Queen Noor's Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Genevieve@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:12 pm
I wasn't aware of this information papillon; thanks for sharing it. While it seems then that Noor does earn some money from speeches and the like, she isn't earning a lot as she is not getting paid what Bill Clinton is, and in some cases she even waves her fee.

At any rate, she isn't cashing in on her role I don't think.

Another question: Does anyone think that Queen Noor might not care much for her title, and should Abdullah decide to strip her of her Queen-ly title, it wouldn't matter too much to her?
You're welcome, Genevieve! :flower:

I agree with you that QN isn't cashing in on her role but, at the same time, she isn't really that marketable. With speeches, for example, she cannot command $1 million per pop because most/much of her power and status are derived from her marriage. Now that her husband is dead, and there's another king and queen of Jordan, her day has passed. I doubt if, even in her peak, she could have commanded the fees of a leader of a major country, if only because she was not the leader but the spouse of a leader, and then of a small, impoverished country.

You pose an interesting question about the title. I happen to think it'd be devastating to her not to have even that any more. She has derived all of her fame and most of her power from that title. Without it, who would she be? It has opened doors for her (and continues to do so). I think she'd be lost without it. At the same time, I appreciate that it can probably be a burden for her in some situations. For example, she has expressed an interest in working for the United Nations, but not as a representative of Jordan or as the spouse of a former head of state. With the title of Queen of Jordan, that's asking a lot. People automatically associate her with her country and her husband and don't really see her as an autonomous, independent working woman. So, sure, I bet there are instances in which she'd love to dump the title, but not permanently, just when it suits her purpose.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:38 pm
Plus ... Queen Noor probably has an inheritance from her father.
True, but I sincerely doubt it was large enough to support the jet-setting lifestyle of a royal. And, too, it had to be divided among wives, children, grandchildren, and others he might've wanted to remember in his will.

papillon  Posted: Jul 13th, 2004 - 6:58 pm
(King Christian @ Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:38 pm)
Plus ... Queen Noor probably has an inheritance from her father.
True, but I sincerely doubt it was large enough to support the jet-setting lifestyle of a royal. And, too, it had to be divided among wives, children, grandchildren, and others he might've wanted to remember in his will.
Do I detect a note of cynicism ?

Not every father has a daughter who becomes a queen, and the father of Lisa' (as she was known before she married), Mr. Halaby was quite well off (ie: a jet-setter as well), if memory serves me correct.

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 13th, 2004 - 9:24 pm
Do I detect a note of cynicism ?

Not every father has a daughter who becomes a queen, and the father of Lisa' (as she was known before she married), Mr. Halaby was quite well off (ie: a jet-setter as well), if memory serves me correct.
No, no cynicism. It's just that, in his life, he was a working professional, not someone who was born to great means. According to QN and other sources, he'd had some money problems in his working life, so I really doubt he left enough of a fortune to make everyone in his inner circle independently wealthy. QN probably blows through more money than most people to maintain her lifestyle, so it just seems very unlikely to me that any inheritance from her father would be able to sustain that for long.

even so ..... there is this "whiff" of "envy" of QN's money.

however ..... what justification have you got, that QN "blow through .... money" ?

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 13th, 2004 - 10:28 pm
even so ..... there is this "whiff" of "envy" of QN's money.

however ..... what justification have you got, that QN "blow through .... money" ?
Whatever. You're entitled to your opinion. I've got my own means, so there's no need for envy.

Justification? Well, her position in life, oodles of news articles saying she's a spender, photos of her in designer and couture clothes.

Are you just in the mood for a fight? Because I don't have any interest in one. It will be very one way. ;)

"oodles of news articles" ..... gossip or more factual ?

"photos of her in designer and couture clothes" ..... what sort of image would she present if she went around as a frump ?

Originally posted by papillon@Jul 14th, 2004 - 12:12 am

Justification? Well, her position in life, oodles of news articles saying she's a spender, photos of her in designer and couture clothes.

I have very high opinion about Queen Noor. Can you say what newspapers are you talking about? We can elaborate how much right they can be or it’s just gossip? :flower:

Now that QN is no longer the "ruling" queen of Jordan, what do you think the future holds for her? Will she just continue to quietly go about her humanitarian work and role as a socialite, marking time until her son C. P. Hamzah's future becomes more clear? Or will she have some surprises up her sleeve? Do you think she is happy and as well adjusted to her new life as can be expected, or do you think she is struggling to deal with it?

she is in a dilly of a pickle ...... must make sure she gets funding from her royal provider, not burn any bridges, hope she can sidle out of the lime-light ......

