The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Aiko looks so much like her father to me!

Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Majesty

It is great that Crown Princely family attended the dinner.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:42 AM
Majesty

Yes, it's great to see them going to this occasion and also so nice to see CP Masako wearing a more vibrant colour than usual.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Crown Princely couple has visited the annual Imperial family luncheon on December 27th, 2011.
The luncheon is a tradition established by late Empress Kojun to gather the extended Imperial family and their relatives which had lost their titles and position in 1947. The Emperor Akihito's surviving sisters and Mrs Kuroda (former Princess Nori-n-miya Sayako) usually attend the luncheon with their spouses.
The Crown Prince was supposed to visit the luncheon solo due to the Crown Princess' poor health (last year the Crown Princess was not present). This time the Crown Princess joined her spouse last minute.
She smiled and waved to the royal fans entering the Hanzomon gates of the Imperial palace.
**Pic** - Mainichi
Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Great photos of the crown princely couple, we're there any more pictures from the Royal Luncheon?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patra View Post
Great photos of the crown princely couple, we're there any more pictures from the Royal Luncheon?
See Akishino's thread.
I have two more pics of the Emperor's sisters and Mrs Kudoda (taken by my friend), but I have no permission to post them here.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Majesty

Ah, beige again. However, it's so good that she was able to attend the lunch this year.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
... it's so good that she was able to attend the lunch this year...
I was hoping to see Aiko. Unfortunately, she was absent. I wonder why...
Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

The crown prince family on their way to the palace
Old 01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Majesty

What a great picture! We haven't seen CP Masako in a tiara for quite awhile.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
What a great picture! We haven't seen CP Masako in a tiara for quite awhile.
The Crown Princess wore it for New Year celebrations each year since 2007.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Majesty

So she's been to the New Year's celebration every year since 2007 then. I didn't know that. She's looking lovely.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So she's been to the New Year's celebration every year since 2007 then. I didn't know that. She's looking lovely.
Yes, the Crown Princess was present at the exchanging gifts ceremony every year, but did not attend the ceremonies for Japanese dignitaries and the diplomats due to her illness.

In this collage you can see HIH the Crown Princess' visits to Imperial palace on January 1st and 2nd since 2007.
Figures from '07 to '11 are the years.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

More pics of the the crown princely couple on their way to the the annual imperial family luncheon

The crown princely couple smiling at each other at the birthday greeting on December 23, 2011
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Beijing invites Crown Prince, Princess to visit | The Japan Times Online
Beijing has officially invited Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako to visit China this year to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the two countries normalizing diplomatic ties, sources close to bilateral relations said Saturday.
The visit is also aimed at easing anti-Japanese sentiment in China, which remains strong on account of Japan's past military aggression, and to strengthen relations between the two countries.
If realized, it would be the 51-year-old Crown Prince's first visit to China, and Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda's administration intends to consider Beijing's request carefully, the sources said.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Crown Princess Masako diagnosed with gastroenteritis - The Mainichi Daily News
Crown Princess Masako has been diagnosed with viral gastroenteritis, the Imperial Household Agency said Friday. The 48-year-old crown princess is recovering after being treated with medication, Kyoji Komachi, grand master of Crown Prince's Household, told a press conference.
While she developed a fever on Tuesday, possibly caused by a norovirus, her husband and their daughter -- Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko -- have not been affected, Komachi added.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko during a photo session at their
Akasaka Palace in Tokyo on February 12, 2012. The pics were released on the Crown Prince's 52th
birthday today, February 23, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Crown Prince Naruhito notes need to reduce emperor's burden

Quote:
Crown Prince Naruhito called for a reduction in Emperor Akihito's official duties following heart bypass surgery last week, as the first in line to the throne marked his 52nd birthday Thursday. "Considering the emperor's age, it is necessary to cut down on his burden," the eldest son of the 78-year-old emperor said at a press conference given prior to his birthday.
"I would be more than happy to do anything if I can be of help to him," the crown prince said. [...]

On the introduction of an age limit for Japan's emperor, who currently remains on the throne for the rest of his life, the crown prince declined to comment specifically, only saying, "I think there are various options available" regarding how to reduce the emperor's burden.
The crown prince also refrained from clarifying his stance on whether female members of the imperial family should be allowed to create their own family branches so they can retain their imperial status after marriage. [...]

On the upcoming first anniversary of the March 11, 2011, earthquake and tsunami disaster, the crown prince said the catastrophe has constantly been on his mind during the past year.
"I feel truly encouraged by the fact that people affected by the disaster are making efforts hand in hand toward reconstruction despite harsh conditions," he said. [...]

Regarding their only child Princess Aiko, the crown prince said his daughter now feels secure at school by taking part in a brass band and field trips. She is now attending school without being accompanied by her mother.
On Thursday morning, the crown prince visited University of Tokyo Hospital to greet the emperor who is now recuperating from the surgery and undergoing rehabilitation.
Mainichi Daily News

The crown prince has demonstrated that he is perfectly aware of his constitutional duties by refraining from commenting on the political matters of a retirement age for emperors and of female-headed family branches. I have expected nothing less from him!
Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko during a photo session at their
Akasaka Palace in Tokyo on February 12, 2012. The pics were released on the Crown Prince's 52th
birthday today, February 23, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Princess Masako looks very well on these pics. Although it is clear that this does not mean that she is fully recovered (if she were, her husband would have said so), I still think that there is a clear difference visible between how she looks today and how she looked in 2005. (On this pic you see her with Crown Prince Naruhito as they attend a ceremony marking the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the Japanese branch of UNICEF in Tokyo May 1, 2005.)

Here is another article about the birthday news conference:
Heir says Japanese emperor must reduce duties
Quote:
Japanese Emperor Akihito should cut down his duties following his heart bypass last weekend, his son and heir Crown Prince Naruhito said in comments released to mark his 52nd birthday on Thursday. "Considering his age, I think it is necessary to reduce his burden," he told reporters, in his first comments on his father's future role. "It's important that people surrounding him think hard to help him. I'd like to do whatever I can that is helpful in this regard," he said at the news conference held on Tuesday but embargoed until Thursday.

The 78-year-old emperor left intensive care on Monday, just two days after undergoing a successful heart bypass operation. During his recuperation, Naruhito will handle official duties such as attending public ceremonies and meeting state guests. Referring to his experience in November in acting for his father when the emperor was hospitalised for bronchial pneumonia, Naruhito said: "I keenly felt the need to study more (about the emperor's duty) to help His Imperial Majesty."
Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I wish I knew how the Emperor feels about it.
Does he wish his duties reduced?

(I'd also like to know how he feels about the succession issues, but I suppose he won't come right out and say).

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, current events