The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko View Post
Wooooo I love what Masako sama is wearing! she looks lovely!!!
Kimono isnt very comforable to wear- (imagine having to go to the bathroom in them....), so if I had a choice, I rather not.
I'm delighted to see her out and about more than before. And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?
Hmmmm. The fact if Princess Masako isn't a traditionalist. Recently, here in Argentina, a Japanese cook - a woman - told her audience that women from today in Jpana - not only nobility or royals - had brought the kimono to fashion again, and it is common to be seen in galas, important parties and even in movies and theaters. And I tends to believe her, since I've seen a lot of documentaries and movies about modern Japan and a lot of women in the street could be seen wearing kimonos. I don't think kimonos could be so bad to go to the bathroom and so on. When Maxiskirts where in fashion, they must be not to useful to go to the bathroom but women wore them, because it was in fashion, Besides, old ladies wore only kimonos and they must also go to the bathroom ...weren't they? And just think that bathrooms , back then, were not hald of modern as they are today. Vanesa.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?
Me too, I think her face and smile seem of a relaxed and happy woman.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma93 View Post
I agree with you, seiko.But because both Michiko and Kiko wear kimono, so i wonder why Masako wasn't, she is Crown Princess.
There probably wasnt a particular reason why CP wasn't wearing kimono, except if you listen to the video in Japanese, it says CP Masako's attendance was arranged rather quickly/hastly.

Ladies, the "bathroom" and kimono bit was meant to be a joke! but I must add that not all bathroom in Japan are sit on type

Crown Prince look so happy when Masako sama is by his side. I hope she continues well with her recovery.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Nice to see the CPss recovered !!!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Gentry

Crown Princess Masako attend a greenery event scheduled in Yokohama together with Crown Prince Naruhito.

http://img.47news.jp/PN/200904/PN200...-.-.CI0003.jpg
http://www.jiji.com/news/photos/phot...iew7938961.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/cult...1315002-p1.jpg
Her and him look so happy and comfortable

Oh, i'm very very happy for her.She appeared more and more in public, CROWN PRINCESS MASAKO RECOVERED
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma93 View Post
Crown Princess Masako attend a greenery event scheduled in Yokohama together with Crown Prince Naruhito.

http://img.47news.jp/PN/200904/PN200...-.-.CI0003.jpg
http://www.jiji.com/news/photos/phot...iew7938961.jpg
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/photos/cult...1315002-p1.jpg
Her and him look so happy and comfortable

Oh, i'm very very happy for her.She appeared more and more in public, CROWN PRINCESS MASAKO RECOVERED
Thanks lots of keep us update, emma. I'm also surprised and happy seeing the Princess's schedules are more and more regularly. It shows that her recovery is working now.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Commoner

Goodness, I didn't expect to see more!! I'm so happy to see her more confident and comfortable.

Thank you, emma.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Aristocracy

Wow, the CPss has been pretty active these days !!
It would be a sign of her steady recovery.

Wish CPss a steady recovery and I hope to see her more in public.

Emma93: Thanks a lot for all your posting of photos and videos !!!! All are awesome !!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Gentry

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/news/20090419204...i-view-000.jpg
Japan Guide Dog Association Kanagawa training center
I hope crwon princess Masako will be perfectly healthy.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy
Picture of the Month Representative Japan

Crown Princess visits Yokohama | The Japan Times Online

Crown Princess visits Yokohama
Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Courtier

I've hoped for so long that she would be well enough to start being in public more, so these latest events are really a great sign that she is better.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife View Post
I've hoped for so long that she would be well enough to start being in public more, so these latest events are really a great sign that she is better.
I agree with you !!! Maybe this year Princess Masako comes back!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Aristocracy

So glad to see her out and about, i hope she'll be able to take more duties as well as otker members of imperial family.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
Hmmmm. The fact if Princess Masako isn't a traditionalist. Recently, here in Argentina, a Japanese cook - a woman - told her audience that women from today in Jpana - not only nobility or royals - had brought the kimono to fashion again, and it is common to be seen in galas, important parties and even in movies and theaters. And I tends to believe her, since I've seen a lot of documentaries and movies about modern Japan and a lot of women in the street could be seen wearing kimonos. I don't think kimonos could be so bad to go to the bathroom and so on. When Maxiskirts where in fashion, they must be not to useful to go to the bathroom but women wore them, because it was in fashion, Besides, old ladies wore only kimonos and they must also go to the bathroom ...weren't they? And just think that bathrooms , back then, were not hald of modern as they are today. Vanesa.
Masako has worn kimonos in the past, I think Seiko's explanation is the accurate one as to why Masako wasn't in kimono. It's not accurate to describe Masako as a non-traditionalist, she hasn't done anything to demonstrate that. She was a good Japanese girl who studied hard even in her holidays and to please her father she went for a job in the Foreign ministry to follow in his footsteps as he didn't have a son. Kiko is far less a traditionalist as she continued with her PhD studies even after she married and had children ( unheard of in Japanese society where women give up work and study once they marry) Kiko writes children's books which were published last year.

Kimonos have never been out of fashion but as they are very expensive even to rent they are only used for special occasions. Also few Japanese women know how to dress themselves in kimono so they need to hire a dresser for the occasion. Kimonos are worn by children at the ages of 3, 5 and 7 for the Festival of shichigosan in November they are taken to the shrines to receive blessings, western children too, not just Japanese. When girls graduate from high school they wear kimonos for the graduation ceremony and for university graduation too. Adult's Day in January is a great day for kimono watching young women outdo each other with the kimonos they wear for the 'becoming an adult' ceremony which is held the year they turn 20. Japanese legally become adults at 20, young men just wear suits. The kimonos are rented, and even rented they cost around $3000 for the one day. Buy your own and you will be 10s of 1000s of dollars poorer. Other occasions for kimono wearing mothers of the bride and groom at weddings, also guests, including westerners if they want to wear kimonos.
Dressing in a kimono is a complicated and time consuming job. There are 3 layers and each layer is tied, no buttons, zips or fasteners. I've been dressed in formal kimonos and it took some time! It's not something you whip on quickly.
The beautiful silk kimonos that you see are actually winter kimonos, the summer ones are simpler and are cotton and cooler to wear. They're called Yukata and are more popular among young women as they are easier to dress in.
Finally kimono actually means ' a thing to wear' 'ki' is wear 'mono' is thing.

Going to the bathroom in a kimono isn't easy, they are tight and it's possible only to take small steps. Also public toilets ( and toilets in the past) are all squat toilets in Japan.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks a lot for the explanation on kimonos ! I have also heard that they are one of the most precious possessions of Japanese women, and many pass through generations.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Commoner

Goodness Charlotte, I couldnt have explained it better than you did. Thank you:-)
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Excellent explanation, Charlotte! There's a great deal to know and learn about Kimonos. And yes, I knew they were not cheap - a friend of mine who is taiwanese, sells Eastern traditional clothes and Kimonos are the most expensive of all them - but I suppose a Princess may afford almost one... (Sorry, I cannot use smilies)Thanks for the info Charlotte!Vanesa.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

It's not only you, seiko, who thinks that her smile looks more genuine. She seems to have a real twinkle in her eyes now.

Quote:
And is it only me who thinks her smile looks less forced than they did in the past?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

It is great that Crown Princess Masako makes more public appearances and undertakes various official engagements. She looks relaxed and comfortable. So does Crown Prince Naruhito. There must have been good reasons for not wearing a kimono as Empress Michiko and Princess Kiko did.

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, current events