The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJanet View Post
I understand the need for amale emporer, but look at this three people. Father failed not only by producing only a daughter but also because he was stuborn and chose the wife, who failed as a mother and wife because she only gave birth to a daughter and is always ill. The girl is a disapointment for everyone, since she s only a girl, there is nothing she can accomplish to make up for what seems like a birth-defect. This is so terribly sad. And they look the part.
Just so I make sure I understand you- you see them all as failures because they could not produce a male baby, struggled under immense pressure and don't look as "pretty" as you think royals should look?

If that is really what you are saying, your comments are offensive and abusive.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
Just so I make sure I understand you- you see them all as failures because they could not produce a male baby, struggled under immense pressure and don't look as "pretty" as you think royals should look?

Ah, i interpreted MissJanet's comments as a statement against how their situation is viewed by certain people in Japan itself by whom this family is probably viewed as not much of a succes...

But you're right, the post could be explained otherwise too...(in which case it's one of the most depressing posts i've read on these forums for a long time)

Old 08-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Nobility

Either way you look at it in thirty years the Imperial line will be pretty much non existent...An emperor, his wife, one or two kids and maybe few middle aged princesses who never married. They simply have allow the females a place in the royal succession by either by letting them inherit or at least make provisions or their sons to.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post

Oh my, that is not my opinion. It's like Lee-Z writes. This is how some people in Japan see this family. And that makes me really sad and mad.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Nobility

It's still a very patriarchal nation, especially the Imperial Household Agency. The IHA is an ancient, hereditary body that has an iron grip on the family and females will continue to be viewed as inferior as long as the IHA is control.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Oh my, that is not my opinion. It's like Lee-Z writes. This is how some people in Japan see this family. And that makes me really sad and mad.
Thanks for clarifying! I agree- this kind of view toward this family is beyond awful.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

It's not as simple as that. Most of the posts about this are very one-sided, imo, with full sympathy towards this family and criticism of both the "bullying" IHA and the unfeeling response of a segment of the Japanese people.

BUT. The Duchess of Cambridge has been criticized for having a poor work-ethic, and Princess Charlene for not securing the succession. So it isn't only in Japan where things like this become an issue.

And I've heard the Japanese reference to "Masako disease" (an illness that strikes when you are about to go to work but from which you make an instantaneous recovery if there is something going on that you'd like to do).

I don't mean to offend anyone by this, or intend this as a slam against Naruhito and his family; it's just that I can see both sides, and I understand why they MIGHT possibly come across as disappointing to their countrymen.
I don't pretend to know which side is accurate.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako visited Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture on September 22 to visit people who lost their homes in March 2011 because of the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

** newsonjapan.com: Crown Prince, Princess visit disaster evacuees in Fukushima **

** kyodonews.jp: Crown prince, princess visit displaced people in Fukushima **

** japantimes.co.jp: Crown Prince, Princess visit disaster evacuees in Fukushima **

Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako attended the 20th anniversary ceremony of the International Youth Exchange in Tokyo on September 26, 2013.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Old 09-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for your posts, iceflower. I think that CP Masako is doing better. This makes three public appearances in about a month. We haven't seen that for awhile.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Lovely pictures,it is great to see CP Masako doing her royal duties! I have always loved her beautiful smile and recently she seems to be smiling a lot, even though I expected we would not see her at many events, especially not in such a good condition considering her emotional issues.
. Helen Keller
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Thank you for your posts, iceflower. I think that CP Masako is doing better. This makes three public appearances in about a month. We haven't seen that for awhile.

You are most welcome! And it continues that way - so nice to see:

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako yesterday, October 1, attended the 68th National Arts Festival Opening Performance 'Belshazzar's Feast' at the New National Theatre in Tokyo.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Courtier

Thank you Iceflower for the info on CP of Japan, I just feel so sorry for her living in that family. The only positives are her husband and daughter, she is looking so much better these days.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that CP Masako is doing better.
While there has been too much said about her getting better when she was actually getting worse as far as could be perceived (for example in 2006 after Hisahitos birth which was allegedly a relief for her - but look at her in September 2006, along with Aiko (left pic) - to me, this does not look at all like relief ), this time it actually does seem as if there was some reason to hope. She attended the 20th anniversary ceremony of the International Youth Exchange September 26 on the podium, along with her husband. That was for the first time since 2009! (In the meantime, if she did attend such an event at all, she sat in the audience.) Besides, she joined her husband at the concert rather unexpectedly because she felt better. In recent years, we have most of the time rather heard the contrary, of her cancelling engagements at the last minute because she felt worse.

Lets hope that she will keep getting gradually better (and that her efforts will be appreciated by those around her).

Another pic at the playground in Fukushima

Princess Masako joins crown prince in concert in Tokyo
Quote:
Crown Princess Masako on Tuesday night joined Crown Prince Naruhito at the last minute for a classical music concert in Tokyo marking the opening of an annual art festival hosted by the Agency for Cultural Affairs.

The prince had been scheduled to attend the event alone at the New National Theatre in Shibuya Ward. Arrangements are said to have been hastily made for the princess to join him thanks to an improvement in her health condition. The crown princess has been treated for a stress-induced illness for years. [...]
Crown Princess attends concert

Two more pics: 1 ** 2

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperors statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would not be hanging out anywhere near the Fukushima reactor!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Considering the fact that, according to reports, Hisahito, presently the only imperial heir of his generation (!), has been fed radioactive milk from an imperial farm close to the area where the catastrophe took place, I doubt that the crown princess (or any other imperial family member, for that matter) could afford to stay away from the place. I wonder if the imperial family is even informed about the danger, or rather, (because I am pretty sure they are not being actively informed), how it has been possible to keep such info from an outstanding scientist like the emperor.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperors statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Feeding the heir radioactive milk seems to be a particularly bone-headed thing to do.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Courtier

I dont think they would have fed the heir that milk. Just because some samples in the farm matched for radioactivity, doesnt mean all members of RF have become radioactive.
I agree the intention of that farm itself is to grow organic food for the royals. But then once a catastrophic incident happens in the vicinity, the first instinct/commonsense will be to put hold on the produce, atleast for the time being. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Media is simply adding up the two things and assuming..
Old 10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Your as well my first instinct would certainly be to put an hold on the produce, but not the IHAs first instinct, obviously... They not only did not stop the produce but even kept sending the food to the imperial household, as you can see below.

Denial is a normal human reaction. It is neither rational nor reasonable, and in the case of the Fukushima catastrophe it is admittedly carried very far indeed (not just by the IHA, incidentally, and not just by the Japanese authorities... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
16 Becquerels/kg of Radioactive Cesium from Milk for Japan's Imperial Family
Quote:
That's the headline of the latest issue of Shukan Shincho, a Japanese weekly magazine.

The imperial family has the 252-hectare Imperial Stock Farm managed by the Imperial Household Agency. It is located in Takanezawa-machi in Tochigi Prefecture, and it produces organic vegetables, eggs, meat, and milk for use in the imperial household.

Part of northan Kanto - Ibaraki, Tochigi, and Gunma - has had elevated levels of radiation since the Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant accident last year. Vegetables, mushrooms, teas, and beef from the area have been found with levels of radioactive cesium exceeding the old provisional safety limit of 500 becquerels/kg. But the Imperial Household Agency has kept sending the produce from the Farm to the Imperial Household with young children as if nothing has happened. [...] Prince Hisahito is very fond of the milk from the Imperial Stock Farm [...]

Many on Twitter are saying "They finally talk about it, now? After more than 1 year?"
Tokyo Progressive

There were reports before about the imperial family holidaying in the radiation area, with the crown princely family being especially close to the centre of the radioactivity. [...]

Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

On October 12, the crown prince and princess attended the opening of the National Sports Festival for the Disabled in Tokyo. This is really good news because, according to the Google-translation of a Japanese article I have read recently, Masako originally was not scheduled to attend the opening because her doctors feared that the crowd would be too much for her. She was scheduled to attend her daughters sport festival on the same day and the basketball match on October 13 (see below), but not the opening. There she was, though, beaming! It was the first time after ten years for her to attend the opening of a National Sports Festival for the Disabled.

1 ** 2 ** 3 ** 4 ** 5 ** 6 ** 7 ** 8 ** 9 ** 10 ** 11

Asahi article (in Japanese)

On October 13, the crown prince and princess attended a wheelchair basketball match and a basketball match for the disabled that were part of the National Sports Festival for the Disabled in Tokyo.

1 ** 2 ** 3 ** 4 ** 5 ** 6 ** 7

Asahi article (in Japanese)

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, current events