I cant predict what the future holds for Queen Noor but I do think she's in a precarious position. She's still beautiful and relatively young but has essentially been compelled to take on the role of the faithful widow, especially given her eldest son's sensitive position. I dont envy her at all. While she still goes on carrying out her humanitarian duties and making public appearances, I seriously doubt that that's gratifying enough. I think right now, her focus are her kids. I've heard her say she'd never remarry again but who knows? she might fall in love with someone. If she does, I hope she'll get married again. I'd hate to see her miserable.

Originally posted by ~*~Humera~*~@Jul 18th, 2004 - 11:21 pm
I cant predict what the future holds for Queen Noor but I do think she's in a precarious position. She's still beautiful and relatively young but has essentially been compelled to take on the role of the faithful widow, especially given her eldest son's sensitive position. I dont envy her at all. While she still goes on carrying out her humanitarian duties and making public appearances, I seriously doubt that that's gratifying enough. I think right now, her focus are her kids. I've heard her say she'd never remarry again but who knows? she might fall in love with someone. If she does, I hope she'll get married again. I'd hate to see her miserable.
Agree with all your comments, Humera.

You make some very good points ~*~Humera~*~. I do agree that I think that Noor will continue to play the role of faithful widow for some time, at least untili Hamzah's position is much more certain. (Although how long might that be?) I do hope that if Hamzah and Noor have children in the next few years Noor might move back to Jordan or at least spend more time in Jordan to be closer to her grandchild. I sincerely do not believe that she'll marry ever again. I really believe that if she does find someone who comes remotely close to the special relationship she shared with Hussein, that they would not get married, but remain faithful companions like Jackie Kennedy and Maurice Templesman or Audrey Hepburn and Robert Wolders. I think that no matter how much she loved another man, a re-marriage could jeopardize Hamzah's position in that some people who are opposed to Hamzah might use his mother's re-marriage against him. And I think that Noor has fought too hard for her son to be in the position he is to jeopardize it.

I think that she will continue her many humanitarian projects, such as working with landmines and the like, but I could see her taking on a new charity/humanitarian project in King Hussein's name -- a foundation or organization that would take up causes that he felt strongly about and supported.

I am curious to know what others think about if/how Noor is shaping the lives of her younger daughters? Her daughters have some years before they get married, but does anyone think that she might try to arrange it so that they marry the sons of prominent Jordanian families or something of that nature to further secure Hamzah's position as Crown Prince and further stabilize her role in Jordan?

(It seems that everything I've written about Noor's future is centred around stabilzing Hamzah's precarious role as Crown Prince and King. I wonder what that means?!)

I agree that she may not remarry.. would that give Abdullah reason to strip her of her title? But do believe she has and will continue to have a companion. She's still so young - and to be the mourning widow would be very sad to watch.
I think she wants Hamzah to be King - although I think that as long as she's in the role of faithful widow to the beloved king, then it is a reminder of King Hussein and his hope to see Hamzah become King..
I don't think Hamzah will be king.. so I think that if she puts off her own happiness in hopes to secure his future - then that's just a waste of life.

Originally posted by Genevieve@Jul 21st, 2004 - 6:02 pm
I could see her taking on a new charity/humanitarian project in King Hussein's name -- a foundation or organization that would take up causes that he felt strongly about and supported.

I am curious to know what others think about if/how Noor is shaping the lives of her younger daughters? Her daughters have some years before they get married, but does anyone think that she might try to arrange it so that they marry the sons of prominent Jordanian families or something of that nature to further secure Hamzah's position as Crown Prince and further stabilize her role in Jordan?
Genevieve, she already leads the King Hussein Foundation, started shortly after his death and into which she folded her own foundation.

I don't know whether she has much influence on her daughters. Sad to say, but girls and women just don't count for much in that region of the world, so I doubt (in terms of succession and leadership) she worries about them as much as she does her sons, especially C.P. Hamzah. I'm sure she wants them to do well and marry well, but her daughters aren't as important to succession as her son(s).

Papillon - also parts of Queen Noor's Foundation were also merged into QRania's Jordan River Foundation..
Q Noor has said that her girls are close to her and know that they are Jordanian and that their future is in Jordan.. Since Iman graduated from Sandhurst - perhaps she will go into the armed forces like her sister Aisha.
Noor also said that when the girls were younger - they wanted to be veternarians..

Queen Noor seems increasingly happy to be in the US. She can have a "bad hair day," as she said w/o public scrutiny. She is close to her best friend, her sister and her family and friends.

She said after KH's death she "had envisioned they would have 20 more years together." So, until that last year when he was fighting cancer, her plans were to be Queen, raise Hamzah to be Crown Prince (I am speculating here) and continue her good works with landmines, women, etc.

I wonder--now that the book tour is over--if she is going to be as in demand by causes. The media certainly doesn't cover much about her.....but perhaps she prefers the privacy.

I would NOT base any decisions, were I her, on Hamzah's succession. Does anyone believe Rania would allow her husband to bypass their son???? You know the saying "if you want to make God laugh, make plans."

I wish her happiness and a contented future---man or no man 'tho she has many potential suitors, how do you go from Queen of a country to Mrs. ________. I can't envision it. And it would only put Rania one more step ahead of her....."Here's Queen Rania and former Queen Noor, now Mrs. ________. Nope. Don't think she'll go there.

Oh, I don't doubt that she *said* that; I just don't believe it's true. I mean how many children really don't want their parents to be happy, and how many adults would listen to their children in this type of situation?
Ask the thousands of children with divorced or deceased parents......Many, many of them do not want their parents to remarry. Selfish yes but I've seen too many situations (KH is a great example) where the kids suddenly are presented with a new "parent" and things change. And usually not for the better. I read a study and have seen myself older children are particularly viscious as they worry about changes in wills, resent the "replacement," and know just how to press the buttons of their biological parent to create conflict in the new marriage. Sad but true.

Last edited by a moderator:
At any rate, she isn't cashing in on her role I don't think.

Another question: Does anyone think that Queen Noor might not care much for her title, and should Abdullah decide to strip her of her Queen-ly title, it wouldn't matter too much to her?
You're welcome, Genevieve! :flower:

I agree with you that QN isn't cashing in on her role but, at the same time, she isn't really that marketable. With speeches, for example, she cannot command $1 million per pop because most/much of her power and status are derived from her marriage. Now that her husband is dead, and there's another king and queen of Jordan, her day has passed. I doubt if, even in her peak, she could have commanded the fees of a leader of a major country, if only because she was not the leader but the spouse of a leader, and then of a small, impoverished country.

You pose an interesting question about the title. I happen to think it'd be devastating to her not to have even that any more. She has derived all of her fame and most of her power from that title. Without it, who would she be? It has opened doors for her (and continues to do so). I think she'd be lost without it. At the same time, I appreciate that it can probably be a burden for her in some situations. For example, she has expressed an interest in working for the United Nations, but not as a representative of Jordan or as the spouse of a former head of state. With the title of Queen of Jordan, that's asking a lot. People automatically associate her with her country and her husband and don't really see her as an autonomous, independent working woman. So, sure, I bet there are instances in which she'd love to dump the title, but not permanently, just when it suits her purpose. [/b][/quote]
Oh, it would matter. On Larry King, he broached the subject "so are you still Queen?" She visibly flinched and then said very quietly but seriously "My title was a gift from my husband and there is no contradiction having 2 queens. I am Queen Noor, the widow of King Hussein, and Queen Rania is the wife of King Abdullah, the present monarch. It is not customary I should lose that title." It matters......

I think Q Noor still has a title because surely King Hussein must have secured it for her before his death - by making his hopes known to KA. But as far as her jetsetting lifestyle and being a spender.. I have seen QN wear the same clothes over and over and over again.. she has one dress that she's worn so many times - it's really hard to believe she's that into couture. KHussein must have left her very well off - because remember - every royal has a bank account either in the US or in Switzerland that no one but them knows about.. also I think Queen Noor was smart enough to have all business affairs in order before the king's death because when the king first became terribly ill - Hassan was still CP and she knew that if he ever became King - she'd have to leave the country.. so it's doubtful she's got only a little bit of money..
I think though that KA is not aware of the exact figures as I think that if he knew she had major funds - he'd want to get his chubby hands on it.. such as the rumors of the investigation launched by him into her finances..

I think Queen Noor is liked in the US.. she's really articulate, intelligent and pretty.. and for a Nation that doesn't have royalty - it's pretty cool to see an American born woman who became a Queen... so she is in high demand for several events - especially charities involved with raising awareness and funds for cancer..

QN's kids are old enough and living their own lives.. she's smarter to just have her companion.. I do think her life is now her kids and her charity work.. I mean - she gave over 2 decades to King Hussein and after his death - her family is her kids..

Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 12:33 am
I think Queen Noor is liked in the US.. she's really articulate, intelligent and pretty.. and for a Nation that doesn't have royalty - it's pretty cool to see an American born woman who became a Queen.
I'm afraid I disagree with you on this point, QueenB. I think she's a bit controversial. And as much as Americans love celebrity, she is not a major one. I think many Americans are ambivalent about royalty, see it as a curious thing, but an archaic notion. Remember, we are a nation founded by people who fled all that in England, and many of our immigrants left countries where autocratic rulers made their lives miserable. So I don't think QN is necessarily popular in the US.

I wouldn't say she's popular, but she is not considered controversial. If anything she is considered a bit glamorous.

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 10:50 am
I wouldn't say she's popular, but she is not considered controversial. If anything she is considered a bit glamorous.
I think she is controversial among women of her generation, who simply can't for the life of them understand her life's choices. And she hasn't been able to explain them very well in interviews, so there are questions among many women.

I'm afraid I disagree with you on this point, QueenB. I think she's a bit controversial. And as much as Americans love celebrity, she is not a major one. I think many Americans are ambivalent about royalty, see it as a curious thing, but an archaic notion. Remember, we are a nation founded by people who fled all that in England, and many of our immigrants left countries where autocratic rulers made their lives miserable. So I don't think QN is necessarily popular in the US.
Queen Noor, in my opinion, is very popular in certain circles, but I wouldn't say that she is so nationally. Let's remember that most Americans do view royalty as being quite archaic and there are literally millions of Americans who have no idea that there is even a monarchy in Jordan. I spoke to someone a few days ago who had no idea that Norway, Denmark, and Sweden were functioning monarchies and the U.S. has major Scandinavian ties, especially culturally. :wacko:

Queen Noor is very well known by certain people and certain organizations as well are very aware of her presence. For instance, in Washington D.C. she is very well known as well as in many circles in California, New York, and some places in the Southern portion of the U.S.

I don't view her as a major celebrity myself, but those who have met her (even major celebrities and media people appear to really like her and have positive things to say about her.

I also don't view her has being controversial. When she first married King Hussein and the role that she took, perhaps then was very controversial (especially in Jordan), but now I feel as though most who are aware of Queen Noor's life and her background are accustomed to her and she really isn't someone with radical ideas that would cause much controversy to me.

Originally posted by Gigi@Jul 22nd, 2004 - 11:19 am
she really isn't someone with radical ideas that would cause much controversy to me.
No, not controversial in that sense. But controversial in her choices. For just one example, even by her own accounts, she was a middle class, independent American girl with feminist leanings coming of age in the 1960s. So the choice to run off and, with only a six-week courtship, marry a leader/dictator of a small, Middle Eastern country, move to the other side of the world, change religions, change names, change her way of dressing and behaving. . .well, these aren't exactly choices that are easily understandable to women of her generation who grew up with the same influences as her and made completely different choices. That's what I mean by controversial, not that she believes in Martians or wants to have children in her 60s.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you.. because whenever she's mentioned in the press here - there's certainly a fascination with her.. she's by no means a huge celebrity - not even Q Rania with all her hyped up publicity - isn't a huge celebrity.. Qnoor is controversial more for the fact that many people wonder why she would marry and move to the ME..

Here's what i think!!! I think that Queen Noor is very lonely, why? She lost the 'love of her life' when King Hussein died. I'm not sure how close she is to Queen Rania, but i guess she's looking for a role in life. It must be hard for her now, i read the Washington Post interview, which linked her to someone new. IN it they said that she only goes back to Jordan once a month.

What is her role there? Is she popular there?

I've heard that she was not that popular in Jordan, because she was an American and non-muslim.

I think she should remarry, it wouldn't make her any more unpopular. She's young - she SHOULD GO FOR IT!!!!

I just can't see her remarrying......I don't know why; just gut instinct. More and more people who've had their kids and are on their own, don't remarry but do live together as it makes financial matters easier and in Noor's case, would not jeopordize her role as "Queen," widow of Hussein, which does give her a particular cache and entre with the "beautiful people," Jordianians and also means she will forever be known as a Queen.....that would be hard to give up.

I think Queen Noor had such an intense relationship with King Hussein (especially the latter few years with his cancer treatments and the escalating situation in regards to the struggle to achieve peace in the Middle East) that to imagine her loving anyone else enough to marry him or having feelings strong enough to take their relationship to that ultimate level is hard to fathom.

Amina said:
Here's what i think!!! I think that Queen Noor is very lonely, why? She lost the 'love of her life' when King Hussein died. I'm not sure how close she is to Queen Rania, but i guess she's looking for a role in life. It must be hard for her now, i read the Washington Post interview, which linked her to someone new. IN it they said that she only goes back to Jordan once a month.

What is her role there? Is she popular there?

I've heard that she was not that popular in Jordan, because she was an American and non-muslim.

I think she should remarry, it wouldn't make her any more unpopular. She's young - she SHOULD GO FOR IT!!!!

She's been seeing an executive here in the US for many yeras. she is not lonely. She will never remarry though as long as her son is Crown Prince.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom