Queen Noor's Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryshawn

Serene Highness
City
Green Bay
Country
United States
Queen Noor has rented a home on the Potomac and spends a lot of time there. Part of the reason she has spent so much time in the US is because her father was in very poor health and she wanted to be near him. Now that he has died, she seems to be traveling a lot on behalf of charities and her book tour has taken her all over the world. She also spends time in the US because at least one of her children is still in school here--and her friends and mother are here. I can't imagine her giving up her home in Amman. I did hear she sold their estate in England. And there are, of course, safety issues. I wouldn't want to be in Jordan right now as that chemical plot was just foiled and they seem to be a target for terrorists. Finally, she mentioned in an article in "People," she wants to give the new King and Queen "some time and space" and not be a distraction. So, there are many reasons why she is spending less time in Jordan. An amusing comment also from "People" was that, in America, she can go around after her exercise class with no makeup and a hat on and no one recognizes her. In Jordan, she would be expected to be much more "queenly" in her appearance. As her friend, Marion Freeman said, "when she became queen, she gave up a lot--including the right to a bad hair day." It must be nice to live with a bit more freedom as she can here.

Mary Shawn

Noor still maintains a home in Jordan. But she is the widow of the late sovereign. Rania is the consort of the reigning sovereign. Noor's role is different now. She still does an extraordinary amount of charity work, but it is more on an international level.

In a recent interview with Hello, she talked about her new role, and that Rania was the queen now.

Her siblings live in the US... it's natural that she feels more comfortable living close to them ...i bet she has no company in Jordan except her kids.
She probably feels like an alien there,now that her hubby is dead.

I think her kids would be enough company; I mean you always hear of parents moving closer to the kids and grandchildren--not to their siblings! But who is living in Jordan at this moment? I think they're all in school elsewhere, no?

Does she have any male friends beyond Jordan ?

I think she said she did, more or less, in an interview--but very subtly. Can you imagine her not having male suitors?

She's in what I would call an impossible position / role ..... I imagine with the press hounding her and the prominent role men play in the Arabian culture, and the status of her deceased husband .... she would have to be very delicate about the ardours of her suitors.

In videos and articles, others--not QN--said she had to give up her name, her religion and her US citizenship. Princess Grace had dual citizenship--Monaco and America--as do her children. As QN seems to be spending a great deal of time in her new rental home in Potomac, perhaps she too retained dual citizenship. I thought you could only spend a certain period of time here in the US if you were not a citizen--or perhaps as a royal she has preferential treatment and a special visa.....Does anyone know?

Also, I read she got rid of a lot of staff, which makes sense as she no longer is reigning Queen.....but who guards her when she is in America or outside of Jordan? Jordanian guards? The Secret Service? She must have some protection, I would think.

I re-read parts of her book this weekend and it said quite distinctly the big home called Buckhurst Park in England was "a gift from friends." Isn't that the one she sold? We all know she sold the home on the Potomac......so that leaves her with a rented home in the US, nothing in England (although they did have a house in London for awhile but I thought it was sold), Baab al Salaam in Amman. I still can't get an answer from anyone if their home in Aquaba, which she loved, became the King's automatically....if anyone knows, please write. I read her tiaras and some royal jewels remain the possession of the JRF.. She just seems to be living a restless life right now. Queen but with non of the perks. She admitted herself that the planes, the autos, and other things are not their's but exist to better serve the people......Once the book tour is over, then what does a woman in her early 50s and still quite lovely do? She can't remarry; who can compete with a King and she said "her children would strongly disapprove of even dating." She has a role with landmines and some cancer events but, with her children grown, it seems like she's looking down a long, lonely road.

Any thoughts or has she made any announcements of her plans?

I think that Noor herself was the one who said she would never again date. But if it was the children who don't want her to, then they need to get over themselves and stop minding her business. It would seem like they would rather her be old and lonely rather than old and happy. How selfish. I do wish her luck in whatever she chooses to pursue. She's a woman who could really make a positive difference in the world.

I *highly* doubt that her children don't want her to remarry. She certainly could, but what's the upside? I am sure she has a boyfriend already.

I would imagine at some future point that Noor *will* remarry. She's still comparitively young, and the idea of her being alone for another 30 years or more, seems pretty tragic. If her children do disapprove that strongly, I think that shows a lot of selfishness on their parts. I'm sure she's smart enough to realize she won't find "another" Hussein, but still..if she wanted to find someone. I'm all for it.

Queen Noor herself has indicated that she would never remarry. She once said something like " how can I settle for someone else when i've already had the best".

she may not remarry but she certainly is dating someone - James Kimsey....i don't know what he does but he is on several boards with her.

they're seen together often but refuse to take pictures together because QN is afraid people in jordan will get the wrong idea...but i've read several articles which report she is seriously seeing him and has been for a long time...

Here's a little about him--I think he compares favorably with the King:
http://www.kimseyfoundation.org/jameskimsey.htm

James V. Kimsey is a lifelong Washingtonian, born in the District of Columbia and raised in nearby Arlington, Virginia. He attended St. John’s College High School, graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point and studied at Georgetown University on an honors scholarship.

Kimsey is most widely known as the Founding CEO of America Online, Inc. (AOL). He transformed what began as Quantum Computer Services in 1985 into the nation’s leading independent provider of interactive online services to consumers, and the largest company ever started in Washington.

In 1996 he became AOL Chairman Emeritus and turned his energies to new challenges in business, philanthropy and personal diplomacy through the creation of the Kimsey Foundation ( www.kimseyfoundation.org ). While the foundation provides grants that benefit the community in areas from the arts to education, its overarching mission is to level the playing field for Washington's disadvantaged youth through education and technology.

Over the past 25 years, Jim has founded and served on the boards of a number of successful businesses, in a variety of disciplines, in the Washington , D.C. area. In 1994, he was named Business Leader of the Year by Washingtonian magazine. In 1998, he received KPMG Peat Marwick's High Tech Entrepreneur Award, the American Academy of Achievement's Golden Plate Award, and the first annual I Have A Dream award from the "I Have A Dream"' Foundation. In 1999 Jim received the Horatio Alger Award and a place in the Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame. In May of 2003, Jim received the first Kellogg Award for Distinguished Leadership from the Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University . He currently holds Presidential appointments to the West Point Board of Visitors and the Kennedy Center Board of Trustees.

Jim is also deeply engaged in international affairs. Jim has accompanied former President Clinton to Vietnam and in his position as Chairman of the Board of Refugees International he has visited Bosnia , Timbuktu and Cambodia to assess refugee repatriation, land mine removal and the other human rights concerns. In 2001 Jim was named Chairman of the International Commission of Missing Persons (ICMP) in Bosnia , by Secretary of State Colin Powell. The ICMP is an organization dedicated to identifying the more than 40,000 missing from the conflicts in the regions of the former Yugoslavia , through DNA research. Furthermore, Jim readily loaned ICMP DNA experts and analysts to help in the recovery process of those who perished in the Attack on America on September 11 th , 2001 . He most recently traveled to Iraq to assess the humanitarian situation left in the wake of Saddam Hussein's exile.

Jim served three combat tours as an airborne ranger, two in Vietnam , earning various awards for service and valor. Jim also built and staffed an orphanage in Vietnam after the completion of his first tour. He would continue to support that orphanage for three decades.

He is a member of the board of directors of several companies, including Capital One Financial Corporation and Thayer Capital. He also contributes his leadership to numerous civic and charitable organizations. He is Chairman of the Washington Opera, on the Executive Committee of the National Symphony and on the board of Georgetown University .

Jim has three grown sons, Mike, Mark and Ray. Currently, Jim resides in Mclean , Virginia .

I think Queen Noor is entitle to happiness and can date whomever she wants.

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jul 7th, 2004 - 3:09 pm
I *highly* doubt that her children don't want her to remarry. She certainly could, but what's the upside? I am sure she has a boyfriend already.
It was a direct quote from Noor in an article in People this spring......"No, I'm not dating; for one thing my children wouldn't approve of it."

I think she will watch and see how things go with her eldest son and his role as Crown Prince. Perhaps if Hamzah and his new wife become sufficiently popular and respected over time then Queen Noor might, if she met the right person, feel free to consider marriage. So many small things are used against her already I just don't think she'd make a major move at this point. She might feel perfectly satisfied with her existing relationship as it is without taking it to marriage.

It was a direct quote from Noor in an article in People this spring......"No, I'm not dating; for one thing my children wouldn't approve of it."
Oh, I don't doubt that she *said* that; I just don't believe it's true. I mean how many children really don't want their parents to be happy, and how many adults would listen to their children in this type of situation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would she bother saying it if she didn't mean it? It doesn't advance or serve her or her children in any way. I think she's being frank. It may also be true that they don't even like the man or know of things in his background that we don't.

As to children wanting their parents to be "happy", they are not children anymore. I also think that generalization about wanting parents to be happy is so flawed. Many people could care less who is happy beyong their own selves, and many people also in the public eye have other considerations beyond happiness. Happiness is an elusive luxury that not even the wealthy and powerful can always afford.

Of course it helps her! Her son is Crown Prince--do you think it would go over well if his mother married anyone, let alone a non-Jordanian?!

Oh, I don't doubt that she *said* that; I just don't believe it's true.
Agree with you, Bubbette. QN was already dating the much younger founder of MicroStrategy the year after KH's death. He went around bragging about it, and she soon dumped him. But she's long been linked with Jim Kimsey, and attends social functions with him, travels with him, hangs out with him with her birth family. She has to deny the pairing, even though they are often seen in each other's company, because it's an untenable position for her where people from the Middle East are concerned. She is trying to be discrete, which is probably wise of her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by maryshawn@Jul 4th, 2004 - 5:53 pm
I still can't get an answer from anyone if their home in Aquaba, which she loved, became the King's automatically....if anyone knows, please write.

Any thoughts or has she made any announcements of her plans?
Don't know about the house in Aqaba, but doesn't she still have a home in Kensington and also a home in Jackson, WY with her sister, Alexa?

Also, a few months ago now, there appeared a widely reprinted article from the "Washington Post" in which QN said she was in discussions with Kofi Annan to find a role for herself in the United Nations, albeit one in which she could act not in her capacity as Queen of Jordan, but as a person who is bicultural and who has something to offer the world in terms of bridging cultural differences between East and West. I've heard nothing further, but it seemed to me at the time that maybe Kofi Annan was just hearing her out, but couldn't really find something credible for her to do as simply Noor, human being (as opposed to QN, widow of a Middle Eastern head of state). As long as she's got that title, even if it is without much power, it would be pretty difficult for him to offer her a job and expect people to see her as someone without a pro-Jordanian agenda. But, it seems obvious to me, she's a woman searching for a purposeful role in life. At the moment, she seems more socialite than heavy hitter on the world stage. It's quite a come down for her.

I did hear that she still has her home in Aqaba, next door to the current king and queen's home..
If she were to remarry - wouldn't that give Abdullah premise to strip her of her Queen title?

Originally posted by QueenB@Jul 13th, 2004 - 6:58 pm
If she were to remarry - wouldn't that give Abdullah premise to strip her of her Queen title?
Is her proper title now Queen Dowager or something to that effect that would symbolize that she is a widow Queen? I think this is the case in Belgium with Fabiola and also Ingrid of Denmark and Elizabeth I of Great Britain.

Do you think that stripping Noor of her title would make any or much difference? I personally don't. I think for all intents and purposes, Noor's title of Queen is merely a courtesy title at this point. Either by choice or by private decree by Adbullah and Rania, Noor does not spend much time in Jordan, where being Queen of Jordan really matters. With the exception of her book and the subsequent book tour, Queen Noor does not seem to be "cashing in" on her former role otherwise whether through speeches (extensive and lucrative speeches such as former President Bill Clinton who has been reported to earn as much as $1 million per speech), fashion or jewellery designs under her label, perfume, or however else it is that celebrities are using their name to make them richer.

Also, I think that if Abudllah were to strip Noor of her Queen status and title, it would show the world how petty he really is. Anybody who would give the royal family money or bolster the prestige is well aware that Rania is Queen, not Noor. I don't think that that is ever confused in Jordan at present (not to my understanding of how Rania conducts herself anyway in how she flaunts her status). But as Abdullah and Rania both seem to be power hungry and seem to actively be diminishing Noor's role and presence in Jordan, I wouldn't put it past him to do this should she re-marry or do something else in her own life that might jeopardize his own status or affect the reputation of the Jordanian royal family.

Another question: What is the likelihood that Noor might marry does everyone think?

I personally don't believe that she will ever re-marry. I saw an interview with her once before King Hussein died, and then again after his death, in which she said that she could not imagine marrying anyone else when she had already had the best. But seeing as the Queen is still fairly young, I could see her having a male companion who might accompany her to some events or keep her company but not be recognized in any official capacity.

Originally posted by Genevieve@Jul 13th, 2004 - 6:13 pm
With the exception of her book and the subsequent book tour, Queen Noor does not seem to be "cashing in" on her former role otherwise whether through speeches (extensive and lucrative speeches such as former President Bill Clinton who has been reported to earn as much as $1 million per speech), fashion or jewellery designs under her label, perfume, or however else it is that celebrities are using their name to make them richer.
But she donated the proceeds from her book to the King Hussein Foundation, so she didn't really even cash in on that. She is, however, on the roster of a speakers' bureau that markets people to give paid speeches. Her rate is US$50,000+ per speech--I read somewhere else that it is US$60,000--though I think she still gives quite a few speeches without charging, just because they are to audiences that support her causes.

http://www.nationwidespeakers.com/speakers/queen_noor.html#

I think this is the case in Belgium with Fabiola and also Ingrid of Denmark and Elizabeth I of Great Britain.

This isn't the case in Belgium, while Queen Fabiola is a dowager it isn't a part of her title. :flower:

Originally posted by papillon@Jul 13th, 2004 - 8:14 pm
But she donated the proceeds from her book to the King Hussein Foundation, so she didn't really even cash in on that. She is, however, on the roster of a speakers' bureau that markets people to give paid speeches. Her rate is US$50,000+ per speech--I read somewhere else that it is US$60,000--though I think she still gives quite a few speeches without charging, just because they are to audiences that support her causes.

http://www.nationwidespeakers.com/speakers/queen_noor.html#
I wasn't aware of this information papillon; thanks for sharing it. While it seems then that Noor does earn some money from speeches and the like, she isn't earning a lot as she is not getting paid what Bill Clinton is, and in some cases she even waves her fee.

At any rate, she isn't cashing in on her role I don't think.

Another question: Does anyone think that Queen Noor might not care much for her title, and should Abdullah decide to strip her of her Queen-ly title, it wouldn't matter too much to her?

Plus ... Queen Noor probably has an inheritance from her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom