Queen Noor: Picture Thread 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably you are right, but you know that tje Jordanian Royal family is very large and big, so all of them can play a role in Jordan, and it would be nice if Queen Noor could do it.
Sol

Raiyah

Yes, it is! Thank you; larger photo helps but they are growing up so fast and their looks are changing......I get them confused. I can't decide who the girls most resemble--QN or KH? Hamzah definitely looks like his father at same age. But Iman and Raiyah....well, they are a real mix of both it seems to me. They're both very lovely young women. And I hope they continue to feel part of JRF and are fully accepted and are a happily included and want to be included in its events! Do you have an opinion re: who they resemble more? Thank you again for clarification.

Mary Shawn

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Actually, its Raiyah.
And its the wedding reception of Farah Daghistani

Maria Shriver history with QN Family

That is a great photo!!!! Loved it! There is a long history between Noor's family and the Kennedys. Her sister, Alexa, was one of Maria's bridesmaids and Noor's father worked for President Kennedy as head of FAA. He was so proud to be asked, he moved the family, took large paycut, and was enormously successful. The families enjoy a close, warm relationship. I wonder if any Kennedys attended the funeral of Najeeb Halaby, Noor's father. Hadn't heard but it was a fairly private affair I'm sure.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E said:
I thought so too,lol

I saw Queen Noor give a speech in Denver, Colorado in the US about a year ago. She was dressed very elegantly in a black suit and looked beautiful. She's also a wonderful and magnetic speaker with a good sense of humor; after the speech she took some audience questions and some of her answers were very witty.

Lisa Halaby 's family

Noor of Jordan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from Lisa Halaby)
Her Majesty Queen Noor (born August 23, 1951) is the fourth wife and widow of the late King Hussein of Jordan (1935-1999). She is an American of Arab, Swedish, Scottish, and English descent.

Queen Noor was born Elizabeth Najeeb Halaby the daughter of Najeeb Elias Halaby (1915-2003), a former CEO of Pan-American World Airways, one time head of the Federal Aviation Administration, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, and his first wife, Doris Carlquist. She has a younger brother, Christian Halaby, a composer and guitarist, and a younger sister, Alexa Halaby (a University of Pennsylvania squash champion who was a bridesmaid at the 1986 wedding of Maria Owings Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger). She was born in Washington, DC.

Queen Noor's paternal grandfather, Najeeb Elias Halaby (1878-1928), a Syrian immigrant of Lebanese descent, was an oil broker, according to 1920 census records. Retail panjandrum Stanley Marcus, however, recalled that in the early 1920s, Halaby opened Halaby Galleries, a rug boutique and interior-decorating shop, at Neiman-Marcus in Dallas, Texas, and ran it with his Texas-born wife, Laura Wilkins (1889-1987, later Mrs. Urban B. Koen).

Lisa Halaby was raised and educated in the United States, graduating from Princeton University in 1974. An architect-planner by training, she met King Hussein while working in Jordan on the development of the Amman Intercontinental Airport. They married on June 15, 1978. In a New York Times article (May 19, 1978) about the couple's forthcoming wedding, a friend of the bride described her as "a darling, healthy, sunburned, tennis-playing, All-American girl, but she is very sophisticated. I can't see her marrying the average boy." Halaby converted to Islam, and before the marriage took place, her first name was changed from Elizabeth to Noor, an Arabic word meaning Light.

She is not the Queen Mother of Jordan, being King Abdullah II's stepmother, but no apparent titular distinction has been made between Queen Noor and Abdullah's wife, Queen Rania.

Queen Noor and King Hussein had four children:
  1. Prince Hamzah (born March 29, 1980)
  2. Prince Hashim (born June 10, 1981)
  3. Princess Iman (born April 24, 1983)
  4. Princess Raiyah (born February 9, 1986)
In 2003, Queen Noor published a memoir, Leap of Faith, which became a bestseller.

[edit]

External links

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noor_of_Jordan"
Categories: 1951 births

Last edited:
maryshawn said:
She also is wearing a gift, reportedly from one of her stepchildren, and it is called "Hands of Allah" or something like that. "Allah" was definitely in the name of the piece. Does anyone know what it is?
Allah means God in arabic I think the word "Allah" is written on that peace, that is common thing to wear in Jordan.

NHF Store

Still in process of putting online. Hopefully, up and running soon.

maryshawn said:
Sorry for delay in responding. Why? I don't know. Perhaps Hamzah has a different home now......I have heard so many different things--she's staying at Ba'ab al Salaam, not staying,.....I don't honestly know which is correct, if Ali has home now or what. I don't even know how much time she spends in Jordan now. Rather sad as she always referred to it as "my only home."
Someone posted that Prince Ali and Princess Rym moved into the house that KA and QR previously lived in. Don't know how true that is though.

maryshawn said:
Yes, it is! Thank you; larger photo helps but they are growing up so fast and their looks are changing......I get them confused. I can't decide who the girls most resemble--QN or KH? Hamzah definitely looks like his father at same age. But Iman and Raiyah....well, they are a real mix of both it seems to me. They're both very lovely young women. And I hope they continue to feel part of JRF and are fully accepted and are a happily included and want to be included in its events! Do you have an opinion re: who they resemble more? Thank you again for clarification.

Mary Shawn
you're welcome.
I think Princess Iman resembles Queen Noor the most. If you compare Queen Noor's pics as a teen to that of Iman, the resemblance is there.
As for Raiyah, I cant decide. She looks most like herself I suppose.

Attachments

• a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 6,732
  • a13.jpg
    a13.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,445
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,399
Ali and Noor Meeting

That's too bad that their relationship has gotten to such a place....... I have since learned Ali had been talking about the 2nd home at Ba'ab al Salaam built for the children originally. It is QN's home but was also his dad's. He might have felt it would be nice to be close to place his father loved to live and just wanted that opportunity. Pure speculation on my part here. QN, in her book, seems to blame the elder children on tainting Ali, Haya and Abir--or trying to--with some degree of success. Forever the optimist, I still hope one day differences can be mended and QN enjoys better relationship with Ali and Haya (seems to be fine with Abir).....one can always hope....
tipper said:
Mary, from what I heard she means to keep her home to herself and her daughters plus Hashim, who's not married , yet- that House has so loving and important remembrances to her, she would never give it to any1, let alone to Ali- I heard some1 arranged a meeting btw Noor and ali, last Spring 2003, in Washington or NY, can't rember where- Ali showed up, they talked a while, but they just came to nothing, I guess they can't ever agree about so many issues such as money , houses etc. and feelings , of course, I'm afraid it's impossible for the 2 of them to forget the past and start it over-

Ali's Home?

Well, it would make sense as it was a lovely home; not particularly grand but very, very nice inside and out--and it was vacant.....
sommone said:
Someone posted that Prince Ali and Princess Rym moved into the house that KA and QR previously lived in. Don't know how true that is though.

By the way, I give QN a LOT of credit from going from a very shy girl/young woman into a dynamic public speaker. I read perhaps in this forum she is still not much of a "socializer" with people she doesn't know and tries to blend into the woodwork--giving her a reputation for being snobby--but I think she may retain some of that shy streak in 1-1 situations. I would hate it if every word I said, the way I ate or conducted myseld could end up in a gossip column!!!! Wouldn't you?

Seeing Images

Hi! I can get into getty images by clicking on these links, then seeing access denied and clicking again and entering QN as topic but how do I get to these photos in particular? If you can provide any help, I'd appreciate it! Mary Shawn
ap3 said:

Noor: Staff for Former King's Consort?

When KH was alive, a Washingtonian article listed a variety of staff: waiters, maids, housekeeper, masseure on call 24 hours/day, personal hairdresser for QN, 2 personal "dressers" for QN, several chefs so there would always be one available 24 hours a day, security (a given, I suppose), KH's own "dresser" or whatever they call the man who maintains a gentleman's wardrobe, chauffeurs, nannies, and a chief of staff to run what was essentially, in his description, a "small, elegant hotel." In recent interviews, QN is brewing her own cup of tea, 1 personal assistant helps her.....and that's all that is mentioned. I wonder how much she cut back on staff once KH died and what kind of help she has now. She does have an excellent personal assistant but she used to have a "staff" at her office. Just curious.......
I've GOT to quote some pieces from that article; it was so interesting and unlike photos, I can just type it! Yeah!!!!!

I'm Losing It.....Help Finding Threads....

I could've sworn there was a thread on Noor leading with photos of her with Larry King. Can't find it 'tho thought I saw it 2 days ago. Also, thought I saw her sporting some jewelry with a leather like tie......no luck there either. I DID find photos of her wearing her pendant under the Jewelry Forum. It is really lovely.

If anyone has any info, please let me know. Thanks....I love Noor but if I look at 1 more photo, I will lose it totally!!!!!

Do it!!

maryshawn said:
When KH was alive, a Washingtonian article listed a variety of staff: waiters, maids, housekeeper, masseure on call 24 hours/day, personal hairdresser for QN, 2 personal "dressers" for QN, several chefs so there would always be one available 24 hours a day, security (a given, I suppose), KH's own "dresser" or whatever they call the man who maintains a gentleman's wardrobe, chauffeurs, nannies, and a chief of staff to run what was essentially, in his description, a "small, elegant hotel." In recent interviews, QN is brewing her own cup of tea, 1 personal assistant helps her.....and that's all that is mentioned. I wonder how much she cut back on staff once KH died and what kind of help she has now. She does have an excellent personal assistant but she used to have a "staff" at her office. Just curious.......
I've GOT to quote some pieces from that article; it was so interesting and unlike photos, I can just type it! Yeah!!!!!
o
It would be marvellous to share with all of us this articles and pictures!! Do it soon!!

I did! It took a bit but it's posted now on the forum. Hope you enjoy it! Mary Shawn

Now for those darn photos......Monday. I am going to do it somehow Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sol_anglada said:
o
It would be marvellous to share with all of us this articles and pictures!! Do it soon!!

To Mary

maryshawn said:
I did! It took a bit but it's posted now on the forum. Hope you enjoy it! Mary Shawn

Now for those darn photos......Monday. I am going to do it somehow Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mary,

In wich forum have you posted it? Thanks!!
Sol

One More Article--Short on KH and QN

From article written in Sept. 85:

If you can bear it, a few more insights on life in Amman with KH and QN:

"Like Buckingham Palace, Basman Palace is in the heart of a capital city. But the palace in Amman is heavily guarded by soldiers in green fatigues toting submachine guns. In total contrast, a brightly painted playhouse sits at the back of the palace, along with 2 tricycles and a blue and gold Raleigh racer. With children around, even a palace cannot remain austere. In all, the King has 11 children. He and QN have 3 and there are 3 more from the King's previous marrriage. The King clearly dotes on his offspring. A Western diplomat who knows the family well says he has never seen a father lavish as much unrestrained affection on his children."

"The King and Queen are known for being accessible to the people, and this is confirmed by the location of the palace atop one of Amman's seven hills, with another hilltop just across the way littered with little flat-roofed houses. You can see people moving in and out of them, going about their daily lives. But an American friend of Noor's was struck by the couples' dangerous proximity to the masses: "They are so exposed, so vulnerable," she said after a visit."

"Noor left her job at the Royal Jordanian Airlines and traded in her briefcase for a tiara, which she wears only when circumstances require--"and you never see my husband wearing a crown," she notes. If she had a busy schedule before, it is now positively jammed. Yet she carries out her duties of often 12 hour days with true enthusiasm. At a graduation ceremony, I watched her as she shook 350 hands and said "Mabrouk" (congratulations). Never once did the warm smile fade from her face. This is a woman who drives herself relentlessly, and expects the same of her staff who think nothing of a 12 hour day."

"Like any wife of an older man with a high-pressure job, Noor looks after her spouse's health. Off-limits are most Arab delicacies, which are delicious but packed with animal fat. Noor encourages her husband in his skiing and other activities to distract him from his many pressures and tensions."

"Lately, however, there has been little time for recreation. Noor does Jane Fonda type aerobics in her bedroom with a girlfriend. The palace is too crowded for a workout area but the "lived in" feeling gives it an air of informality. The Queen was asked about rumors of a rift in the marriage. "Did she and the King sleep in separate quarters?" She chortled, then laughed at the very idea of "quarters." "We sleep in bedrooms," she says and the master bedroom where she does her aerobics also has an exercise bike for the King."

"When asked if she and the King had time for the two of them to just relax, the Queen looks wistful and says "We have breakfast together and dinner. Apart from that, no. Oh, on occasion, we'll take a car around town and just observe. Or sometimes we'll go outside town on the pretty country roads. We often talk about horses and the desert and taking the children there, if we had more time."

"A typical day begins with 'a great many phone calls then hours of meetings and events and ends with Noor reading bedtime stories "sitting in the middle of our bed surrounded by our six small children."

Some on this thread; some under "King and I." thread. I have more to post but need technical help of friend and with the holidays, it is hard to get his help......I wish I was more technically savvy!!!!!!
sol_anglada said:
Mary,

In wich forum have you posted it? Thanks!!
Sol

Old/Recent pictures of QN.

Attachments

• QN-1.jpg
    QN-1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 249
  • QN-2.jpg
    QN-2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 289
  • QN-3.jpg
    QN-3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 341
  • QN-4.jpg
    QN-4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,294
  • QN-5.jpg
    QN-5.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 351
  • QN-6.jpg
    QN-6.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 294
  • QN-7.jpg
    QN-7.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 305
  • QN-9.jpg
    QN-9.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 415
  • QN-8.jpg
    QN-8.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,151
100 Most Powerful Women 2004

Forbes 2004 rank of 100 most powerful women, shows Queen Rania is ranked 13, and Queen Noor 83.

Queen Noor
R3X2.jpg

Dowager Queen of Jordan

Few other queens have dedicated their lives to such an enormous array of humanitarian, education and environmental causes as the former Queen of Jordan. Her charity work spans landmine eradication and environmental conservation as well as women's and children's rights. The ever-gracious and elegant Queen Noor, 52, is also an active board member of the World Wildlife Fund International, United World Colleges and Seeds of Peace. The American-born Lisa Najeeb Halaby continues to be a vocal advocate for peace between Israel and the Arab world, as was her late husband, King Hussein.-D.B.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/results.jhtml?passListId=11&passYear=2004&passListType=Person&searchParameter1=unset&searchParameter2=unset&resultsHowMany=25&resultsSortProperties=%2Bstringfield11%2C%2Bnumberfield1&resultsSortCategoryName=Country&fromColumnClick=&bktDisplayField=stringfield11&bktDisplayFieldLength=2&category1=category&category2=category&passKeyword=&resultsStart=1http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists...ListType=Person&uniqueId=R3X2&datatype=Person

83?

abir said:
Forbes 2004 rank of 100 most powerful women, shows Queen Rania is ranked 13, and Queen Noor 83.

Queen Noor

Dowager Queen of Jordan

Few other queens have dedicated their lives to such an enormous array of humanitarian, education and environmental causes as the former Queen of Jordan. Her charity work spans landmine eradication and environmental conservation as well as women's and children's rights. The ever-gracious and elegant Queen Noor, 52, is also an active board member of the World Wildlife Fund International, United World Colleges and Seeds of Peace. The American-born Lisa Najeeb Halaby continues to be a vocal advocate for peace between Israel and the Arab world, as was her late husband, King Hussein.-D.B.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/results.jhtml?passListId=11&passYear=2004&passListType=Person&searchParameter1=unset&searchParameter2=unset&resultsHowMany=25&resultsSortProperties=%2Bstringfield11%2C%2Bnumberfield1&resultsSortCategoryName=Country&fromColumnClick=&bktDisplayField=stringfield11&bktDisplayFieldLength=2&category1=category&category2=category&passKeyword=&resultsStart=1
I don't know if she deserves to be classified in this position, it doesn't matter, the important thing is that she continues her important work in charity, mines, women rights, children .... do it, Majesty!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• babyiman.jpg
    babyiman.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,363
  • babyprch.jpg
    babyprch.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,811
  • faisal.jpg
    faisal.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,468
  • hayanali.jpg
    hayanali.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,714
  • abdullah.jpg
    abdullah.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 4,596
  • hmqgardn.jpg
    hmqgardn.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,407
  • iman.jpg
    iman.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,501
  • imanhor1.jpg
    imanhor1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 1,220
  • raiyah.jpg
    raiyah.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,331
  • QN-family.jpg
    QN-family.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 7,339
Queen Noor: Who Was She Referring To?

In an article by Lesley Bennetts, Noor says "the only input I gave to my husband regarding succession was that I would fully support whomever He chose--regardless of how they felt about me."

We have had some interesting discussions on the succession and its latest twist. I have learned Prince Hassan and his wife, Sarvath, were not the monsters they have been portrayed to be. I have also learned--by Noor's own account--a number of her step-children are not particularly close and made her marriage a challenging one. She has said she has a close relationship with Abdullah......but one wonders who she was referring to in this comment.

Any ideas?

I would assume she was referring to either KA or Prince Ali, since those were the two who were probably being considered besides Hamzah. I think by this point she realized that Prince Hassan will not be King, so I doubt she was referring to him.

maryshawn said:
In an article by Lesley Bennetts, Noor says "the only input I gave to my husband regarding succession was that I would fully support whomever He chose--regardless of how they felt about me."

We have had some interesting discussions on the succession and its latest twist. I have learned Prince Hassan and his wife, Sarvath, were not the monsters they have been portrayed to be. I have also learned--by Noor's own account--a number of her step-children are not particularly close and made her marriage a challenging one. She has said she has a close relationship with Abdullah......but one wonders who she was referring to in this comment.

Any ideas?
Well, if she says she has a close relationship with Abdullah, then I believe it's PA. I'm sure we can assume the step-children she was talking about were QA's children, but it could be other step-children as well. I think that after all those years, there was still some issues between QN and QA's kids. Probably never really came to terms with losing their mother, and then resenting that their father remarried so quickly to someone else. Who knows...one can only guess.

Page Six reported that Qn and one of her daughters was skiing in Aspen this past week.

sommone said:
Well, if she says she has a close relationship with Abdullah, then I believe it's PA. I'm sure we can assume the step-children she was talking about were QA's children, but it could be other step-children as well. I think that after all those years, there was still some issues between QN and QA's kids. Probably never really came to terms with losing their mother, and then resenting that their father remarried so quickly to someone else. Who knows...one can only guess.[/QUOTE
i dont think she have a good relationship with PA +pH I mean its so obvious how can PH not invite her to her wedding this is big i think PA is effected to by the idea that QN took their mother's place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom