The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 02:53 AM
Aristocracy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
Lovely photos. The last is of entire family at Queen Zein's for a get-together. Noor is discernable w kids in some. I didn't know Christmas was celebrated either in Arabic culture....or perhaps they happened to be visiting a place where it was being celebrated--hence, the background.

Thanks for sharing!
Mary, look at the" King holds reception" pic- who's getting married ? Is it Iman or Raiyah next to Aisha ?

Old 12-09-2004, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

More pictures from the women's conference
I love the navy blue on her!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a copy.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	62944   Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	62945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1c.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	62946   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	62947  

Name:	2b.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	62948   Click image for larger version

Name:	2copy.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	62949   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 copy.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	62950   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	62951  

Old 12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper
some more pix-
Thanks for the pics hun,they are amazing.
My aunts house and smtimes us here at home celebrate x-mas,It smthing fun to do..A tree and all...plus hat here in Irbid and I think in Amman as well, u can see Santa clauses everywhere it's smthing nice to see ...I love x-mas,when I was a 12 years old,my family thru me a surprize b-day party and got santa clause for me,everyone was shocked cuz we celebrated x-mas though we are muslims,i dun see anything wrong with a tree and a few gifts :P
Old 12-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Beautiful pictures!
Btw..I bet Maria Shriver's breaking quite a few protocols by choking a Queen to death
I thought so too,lol
Old 12-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Nobility

I found this old picture of QN during P. Alexia of Greece wedding. She was very happy :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0000356420-025.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	63283  
Old 12-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Nobility

Queen Noor

It's nice to see that Her Majesty seems to be not affected by the decision taen by the King of Jordan to dismiss her son as a Crown Prince. Queen Noor is doing an important job and the only sad thing is that she spends more time out than inside of the country that converted her in a Queen.

Sol
Old 12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol_anglada
It's nice to see that Her Majesty seems to be not affected by the decision taen by the King of Jordan to dismiss her son as a Crown Prince. Queen Noor is doing an important job and the only sad thing is that she spends more time out than inside of the country that converted her in a Queen.

Sol
I agree with you, but I beleive QN prefers to be outside of Jordan to do her activities than to be in Jordan without doing anything. You know it's KA and QR who decide "who should do what", specialy social work. KA and QR work hard to show to people that it's them who think of jordanian people and not QN or someone else. So I guess it's not in the hands of QN if she doesn't spend more time in Jordan.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:31 AM
Serene Highness

What is name of other piece she wears? Hands of Allah?

She also is wearing a gift, reportedly from one of her stepchildren, and it is called "Hands of Allah" or something like that. "Allah" was definitely in the name of the piece. Does anyone know what it is?

Quote:
Interesting photos.....and question. I noticed she was not wearing her blue evil eye bracelet she often wore (will try and post) for several years. This pendant is a new thing I think.

She is clearly fascinated by evil eye jewelry though.

I would like to know why she does not wear her wedding rings anymore. She always wears a ring on her pinky finger but that's it. Have long wondered about significance of that ring.

Anyone have answers?

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Serene Highness

Iman or Raiyah

It looks a lot like Iman but those girls are growing up so fast.....and I've not seen a lot of them recently but my guess is Iman. Wish I could be more precise......She's very close to KA......I think she thinks of him as a father type so her being there would make sense......
Quote:
Mary, look at the" King holds reception" pic- who's getting married ? Is it Iman or Raiyah next to Aisha ?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It looks a lot like Iman but those girls are growing up so fast.....and I've not seen a lot of them recently but my guess is Iman. Wish I could be more precise......She's very close to KA......I think she thinks of him as a father type so her being there would make sense......
Actually, its Raiyah.
And its the wedding reception of Farah Daghistani
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Nobility

Probably you are right, but you know that tje Jordanian Royal family is very large and big, so all of them can play a role in Jordan, and it would be nice if Queen Noor could do it.
Sol
Old 12-12-2004, 04:22 AM
Serene Highness

Raiyah

Yes, it is! Thank you; larger photo helps but they are growing up so fast and their looks are changing......I get them confused. I can't decide who the girls most resemble--QN or KH? Hamzah definitely looks like his father at same age. But Iman and Raiyah....well, they are a real mix of both it seems to me. They're both very lovely young women. And I hope they continue to feel part of JRF and are fully accepted and are a happily included and want to be included in its events! Do you have an opinion re: who they resemble more? Thank you again for clarification.

Mary Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
Actually, its Raiyah.
And its the wedding reception of Farah Daghistani
Old 12-12-2004, 04:27 AM
Serene Highness

Maria Shriver history with QN Family

That is a great photo!!!! Loved it! There is a long history between Noor's family and the Kennedys. Her sister, Alexa, was one of Maria's bridesmaids and Noor's father worked for President Kennedy as head of FAA. He was so proud to be asked, he moved the family, took large paycut, and was enormously successful. The families enjoy a close, warm relationship. I wonder if any Kennedys attended the funeral of Najeeb Halaby, Noor's father. Hadn't heard but it was a fairly private affair I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-R-O-U-B-L-E
I thought so too,lol
Old 12-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Nobility

I saw Queen Noor give a speech in Denver, Colorado in the US about a year ago. She was dressed very elegantly in a black suit and looked beautiful. She's also a wonderful and magnetic speaker with a good sense of humor; after the speech she took some audience questions and some of her answers were very witty.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Aristocracy

Lisa Halaby 's family

Noor of Jordan

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Redirected from Lisa Halaby)
Her Majesty Queen Noor (born August 23, 1951) is the fourth wife and widow of the late King Hussein of Jordan (1935-1999). She is an American of Arab, Swedish, Scottish, and English descent.

Queen Noor was born Elizabeth Najeeb Halaby the daughter of Najeeb Elias Halaby (1915-2003), a former CEO of Pan-American World Airways, one time head of the Federal Aviation Administration, and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense, and his first wife, Doris Carlquist. She has a younger brother, Christian Halaby, a composer and guitarist, and a younger sister, Alexa Halaby (a University of Pennsylvania squash champion who was a bridesmaid at the 1986 wedding of Maria Owings Shriver and Arnold Schwarzenegger). She was born in Washington, DC.

Queen Noor's paternal grandfather, Najeeb Elias Halaby (1878-1928), a Syrian immigrant of Lebanese descent, was an oil broker, according to 1920 census records. Retail panjandrum Stanley Marcus, however, recalled that in the early 1920s, Halaby opened Halaby Galleries, a rug boutique and interior-decorating shop, at Neiman-Marcus in Dallas, Texas, and ran it with his Texas-born wife, Laura Wilkins (1889-1987, later Mrs. Urban B. Koen).

Lisa Halaby was raised and educated in the United States, graduating from Princeton University in 1974. An architect-planner by training, she met King Hussein while working in Jordan on the development of the Amman Intercontinental Airport. They married on June 15, 1978. In a New York Times article (May 19, 1978) about the couple's forthcoming wedding, a friend of the bride described her as "a darling, healthy, sunburned, tennis-playing, All-American girl, but she is very sophisticated. I can't see her marrying the average boy." Halaby converted to Islam, and before the marriage took place, her first name was changed from Elizabeth to Noor, an Arabic word meaning Light.

She is not the Queen Mother of Jordan, being King Abdullah II's stepmother, but no apparent titular distinction has been made between Queen Noor and Abdullah's wife, Queen Rania.

Queen Noor and King Hussein had four children:
  1. Prince Hamzah (born March 29, 1980)
  2. Prince Hashim (born June 10, 1981)
  3. Princess Iman (born April 24, 1983)
  4. Princess Raiyah (born February 9, 1986)
In 2003, Queen Noor published a memoir, Leap of Faith, which became a bestseller.

[edit]

External links
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noor_of_Jordan"
Categories: 1951 births
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
She also is wearing a gift, reportedly from one of her stepchildren, and it is called "Hands of Allah" or something like that. "Allah" was definitely in the name of the piece. Does anyone know what it is?
Allah means God in arabic I think the word "Allah" is written on that peace, that is common thing to wear in Jordan.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:57 AM
Serene Highness

NHF Store

Still in process of putting online. Hopefully, up and running soon.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Sorry for delay in responding. Why? I don't know. Perhaps Hamzah has a different home now......I have heard so many different things--she's staying at Ba'ab al Salaam, not staying,.....I don't honestly know which is correct, if Ali has home now or what. I don't even know how much time she spends in Jordan now. Rather sad as she always referred to it as "my only home."
Someone posted that Prince Ali and Princess Rym moved into the house that KA and QR previously lived in. Don't know how true that is though.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, it is! Thank you; larger photo helps but they are growing up so fast and their looks are changing......I get them confused. I can't decide who the girls most resemble--QN or KH? Hamzah definitely looks like his father at same age. But Iman and Raiyah....well, they are a real mix of both it seems to me. They're both very lovely young women. And I hope they continue to feel part of JRF and are fully accepted and are a happily included and want to be included in its events! Do you have an opinion re: who they resemble more? Thank you again for clarification.

Mary Shawn
you're welcome.
I think Princess Iman resembles Queen Noor the most. If you compare Queen Noor's pics as a teen to that of Iman, the resemblance is there.
As for Raiyah, I cant decide. She looks most like herself I suppose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	68395   Click image for larger version

Name:	a10.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	68396   Click image for larger version

Name:	a13.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	68397  
Old 12-18-2004, 10:41 PM
Serene Highness

Ali and Noor Meeting

That's too bad that their relationship has gotten to such a place....... I have since learned Ali had been talking about the 2nd home at Ba'ab al Salaam built for the children originally. It is QN's home but was also his dad's. He might have felt it would be nice to be close to place his father loved to live and just wanted that opportunity. Pure speculation on my part here. QN, in her book, seems to blame the elder children on tainting Ali, Haya and Abir--or trying to--with some degree of success. Forever the optimist, I still hope one day differences can be mended and QN enjoys better relationship with Ali and Haya (seems to be fine with Abir).....one can always hope....
Quote:
Mary, from what I heard she means to keep her home to herself and her daughters plus Hashim, who's not married , yet- that House has so loving and important remembrances to her, she would never give it to any1, let alone to Ali- I heard some1 arranged a meeting btw Noor and ali, last Spring 2003, in Washington or NY, can't rember where- Ali showed up, they talked a while, but they just came to nothing, I guess they can't ever agree about so many issues such as money , houses etc. and feelings , of course, I'm afraid it's impossible for the 2 of them to forget the past and start it over-