The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Rania, King Abdullah and Queen Noor

I asked a question a while back, and I don't know if it was answered or not. So I decided to ask it again. It is in regards to the relations ship with the present King and Queen, and Queen Noor. My impression, when is strickly from the American press, is that they don't get along in private. But I was wondering in public, when the present King and Queen are in America is Queen Noor out of the country? Or does she hold an official dinner for them, or does she hold an informal lunch. Or do they mutually ignore each other?

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

The King and Queen are usually in the US for official business so it is unlikely that they will have the time to meet up. Although they may do so privately. Rania has said that she emails Noor on a regular basis so they are in touch.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Aristocracy

I know there was some disappointment when Prince Hamzeh was removed as Crown Prince years ago, but am wondering, does Rania and Abdullah stay in contact with Queen Noor at all? I know they avoid public events together, but how can they avoid each other completely? Can someone tell me the nature of their relationship?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Courtier

There is no warmth there. They all do their part for the camera when they have to but essentially, it was made clear to Noor that she wasn't welcome for any length of time in Jordan and Abdullah tried to sue Noor for money after Hussein's death. It is common knowledge in Jordan. Noor was and is well regarded in Jordan. Much more than the current queen. The difference is that Noor listened to the people. When she was first queen, Noor dressed in Valentino and Dior like Alia had done before her as King Hussein liked his wives to dress well. She also wore lots of expensive jewellery but following riots in Ma'an where she was accused of extravagance, she then toned down her look to kaftans, thoubs and safari type suits with very simple Turkish evil eye type jewellery and never anything ostentatious. Queen Noor possibly was very displeased when the Jerash festival was hijacked, renamed and given over to Rania after years of Noor's hard work and initiative in starting it and building it up to be a premier festival n the Arab world and internationally but reduced to an ill attended fiasco under the new management. Noor's school that she set up focuses on academically gifted kids and not just rich kids like Rania's does. Noor did a great job for Jordan. She was treated badly in her widowhood though.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae143 View Post
I know there was some disappointment when Prince Hamzeh was removed as Crown Prince years ago, but am wondering, does Rania and Abdullah stay in contact with Queen Noor at all? I know they avoid public events together, but how can they avoid each other completely? Can someone tell me the nature of their relationship?
IMO there is not much love left between QNoor and (most of) her stepchildren (I remember for example some remarks by PHaya or PAli suggesting this assumption). I doubt that this is QRania's fault
Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Who suggested it was? But it was also a clear signal from Abdullah when he took the throne that the old way was dead and it was himself, Rania and at the time, Hamzah who were 'the new team' and Abdullah had no intention of honouring his promise to his dying father about Hamzah. He let him stay in place long enough to seem circumspect then stripped him of his title. Rania is dependent upon Abdullah for position and everything she has so she will always follow Abdullah's lead.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting. I've always wondered about all of the above. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Who suggested it was? But it was also a clear signal from Abdullah when he took the throne that the old way was dead and it was himself, Rania and at the time, Hamzah who were 'the new team' and Abdullah had no intention of honouring his promise to his dying father about Hamzah. He let him stay in place long enough to seem circumspect then stripped him of his title. Rania is dependent upon Abdullah for position and everything she has so she will always follow Abdullah's lead.
I am not sure where you got the idea that HM King Abdullah promised his dying father about making and keeping Prince Hamzah as Crown Prince. It is natural that the title should be with the king's oldest male child. HM King Hussein changed Crown Prince before his death from Prince Hassan to his oldest son. Why should people find King Abdullah's decision any different?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She was treated badly in her widowhood though.
I quite agree.

An almost exiled existance for the Dowager Queen which is very unfortunate.

Noor exuded a natural warmth that Rania lacks, imo. For Rania, its all lights, camera, action and seems to be invested as much into her own celebrity as she is in 'making a difference'.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

It was stated earlier that King Abdullah had tried to sue Queen Noor. What was his reason?
Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
It was stated earlier that King Abdullah had tried to sue Queen Noor. What was his reason?
Where, in the US? Why?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Aristocracy

In post #124. I was just going by that post. I had not heard that before, and was wondering why also.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

this is the first time I heard the problems with the king and the Queen Noor was that bad,so bad that Abdullah decide to sue her!!!
can you plz inform us more about that.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I quite agree.

An almost exiled existance for the Dowager Queen which is very unfortunate.

Noor exuded a natural warmth that Rania lacks, imo. For Rania, its all lights, camera, action and seems to be invested as much into her own celebrity as she is in 'making a difference'.
Excellent post, Madame Royale! Some people live only for money and power, so unfortunate...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

The Royal Family of Jordan has always hobnobbed with celebrities, including the late King Hussein, Princess Muna etc. Queen Noor is no different. In fact she has gone a step further, she attends film festivals, premieres, award shows (and has even hosted them) regularly. She's as at home among celebrities as Queen Rania if not more. Harrison Ford, who met Noor and her kids while filming Indiana Jones in Jordan is an old friend of hers (he appeared in her A&E bio). So are Meg Ryan, Bono and Angelina Jolie. She's far more comfortable socializing with high society in the States rather than in Jordan where she's been the target of gossip in the past.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Commoner

I think that it isn't fair to compare queen Noor appearances with Ranias after 1999. Since then, she has the title but not the same functions. Rania also have enough celebrity "friends", they share Bono. And Noor lives in USA.

There's something that surprises me about her relationships with her stepchildren. She seems to get along with Abir, but not with Haya and Ali, and the same applies to prince Faisal and king Abdullah.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I think that it isn't fair to compare queen Noor appearances with Ranias after 1999. Since then, she has the title but not the same functions. Rania also have enough celebrity "friends", they share Bono. And Noor lives in USA.

There's something that surprises me about her relationships with her stepchildren. She seems to get along with Abir, but not with Haya and Ali, and the same applies to prince Faisal and king Abdullah.
To celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary in 1998, KHussein and QNoor hosted a bash at Buckhurst (in the UK). Among the 400 or so guests, who included also some royals like Prince Charles, were a lot of their celebrity "friends". Harrison Ford was only one of them.
I remember this very well, because the Jordanian part of my family was very upset then (for them it was was of course QNoor's fault) - because they celebrated in the UK, with celebrities as guests (and because they were serving Chinese instead of Jordanian food).
Old 09-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
She seems to get along with Abir, but not with Haya and Ali, and the same applies to prince Faisal and king Abdullah.
I don't think so. There are many pictures that show warmth between Noor and Feisal (and some of Noor and Princess Alia, Feisal's ex-wife), even hugging each other excitedly during a sporting event. We can never really be sure of their personal relationships as only they are privy to the details.
It is true that she has had problems with Ali and Haya in the past. Once her own children were born, Queen Alia's seemed to fade in the background. Granted Ali and Haya can be seen in some family photos but not at family vacations that King Hussein and Queen Noor took. In contrast, Haya speaks very warmly of Princess Muna as a mother figure.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Since Haya is "stepmother" in a sense to her husbands kids...I wonder if she looks at her relationship with Noor in a different way. Noor was fairly young when she married the King, and she probably made some mistakes in relation to how she handled her relations with them. And in regards to Alia's children fading into the past, the King should have shared some responsiblity for that IMO. I mean, I don't have any step or half siblings, and I am the oldest and of course, I faded in the background (to a degree) when my parents had my sisters. Perhaps faded isn't the right word...when my sisters were young and couldn't take care of themselves, of course they were my parents priority. That's life.

I wonder if Haya looks back and sees that maybe Noor wasn't that bad after all. Its a hard thing to marry into an established family. Noor wouldn't be the first to make mistakes in regards to her step children. Some manage to rise above it or work it out and establish some type of relationship. Other of course, never become friends so to speak.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veram98 View Post
To celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary in 1998, KHussein and QNoor hosted a bash at Buckhurst (in the UK). Among the 400 or so guests, who included also some royals like Prince Charles, were a lot of their celebrity "friends". Harrison Ford was only one of them.
I remember this very well, because the Jordanian part of my family was very upset then (for them it was was of course QNoor's fault) - because they celebrated in the UK, with celebrities as guests (and because they were serving Chinese instead of Jordanian food).

Thanks for the info Veram. But I haven't said that Noor didn't relate with celebrities before 1999.. My replay comes for the post of Humera, the most part of acts and relationships that she has said, are after the death of king Hussein.

Humera, I wanted to say that the same goes for Feisal respect to Abir, And Abdullah respect to Haya and Ali. The problem is my terrible english