The Royal Cemetery, Mausoleums & Burial Customs of the JRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maryshawn

Serene Highness
City
Green Bay
Country
United States
The discussion about Queen Alia raised this question in my mind. King Hussein built a beautiful tomb/mausoleum for her but he was buried elsewhere. Is there a separation in death so spouses are not buried side by side? I would be interested in a response from someone from the area in terms of what is rule or custom? The real question is where will Queen Noor be buried and will it even be in Jordan? I suppose a lot depends on where her life goes on from here. Is it considered OK to cremate in Arabic countries? I apologize for my ignorance and the perhaps maudlin topic but am truly curious.

Thank you for any insights,

Mary Shawn

Mary
I will try to answer some of your questions:
1- Cremation is absolutely forbidden in Islam, as it is in all monotheistic faiths.
2- I am not sure but I do not believe that there are separate cemetries for men and women in Islam so that would rule out why King Hussein and Queen Alia and buried side by side. I know you didn't ask this, but it is something that crossed my mind as I was trying to find a reason.
3- According to Islam, a dead person should be buried as soon as possible. Therefore theoretically speaking, should Queen Noor die outside Jordan, then it would be expected that she get buried wherever she died in. However, as she is a dignitary and an ex-Queen, I believe her body would be flown back to Jordan.

Please feel free to ask any other questions... :flower:

*...why King Hussein and Queen Alia are not buried side by side.

Do the Jordanian royals have a family cemetary/tomb/crypt, etc.? That even if Queen Noor could not be buried next to King Hussein, she could buried in the same general vicinity as him, even if they are seperated in some way.

Well, I found the answer by going to King Hussein's website and clicking on royal palaces. This section contains a profile of the Royal Cemetery where the King is buried and it specifically says his mother and father are there, as well as relatives--both male and female--so there is no separation.

Perhaps the beautiful tomb created for Queen Alia was just a special way of paying homage to His Queen. He was in such a state of shock and grief, I'm sure it makes sense He would wish to honor her in a very special way.

Mary Shawn

Originally posted by maryshawn@May 1st, 2004 - 5:53 pm
Well, I found the answer by going to King Hussein's website and clicking on royal palaces. This section contains a profile of the Royal Cemetery where the King is buried and it specifically says his mother and father are there, as well as relatives--both male and female--so there is no separation.

Perhaps the beautiful tomb created for Queen Alia was just a special way of paying homage to His Queen. He was in such a state of shock and grief, I'm sure it makes sense He would wish to honor her in a very special way.

Mary Shawn
You might like the know: Sharif Hussein (great-great father of Abdullah II) is buried in Jeruzalem near the Al Aqsa mosk. He was brought there, if I remember correctly he died in Amman. King Abdullah I was buried at the same side as king Hussein

I've posted this elsewhere, but I've heard that King Hussein built a sort of palace for Queen Alia to be laid to rest.

Originally posted by Laura01@Jul 24th, 2004 - 12:27 pm
I don't know if there are already pictures posted of queen Alia's mausoleum on LTR
But here is a link to a website that has pics of the mausoleum.
I wonder if prince Ali and princess Haya will be buried there as well.

http://archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.tcl?site_id=425
Thank you for posting the link - the mausoleum is amazing.. is that where King Hussein was also buried?

Thank you for posting the link - the mausoleum is amazing.. is that where King Hussein was also buried?
That's a good question...Where is KH buried?

Last edited by a moderator:
"The funeral of King Hussein today brought together kings, presidents and dignitaries from more than 50 nations, as well as approximately one million Jordanian mourners, to bid their final farewell. His Majesty made his last journey through the streets of Amman on a flower bedecked carriage from his home, Bab al-Salaam, to his final place of resting in the Royal Tombs of the Royal Hashemite Court, which also holds the graves of his grandfather King Abdullah, his father King Talal, and mother Queen Zein.
"

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jul 27th, 2004 - 11:42 pm
"The funeral of King Hussein today brought together kings, presidents and dignitaries from more than 50 nations, as well as approximately one million Jordanian mourners, to bid their final farewell. His Majesty made his last journey through the streets of Amman on a flower bedecked carriage from his home, Bab al-Salaam, to his final place of resting in the Royal Tombs of the Royal Hashemite Court, which also holds the graves of his grandfather King Abdullah, his father King Talal, and mother Queen Zein.
"
Thanks for the info Bubbette.. I thought he would want to buried alongside Alia.. surely Ali will want to be buried alongside his mother.. Haya is married to Mo - he may want her to be buried alongside him in Dubai.

Queen Alia's Mausoleum

Josefine said:
have anyother heard of this?
I just wish I had the photo (I think I saw it somewhere here). Yes, he did indeed have a GORGEOUS tomb created for Queen Alia. What I would like to know is does someone have the photo and how long did it take to build? It must have been quite sometime....

Also, given situation in Jordan, I am now assuming Noor--if not allowed in JRF site by KH--would remain in US in her own family plot. Yes, this is sad discussing deaths but I think the moderator made a good point in that people have an interest and I've found all most kind in my genuine interest......I initiated question after discussion with an archeaologist who didn't know but told me fascinating stories about what he'd excavated in Middle East--and some were "royal" from long ago....burial sites. Hence my question.

QUEEN ALIA MAUSOLEUM:

Overlooking the Jordan valley and 17km from Amman, the site lies atop a prominent hill not far from the Royal Palace. The prayer hall, which accommodates 500 person, is covered with a large central dome and the four lateral areas are covered with smaller ones. To the right of the main entry is placed the black marble sarcophagus of the late Queen. The mosque principal structure is a reinforced concrete frame. The ferroconcrete mesh domes are surfaced with trowelled concrete skins, a technology adapted from ship building.

From Archnet

Attachments

• IAA7283.jpg
    IAA7283.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IAA7284.jpg
    IAA7284.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 921
  • IAA7285.jpg
    IAA7285.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 668
  • IAA7286.jpg
    IAA7286.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 867
The Royal Cemetery

Located in the Royal Court compound, this is where King Hussein, King Abdullah, King Talal and Queen Zein al-Sharaf rest. Also in the Royal Cemetery rest members of the royal family; the sharifs (nobles), and several Prime Ministers.
The Royal Palaces

Last edited by a moderator:
Salma,
Do you know why queen Alia was buried outside the royal Cemetery where the late King Hussein I, King Abdullah I, King Talal and Queen Zein al-Sharaf rest ??

It was King Hussein own desire. Queen Alia loved the area therefore King and she decided built the Al-Hashmiya Palace (from the Queen Alia´s mausoleum you can see the palace) so as she couldn´t enjoy the new palace King decided burried her there.

Back
Top Bottom