Crown Prince Naruhito & Crown Princess Masako current events 5: Dec. 2008- Dec. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the Crown Princess definitely been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder? I agree, it's a very serious disorder and is also very hard to treat in extreme cases. I've known a couple of people who have/had it.

Bipolar disorder is very serious condition, and large crowds and overdosed attention of mass media may worsen HIH the Crown Princess's health causing depression.:sad:

Bipolar disorder is very serious condition, and large crowds and overdosed attention of mass media may worsen HIH the Crown Princess's health causing depression.:sad:

With so many other royal and celebrity guests, I doubt the Crown Princess will have a great deal of media attention.
It will mostly be focused on the bride and groom anyway.
This might be an excellent opportunity to make a public appearance without being the focus of all eyes.

But how will such attendance (of Masako) in Britian go down in Japan?

I realize that the Crown Princess is not well. But really, if she is well enough to attend a wedding, won't some think that she should be well enough to perform a duty every now and then? Just trying to play devil's advocate.

For that reason alone, I don't think she will accompany the Crown Prince if he goes to London. Honestly, I think they might send Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko. The British wedding is after all for the heirs heir. So it would make sense peerwise.

I don't think that it would go down well at all. I'd guess that if CP Masako went to the wedding, that might be the only event she'd go to. For the wedding, she'd just have to dress up and sit; whereas she'd have to mingle at other events. I doubt that she'd be up to the latter.

I realize that the Crown Princess is not well. But really, if she is well enough to attend a wedding, won't some think that she should be well enough to perform a duty every now and then? Just trying to play devil's advocate.

That has already been said.
I read that there was criticism when she had a dinner for Prince Charles when he visited Japan, but was not well enough to greet the Spanish Royal Family the following week. Complaints were that she was fine for the British, but the Spanish made her sick?

If she attends the wedding, I think it will be more of the same, and may anger more people than it pleases.

I too, hope Akishino and Kiko will attend instead; I like Kiko and would enjoy seeing her at this event.

That has already been said.
I read that there was criticism when she had a dinner for Prince Charles when he visited Japan, but was not well enough to greet the Spanish Royal Family the following week. Complaints were that she was fine for the British, but the Spanish made her sick?

If she attends the wedding, I think it will be more of the same, and may anger more people than it pleases.

I too, hope Akishino and Kiko will attend instead; I like Kiko and would enjoy seeing her at this event.

Masako greeted the Spanish royals when they came to Japan for a State Visit. There was no criticism of Masako at the time, infact a lot was made of the fact that she was able to participate in the official greeting ceremony.

May I ask what is your source for the Bi Polar diagnosis? This is the first I've heard of it. Do you have a link?:flowers:
We have 2 people in our family with Bi Polar. It's controlable with medication. The problem is the patient does not want to stay on it.

Let's face it.

There is a big difference between greeting and meeting with other royal families who come to Japan than traveling to London and participating in the wedding activities.

Don't get me wrong. I like both Masako and Kiko (as well as their husbands). I just think there will be alot of criticism for Masako leaving Japan to do something that might be perceived as "fun" when she isn't doing too much in Japan. I recognize she has an illness but why bring drama when there is no need for it.

Honestly, when I see Naruhito attend these royal weddings (as well as other events) without his wife, I feel bad for the both of him. He reminds me of Prince Andrew who is surrounded by all these happy couples (well couples anyway) when he attends social events but the only difference is Naruhito has a wife.

Yes, I agree. And the criticism in this case isn't a particularly Japanese one. I think that a European princess would get the same flack if she did the same thing; i.e. didn't do many public duties at home but went to a high-profile foreign wedding.:ermm:

May I ask what is your source for the Bi Polar diagnosis? This is the first I've heard of it. Do you have a link?
Hello, scooter,
HIH the Crown Princess's diagnosis was named during the press conference of one of her doctors, Mizushima Hiroko MD, in February 2006. It was after the Princess Akishino's pregnancy anouncement. The doctor explained that the Crown Princess had been deeply hurt with her sister-in-law pregnancy because of the illness.
Dr Mizushima is one of the prominent female psychiatrists in Japan, graduate of Columbia university.
Unfortunately I have no English copy of the interview in my place, just a Japanese paper copy.
Besides, the Crown Princess's uncle (her mother's cousin) a famous Japanese writer Jun Etou had had the similar health problems too.
Sorry for helping so little.:sad:

Masako greeted the Spanish royals when they came to Japan for a State Visit. There was no criticism of Masako at the time, infact a lot was made of the fact that she was able to participate in the official greeting ceremony.

The item I read is here:
PRINCESS MASAKO - Japan | Facts and Details

pmark.gif
Princess Masako gave a private dinner of the Prince Charles and his wife Camilla when they came to Japan in 2009 but did not make an appearance when the King of Spain came a few week later. One palace insider told the Times of London, “What logical explanation can we give for that? That the British are healthy but the Spanish make her ill?”

That is the visit I was referring to.

The item I read is here:
PRINCESS MASAKO - Japan | Facts and Details

That is the visit I was referring to.

This site well demonstrates that the internet is not always factually accurate even if the site declares 'facts and details'! Besides the Spanish visit where Masako was photographed with King Juan Carlos. The site writes that Masako has a law degree from Tokyo university, no she doesn't!!!! The only degree that Masako holds is an undergraduate's degree from Harvard. She studied for a short time at Tokyo university but completed no degree, she also began a Master's degree at Oxford and didn't complete it.

Hello, scooter,
HIH the Crown Princess's diagnosis was named during the press conference of one of her doctors, Mizushima Hiroko MD, in February 2006. It was after the Princess Akishino's pregnancy anouncement. The doctor explained that the Crown Princess had been deeply hurt with her sister-in-law pregnancy because of the illness.
Dr Mizushima is one of the prominent female psychiatrists in Japan, graduate of Columbia university.
Unfortunately I have no English copy of the interview in my place, just a Japanese paper copy.
Besides, the Crown Princess's uncle (her mother's cousin) a famous Japanese writer Jun Etou had had the similar health problems too.
Bi Polar certainly does run in families. We were told that children of a bi polar parent have 600 time higher likelyhood to have the disease.

I'm sure with all of the infertility issues that Masako had it was very painful when her sister in law became pregnant with a male heir. But I must say again, that the disease can be in large part controlled by medication. The problem is that Bi Polar people resist taking the medication. As painful as the depressive cycles are, the mania is something that the patient is loathe to give up. But I would think that in a super controlled atmosphere like the Imperial household, that there are people whose sole job is to administer your royal morning meds.

Hopefully Crown Princess Masako will be able to attend the upcoming wedding.

Hello, scooter,

I don't feel the doctor should have said that; she almost seems to blame Kiko for Masako's depression!
The depression started soon after the marriage, long before Kiko's pregnancy.
I think this is very unfair; why should everything Kiko does be viewed in terms of how it might affect Masako?
She has the right to a life, as much as the Crown Princess does.

Mirabel said:
I don't feel the doctor should have said that; she almost seems to blame Kiko for Masako's depression!
The depression started soon after the marriage, long before Kiko's pregnancy.
I think this is very unfair; why should everything Kiko does be viewed in terms of how it might affect Masako?
She has the right to a life, as much as the Crown Princess does.

It also makes Masako look bad as being jealous of her sister in law.

Which somehow I don't think is the case, but somehow (and I am not typically one of those conspiracy people) I wouldn't put it past the IHA (i.e. allowing the impression to be out there that Masako is jealous of Kiko).

May I see it

Hi Kasumi,

May I see the Japanese paper copy. I would really appreciate that.
Thank you.

Hello, scooter,

...The comment made by Japanese people are especially interesting to read.
Sad but true :ermm:.

The Canadian Press: Step aside Brits - To palace's chagrin, Japan's imperial soap opera going strong
The Japanese emperor is a quiet, studious type. The paragon of respectability. But, oh, what a family!
In a country where old folks still remember when it was a serious crime to defame the imperial household, Japan's tabloid-style weekly magazines just can't get enough unflattering gossip on its royal family — and especially the women who marry into it.

Amazing and quite sad.

And am I missing something but is an attempt at mudslingling regarding Aiko. To suggest perhaps, that she is not capable of ruling Japan?

With Hisahito, I don't think it's likely that Aiko will become Empress so they should leave her alone.

With Hisahito, I don't think it's likely that Aiko will become Empress so they should leave her alone.

I agree but its like the stage is being set to give reasons why Aiko can't be Empress (i.e. she can't handle being in school all day something must be up with her). Its like the beginning of a character assassination of a child which I find quite sad. I know its a strong word and I apologize if I offend anyone.

But that is surely the topic of another thread. Getting back on topic: I don't think that Masako will join Naruhito in London if he is attending the wedding.

Thanks for the article!
The tone of the above article does not surprise me much. The comments appear to voice an unfavourable attitude of some Japanese regarding the Crown Princely couple and Princess Aiko.

Let's face it.

I just think there will be alot of criticism for Masako leaving Japan to do something that might be perceived as "fun" when she isn't doing too much in Japan. I recognize she has an illness but why bring drama when there is no need for it.

I was eventually able to access that site, and it looks like you were right on target!
There seems to be widespread resentment against Masako (and by extension Aiko) and her attendance at the British Royal Wedding will only exacerbate that.

(Of course, now if she doesn't attend, she'll get slammed for canceling another event).

I never realized Masako was so unpopular in her own country. Still, in another way I can understand why the Japanese people are getting fed up with the Crown Prince's family.

I was eventually able to access that site, and it looks like you were right on target!
There seems to be widespread resentment against Masako (and by extension Aiko) and her attendance at the British Royal Wedding will only exacerbate that.

(Of course, now if she doesn't attend, she'll get slammed for canceling another event).

I never realized Masako was so unpopular in her own country. Still, in another way I can understand why the Japanese people are getting fed up with the Crown Prince's family.

Part of me does understand and part of me doesn't.

What I don't understand is the nastiest that is being directed at a little girl. Who from my understanding has done nothing wrong other than being born a girl.

Part of me does understand and part of me doesn't.

What I don't understand is the nastiest that is being directed at a little girl. Who from my understanding has done nothing wrong other than being born a girl.

Yes, I agree.
But I have to say that perhaps she is better off.
If she was heir to the throne, her life would be quite constrained; as it is, she'll have more personal freedom.

Yes, I agree.
But I have to say that perhaps she is better off.
If she was heir to the throne, her life would be quite constrained; as it is, she'll have more personal freedom.

ITA! The first time I agree about that the girl should not succeed her father.
They are bashing her already, and she is a child. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom