The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Errmm, just in case some people should have missed the pics of Princess Masako yesterday, they have been posted in the Naruhito-thread.

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako talk at the entrance of the Togu Palace in Tokyo before Naruhito's departure Monday, June 25, 2012.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

It seems he is always going off on his own!
Why does Masako never accompany him to any of these things?
Isn't she allowed to, or doesn't she want to?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The question is imo not, if she does not want to - I am sure she wants. The point would rather be if her health renders her unable to go - or if she is not allowed to. But this is up to everybody´s guess. Obviously, if Masako were not allowed to go, nobody would officially admit that. At first sight, it seems, of course, absurd to even consider that possibility, but, at least in the nineties, it was a fact.

At the time, the then-French president Jacques Chirac had openly expressed his interest in meeting Princess Masako. The princess was informed of this wish via tv – her staff had never told her that there had been an invitation for her to France nor that it had been declined, let alone the reasons for this. In the end, she got at least part of the answer through one of her old contacts at the foreign office. She was told that there had been several requests from various countries for her and her husband that had always been declined. Martin Fritz and Yoko Kobayashi who have written a book about Masako talked to an executive of the foreign office concerning this issue who told them: “Those who were in charge of these matters at the IHA always said that the requests for the crown prince and the crown princess had to be declined. They explained that this was necessary so the couple would be free to concentrate on the production of an heir.” (It remains their secret why they thought that Tokyo was so much to be preferred over Paris, in terms of being a good place for the conception of a child.)

You may say that today nobody expects the couple to produce any more children anyway, but Fritz and Kobayashi say that, even in the past, this was by far not the only reason why the crown prince and, notably, the princess were kept at home. It was just the one that sounded best.

Imo, the fact that Princess Masako was sent to Australia and New Zealand one year after the birth of Aiko, says a lot. That was a reward for "delivering". Accordingly, I think that they won´t let her travel before she fulfills all of her duties within Japan - independent of the question if she might be able to go on an individual trip or not. But that is just my guess that is as good or bad as anyone´s.
There is just one thing we can be sure of, imo: we won´t be told the truth, we will have to find it out ourselves.

(Following recent incidents, I would like to refer anybody who may think the emperor´s statement obvious or redundant to this thread, post #682.)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Are the Japanese people fed up with the Crown Princess being unable to fulfill her public duties? Do they express discontent with her? Any suggestions that she should retire to a convent or perhaps divorce in order to allow her husband to remarry and perhaps have more children?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I think MariaAntoniaPia would be the best person to answer this question if she is around. (Are you? )

But it seems to me that, in this matter, there is no "the Japanese people". Masako is a target for heavy criticism from the ultra-right and has been so for quite some time - like MariaAntoniaPia said when Masako miscarried in 1999 (which made her utterly miserable) right-wingers even put the blame on herself and accused her of having lost a precious imperial foetus. But from what MariaAntoniaPia said in this forum, I get the impression that she herself rather feels for the princess.

It seems also to be a matter of generations, as we have already discussed in this thread.

Quote:
"Articles on the imperial family are widely read because such ordinary problems as child-rearing and delicate relations with in-laws that seem to plague the imperial family make readers feel relieved," said Jin Ito, editor in chief of Shukan Josei, a variety magazine for women. "The difficult environment facing the crown princess is being viewed as a result of generational conflicts with the traditional way of life at the imperial family," he said. "Women in their 30s and 40s, who are our readership base, naturally relate to the problems facing Masako."

Generation gap?

One of those readers is Miki Fuda, a 38-year-old homemaker from Hamura, western Tokyo. Fuda began closely following Masako-related coverage in the media after the crown princess began suffering from stress. She said the princess was likely under tremendous pressure to give birth to a male heir to the Chrysanthemum throne. "When I became pregnant with my second child, there was the unspoken understanding that I must have a boy," she recalled. "When a test at the advanced stage of my pregnancy suggested that I would have another girl, my mother-in-law looked very disappointed and immediately asked if the test was really reliable.

"I was shocked by her reaction and started to feel that I had no value as a member of the family unless I give birth to a boy," she said. "The crown princess must have been in a similar situation, but on a much larger scale. I just cannot help feeling sympathetic toward her."

But a 68-year-old woman in Yachiyo, Chiba Prefecture, who visited the Imperial Palace on Emperor Akihito's birthday on Dec. 23, was critical of the princess, even though she says she feels sympathy for Masako in her tough environment. From the perspective of a mother-in-law, the woman says, Masako appears a bit too self-oriented and assertive.

"I put up with a lot of things while living together with my parents-in-law for over 40 years, but I took care of them until they died at 90 and 98," she said. "But my son and daughter-in-law visit our place twice a year at most, although I and my husband desperately want to see our granddaughters."

She said her son and daughter-in-law never really consulted her on big decisions, such as working after giving birth. "They may say it is a generation thing, but if anybody in a family is too self-oriented and assertive, the relationship among the entire family may go bad. I guess even the imperial family is no exception. I feel kind of relieved because it looks like even they have similar problems that we have."
Source

As Mirabel justly remarked, "it sounds as if that woman who put up with catering to her in-laws for many years feels quite a bit of resentment- more like a feeling of entitlement that now it's her turn to make her daughter-in-law miserable!"

Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
The question is imo not, if she does not want to - I am sure she wants. The point would rather be if her health renders her unable to go - or if she is not allowed to.

Unless she is actually bedridden (which we know she's not), I don't see how it could be a health issue! If it is due to emotional stress, a change of venue is often helpful in these cases.

As for being allowed to go, I would be very surprised if she and her husband agreed to any such restrictions on their activities.

(The part about concentrating on conception is ridiculous, imo. If he is away and they are separated, how could she conceive? Anyway, she is nearly fifty and will not have more children now).
Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
As for being allowed to go, I would be very surprised if she and her husband agreed to any such restrictions on their activities.

(The part about concentrating on conception is ridiculous, imo. If he is away and they are separated, how could she conceive? Anyway, she is nearly fifty and will not have more children now).
As I said, I was talking about what was happening in the nineties. At the time they were BOTH kept at home, and whether you are surprised to hear it or not, there was nothing they could do about it. Nobody asked for their consent. In fact, nobody even INFORMED them that it had been decided that they should stay home. My point, in case it should not have been quite clear, was to say that it is possible that it is happening again what happened back then and for similar reasons - by which, like I have ALSO already said, I do NOT mean the necessity to produce an heir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Unless she is actually bedridden (which we know she's not), I don't see how it could be a health issue! If it is due to emotional stress, a change of venue is often helpful in these cases.
Concerning illness, there are all sorts of illnesses with all sorts of effects. Particularly mental illnesses CAN be nearly invisible for medical non-experts. On the other hand, you may well be right and a change of venue might prove helpful in Masako´s case. We just do not know.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The crown prince´s trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos

This video shows the crown prince during his trip as well as with his wife and daughter upon his return.

The crown princess and her daughter welcome their husband and father home on July 1, 2012
4 They look very happy on this one.
5 (Click to enlarge)

Old 08-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko were seen upon arrival at Izukyu Shimoda station in Shimoda on August 12, 2012. The family planned to stay at the Suzaki Imperial Villa for a couple of days.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

More pictures of Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko on August, 12.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko will pass the rest of their holiday at the imperial villa in Nasu.
Here are some pictures of the family as they arrive at Nasushiobara station.
Video (Asahi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko were seen upon arrival at Izukyu Shimoda station in Shimoda on August 12, 2012...
Another pic, same occasion.

Masako and her fans

Old 09-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito will visit Luxembourg from Oct. 18 to 21 to attend the wedding of Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume. His wife was also invited but reportedly "has decided to forgo the opportunity due to health reasons". (Japan Times)

Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Sometimes I despair of ever seeing CP Masako outside of Japan once more. However, I also believe that it's important that she not do more than she can handle healthfully. Weddings involve more than one event, unfortunately. Perhaps she's able to hand a public event only once in a while. I wonder whether she could handle a day-trip outside Japan? That is, go to a nearby country, attend one event, and then go back home. Baby steps.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Well ... at least there will be usual photos of Crown Princess Masako seeing her husband off.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this is true.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Crown Prince and the Crown Princess of Japan attended both Crown Prince Philippe of the Belgians ’s wedding in 1999.
A few day later the Princess who was pregnant had a miscarriage. Perhaps it remembers her sad moments especially if the baby was a boy !
Old 09-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, perhaps, but you'd think she would be over it by now! That was over a decade ago.

I really do not see why she can't accompany her husband occasionally.
There's nothing stressful about going to a wedding as a guest.

(I think it looks awful for him to have to attend everything on his own; he might as well not be married at all).
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

As someone with depression, there is a time when you need to continue your obligations and your job. She's been "unable to do her job properly" for like a decade.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

There has been no confirmation of exactly what her mental problem is. It's been called an "adjustment disorder", which IMO was a screen set up by her doctors in order to tell the public something without actually telling them anything at all. There has also been a suggeston that she suffers from depression. There are some people who suffer from depression who simply don't recover. They take their medication, they go to therapy, but they don't recover. The percentage is of these people is small, but they do exist. For those who do recover, there are many factors that affect how soon they are able to re-enter their normal lives: the level of support from family and friends, how quickly they find an appropriate medication or combination of medications, and the time they take to face their world again. In the case of a Crown Princess, she really is facing the entire world. I believe it's possible that CP Masako's illness is more serious than anyone outside of her family and the Imperial family and system actually know. She seems to be able to handle a very occasional appearance with the public, at least at the present time. If that's all she can do, and this is helping her recover, she has my complete support.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako watched a performance of "gagaku", ancient Japanese court music, at the National Theater in Tokyo on October 1, 2012.

** Pic **

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, current events