The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

OK. My one "off topic" sentence: I thought Trudeau was exceptionally charismatic and felt terrible when I heard of the death of one of their sons and then his death.

Back on point. I think the point you make about thinking carefully before marrying the monarch of a country is a good one, Humera. I don't think QA thought this one through too well. It seems KH kind of swept her off her feet and got divorced and then married her a few days later. I think she "loved" him but didn't really consider what life would be like as his Queen. Margaret Trudeau was similarly--"impulsive?" Perhaps that isn't quite the right word but something along those lines; she didn't think it through either. And, in one another, they found people who shared their angst about the public, their positions, the fact their husbands had to work so hard and not devote time to creating a "storybook" marriage,...... QA and Margaret were romantics who became embittered when they ran up against the day to day pragmatic elements of their respective lives. Yes, spending any time you have away from your husband wailing and raging is hardly the way to live.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banadoora
It was the rolling stones.

You're absolutely right about Trudeau. He was very charismatic and a good PM. It would be nice to have a PM like him today, you're right.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Serene Highness

I just had another look at QA's site and it appears to have been updated with some new information. The crash which took the Queen's life occured within five minutes of landing and was attributed to "horrific weather and possible pilot error." I hadn't realized they were so close to Amman, nor that pilot error was ever raised as a contributing factor.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

I just re-read this, Humera, and went back and read Margaret Trudeau's book. She infers QA was eager to have a life like Margaret's in that she did go on those trips with celebrities. She quotes QA as saying she would love to "move to London and decorate her home in French provincial furniture--"far different than the taste lacking in my current home"--and "join the jet set." I think it must be difficult for young women to "choose" a royal life they were not raised to be part of and know well--and then find out its not all glamour and haute couture and hobnobbing with rock stars. Being a Queen, in particular, though I know other family members work hard, is grueling work. How did Princess Diana put it? "90% is sheer slog; 10% is fantastic." I look at the schedule of Queen Rania recently as an example. I don't envy the hours she's putting in: Pakistan trying to comfort so many, then off to Mecca, then back to help the poor in Jordan--all within days. Queen Alia, bless her, just seemed to be railing against all of the demands of royal life. She wanted to be at home with her husband and kids or apparently off rubbing elbows with the social elite. I don't think she was a slacker. She certainly did many very wonderful things as Queen--but it also doesn't seem she was loving the life she was leading all that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
in that way maybe those two had something in common. But otherwise Margaret seems to have been a different person. There was that incident where she was reported to have been partying with I think it was the rolling stones, or maybe some other band. I dont know much about her but she seemed to me to be more like a free spirit. Pierre Trudeau, I think, was a very different person, very intelligent, an intellectual, devoted to politics, but also very funny. Perhaps the only head of state/government to be chased after by a hoard of women as if he were bigger than the Beatles.
What I wouldnt give for Canada to have a PM like that today!
anyway...getting off-topic.
My point is. Maybe women like Alia and Margaret who prefer leading quiet lives should think twice before they marry Kings and Prime Ministers. There's no point in crying and screaming and being miserable after the fact. With men like King Hussien family doesnt always come first. Being in-charge of an entire nation is no small responsibility.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Commoner

Honour Killings

Does anyone know what steps Queen Alia took to prevent honour killings in Jordan?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Serene Highness

Good question, Savita! I'm really not sure but will look around to see if I can find an answer if she addressed this topic while Queen. If anyone else knows, I, too, would be interested in hearing more about this.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Nobility

I see so much of Queen Alia in Princess Haya. When I see the phots of QA, it makes me feel sad as it is easy to see the warmth and goodness in her - all gone to waste in a tragic accident. I don't think KH ever got over her death and the kids certainly didn't - maybe that is why PH married someone so much older but also stable, as she never had that before.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Gentry

Photos from QA's site, I've posted some before but they were taken from Haya's site, excuse any duplication. I just wish there were captions to know the people and the events of the photos.
I would like to thank Mary Shawn for encourging and provoking me to find a way to save pictures from QA's site:)
Copyrights:http://www.queenalia.org/QASite_content.html

Old 12-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Gentry

More photos.....

Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 AM
Gentry

From the Duty Album:
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Gentry

More from the Duty Album:
Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Courtier

Talking

She was truly a marvelous, sweet, dedicated Queen and mother and wife. I had never seen the one with Juan Carlos and Sofia with them before! Outstanding set of pictures.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

I have looked and looked and while, in general, Queen Alia is credited with promoting women's rights, I can find nothing where she talks about or takes a stance on honor killings. I think her foundations and Prince Ali's ride against them are her "living legacy" against them. If anyone knows/can find anything further, it would be interesting to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savita
Does anyone know what steps Queen Alia took to prevent honour killings in Jordan?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Courtier

you don't think that Q Alia was killed ?
And there does not come a moment when I do not look into the sky or indeed at anything beautiful and am not reminded of him whom I loved most in life and find a joy in the knowledge that .....he is finally reunited with Her whom I loved most
Old 02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Commoner

QA's Death Anniversary

I am sure it is the saddest day for PH & PA today. They must be thinking about her a lot.

My deepest condonlences to them and to Jordan for losing such a gracious, warm hearted and loving queen.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Queen Alia was the person who started off all the work with children and women in Jordan, also a lot of the healthcare stuff. She was a head of her time in the ME in some ways - every other Jordanian queen since has just trodden in her footsteps. (No disrespect to any of the other ladies meant)
Old 02-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Serene Highness

I've done a little more reading and research on Queen Alia's activities as Queen and you are indeed correct. She pioneered many efforts to help women and children's issues as well as health care issues. She died after going to Aqaba to investigate a complaint sent to her about a patient in a hospital there who wrote to her to tell her he was receiving inadequate treatment. Her helicopter crashed on the return flight to Amman after she had visited the hospital and the patients there.

I still find it uncanny and very sad for their children, Haya, Abir, and Ali that King Hussein died on Feb. 7th and Queen Alia on Feb. 9th. This must be a very difficult time of the year for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz70
Queen Alia was the person who started off all the work with children and women in Jordan, also a lot of the healthcare stuff. She was a head of her time in the ME in some ways - every other Jordanian queen since has just trodden in her footsteps. (No disrespect to any of the other ladies meant)
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Alia International Airport Naming

This may seem a silly question but was the airport named for Queen Alia after her death or before? I don't think I've ever heard one way or another. It's always been referred to in the articles I've read as the Queen Alia International Airport. Does anyone know? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
This may seem a silly question but was the airport named for Queen Alia after her death or before? I don't think I've ever heard one way or another. It's always been referred to in the articles I've read as the Queen Alia International Airport. Does anyone know? Thanks!
After Queen Alia death. It was built in 1983.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Serene Highness

It may be that I am superstitious. That is rather quaint for me.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Serene Highness

Do you mean that because she was killed in an air crash, it is unique or unusual.....whatever the word.....to name an airport for her? That occured to me. I thought, after reading it was after her death, King Hussein decided to do so because of his love of aviation and knowing this would be a long-standing, important memorial to her so it kind of merged his great loves: Queen Alia and his love of flying, even though a helicopter crash had taken her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilal
It may be that I am superstitious. That is rather quaint for me.