Criticisms of the Crown Princess and her family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the part I dont understand. If, as has been widely reported, Masako had IVF to have her daughter, why they did not select a male embryo for implantation? Unless there were no healthy male embryos. At Masako's age, with her previous infertility issues, it is very unlikely that an IVF using her own eggs would be successful. Perhaps a donor egg IVF.

It has been widely speculated, not reported as there has never been any confirmation that Masako had IVF. The use of donor egg IVF is banned in Japan, so it the use donor embryos and restrictions on the use of donor sperm ( irrelevant here as in this case the male line through Naruhito is what was after) Masako was 37 when she became pregnant with Aiko even in more IVF friendly countries they wouldn't be looking at donor eggs until the woman is in her mid to late 40s. She had managed to get pregnant previously at age 35 in November 1999. I think it can be safely assumed that it was not IVF as she attended the Belgian royal wedding on Dec 3rd 1999, had she undergone IVF in November there would have been no way she would have travelled to Belgium. Her pregnancy was announced on December 11th ( I was in Tokyo that day and can still recall the huge headlines in the Japanese papers, it was big news!) and she miscarried in early January 2000.
IVF in Japan is not something even the general population admit to using there is still a large stigma to it, the Japanese have a very low uptake of IVF. I think I can safely say there will never been definite confirmation that Masako used IVF. Personally I doubt it simply as Aiko is a girl, had it been used I'm sure the baby would have been a boy.

Hi, I'm Sanchia, I'm 16 and I'm from Singapore. I first came to know about CP Masako last year, when I came across Ben Hills's book about her. I do not know to what extent is the content of the book true, but after reading it, I began to sympathise her and I think she is an intelligent woman (otherwise she won't be able to graduate from Harvard with a magna cumlaude - that's what I think). And she's been considered as one of my role models since then.

I followed her news and articles from the internet. I also tracked people's comments about her and her recent news - comments from people in Japan and worldwide. There are quite a few things that triggered me to contemplate.

I read in some news online that she's been having a 'highlife' - shopping around, vacation abroad (the Netherlands), and having expensive meals as well as hanging out with friends and family. I read on Ben Hills's book that actually her activities as being scheduled and controlled by the IHA.

My question is, if her activities are all scheduled and under control of IHA, how did she able to hang out as conveniently as such?

I also read somewhere that her medical team has advised her to slowly carry out activities starting from her private outings.

Does IHA allow her to do all her private outings because of the advice by her medical team? If so, why do many people unaware of this and accuse her of being a 'lazy princess that refuses to do her duties'?

In my opinion, things shouldn't be blamed squarely on her. But please help me adjust my confusion. I do not want to be the one who is under a wrong opinion about things. I am really glad to be a member of this forum, although I just joined and I just went through some of the threads in here, I find this forum very useful and really feeds me with a lot of information.

Thank you.

:)

I think large number of japanese public dont understand that, just becase CP masako sama is able to go out shopping/horse riding with her friends/family etc it does not mean she has no mental heath issue. I've come across patients who are very unstable mentally yet they seem quite well physically on appearance. Their true mental stability shows sometimes when they are put under pressure, stress, etc. they may just flip and go into the state of mind that they may not talk to anyone for days while some gets violent, suicidal, etc. But unless one's well informed on signs of mental illnesses it is easy for one to assume that CP masako is well enough to perform her formal duty when she in fact isnt. I also hear japanese public are wanting to hear from CP masako's doctors... but we are (people in medical profession) are not permitted to talk about patients' condition pubicly, as it is called keeping patients' confidentiality. So there is so little her medical team can actually say hence some concludes that CP is not really ill, but just being a lazy, spoilt so and so!

I did read though in japanese newspaper that her doctors do encourage her to go out and about as a therapy. I think that is a very good way of keeping her mind occupied with positive things in life.

I so hope and wish her a happiness with her loving family. I have always admired her husband CP Narihito. He is very down to earth I think and is
friendly....so he comes across.

Does IHA allow her to do all her private outings because of the advice by her medical team? If so, why do many people unaware of this and accuse her of being a 'lazy princess that refuses to do her duties'?

Hello, Sanchia, welcome!:flowers:
The problem is that there is hardly any reliable official information about what the imperials can or cannot do. As far as I can see it seems to be even doubtful, for example, if they can make a telephone call by themselves or have a private number where friends or family can directly reach them. On the other hand, even if they do not have such a number it seems to be doubtful that their secretary (or whoever is taking up the phone) would decide on their own who they think fit to connect to them and who not, so it should not be supposed to make such a difference if they have a private telephone number. Or maybe does it?...:rolleyes:

I am quoting this example because it is so simple. I think you could find out in no time if the queen of England has a personal telephone number - or not (although it should be difficult to know what it is ;)) but with the Japanese imperials even that simple information seems to be doubtful and impossible to find out.

True, at one time, Masako and Naruhito went with their daughter to a public park for her „koen-debut“ (see http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=757984&postcount=92 and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=745781&postcount=66).
And it seems to be clear that they did this against the will of the IHA officials – so it is obviously not absolutely impossible for them to leave the palace on their own. But on the other hand, that was only a short time before Masako fell ill. It is possible that the IHA officials were taking their revenge on her for taking this liberty, and that it was that what finished her off. But again: just a guess.

Journalists like Ben Hills have been trying to find out what happens „behind the scenes“, and they may well be right. But in the end it all depends on whom you believe. Concerning the Japanese imperial family we have to rely much more on belief than on knowledge. (So what we are sharing here in the Japanese forum is rather a sort of religion than a science...;))

Concerning Masako being blamed as lazy, I have an opinion of my own. We know from the psychological sciences that when people are not allowed to live and show a vital side of themselves, they tend to repress this so-called „shadow“ and to project it onto another person or group of persons. In Japan laziness is deemed to be one of the greatest sins – and „laziness“ means, for example, to take all of the two weeks off that your work contract is giving you a right to... :ermm: Accordingly, Japan is - as far as I know – the only nation in the world where people die, literally, from overwork. So there must be a gigantic „shadow“ in the national psyche, as nobody is allowed to honestly confess that they would prefer to take a break and save their lives... This shadow is IMO being projected onto Masako because her illness is making her vulnerable for it. Besides that, I really do not think that this description has much to do with the real personality of Masako. If you look at her biography you see that she has always been fond of work and activity, and not so much of parties. She could have taken life much, much easier before her marriage but she did not choose to do so because she LOVED her work.

I personally do not think it a bad thing if a person prefers to work rather six hours than ten and goes out in the evening four times a week. (I am not Japanese, after all...;)) We cannot be all equal. I would not think worse of Masako if she were such a person. But I really cannot believe that she is like that because I have never seen or heard a character so totally change in ten years as hers would be obliged to have done, would she really try to shy away from her duties and have become a party g.irl. I actually think that the party-Masako is formed by the eye of those watching her, by the transference of a Japanese nightmare.

I think large number of japanese public dont understand...
Seiko, I am always glad to hear your opinion as the expert view of someone who is actually working in the medical field! And I always like to hear crown prince Naruhito´s praise because I am a great admirer of him, too. :flowers: The Japanese will have in him, IMO, one of their greatest leaders in all time. Maybe not all of them do appreciate him yet, but it sometimes takes a bit... Winston Churchill was ridiculed for many years because every time he stood up in parliament and made a speech it would be about the same boring old story of no peace being possible with n.azi Germany...:nonono: Nobody took him serious, and everybody laughed about him as about someone whose time was over and whose brains had probably already been affected by old age. It took some time until people saw that he was right and accepted his lead. And now he is going to be remembered as one of the most outstanding personalities in English history.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
ChiaraC,

Ah, thank you for your kind comment :) and I, like you, also admire CP Naruhito. I feel he is a very decent man and like his down to earth attitude even with the media people.

CP Masako also, in answering childrens' question (at a school they visited) once said "I like CP's thoughtfulness to other people's feelings"

Awwww :)

I agree with you seiko and ChiaraC, both CP Naruhito and CP Masako are very nice and down to earth persons. They truly love and support each other, I learn a lot from them..

I agree with you, el-khanz !! they are great people, and I am sure they fulfill their duties at their best !!

I'm not sure if this is the wright thread for my question.
Does anyone know any details about CPss Masako's sisters Mrs Shibuya and Mrs Ikeda current life events? Do they have any children of their own, Masako's nephews?

And French Wikipedia refers the writer Jun Etou to be Masako's uncle
Jun Etō - Wikipédia
They say he has commited suiside in 1999. What a tragedy for the whole family...
Sorry for my clumsy English! I'd like to get some information about Masako's relatives.

I'm horrified to think such hostile criticism and negativity exists towards Princess Masako and possibly even towards Princess Aiko. Am I correct to assume this coming from the Japanese public? I suspect there would be some among Japan's imperial family members since her role as Crown Princess, which is of great challenges and expectations, wasn't properly conducted due to matters related to her infertility, but never imagined she was disliked by many outside.

I've been a fan of Princess Masako since she was announced to be the next Crown Princess, and like many of her fans of the world I've anticipated her public role. I was sure she would have an effect on the rigid ways of the Imperial Family and bring some change, even the slightest, but I guess I must have been naive regarding the 1,500 year old legacy.....it's unbreakable!!

Regardless of what's been said about Princess Masako I wish her the very best and hope she decides to take on bigger roles and make use of her ability and many talents.

I personally think Princess Masako gives the biggest and friendliest smile unlike other imperial family members whose smiles usually appear to look contrived or insincere.

I think that you'll find, Yeo-wang, that Crown Princess Masako has many fans here.:flowers: I fully agree with your comments as well.

Regardless of what's been said about Princess Masako I wish her the very best and hope she decides to take on bigger roles and make use of her ability and many talents.

I personally think Princess Masako gives the biggest and friendliest smile unlike other imperial family members whose smiles usually appear to look contrived or insincere.

I like Masako. I read somewhere that during a dinner she was sitting between Clinton and Putin and she spoke to both in their language. Now that's impressive .

That's REALLY impressive, I agree. She must be an extremely intelligent woman.

I like Masako. I read somewhere that during a dinner she was sitting between Clinton and Putin and she spoke to both in their language. Now that's impressive .

Yes, she's multi-lingual and English is like her native language , Japanese. Prince Masako was educated mostly in the West, primarily in the United States. She earned her degree from Harvard University and also attended Oxford University.

She was academically driven and achieved impressive results. It would be a shame to just remain a beautiful princess living in a royal palace when she has so much to offer as an intelligent woman.

I know what you mean here.....dont get me wrong, I like Kiko sama very much and think she makes a lovely princess. But her smile looks a bit like a "robot" to me, sometimes:ermm:.

Also, if you hear masako sama and the CP speaking in japanese, you can detect that they both have great sense of humour.

Having said that, I've read many times Prince Akishino is quite funny, not very serious at all.

I know what you mean here.....dont get me wrong, I like Kiko sama very much and think she makes a lovely princess. But her smile looks a bit like a "robot" to me, sometimes:ermm:.

Also, if you hear masako sama and the CP speaking in japanese, you can detect that they both have great sense of humour.

Having said that, I've read many times Prince Akishino is quite funny, not very serious at all.

Seiko, that's music to my ears that the royal members of younger generation have abundant sense of humor...there's HOPE for the Imperial Family to shed some of the cemented image of being rigid and aloof in the future.

Abandoning some of the antiquated customs and manners won't lose the respect of the Japanese people, in fact, the younger generations would welcome the refreshed/friendly Imperial Family of their country, not to mention the fans of the world.

I'll be looking forward to the day when CP Naruhito ascends the throne and make actual change in the Imperial Household.

Once Masako sama was asked (at the conference on her birthday) what is like to have family dogs.
Her reply; "Well...I feel they help our (her and the CP) relationship...what I mean is, we say in Japan that even dogs wont eat the seed of discord among married couple...but ours do, quite happily".

The Crown Princess's father Hisashi Owada who is the International Court of Justice president will have to judge Japan for the Antarctic whaling.
The Australian - full article

Hisashi Owada, the president of the International Court of Justice and the Crown Princess's father, became the third member of tribunal arbitral in case of Swiss vs. Libya. - Le Temps

A national group of judges endorsed Wednesday a bid by International Court of Justice President Hisashi Owada to seek re-election as a judge of the world court in a fall 2011 poll, the Foreign Ministry said.
The 77-year-old former diplomat and father of Crown Princess Masako who has been serving as an ICJ judge since 2003 won approval for his re-election bid by the members of the national group of the Permanent Court of Arbitration. He assumed the presidency of the international judicial body in February last year. - Kyodo News

I wish we were able to knw if this "criticism" is true or it is only a bad rumor...:ermm:

Vanesa.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what the problem is with this statement. I can't fathom why anyone could take exception to what she said. She called it a blessing that she has a healthy child, and expressed concern and compassion for those that do not.

Every parent wishes for and prays for a healthy child, and are thankful when they get one. That does not mean that they will not love a disabled child less. No one knows how they will react to such a situation until they are confronted with it.

Perhaps something has been lost in translation, but I can find nothing wrong with this statement.

I agree with you totally. However, there are those malcontent elements in Japan who are so fanatically anti-Masako and her daughter that they are trying every minute to damage their images.

I wish we were able to knw if this "criticism" is true or it is only a bad rumor...:ermm:

Vanesa.

It seems as though it is true that the Princess Naruhito (Masako) has been verbally attacked by many of the Japanese extreme right. It is quite apparent according to some internet sites that they are trying constantly to damage her reputation. This character assassination of Masako seems to be escalating day by day and some of them are even campaigning to remove the Prince Naruhito from the position of the heir apparent.

Some internet sites report that a man named Takeda has been encouraging the members of the fanatic right wing movement to murder the Japanese politicians who are pro-Princess Toshi's ascension to the Japanese throne. They are also calling the Prince Fumihito's family the "Holy Family" and his wife the Princess Fumihito (Kiko) who gave a birth to a boy the "Holy Mother" and the "Saviour".

And ..., the Prince Tomohito (of Mikasa) suggested that the male members of the Japanese imperial family should take up concubines in order to produce more male members of their clan.

Last edited:
It seems as though it is true that the Princess Naruhito (Masako) has been verbally attacked by many of the Japanese extreme right. It is quite apparent according to some internet sites that they are trying constantly to damage her reputation. This character assassination of Masako seems to be escalating day by day and some of them are even campaigning to remove the Prince Naruhito from the position of the heir apparent.

Some internet sites report that a man named Takeda has been encouraging the members of the fanatic right wing movement to murder the Japanese politicians who are pro-Princess Toshi's ascension to the Japanese throne. They are also calling the Prince Fumihito's family the "Holy Family" and his wife the Princess Fumihito (Kiko) who gave a birth to a boy the "Holy Mother" and the "Saviour".

And ..., the Prince Tomohito (of Mikasa) suggested that the male members of the Japanese imperial family should take up concubines in order to produce more male members of their clan.

Masako is not "Princess Naruhito" in English she is Crown Princess Masako and in Japanese she is referred to as "Masako-sama".

The far right extremists in Japan are a very tiny group of people. And the internet is the prime breeding area of extremists everywhere but they don't reflect society in general. Nor do they have much impact on it.
Back before Prince Hisahito was born, a rally was held in Tokyo where 10,000 people (not an actual count but an approximation by the media there so easily could have been far less) protested against female succession. The number sounds impressive until one puts it in context, Tokyo is a city with a population of 12 million people, Meiji Jinja, the main Shinto shrine at New Year when families go to the shrine, has 1 million people at the shrine. 10,000 people turning up for anything in Tokyo is a very small amount of people, illustrating that few people actually cared to protest against female succession. (Factoring too that some of the protesters would have been bussed in from other areas, the far right groups have their own buses which they use in rallies)

Prince Tomohito did not suggest that male members take up concubines! That's one of those factoids that does the rounds. What Prince Tomohito actually wrote, he never said it! He wrote in a newsletter to one of his patronages about the succession problem (this was before Kiko was pregnant with Hisahito) that in the past concubines were used to produce male heirs, BUT in this day and age that was not an acceptable alternative. Considering that Emperor Hirohito in the 1930s after the birth of 4 daughters and no sons, refused to use a concubine, the use of concubines in the Japanese Imperial Family is long dead.

Masako isn't overly popular in Japan among people, but that has mainly to do with the fact that she is seen as shirking her workload. Everyone in Japan who works is stressed! Therefore not much sympathy goes to Masako, families stresses are also common, motherinlaw issues, family expectations, now Japanese families also have to deal with lack of employment. Women who worked before marriage, struggle with trying to balance their family life with wanting to rejoin the workforce. Masako isn't the only Japanese woman who gave up her career to marry and is now unhappy, there are millions of them!

...Masako isn't overly popular in Japan among people, but that has mainly to do with the fact that she is seen as shirking her workload...
Charlotte1,
Thanks for clearing the situation! Well done indeed.:flowers:
I believe all the speculations about "the Crown Princess's criticisms" are due to the book "The Prisoner of the Chrysantemum throne" which is full of inaccuracies and rumors itself.
I can't but say I was impressed greatly with HIM the Empress's sence of duty to perform her official routine during her eye illness.

Masako is not "Princess Naruhito" in English she is Crown Princess Masako and in Japanese she is referred to as "Masako-sama".

The far right extremists in Japan are a very tiny group of people. And the internet is the prime breeding area of extremists everywhere but they don't reflect society in general. Nor do they have much impact on it.
Back before Prince Hisahito was born, a rally was held in Tokyo where 10,000 people (not an actual count but an approximation by the media there so easily could have been far less) protested against female succession. The number sounds impressive until one puts it in context, Tokyo is a city with a population of 12 million people, Meiji Jinja, the main Shinto shrine at New Year when families go to the shrine, has 1 million people at the shrine. 10,000 people turning up for anything in Tokyo is a very small amount of people, illustrating that few people actually cared to protest against female succession. (Factoring too that some of the protesters would have been bussed in from other areas, the far right groups have their own buses which they use in rallies)

Prince Tomohito did not suggest that male members take up concubines! That's one of those factoids that does the rounds. What Prince Tomohito actually wrote, he never said it! He wrote in a newsletter to one of his patronages about the succession problem (this was before Kiko was pregnant with Hisahito) that in the past concubines were used to produce male heirs, BUT in this day and age that was not an acceptable alternative. Considering that Emperor Hirohito in the 1930s after the birth of 4 daughters and no sons, refused to use a concubine, the use of concubines in the Japanese Imperial Family is long dead.

Masako isn't overly popular in Japan among people, but that has mainly to do with the fact that she is seen as shirking her workload. Everyone in Japan who works is stressed! Therefore not much sympathy goes to Masako, families stresses are also common, motherinlaw issues, family expectations, now Japanese families also have to deal with lack of employment. Women who worked before marriage, struggle with trying to balance their family life with wanting to rejoin the workforce. Masako isn't the only Japanese woman who gave up her career to marry and is now unhappy, there are millions of them!

Thank you for your kind reply. Well, according to 宮内庁 (kunai cho), Masako's correct title is 皇太子徳仁親王妃雅子 (Kotaishi naruhito shinnohi masako) that, I thought, it was correct to refer her as the Princess Naruhito.

Yes, I should have said that the prince had "written" rather than "said". I understand that it was 読売新聞 (yomiuri shinbun) which reported about 寬仁親王's (Tomohito Sinno) comment re: 側室 (soku****su) but am I correct ?

Whatever it is, the prince is against 女系天皇 (nyokei tenno). Am I correct ?

I also understand that the prince had referred the Japanese nationals as "民草 (tamikusa)" in the past and this offended some Japanese people.

I was also under the impression that the tradition of 側室 (soku****su) was discontinued during the reign of the Emperor Taisho.

Regarding Masako, I am under the impression that she is suffering from 適応障害 (tekio shogai) but the general public of Japan are not so sympathetic because of the reasons that you have mentioned. This leads me to wonder if the Japanese general public are not aware of the importance of the mental health issues. Here in the West, though there are some prejudices, we have become very much aware of such issues as the mental health problems. When the fact that the Princess Victoria was suffering from anorexia was established, people in general were very sympathetic towards her. It was the same when the Duchess of Kent's depression was reported, people were more understanding of her situation.

Last edited:
Charlotte1,
Thanks for clearing the situation! Well done indeed.:flowers:
I believe all the speculations about "the Crown Princess's criticisms" are due to the book "The Prisoner of the Chrysantemum throne" which is full of inaccuracies and rumors itself.
I can't but say I was impressed greatly with HIM the Empress's sence of duty to perform her official routine during her eye illness.

Oh, I've never heard about the book about which you mention here. What is it about ?

