Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko will pass the rest of their holiday at the imperial villa in Nasu.
Here are some pictures of the family as they arrive at Nasushiobara station.
Video (Asahi)

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko were seen upon arrival at Izukyu Shimoda station in Shimoda on August 12, 2012...
Another pic, same occasion.

Masako and her fans ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Crown Prince Naruhito will visit Luxembourg from Oct. 18 to 21 to attend the wedding of Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume. His wife was also invited but reportedly "has decided to forgo the opportunity due to health reasons". (Japan Times)

Sometimes I despair of ever seeing CP Masako outside of Japan once more. However, I also believe that it's important that she not do more than she can handle healthfully. Weddings involve more than one event, unfortunately. Perhaps she's able to hand a public event only once in a while. I wonder whether she could handle a day-trip outside Japan? That is, go to a nearby country, attend one event, and then go back home. Baby steps.

Well ... at least there will be usual photos of Crown Princess Masako seeing her husband off.

The Crown Prince and the Crown Princess of Japan attended both Crown Prince Philippe of the Belgians ’s wedding in 1999.
A few day later the Princess who was pregnant had a miscarriage. Perhaps it remembers her sad moments especially if the baby was a boy !

Well, perhaps, but you'd think she would be over it by now! That was over a decade ago.

I really do not see why she can't accompany her husband occasionally.
There's nothing stressful about going to a wedding as a guest.

(I think it looks awful for him to have to attend everything on his own; he might as well not be married at all).

As someone with depression, there is a time when you need to continue your obligations and your job. She's been "unable to do her job properly" for like a decade.

There has been no confirmation of exactly what her mental problem is. It's been called an "adjustment disorder", which IMO was a screen set up by her doctors in order to tell the public something without actually telling them anything at all. There has also been a suggeston that she suffers from depression. There are some people who suffer from depression who simply don't recover. They take their medication, they go to therapy, but they don't recover. The percentage is of these people is small, but they do exist. For those who do recover, there are many factors that affect how soon they are able to re-enter their normal lives: the level of support from family and friends, how quickly they find an appropriate medication or combination of medications, and the time they take to face their world again. In the case of a Crown Princess, she really is facing the entire world. I believe it's possible that CP Masako's illness is more serious than anyone outside of her family and the Imperial family and system actually know. She seems to be able to handle a very occasional appearance with the public, at least at the present time. If that's all she can do, and this is helping her recover, she has my complete support.

Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako watched a performance of "gagaku", ancient Japanese court music, at the National Theater in Tokyo on October 1, 2012.

** Pic **

Thanks for the update!
Crown Princely couple enjoyed attending the event.

Crown Princess Masako has said good bye to Crown Prince Naruhito prior to his departure to Luxembourg at Togu Palace in Tokyo on October 18, 2012. Crown Prince Naruhito will visit Luxembourg from October 18-21 to attend the wedding of Grand Duke Guillaume.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

It is nice to see the planned appearances of the Crown Princely couple. Crown Princess Masako appears cheerful.

Crown Princess Masako has said good bye to Crown Prince Naruhito prior to his departure to Luxembourg...
More pics of the same event:
1 ** 2 ** 3 ** 4 ** 5 ** 6 ** 7 ** 8 ** 9
Video

It is nice to see the planned appearances of the Crown Princely couple. Crown Princess Masako appears cheerful.
I would like to agree with you but, unfortunately, I cannot. Picture 9, for example, shows (in my perception) a sad woman who just refuses to let herself get carried away by her emotions.

Yes, same with picture 8. She looks like she's smiling in spite of feeling teary. Like she's thinking, "Please don't go."
More pics of the same event:
1 ** 2 ** 3 ** 4 ** 5 ** 6 ** 7 ** 8 ** 9.

The crown prince is back home and has been received by his wife and daughter.

1 ** 2 ** 3 ** 4 ** 5 ** 6

Video

Video: The Luxembourg wedding from a Japanese point of view

Last edited:

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko during a visit to the Shiosai Park in Hayama, in Kanagawa prefecture in suburban Tokyo, on November 7, 2012. The family is here for a short vacation.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

My goodness time certainly flies, as it's been quite awhile since I've seen a picture of Princess Aiko. She's certainly growing up fast and into a lovely young lady too.

Thanks Iceflower!!

Japanese article about the visit of Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko to the Shiosai Park in Hayama

The crown prince and princess, attending the ceremony on occasion of the 10th anniversary of Prince Takamado´s death on November, 21

It's Crown Princess Masako 49th birthday today, December 9! A couple of pics of her and Crown Prince Naruhito, taken at their residence in Tokyo on December 3, have been released today.

** Pic ** belga/afp gallery **

Some more pics: 1 ** 2 ** 3

Video stills

皇太å*å¦ƒé›…å*ã•ã¾ã€49æ*³ã®èª•ç”Ÿæ—¥ã€€æ–‡æ›¸ã§æ„Ÿæƒ³ã‚’寄せられる(12/12/09) - YouTube

é›…å*ã•ã¾49æ*³ã®èª•ç”Ÿæ—¥ã€€è¢«ç½åœ°ã¸ã®æƒ³ã„つづる(12/12/09) - YouTube

é›…å*ã•ã¾ã€ï¼”ï¼™æ*³ã®èª•ç”Ÿæ—¥ - YouTube

Crown Princess Masako entered the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on Dec. 9, 2012, to greet Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko.

1 ** 2 ** 3

é›…å*ã•ã¾ï¼”ï¼™æ*³ã«ã€æ„›å*ã•ã¾ã¨çš‡å±…へ - YouTube

Japanese crown princess talks of her illness
Crown Princess Masako of Japan turned 49 on Sunday and spoke of her 10 years with a stress-induced illness. [...]

"As the treatment has lasted for a long time, I suppose that I have caused so much worry," she said in a statement released by the Imperial Household Agency. "I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt gratitude to all the people in the country for their continuous warm support." [...]

Kyoji Komachi, grand master of the Crown Prince's Household, told a press conference that the crown princess is seen by her doctors when needed and still taking a small amount of medication.

"I have heard from the medical team that she has been steadily recovering if viewed from a long-term perspective," Komachi said.

Crown Princess turns 49, still recovering from illness
A team of doctors in charge of the crown prince’s household also issued a written statement.

“The princess showed physical and mental fatigue from last autumn to this summer,” the statement read. “But she has slowly recovered from September after resting in summer. She has gradually begun engaging in activities.” [...]

At a news conference on Dec. 7, Kyoji Komachi, grand master of the crown prince’s household, indicated that Masako’s “fatigue” had to do with Princess Aiko, her 11-year-old daughter. Aiko had anxieties and difficulties attending Gakushuin Primary School, and Komachi said Masako has taken great care of her, consulting with school officials, among other things. Aiko has been going to the school without being accompanied by her parents since late last year.

Masako has not traveled out of Tokyo on official duties this year. She is trying to recover her physical and mental health so that she can attend events and make public appearances. [...]

In her statement, Masako touched on evacuees from last year’s Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami. “Not a day passes without remembering them, and my heart aches,” Masako said. “I wish for reconstruction to proceed quickly so they can live with peace of mind.”

It is nice to learn that Crown Princess Masako have been recovering and may resume some of her duties.

I guess the current status quo will continue indefinitely.

Today is Crown Prince Naruhito´s 53rd birthday.

Crown prince marks 53rd birthday

...Naruhito, the heir to the Chrysanthemum Throne, said in remarks at a press conference, that he has been spending time with his 79-year-old father, Emperor Akihito, about once a month to exchange views on various issues such as the role of the emperor in modern Japanese society....
Crown prince learning from emperor about duties as symbol of nation
...Naruhito said he and his brother, Prince Fumihito, have been visiting the Imperial Palace about once a month since last spring to listen to their father, Emperor Akihito, talk about his experiences and thoughts as a symbol of the nation. [...]

Akihito, who turns 80 this year, has said he wants to continue to perform official duties at his current pace.
But Naruhito said: “Those around him need to help to lessen his burden at individual events. I want to be of help.” [...]

Naruhito, who celebrates the 20th anniversary of his wedding this year, thanked his wife, Crown Princess Masako, for helping him “on many things.” [...]

On Feb. 2, the couple watched a “kagura” music and dance performance to support recovery from the March 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake.
Naruhito said he was happy because Masako was able to attend the event at Tokyo’s National Theater as part of her official duties and encouraged the disaster survivors.

“She has been recovering, but she needs more convalescence,” he said. “I want her to broaden the scope of her activities slowly.” Masako's prolonged treatment has raised doubts about her diagnosis and the policy of her attending doctors. But Naruhito said her team of physicians is doing a good job and there is no need to bring in other doctors.

He also touched on people displaced by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami and the subsequent nuclear disaster. “Masako and I want to give our thoughts on the recovery in the disaster areas for a long time, hoping that people in temporary housing and evacuees from radioactive contamination can live with peace of mind,” he said.
The crown prince and princess attending the mentioned “kagura” music and dance performance to support recovery from the March 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake: 1 ** 2

If Google translator informs me correctly, Masako, along with her husband, attended an international conference on the issue of environment in Tokyo on January 31, called „Earth System Governance Tokyo Conference: Complex Architectures, Multiple Agents“, held 28-31 January 2013 at the United Nations University Headquarters. This event is part of the global conference series organized by the Earth System Governance Project, a ten-year research programme under the auspices of the International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change (IHDP). Masako staid for approximately 1,5 hours and attended a discussion about climate change.

Later in February, Masako as well as Aiko had the flu. Maybe that is the reason why on occasion of Naruhito´s birthday there have been no pics of the family released (so far at least).

Last edited:
Crown prince 'emotional' about 20 years of marriage
Crown Prince Naruhito, who turned 53 on Saturday, said he is "very emotional" about his nearly 20 years of marriage with Crown Princess Masako ahead of their anniversary in June. "I would like to work in the public and private spheres while cooperating with her as husband and wife and along with [my daughter Princess] Aiko," the crown prince said at a news conference held ahead of his birthday.
Crown Prince turns 53; tapping Emperor’s views
[...] Looking ahead to June, when the Crown Prince and Crown Princess Masako will celebrate two decades of marriage, he expressed gratitude to his 49-year-old wife and said: “I am deeply moved when I think of how 20 years have passed. We have supported each other” down the years. [...]

Turning to their only child, Princess Aiko, he indicated his pride at watching her grow more “dependable” and begin to make more of her own decisions. The 11-year-old princess, a fifth-grader at Gakushuin Primary School in Tokyo, wants to attend a ski training camp during the winter holidays without her parents acting as chaperons, according to the Crown Prince.

Turning to other matters, he stated his hopes for the fast recovery of areas in Tohoku that were destroyed by the March 11, 2011, natural disasters and subsequent nuclear crisis, as the nation prepares to commemorate the second anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake.
“I am deeply concerned at how (the victims) continue to live in a tough situation,” the Crown Prince said, noting that many disaster evacuees remain stuck in temporary housing, unable to return to their former lives.

Touching on the recent hot-button issues of bullying and corporal punishment, the Crown Prince urged the country to work together and create an environment where the “children, who carry the future, will grow up healthy and young people can be confident and active.”
Crown Prince Naruhito celebrates birthday, expresses gratitude to wife

It gladdens my heart to read that the Prince says that he and his wife have "supported each other." When someone is struggling with mental illness, there can be a perception that that person is no support to the healthy spouse at all and is a constant drain on emotional resources. In very few words, Naruhito has shown that this is not the case with his marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom