The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy
Answer 2
Princess Aiko is now four years old and she will attend Gakushuin Kindergarten starting this April. I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt gratitude to many people who are warmly watching over her. This year, she is experiencing various things through group activities with other children around her own age at the "National Children's Castle," and I think it has been a good opportunity for her to receive various educational stimuli. Furthermore, at my residence she continues to have gymnastic lessons and study music when the "National Children's Castle" is closed. I believe that engaging in activities with children of a slightly different age range is also meaningful.
Recently, she often plays games such as iroha-garuta and shinkei suijaku, and like the previous year, at this New Year's she pounded mochi, played Japanese card games, flew a kite, and played with a top. I believe Princess Aiko has been able to experience traditional Japanese play. Last year, through growing vegetables in the garden, I think that she was able to experience the joy of watching vegetables grow and then harvesting them. I was impressed to see her go down to the garden to water the plants every day. Now she is looking forward to picking strawberries. She took the products of her garden to Their Majesties The Emperor and Empress or gave them to friends, and she seems to enjoy sharing things with everyone.
I sometimes catch glimpses of her thoughtfulness toward us and the people around her. Even on the evening of the birthday of Princess Masako last December when Princess Masako was in bed with a cold, she visited Princess Masako's bedroom, bringing the Princess' birthday cake, in order to express her gratitude for the care that she had received when she had caught a cold before that. It also appears that at the "National Children's Castle" she lends a hand to children who are younger than her, saying, "When I could not do it, such and such a person helped me."
It is worth pointing out that on New Year's Day this year when we were going to the Imperial Palace, it seems that she saw all the reporters and other people standing at the gate and said, "Everyone is standing out in the cold, so I will wave my dog's paw at them."
She is also very interested in sumo wrestling. When she wrestles with us or our staff members, she reenacts the sumo wrestling techniques. She also reads the names of sumo wrestlers in kana in a book about sumo, and remembers well the first and last names of sumo wrestlers. For example, she remembers Yokozuna Asashoryu as "Asashoryu Akinori." She sometimes writes these names in hiragana. To be honest, she is better than me when it comes to the names of sumo wrestlers. When she watches sumo matches on TV, she comes up with phrases like, "Dare dare ni hoshi ga tsuita yo. Ureshiina. (I am happy that such and such a wrestler won.)" in seven-and-five syllable meter. I want to watch lovingly over her eagerness and independence, while cherishing her childlike curiosity and humor.
At the same time, I have heard that self-assertiveness gets stronger at the age of four. Nevertheless, the rules and manners of society are important, and I believe that it is important to gradually teach her and have her gain an understanding of these things. It is probably necessary to also share information about raising children with parents in our generation while valuing the advice of the generation of our parents, who have vast experience in parenting.
I believe that excursions are good chances for Princess Aiko to get to know the outside world. She also has more opportunities to greet guests when they visit our residence. From time to time we visit the Imperial Palace, and Princess Aiko appears to be always looking forward to going. She will be entering kindergarten shortly, and we would like to treasure the time that we have until then and allow her to have as much different experience as possible.
With regard to the education that Princess Aiko will receive as a member of the Imperial Family, I think it should be considered at a slightly later stage. At the time when I myself entered kindergarten, I believe that there was emphasis on my growing up as an individual child. Nevertheless, I remember that when I entered kindergarten, which was the first place where I experienced group learning, my parents, now Their Majesties The Emperor and Empress, went out of their way to help me in various ways. In particular, it seemed that they thought about various things such as the development of my physical strength so that I could have fun playing with other children after I entered kindergarten. This included things like having me jump, skip, run, or climb trees. They trusted the school policies, and I am grateful to them for entrusting the schools with everything.
My memories of my first year of kindergarten are fragmentary, but I still have them, so I am deeply moved by the fact that our child is approaching this age. Princess Masako is also devoted to child rearing, and we make sure that we have many opportunities to discuss things together. From here on, we will respect the educational policies of the teachers at Gakushuin Kindergarten, and hope that through playing with children of her own age at kindergarten Princess Aiko will learn various things including the rules of society and that she will grow up in good health.
Sounds like a great future Empress

Old 03-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Crown Prince Naruhito speaks to the media at his residence Togu Palace in Tokyo March 10, 2006, ahead of his visit to Mexico. Naruhito will attend the World Water Forum, which will be held in Mexico City on March 16-22, on his third visit to the country since 1992

from yahoo/reuters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r2144526074.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	231809   Click image for larger version

Name:	ra4266124562.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	231810  

Old 03-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Japan prince says royals should adapt to the times
"While honouring the duties we have been doing, I would like to find and perform duties that meet the modern times and those that we can do because we are of this generation," Naruhito told reporters ahead of an official trip next week to Mexico.......................
Naruhito said his wife was now feeling better, enjoying watching their 4-year-old daughter, Aiko, grow up and busy making preparations for her to start nursery school in April...............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060310/3/2h4vf.html

Crown prince shows desire to address water-related issues
...............He will make a keynote speech on "Edo and Water Transportation," in which he will explain the role of water transportation as well as water supply for the development of Edo, which is now Tokyo. Edo was the de facto capital of the Tokugawa shogunate (1603-1867)................
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060310/kyodo/d8g8nn0od.html

Japanese Prince Says Wife's Health Better
..............."Masako is recovering steadily but slowly," Naruhito, 46, told a news conference at his Togu palace ahead of his scheduled trip next week to Mexico, where he will deliver a speech at an international water summit. "But she is not well enough to perform overseas official duties that involve a long trip."........................"I truly hope there will be an opportunity to visit a foreign country with Masako as soon as possible," the Crown Prince said......................
http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs..../API/603100793

Japan Crown Prince: Crown Princess Masako's health improving but not fully
..............Crown Princess Masako, a Harvard-Oxford educated former diplomat, has been receiving counseling and medication for stress-induced depression since she retreated from official duties in late 2003...............The crown prince said his 43-year-old wife has taken private outings more often and accompanied him on some official duties recently under her doctor's recommendation. She is also enjoying preparing for their 4-year-old daughter Princess Aiko's enrollment in the kindergarten next month, he added.....................During the six day trip beginning March 15, Naruhito will also make a brief visit in Vancouver, Canada, before returning to Tokyo on March 21.
http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/nation...na027000c.html

Below 2 from Profimedia

#1: JIJI press
#2: Kunaicho website
#3: ANN news video- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
#4: TBS news video- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
#5: FNN news video- http://meta.cdn.yahoo-streaming.jp/c...1&media=wm300k
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060310-04311632-jijp-soci-view-001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	231908   Click image for larger version

Name:	denka-h18gaikoku.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	231909   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060310-00000029-ann-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	231910   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060310-00000059-jnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	231911  

Name:	20060310-00000445-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	231912  
Old 03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Serene Highness

[quote]I truly hope there will be an opportunity to visit a foreign country with Masako as soon as possible," the Crown Prince said......................
http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?[quote]

OK -- Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Spain..... hoping somehow these crownprincely couples read this remark and get a visit organized!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

updated video news links in post #64
Old 03-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Press Conference by His Imperial Highness The Crown Prince on the Occasion of His Visit to Mexico (2006)
Date: 10 March 2006
At the Residence Question 2
Please tell us what Your Imperial Highnesses talked about as a couple concerning the fact that Her Imperial Highness Crown Princess Masako is foregoing this visit and your preparations for the visit. Moreover, please tell us your thoughts on future overseas visits as a couple.
Answer 2
In spite of receiving an invitation from the Government of Mexico for the two of us to visit the country, it is very regrettable that we are unable to return this courtesy. Princess Masako herself very much regrets that she is unable to make the visit. On the occasion of meeting the President, I, on behalf of Princess Masako, intend to convey her regards.
Princess Masako is, although gradually, making a steady recovery, and indeed recently she has become able to carry out some official duties as a step towards recovery. However, she has not yet recovered to the point where she can fulfill such official duties as overseas visits which require traveling over long distances and are carried out over an extended length of time. My solo visit to Mexico this time is a decision that was made upon consultations with the doctors.
Regarding this visit, I have been showing Princess Masako the photo album from my previous visits to Mexico and have been sharing my memories of those visits. In fact, I heard that Princess Masako has once visited Puerto Rico because one of her close friends when she was attending university in the United States was from Puerto Rico. Although it seems that Princess Masako has not been to any other Latin American regions, we sometimes talk about her recollections of her experiences with Latin America including Latin American culture. I sincerely wish that the time will come soon when Princess Masako and I can go overseas together.

Related Question 1
How is Her Imperial Highness Princess Aiko taking your visit to Mexico? Please tell us, if anything, what you have said to her regarding this visit.
Answer 1
I have told Princess Aiko that I will be traveling to Mexico and then to Canada for a total of approximately a week starting next week, but I presume she does not fully understand that I will be away for a week in countries across the ocean. However, I also think that in her own child's way she has a vague idea that I will be away from Japan in some other country for a total of a week. There are still a few more days until I leave, so during the next few days, I would like to talk to her a little bit about Mexico in a manner that is easy for a child to understand.

More in the link below
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/koutaishi/...aikoku-01.html
Old 04-13-2006, 02:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Photos from Kunaicho website (both taken at Togu Palace)
#1: March 9, 2006.
#2: March 10, 2006.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060309n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	238011   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060310.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	238012  
Old 04-17-2006, 05:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Visit to Japan of The Hon. Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa

April 17, 2006
  1. The Hon. Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa, will visit Japan from Tuesday, April 18, to Friday April 21, 2006.
  2. During her stay in Japan, she will be received in audience by His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince, pay a courtesy call on Mr. Junichiro Koizumi, Prime Minister of Japan, and have meetings with, among others, Mr. Yoshiro Mori, former Prime Minister, and Ms. Chikage Oogi, President of the House of Councillors.
  3. It is expected that through her visit, the cooperative relationship and friendship between Japan and Republic of South Africa is further promoted.
From MOFA
Old 04-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

#1-2: April 21, 2006.
#1: Prince Naruhito at Tokyo JR station to leave for Aichi Prefecture on
Mainichi news
#2: Kyodo news-visiting a factory in Nagoya city
#3-8: April 22, 2006. in Aichi Prefecture
#3: Kyodo news
#4: JIJI press
#5: TBS news
#6: Mainichi news
#7: FNN news
#8: Yomiurinews
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060421-00000020-maip-soci-view-000.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	239361   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060421-00000187-kyodo-soci-thum-000.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	239362   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060422-00000060-kyodo-soci-thum-000.jpg
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	239363   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060422-04392805-jijp-soci-view-001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	239364  

Name:	20060422-00000030-jnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	239388   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060422-00000018-maip-soci-view-000.jpg
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	239413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060422-00000813-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	239414   Click image for larger version

Name:	news002_2.jpg
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	239415  

Old 05-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Photo from Kunaicho website
Below
#1: Feb. 3, 2006.

#1: Feb 28, 2006.
#2: March 31, 2006. in Togu Palace
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060228n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	241625   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060331n.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	241626  
Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Naruhito meeting The Hon. Ms. Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, Deputy President of the Republic of South Africa in Togu Palace on April 19, 2006.

from Kunaicho website
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060419.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	243050  
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Gentry

Rare journey behind the Chrysanthemum curtain

The Thames and I
By Prince Naruhito (translated by Sir Hugh Cortazzi)

Review by Henry Hilton

Scoffers beware. Yes — the title is hopelessly dull and some will automatically suspect the hidden hand of the Imperial Household Agency behind the whole project....

http://www.crisscross.com/jp/book/261
Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee
Rare journey behind the Chrysanthemum curtain

The Thames and I
By Prince Naruhito (translated by Sir Hugh Cortazzi)

Review by Henry Hilton

Scoffers beware. Yes — the title is hopelessly dull and some will automatically suspect the hidden hand of the Imperial Household Agency behind the whole project....

http://www.crisscross.com/jp/book/261
I would love to read this book simply for the first person perspective. Despite claims to the contrary, the heavy hand of the establishment will be present, but what a treat and an insight into the mind of such a seemingly nice man.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Naruhito meeting a group of Chinese high school exchange students at the Togu Palace on May 19, 2006.

FNN news
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060519-00000309-fnn-soci-thumb-000.jpg
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	245133  
Old 05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
I would love to read this book simply for the first person perspective. Despite claims to the contrary, the heavy hand of the establishment will be present, but what a treat and an insight into the mind of such a seemingly nice man.
I ordered a copy from Amazon in the UK and have just finished it. I found it interesting because I was familiar with a lot of the places he was talking about; he certainly seemed to enjoy his visits to all the local pubs!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Naruhito attended a memorial ceremony of the 50th Anniversary of the National University National Language in Japanese literature meeting in Tokyo on June 3, 2006.

#1: Mainichi news
Old 06-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I ordered a copy from Amazon in the UK and have just finished it. I found it interesting because I was familiar with a lot of the places he was talking about; he certainly seemed to enjoy his visits to all the local pubs!
Did you read anything on it that gives us a closer glimpse of the man behind the book?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Not really, except that he managed to cram an awful lot of work and play into his time in England! I think the book was fairly carefully stage managed to give the impression of a well-meaning and earnest young prince expanding his horizons without going off the rails. He did seem to enjoy his food and drink; it doesn't sound as though there were many pubs he didn't visit! The translation is interesting because it isn't really fluent and eloquent English; you can tell that it's a foreigner speaking.

I'm not sure how interested people would be in the book if they weren't familiar with Britain and especially Oxford. I've always liked reading about the Thames so I enjoyed the book a lot. It interesting that he chose to study history when there's such a tradition of studying zoology in the imperial family.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

In other words, Elspeth, Prince Naruhito kind of wrote a Fodor's Travel guide?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sort of. He spends a chapter talking about his research and a chapter talking about the history of the university and a chapter about his life as a graduate student; he also talks about the people he met (although the other students aren't identified by their full names) and the trips he took to other parts of the UK and Europe. There almost seemed too much in there for a person to do in two years!

Tags
crown prince naruhito, naruhito, prince naruhito