The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Thanks for the info Veram. But I haven't said that Noor didn't relate with celebrities before 1999.. My replay comes for the post of Humera, the most part of acts and relationships that she has said, are after the death of king Hussein.

Humera, I wanted to say that the same goes for Feisal respect to Abir, And Abdullah respect to Haya and Ali. The problem is my terrible english
You are welcome. Your English is o.k. I had no problems to unterstand what you wanted to say. IMO QNoor's relationship with Abir and Feisal is fine but her other step-kids do no like her. We all do not know what happened behind closed doors, we only can/could see that Noor has/had an inharmonious relationship to most of her step-children, to her late mother-in-law, her brother-in-law and some other members of her late husband's family. Maybe she was not prepared by her American upbringing to deal with an extended Arab family.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
the King should have shared some responsiblity for that IMO
I agree. The King shares the responsibility too. He re-married relatively soon after Queen Alia's death and Ali and Haya were very young at the time and eventually left mostly to their grandmother's care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Humera, I wanted to say that the same goes for Feisal respect to Abir, And Abdullah respect to Haya and Ali. The problem is my terrible english
Sorry, I misunderstood. Your english is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98 View Post
Maybe she was not prepared by her American upbringing to deal with an extended Arab family.
That's a good point. I know a couple of people who come from a traditional background where extended families are the norm but because they grew up in the West, they can't handle all the relatives back home. For a woman who has grown up in Western society where kids leave home and live on their own fairly young/as soon as they become adults and are used to living independent and private lives, a traditional family setting can be a bit of a shock. But then I also know some people (myself included) who are perfectly capable of accepting and adjusting to extended family.
I still get the feeling that Queen Noor is more at ease in the US. She has hinted as much in some interviews like the one where she said that in America she can walk down the street wearing no make-up and not worry about people recognizing her. She is also freer there to pursue relationships with men which would be frowned up in Jordan. It kind of reminds me of Princess Firyal who now lives primarily in the West and has had male companions for years. She hasn't remarried despite her divorce from Prince Muhammad, still calls herself Princess of Jordan and enjoys all the prestige of her title. She has an independent life and doesn't have to worry about protocol.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think you are right. She is very much still American. I have seen her on many different shows. She is very respectful of her position and her late husband's, but she has very western ideas. I think she is wonderful and could bridge a gap if people would let her.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, Countess. Veram98 has a good point as well. IMO, Q.Noor wasn't prepared by her western upbringing to deal with such spoiled children either. If I remember rightly, this is how she had once described Haya and Ali.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I agree, Countess. Veram98 has a good point as well. IMO, Q.Noor wasn't prepared by her western upbringing to deal with such spoiled children either. If I remember rightly, this is how she had once described Haya and Ali.
Noor, this comment on Ali and Haya is a bit unfair. They were just 2 resp. 4 yours old when QNoor became their new "mother" - after they had lost their own mother as littles babies.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Sure, but they stayed together all the way until they turned 18-19 I suppose. Perhaps they were just too naughty or didn't behave well and gave QN a hard time. She knows best after all!
Old 09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Sure, but they stayed together all the way until they turned 18-19 I suppose. Perhaps they were just too naughty or didn't behave well and gave QN a hard time. She knows best after all!
They would have needed a mother, and I think (sorry, maybe I am wrong, but that's my opinion), QNoor neglected a bit this part of her numerous responsibilities she took over with her mariage to a man who was not only a king but the father of several motherless little kids (I do not speak about Dina's or Muna's children, they had their own mothers).
Old 09-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

You're right. But I understand her as she had 4 children of her own. Perhaps we shouldn't judge at all. Who would be fair in such an awkward situation?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You're right. But I understand her as she had 4 children of her own. Perhaps we shouldn't judge at all. Who would be fair in such an awkward situation?
I agree, it was certainly not easy - neither for her nor for her step-children. And the situation became certainly later on even more awkward for everybody - when not only rivalry or jealousy among siblings played a role any more (like in many blended families), but the dispute was now also about power, the succession to a throne (you should for example not forget that PAli had been for a while the most probable heir to the throne - after PHassan) and maybe even money.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Money, oh you bet, Veram. I have heard and read many stories concerning their finances and the way K.Hussein's fortune was shared. Not a pleasant situation at all, if you add the other things you just described.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Courtier

There are a lot of rumors flying around. I guess that the fault in all this is not only on one side. The unpleasant situation is a bit the fault of all of them (and I include here particularly KHussein!), but it's very sad.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ali and Haya haven't been known to have any problems with other members of the JRF. It is in fact Queen Noor who has often been rumoured to be at odds with various in-laws and there is obviously some truth to the insinuations because it was frequently brought up in the western media as well, around the time of King Hussein's death; specifically her relationships with Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath.
In the end though, I would not blame Ali and Haya, whether or not they misbehaved is irrelevant (and we don't know that they did, they've always appeared from pictures to be two very sweet kids who found strength in one another). If Noor's own children misbehaved, do you think she'd ignore or disown them? Kids will be kids, it is always the adults around them who have the responsibility to take care of and love them, regardless of their behaviour.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera View Post
Ali and Haya haven't been known to have any problems with other members of the JRF.
You are right. Despite the problems I mentioned their relationship to Hamzah, Hashem, Iman and Rayah (not to mention KA and other members of the family) seems to be very close.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Noor did a great job for Jordan. She was treated badly in her widowhood though.
I doubt there was much love lost for a woman who treated her stepchildren like dirt, manipulated her dying husband over the issue of succession and then proceeded to stab her brother in law and sister in law in the back...

Hardly the actions of a decent woman by any stretch of the imagination
Old 09-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Heir Apparent

^ It seems to me that many people 'love to hate' QN for all these. Even if she had done half of what you just described here, my opinion is that this just proves how intelligent she is. QN knew what was going to happen to her and her children if Abdullah or Hassan ascended to the throne. She acted smart and lost, it happens.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I love the manipulation claims.

Even if Noor pushed for her son to be Crown Prince, the King was dying. He didn't have to do it. He could have just delayed doing it before he died. Even a dying King was still King.

Changing the succession to name his son Abdullah instead of his brother Hassan makes sense to me. Just like Abdullah naming his son instead of his brother. And wasn't Hassan and his wife accused (not sure if there was legit proof) of trying to sabotage Noor. It sounds like she did it to them before they did it to her.

Noor seems to have a civil relationship with her stepchildren. Some appear to like her and some not. It happens. Either way I am not sure we will ever learn the truth of the relationship between her step children. From what I have read, Noor has acknolwedged that she wasn't a perfect parent but she never did not refer to Hussein's children as her step children. She has always referred to them as her children. And didn't Haya in the past say that Noor was a decent mother to them before she did a 360? Whats the truth? I don't think Ali or Faisal or Aisha have ever said anything bad about Noor.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

^ You're right here. I've read that Hassan approached some officers in order to support him while the King was in the US. The little brother appeared a bit greedy to many people and also a bit in a hurry to secure his future position as King. I can't even imagine that a smart woman would sit back and wait... Let's be realistic, at least I would do the same in her position (push my eldest to the throne and secure my children's future).
Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
^ You're right here. I've read that Hassan approached some officers in order to support him while the King was in the US. The little brother appeared a bit greedy to many people and also a bit in a hurry to secure his future position as King. I can't even imagine that a smart woman would sit back and wait... Let's be realistic, at least I would do the same in her position (push my eldest to the throne and secure my children's future).
You are just believing the smearing campaign against PHassan.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't believe the rumours about Prince Hassan either. If that were true, he and his family would hardly be welcome among King Hussein's children. But they appear to have a very good relationship with King Abdullah and the others. Princess Sumaya especially is very active in terms of her official duties. Even Queen Noor has attempted a reconciliation of sorts, attending Princess Badiya's wedding, and a couple of other events with Prince Hassan and his family.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98 View Post
You are just believing the smearing campaign against PHassan.
No, I don't believe any of these, I just wrote what has been reported again and again ('I've read', 'appeared to many people') over the years. What I believe is that this is a very complicated, yet fascinating, family and that it is more than certain that none of us will ever find out the whole truth about their relationships.