The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Imperial Family of Japan > Crown Prince Naruhito, Crown Princess Masako and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness

Wow, the comments on Japanese royals plan to attend British royal wedding | CNNGo.com were pretty harsh
I just know: it´s good to be not a member of a reigning Royal Family.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Amazing and quite sad.

And am I missing something but is an attempt at mudslingling regarding Aiko. To suggest perhaps, that she is not capable of ruling Japan?

Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

With Hisahito, I don't think it's likely that Aiko will become Empress so they should leave her alone.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
With Hisahito, I don't think it's likely that Aiko will become Empress so they should leave her alone.
I agree but its like the stage is being set to give reasons why Aiko can't be Empress (i.e. she can't handle being in school all day something must be up with her). Its like the beginning of a character assassination of a child which I find quite sad. I know its a strong word and I apologize if I offend anyone.

But that is surely the topic of another thread. Getting back on topic: I don't think that Masako will join Naruhito in London if he is attending the wedding.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko View Post
I just saw an interesting article about CP Princess in CNN Asia Beta Site.
"Japanese royals plan to attend British royal wedding" By Robert Michael Poole

The comment made by Japanese people are especially interesting to read.

Japanese royals plan to attend British royal wedding | CNNGo.com

I seem unable to access the site.
What were some of the comments?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Majesty

Thanks for the article!
The tone of the above article does not surprise me much. The comments appear to voice an unfavourable attitude of some Japanese regarding the Crown Princely couple and Princess Aiko.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Let's face it.

I just think there will be alot of criticism for Masako leaving Japan to do something that might be perceived as "fun" when she isn't doing too much in Japan. I recognize she has an illness but why bring drama when there is no need for it.
I was eventually able to access that site, and it looks like you were right on target!
There seems to be widespread resentment against Masako (and by extension Aiko) and her attendance at the British Royal Wedding will only exacerbate that.

(Of course, now if she doesn't attend, she'll get slammed for canceling another event).

I never realized Masako was so unpopular in her own country. Still, in another way I can understand why the Japanese people are getting fed up with the Crown Prince's family.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I was eventually able to access that site, and it looks like you were right on target!
There seems to be widespread resentment against Masako (and by extension Aiko) and her attendance at the British Royal Wedding will only exacerbate that.

(Of course, now if she doesn't attend, she'll get slammed for canceling another event).

I never realized Masako was so unpopular in her own country. Still, in another way I can understand why the Japanese people are getting fed up with the Crown Prince's family.
Part of me does understand and part of me doesn't.

What I don't understand is the nastiest that is being directed at a little girl. Who from my understanding has done nothing wrong other than being born a girl.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

What I don't understand is the nastiest that is being directed at a little girl. Who from my understanding has done nothing wrong other than being born a girl.

Yes, I agree.
But I have to say that perhaps she is better off.
If she was heir to the throne, her life would be quite constrained; as it is, she'll have more personal freedom.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, I agree.
But I have to say that perhaps she is better off.
If she was heir to the throne, her life would be quite constrained; as it is, she'll have more personal freedom.

ITA! The first time I agree about that the girl should not succeed her father.
They are bashing her already, and she is a child.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:

The nastiness that you're reading has nothing to do with the fact that Aiko was born a girl. (There is a male heir for the next generation, so the succession problem is solved for a generation) The issue with Aiko is her lack of attendence at school, last school year she didn't attend school for over a month. With the new school year she has been attending until the morning break (10.30am) and then going home. (According to the IHA press office she's been having private tutoring at home to make up for the work she's been missing at school) It seems that she is attending school for longer periods but still refuses to attend such things as the morning assemblies and beginning of school assemblies. In a country like Japan where education is highly important and valued, (where a teacher earns more money than an engineer, since teaching is considered the more important profession. Heartening to all you teachers out there!) where students are rewarded for perfect attendence, not attending school is a major issue. In that respect Aiko is viewed as a spoilt brat, she wasn't bullied, but rather upset over the rough behaviour of boys in the hallway. She had been pushed by boys running past her.

As far as any importance to the succession, Aiko has no importance. Had there been no male in the next generation, Japanese people would had accepted a female Emperor. The view was a female Emperor was better than no Emperor. Once Hisahito was born, problem solved, any push to change the succession laws died. There's no need to try and discredit Aiko since there's no push by anyone to have her succeed her father. The succession issue is dead, any reform is pushed aside probably until Hisahito is an adult.

The whole male only succession also has to do with the Emperor being a Shinto priest who carries out certain rites. Shinto priests (like catholic priests) can only be male. Catholics can only have a male Pope, Japanese can only have a male Emperor. Nothing to do with females not being worthy of being Emperors. (They did have them in the past, before the Shinto religion was reconfigured around the Emperor)

Masako, in Japan, is view negatively as she's seen as someone who is shirking her duty. The Japanese Imperial Family are funded by the taxpayer, and it's an expensive one, far more expensive than the European royal families are. So Masako is receiving taxpayers' money and doing very few official engagements. Yet she's been seen at social engagements in the past. That's the basis of the negative commentary coming from those in Japan who care to comment. (Keeping in mind these are English language reports, so the posters have to post in English, not everyone has those skills. Also the majority of Japanese view the Imperial Family as a 'tradition, something that's always been there' not necessarily something they are hugely interested in.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Courtier

How interesting, this report.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Gentry

The press conference on the occasion of His Majesty's birthday 2010 is interesting to read.

Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2010) - The Imperial Household Agency

Question 3 - His Majesty talks about his family.

"Question 3
This is a question about the Imperial Family. As Your Majesty sees the four grandchildren at the Imperial Residence and at the Imperial Villas, You must be impressed by how they are growing up. Please tell us about the thoughts that have occurred to Your Majesty through Your contacts with Your grandchildren, perhaps by referring to some specific episodes. Princess Aiko, the eldest daughter of Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess, has not been able to go to school in the normal way since March, and Crown Princess Masako has had to accompany Princess Aiko to school every day, which has prevented Crown Princess Masako from adequately performing her official duties. How does Your Majesty regard the current situation of the Crown Prince's family?

Answer 3
This year Aiko, who became a third grader at Gakushuin Primary School, found it difficult to go to school, which was something we did not foresee, and we are worried about it. I am also much concerned for the Crown Prince and Princess, who must be so worried as well. Because of this, opportunities to see Aiko have been limited, so, regrettably, it is difficult to tell you anything in terms of exchanges with her. The Empress has much affection for Aiko as she does for all Her grandchildren, and Aiko also expresses her love for the Empress whenever she comes here by presenting Her with flowers which Aiko has picked from her garden. When she came the other day, she eagerly showed the Empress a video of her cat on her camera. In the visual footages of her school field day, Aiko looked lively and seemed to be enjoying herself as she did last year, and I was relieved to see it.

I am pleased that Mako, who entered International Christian University, seems to be enjoying college life. In the summer she participated in an overseas English training programme and spent almost 40 days in Ireland living with people from different countries. After returning to Japan, she showed us photographs with detailed explanations. It is my hope that she will spend her days at university in such a way that one day she can look back on those days and think that it was a meaningful time.

Kako has advanced to Gakushuin Girls' High School. From this year she has started to attend, together with Prince and Princess Akishino, the All-Japan High School Cultural Festival, which Mako used to attend every year while she was in high school. I think it is a good thing for her to have the opportunity to talk with students from other high schools at events for high school students. When the Crown Prince's family and Prince Akishino's family gather at our Residence and the grown-ups are engaged in conversation, Kako often looks after Aiko and Hisahito and plays with them. It gives me pleasure to watch the care and consideration Kako shows to others.

Hisahito entered Ochanomizu University Kindergarten, and seems to be enjoying kindergarten life. He loves insects, and in the autumn, he came to the Biological Laboratory of the Imperial Household and also the gardens of our Residence, and caught grasshoppers and mantes. He is also interested in fruits and enjoyed observing how the grapes were growing in the Biological Laboratory of the Imperial Household and picking persimmons, and so on. On Prince Akishino's birthday, when the Empress showed Hisahito a fragrant karin (Chinese quince) fruit that She had picked in the garden that day, Hisahito went around carrying that heavy fruit very dearly wherever he went; it was a most endearing sight.

Regarding the current state of the Crown Prince's family, as the Crown Princess is not well I would like to refrain from making any comments. Much is said about her official duties, but it is my hope that she will strive first and foremost to regain her health."
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Majesty

I realize that the questions that the Emperor answers are pre-screened, but still--the question was more like an exam question than an oral interview question. The Emperor stressed the need for CP Masako to get well rather than her need to get back to her official duties, which shows more compassion than that of some Japanese commentators. He seems to mind not seeing more of Princess Aiko.

Quote:
The press conference on the occasion of His Majesty's birthday 2010 is interesting to read.

Press Conference on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday (2010) - The Imperial Household Agency

Question 3 - His Majesty talks about his family.

"Question 3
This is a question about the Imperial Family. As Your Majesty sees the four grandchildren at the Imperial Residence and at the Imperial Villas, You must be impressed by how they are growing up. Please tell us about the thoughts that have occurred to Your Majesty through Your contacts with Your grandchildren, perhaps by referring to some specific episodes. Princess Aiko, the eldest daughter of Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Princess, has not been able to go to school in the normal way since March, and Crown Princess Masako has had to accompany Princess Aiko to school every day, which has prevented Crown Princess Masako from adequately performing her official duties. How does Your Majesty regard the current situation of the Crown Prince's family?

Regarding the current state of the Crown Prince's family, as the Crown Princess is not well I would like to refrain from making any comments. Much is said about her official duties, but it is my hope that she will strive first and foremost to regain her health."
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

According to the commentary on that CNN site, some Japanese are dismayed at the thought of Naruhito and Masako as Emperor and Empress.

Could they possibly be passed over, or is their elevation set in stone?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
...Could they possibly be passed over, or is their elevation set in stone?
TIH the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are the next Emperor and Empress of Japan.
No one will pass them over, neither DIET, not the reigning Emperor. Let's not make further speculations of this kind, please.
The Constitution of Japan is absolutely clear about who is the heir of the throne.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Majesty

You are absolutely correct. There is the order to be followed. The commentaries on CNN website represent views of some Japanese, but not all of them. Strong criticism directed at Crown Princess Masako might be understandable. Prince Naruhito, on the other hand, fulfills his duties.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Gentry

So for me what's more shocking is the picture itself.

Japanese royals plan to attend British royal wedding | CNNGo.com

Kasumi, you wrote "TIH Crown Prince and the Crown Princess are the next Emperor and Empress of Japan."

Take a look at the picture who is sitting in a storage seats (cargo section) in back of the van. The future Emperor...? I have never seen the royal family putting the future king or queen in way back of the van. TIH Crown Prince is trying to wave back at the people outside. And he is not able to do well in that position. Every time they take vacations this is how they seat in the van in Japan. And it infuriate the people who has strong respect for the royal family. This alone tell us that the Crown Princess of Japan is not able to perform her duty in sensible way. And it is very very sad.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 AM
Gentry

I don't know the detail. But if Princess Aiko can not sit by herself without her mother Princess Masako, then both of them can sit in the back of van not the future Emperor.

To Mermaid1962, yes the emperor of Japan has asked TIH Crown Prince's family to come and visit him so many times. The Crown Prince's promises to visit him yet he was not able to deliver his promises. And as you can see, the emperor of Japan now only wish Princess Masako to get well.

The people of Japan is not so sure what kind of illness the Crown Princess Masako is suffering. She is able to go to spring ski vacation every year without any trouble skiing 3-4 hours at the time in the cold weather for a week. She is able to take her daughter to school every day for almost whole year and sitting in her class room, perhaps stating 10:30 in the morning until noon or even more. Without Princess Masako, her daughter is not able to go to the school and attend the classes at all now. So with all her doing we were not so sure what is the real cause of her illness. No press conference that I know of took the place by Princess Masako's doctor. We only hear his opinion written with the Crown Princess Masako's permission. I think the year before at her birthday
they were not able to make the statement on time. Because Princess Masako could not agree or confirm to share the letter with public and needed more time to rewrite with her doctor.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The people of Japan is not so sure what kind of illness the Crown Princess Masako is suffering. She is able to go to spring ski vacation every year without any trouble skiing 3-4 hours at the time in the cold weather for a week. She is able to take her daughter to school every day for almost whole year and sitting in her class room, perhaps stating 10:30 in the morning until noon or even more. Without Princess Masako, her daughter is not able to go to the school and attend the classes at all now.

Masako has been sitting in the classroom for an entire year?
That does seem very strange! Doesn't the school object?
What explanation has been given for this?

(I would think that her parents would prefer a private tutor for Aiko, rather than have her mother constantly at school. Or would that cause criticism?)

Closed Thread

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, current events