The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I'm sure other members of the family could fill in for the Emperor, as far as fulfilling his duties.

I think it is more likely fears for his father's health that keep the Crown Prince from leaving his country at this time.
Considering that the crown prince – unlike us - probably already knew that there were complications with his father´s recovery process when he canceled the trip to France, I suppose you are right. Concerns for his father´s health certainly played a role.
But while other members of the IF could, of course, “technically” fill in for the emperor, imo it is also important that it is the first duty of the crown prince to do that. I think that one of the reasons why the emperor has difficulties to “let go” is that he is afraid that nobody will be able to do things as well as he. That the crown prince cancels a trip that he had set his heart upon in order to step in for the emperor, is imo also a message to his father: “Don´t worry, I know my duties and I will always put them first. Relax.”

Quote:
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra met Japanese Crown Prince Naruhito yesterday and wished his father Emperor Akihito, who underwent heart bypass surgery last month, a speedy recovery.

The prince thanked Ms Yingluck for her concern and for her planned visit to a tsunami-hit city in northeast Japan, the Imperial Household Agency said.
Bangkok Post

Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the update!
It is nice to see Crown Prince Naruhito partly taking over his father's duties.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Lytvyn invites Japan’s Crown Prince Naruhito to visit Ukraine

Quote:
During a meeting I’ve invited Crown Prince to visit Ukraine. He said that he’ll do with pleasure when a decision is made under a procedure existing in Japan,” Lytvyn told reporters on March 9 after a meeting with Crown Prince Naruhito.

The speaker said that a problem that unites Ukraine and Japan – the issue of Chornobyl and Fukushima – and cooperation in the area were discussed at the meeting.

Lytvyn said that another issue for discussion was the issue of how Ukraine ensures safe conditions for living. In addition, Crown Prince was interested in provision of high-quality water in Ukraine.

Photo gallery
Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito meets Mongolian Prime Minister Sukhbaatar Batbold

Quote:
The Prime Minister of Mongolia S.Batbold, who is on an official visit to Japan upon the invitation from the Japanese Government, together with his spouse Mrs. Kh.Otgontuya paid a visit to the Crown Prince Naruhito's Palace and was received in audience by the Prince of Japan on March 12, 2012.

At the beginning of the meeting, the Prime Minister has expressed his sorrow on the lives taken away and the loss that Japan faced when a catastrophic disaster struck Japan on March 11 last year and his credibility upon that the diligent people of Japan would rebuild their country in near future and emphasized that his schedule for this visit has been put forward by a day in order to attend the commemorating ceremony for the victims of the disaster. [...]

The Crown Prince Naruhito visited Mongolia in 2007 and was familiarized with the Mongolian culture and lifestyle hence he expressed his satisfaction on the visit and asked about the weather conditions in Mongolia, livestock matters and nomads life.
InfoMongolia.com (with picture)

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito has sent a video message in English to the World Water Forum that takes place in Marseille, France (12-17 March 2012). (He originally intended to attend the forum but canceled the trip last week because he has to step in for his recovering father.)

In his speech titled “Water and Disaster - Learning from the history of tsunamis“, the prince expressed his deep gratitude for the help that the international community had offered Japan after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami last year. He then quoted from historical descriptions of a large tsunami that had hit Japan over 1,000 years ago and that was similar in size to the March 11th earthquake.
Quote:
“Learning from history is essential when addressing mega-disasters because similar events can be found only after a long span of time.”
The prince remarked that "practical lessons on how to react and respond to disasters may be learned by carefully examining and analyzing past experiences". He did not fail to gently hint at the fact that human activity plays an important part in influencing how frequently nature catastrophes happen and that there are measures that can politically be taken to protect people from at least part of the damage.
Quote:
The United Nations announced in 2011 that the world population exceeded 7 billion. It reached 6 billion only 13 years ago. The rapid increase of population accelerated marginal use of freshwater. As a result, minor fluctuations of rainfall result in acute pressure on people and society. The pressure also tends to force people to live in flood-prone areas which they had formerly avoided, which might lead globally to the increased frequency and damage from floods. As shown in the inventory of recent disasters, many severe disasters are occurring globally. [...] We have learned that disasters are an integral part of a complex equation among food, energy, environment, and other key conditions that determine the stability and sustainability of the world. [...]

Historical lessons and experiences can be used to build a disaster-resilient society under slogans such as “living with water-related disasters”. Water related disasters are one of the key urgent issues which the international community should address squarely for globally sustainable development. Disasters strike when we least expect them. I will do my best, together with you, to share and make use of the experience and lessons in Japan and elsewhere in order to help build a safer and better future for all.
The prince used several photos and maps to illustrate his speech, here for example Sendai Airport of Miyagi Prefecture before and after the catastrophe.
Quote:
I landed at this airport on June 4th, 2011 when I visited the affected area. When the airplane started its descent, I was dumbfounded. I witnessed ruined levees off the coast, completely torn-down pine trees along the seashore, and vast barren lands where there ought to have been lively towns and streets.
Quote:
This picture is of Ofunato City in Iwate Prefecture (Figure 10). After disembarking from the helicopter, my wife and I visited the evacuees in Ofunato City, north of Rikuzen-takata. We were deeply impressed by their positive attitude and spirit. Despite all the hardships and inconvenience of living in temporary houses away from home, they were united to help one another, had established a community group, and were overcoming difficulties patiently, and step by step (Figure 11).
The emperor is scheduled to meet the emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, who will visit Japan from March, 20. (Source) But as the emperor is still recuperating, I suppose that his son will cover that engagement for him.
The crown prince and princess made an official visit to Kuwait in January 1995.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown prince congratulates medical award winners

Quote:
Crown Prince Naruhito met with recipients of the 40th Yomiuri Awards for Medical Dedication at the Imperial Palace on Friday, to show appreciation for the efforts of medical professionals working under difficult circumstances.

"I deeply appreciate your enduring efforts that have strongly supported various people and regions and brought happiness to many," the crown prince told the 18 recipients on behalf of the Emperor, who is still recuperating from a heart bypass operation last month.
The Yomiuri Shimbun

Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has Masako made any appearances with him recently?
It seems as if Naruhito does everything by himself.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Chile's President Sebastian Pinera was received by Crown Prince Naruhito upon his arrival at the latter's
official Togu Palace residence in Tokyo on March 28, 2012. Pinera is on a three-day visit to Japan.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/daylife gallery **
Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the pics!

I am very glad to see that, this time, the emperor has allowed his son to take over.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Monsieur François Oubida has presented his letter of credence by which the President of Burkina Faso formally grants him diplomatic accreditation as ambassador, to Crown Prince Naruhito on March 2, 2012. The event took place in the imperial palace. On the occasion, Prince Naruhito who acted on behalf of his father expressed his gratitude to the President of Burkina Faso for the moral support that he had offered Japan after the 3/11 disaster, and thanked Monsieur Oubida for visiting the victims after his arrival in Japan. (Pic, article in French)

Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
Thanks for the pics!

I am very glad to see that, this time, the emperor has allowed his son to take over.

Perhaps his illness left him with little choice?

(I really suspect that the stress over problems within his family has contributed to the emperor's health problems! How could it be otherwise?)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito Receives Parliament Leader Tsacheva

Quote:
Naruhito, Crown Prince of Japan, received Bulgarian Parliament Chairperson Tsetska Tsacheva at his residence on Monday [...] The Crown Prince highly commended the idea that Bulgarian parliamentarians should visit one of the parts of Japan which were hit hardest by tsunami in 2011. Tsacheva was strongly impressed with the effective steps taken by the Japanese government to cope with the dire consequences of the natural disaster, and emphasized the morale, stamina, unity and diligence of the Japanese people.
Bulgarian News Agency

Quote:
Mrs. Tsacheva gave to prince Naruhito "Marks of the Historical Chronicle" - finely framed copies of documents marking the important moments in the relations between Bulgaria and Japan. The set includes personal correspondence revealing the close relations of Japan's royal family with Bulgaria such as a letter written by the hand of late Emperor Hirohito notifying Bulgaria's Tsar Boris III on the birth of his first son Akihito, who is the current emperor of Japan.
Standart

Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Crown Prince Naruhito received Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas for a meeting at the
Togu Palace in Tokyo April 13, 2012. Abbas is in Japan for a four-day visit.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife **
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Vice State President Nguyen Thi Doan yesterday paid a courtesy visit to Crown Prince Naruhito while attending the 18th conference on the Future of Asia in Tokyo from May 24-25. Doan conveyed an invitation to the emperor and empress to visit the country during Viet Nam – Japan Friendship Year 2013, which coincides with the 40th anniversary of diplomatic ties.
Quote:
Vice President Doan said she believes by efforts and talent, the Japanese people will soon overcome challenges to rebuild a prosperous country in the wake of disasters last year. The Vietnamese State, Government and people are ready to do their utmost to help the Japanese people, Doan said. Doan informed her host of co-operative activities between the two countries, such as mangrove forest projects in Vietnamese localities, voluntary youth exchanges and Red Cross training in humanitarian blood donation. [...]

Crown Prince Naruhito expressed thanks to the Vietnamese people for their support to Japan following the triple disasters last March. He said he believed the visit will make important contributions to further consolidating friendship between the two countries.
Tuoitrenews

Image (VNA)

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito to visit 3 Southeast Asian countries
Quote:
Crown Prince Naruhito will make a weeklong official trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos beginning June 25, the government said Tuesday. The crown prince will stay two nights in each of the capitals of the three countries to attend banquets and other welcoming events, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

In Thailand, he will pay a courtesy call on King Bhumibol Adulyadej and inspect the Chao Phraya River, which caused massive floods last year in Bangkok. The crown prince also plans to visit Camdodia's Angkor Wat and Laos's Luang Phabang, both designated as world heritage sites.
June 05, 2012(Mainichi Japan)

The crown prince seems to recently have climbed a mountain or something of the sort. Pictures
Maybe mariaantoniapia can tell us more? Here is a video and an article (in Japanese).

Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown prince to visit 3 S.E. Asian nations

Quote:
Crown Prince Naruhito will leave for a weeklong tour of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos on June 25. [...] The crown prince last visited Thailand in 1994. He has never visited Cambodia or Laos. [...] During the tour, the crown prince is scheduled to meet leaders of the three countries. [...] He will also lay flowers at memorial monuments for the Japanese police officer Haruyuki Takata, who was in a U.N. peacekeeping mission in Cambodia, and Atsuhito Nakata, a Japanese volunteer who was working for a U.N. election-monitoring program in the country. Both were killed in armed attacks in Cambodia in 1993.
Daily Yomiuri, Jun. 6, 2012

Old 06-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito has welcomed Belgium´s Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde
Daylife Gallery

Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan to visit Thailand from June 25-27
Quote:
His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan is scheduled to pay an official visit to Thailand as guest of the Thai government from June 25-27. [...] During the royal visit, the Japanese Crown Prince will be granted an audience by His Majesty the King and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. He is also scheduled to meet with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for bilateral talks. Additionally, Crown Prince Naruhito will visit heritage sites in Ayutthaya province as well as giving an audience to members of the Japanese community in Thailand.

His Imperial Highness had previously visited Thailand in 1980, 1987 and 1994.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Last Wednesday, Crown Prince Naruhito headed to Saudi Arabia to make a condolence call on the death of Saudi Crown Prince Nayef at the Royal Court in Jeddah, June 20, 2012. Article1, article2

Pictures of his departure

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Salman bin Abdulaziz talks to Crown Prince Naruhito during the condolence call at the Royal Court in Jeddah, June 20, 2012.

Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan to visit Thailand
Quote:
His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan is scheduled to pay an of ficial visit to Thailand as guest of the Thai government from June 25-27. [...] During the royal visit, the Japanese Crown Prince will be granted an audience by His Majesty the King and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. He is also scheduled to meet with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for bilateral talks. [...]

His Imperial Highness had previously visited Thailand in 1980, 1987 and 1994.
Landmark visit by Japanese crown prince
Quote:
Great business and symbolic significance will be attached to the visit of Japan’s Crown Prince Naruhito, the heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne, when he arrives in Cambodia next Thursday, June 27. This is the first such visit to Cambodia for the heir apparent to the oldest continuing hereditary monarchy in the world and probably the first visit by a member of Japan’s royal family.

Dr Hajime Fujiwara, a geologist, former Texas oil man and author of 50 books, told me about Crown Prince Naruhito’s visit. He says Crown Prince Naruhito is very interested in water resources and the environment, not only for Japan, but for the whole world. Fujiwara says the Japanese people were touched by outpourings of support from the Cambodian people following the the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011, which caused the horrific Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, the effects of which will be with us for generations.[...]

These gestures from Cambodia, traditionally the recipient of aid from Japan, resonated with the Japanese people. The Cambodian people told the Japanese people to please use the aid money Cambodia would have gotten for their own people who were suffering as a result of the disaster. The magnificence of this gesture is why Japan’s Crown Prince Naruhito is coming next week. [...]

Japan reopened its embassy in Phnom Penh in 1992. Through entities like JICA, the Asian Development Bank, other development organisations and private companies, Japan has been steadily involved in Cambodia’s reconstruction.

Japan provides funding for the Khmer Rouge trials, restoration works at Bayon Temple and many other projects helpful to Cambodians.
Japan’s Crown Prince Naruhito makes first visit to Thailand
Quote:
Visiting for three days, upon his arrival Crown Prince Naruhito will be taken to Government House, where he will be officially welcomed by Ms. Yingluck, who actually first met him last month, as part of her first official visit to Japan. Quite possibly the highlight of his stay, Naruhito will get to visit the Chakri Mahaprasart Throne Hall, where he will get the chance to meet Thailand’s King and Queen on Monday night. Japanese Ambassador Kojima commented that, in part, the visit is to celebrate the lasting diplomatic relations between Japan and Thailand, which as of 2012 have lasted for 126 years.
Japan's crown prince to visit Thailand

Crown prince to visit Monday
Quote:
On Tuesday, Crown Prince Naruhito will visit Ayutthaya, then enjoy lunch on a boat cruise back to Bangkok hosted by Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi. Mr Kojima said the Chao Phraya cruise would be of interest to the crown prince who serves as the honorary president of the United Nations Secretary-General's advisory board on water and sanitation.

"Japan's history mainly involves its struggle against natural disasters including tsunamis, earthquakes and floods. Minister Plodprasop will explain how last year's flood took place, how it affected the country and what counter measures are being implemented," the envoy said.

The 53-year-old crown prince first visited Thailand 32 years ago and made two transit stops in Bangkok in 1987 and 1994. This will be his fourth time in Thailand, but the first official one.

His father Emperor Akihito visited Thailand when he was the crown prince in 1964 and again in 1994 as emperor. The emperor's last visit to Thailand was to attend the 60th anniversary of the ascension of King Bhumibol to the throne in June 2006.

"The dynasties have very close relations and this visit, which includes meetings with Prime Minister Yingluck [Shinawatra] and key cabinet members will enhance the good cooperation between the two countries," he said.

He said the crown prince will also express his gratitude to Thais for contributing to humanitarian assistance to Japan during the tsunami last year.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Japanese Crown Prince to visit Thailand's ancient city
Quote:
During his three-day official visit, Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan will make a royal visit to Ayutthaya province, Thailand's former capital and historical city in central region. The Crown Prince is scheduled to visit the Ayutthaya Historical Study Center and the Japanese village in the province.

The Ayutthaya Historical Study Center was established in 1986 under the cooperation between Thai and Japanese scholars. The province has been chosen as the site of the center because it had served as a former capital of Thailand for 417 years and provided the foundation of modern Thai culture.
Researcher keeps watch on Angkor Wat for half a century
Quote:
For half a century, Yoshiaki Ishizawa, a former president of Sophia University, has studied and worked to preserve the World Heritage Site of Angkor Wat in Cambodia. Ishizawa, 74, is now preparing to guide Crown Prince Naruhito when he visits the complex on Thursday.

Many of Ishizawa's Cambodian colleagues were lost in the massacres perpetrated by the Pol Pot regime and the nation's civil war. He has also seen the temples deteriorate, but he continues to offer assistance, saying, "I want Cambodians to preserve these great ruins."

"I want to tell the crown prince about Cambodian Buddhism's worldview, which is carved in a gallery," Ishizawa said. [...]

The Khmer Empire, which built Angkor Wat, also constructed excellent water-utilization systems, which supported a prosperous life for its people.

The crown prince's academic life work is studying transportation by water, water utilization and other water-related affairs. He is said to be interested in water utilization at Angkor Wat.
The Yomiuri Shimbun (Jun. 24, 2012)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Crown Prince Naruhito with Crown Princess Masako at their residence Togu Palace in Tokyo on June 25 as he bids her farewell before leaving for Thailand, Cambodia and Laos for his week long Southeast Asian tour.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/reuters/daylife **

Tags
crown prince naruhito, naruhito, prince naruhito