I, too, understand that Masako is linguistic and speaks Japanese, English and French well and has a command of some German, Spanish and Russian as well.

I also understand that she was very thoughtful when Felipe, Prince of Asturias and Doña Letizia were visiting Tokyo. Masako kindly organised a menu for a state dinner which was suitable for then pregnant Letizia. I suppose that, because she once misscarried, she was very much aware of Letizia's possible anxiety in her pregnancy. This sort of personal touch is very important and demonstrates what sort of person Masako is, I think. Probably, she is a very sensitive person that she has developed this adjustment disorder.

Japan is an extremely cruel country, which strives for perfection and rests upon strict adherence to traditions. Throughout Japanese history, the Imperial family has been a symbol of the Japanese identity as a nation. So the Japanese will be reluctant to introduce any major changes that may adversely affect this symbol or tarnish its images in any manner. The Japanese respect harmony and do not like anyone, who attempts to express his/her personal opinion. Any person, who dares to behave in differently, always gets pressure from others to conform to generally accepted rules and traditions, receive harsh criticism, and suffer ostracism. I believe that Crown Princess Masako dared to utter “me” a few times instead of “we”. In short, Crown Princess Masako attempted to rock the boat of the eternal harmony and peace. The same situation takes place in Vatican.

I do not think that Japan is an extremely cruel country but she has her own social code which may be quite different from our sort of social code. I am under the impression that Saudi Arabia can be seen as an extremely cruel country where women are not allowed to drive cars, can be stoned to death etc..

The Japanese Emperor (天皇tenno) was only brought into the lime light of the Japanese politics and society in the latter part of the 19th century because of the social changes that came about after the extreme pressure to end her international isolation policy (鎖国sakoku) was placed upon Japan by the western countries such as the USA, the UK, France, Russia and so on. Until then not many Japanese people were really aware of the emperor's existance. They were only vaguely aware that there was a Shogun (将軍) or the Kubosama (公方さま) in Edo but their true rulers were their feudal lords (大名daimyos) who ruled their regions directly. It was after the Meiji Restoration when the emperor became more like a European style monarch, so I understand, and many Japanese people of the extreme right movement today are wanting to restore the Meiji style imperial authority which was very similar to that of the German Kaiser. Hirohito only became the synbol of the Japanese nation's unity after the WWII when the new national constitution of Japan was declared.

I understand that it was after Masako's miscarriage when some Japanese people started becoming more hostile towards her. Some people blamed her for losing the Crown Prince's (東宮さまTogusama) child and when she gave a birth to a girl, they became more aggressive in their tactics in condemning her and now some malcontent elements in the Japanese society are saying that Masako is a spy from the Sokagakkai (創価学会) sent into the imperial family in order to destroy the imperial lineage (皇統koto) etc..

I also understood that the Empress Michiko was treated quite harshly by her mother-in-law the Empress Nagako (香淳皇后Kojun kogo) when she married to Akihito. The Princesses Takamatsu (宣仁親王妃喜久子Nobuhito shinnohi Kikuko) and Chichibu (雍仁親王妃勢津子Yasuhito shinnohi setsuko) as well as Nobuko Matsudaira (松平 信子) were also hostile to Michiko, too, because she did not come from an aristocratic/dynastic background. Having said that, I understand that the Empress Nagoko was badly treated by her mother-in-law the Empress Sadako (貞明皇后the teimei kogo) as well during the period in which she was still the crown princess consort.

It seems as if the imperial family have been making some changes in their traditions for a while by the looks of its history. The Emperor Meiji was the first emperor in Japan to abolish the nyoin (女院) system in his household that his natural mother Yoshiko Nakayama was not given an official title in the court circle. Neither his concubine Naruko Yanagiwara was given a title of her own. She was later referred as Niinotsubone (二位の局) unofficially because of her rank in the Japanese honours system.

The Emperor Meiji also instructed his courtiers not to use goshokotoba (御所ことば ) or the court language and adopted the Kanto (関東) buke (武家) style language as the official language and introduced the European style dress code into the life of his court.

The Empress Nagoka was also the first imperial consort who breast-fed her own children. She did have a wet nurse for her children but whenever it was possible she breast-fed her children.

Yes, I agree, to a degree, this situation is somehow similar to that of the Vatican authority and the Roman Catholic Church as a whole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom