The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Commoner

Muna was'nt made Queen because at the ttime she married King Hussein there was a lot of of anti-British feling prevelant in Jordan. That's why the King felt it would be better for her to adopt the title 'Princess'

Old 08-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Gentry

Princess Muna at graduation from Petra News
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5396I.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	187195  

Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Serene Highness

In every book I've read on King Hussein, it says he divorced Princess Muna in 1972 two months before marrying Alia Toukan, who became Queen Alia. In Roland Dallas' book, King Hussein: A Life on the Edge," he states: "Alia met the King in 1972 when she was working on a trip that the King was making on Royal Jordanian. At that time, by one account, the King and Muna were estranged and living apart. By another account, their divorce had been decided, a surprise that was not sought or wanted by Muna. Her version of events is not available; as part of the divorce settlement she undertook not to make it public."

In another commerative book on King Hussein after his death and released by the KHF, it states he and Princess Muna were divorced in 1972.

I don't think King Hussein had multiple wives at the same time. QN doesn't really address the issue except to say in her book she tried to approach the whole extended family issue in an idealistic way, "including all the children and former wives at family gatherings."
Old 11-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Commoner

Due Respects

I feel that Princess Muna deserves much more than just a mere spectator in the Royal game. Apart from being the King's mom, and a few charities to her name, there isn't really much for her to be involved in. Speculating about what her true feelings are for the JRF and whether she is still considered an outsider despite standing strong in the face of total rejection by her husband. It requires great courage to stand up and accept defeat by still staying in a foreign country and daily bear the stigma of being an unwanted wife and see her loved one in the arms of another. I salute Princess Muna for all that she had to bear and the least of what she got and to be fair to her was that her son KA was finally chosen to be the monarch.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:25 AM
Courtier

I think it's very admirable that she never asked for the title of "Queen." Of course, politics at the time didn't allow for her to be Queen but she certainly could have asked for the title later on in her marriage, when she had given birth to Abdullah. But she didn't and instead chose to stay in the background.

She seems like a very grounded person. I think she is also the only one of Hussein's wives who did not come from a wealthy background? Dina was of course born royalty; Alia came from a VERY prominent family as did Noor. Muna was the daughter of an army officer, correct?

She also seems to be close to her father as he attends lots of family functions with her.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonna23
I think it's very admirable that she never asked for the title of "Queen." Of course, politics at the time didn't allow for her to be Queen but she certainly could have asked for the title later on in her marriage, when she had given birth to Abdullah. But she didn't and instead chose to stay in the background.

She seems like a very grounded person. I think she is also the only one of Hussein's wives who did not come from a wealthy background? Dina was of course born royalty; Alia came from a VERY prominent family as did Noor. Muna was the daughter of an army officer, correct?

She also seems to be close to her father as he attends lots of family functions with her.
where from do you know that she never asked for the title?
Old 11-19-2005, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

When I thought Queen Dina was Princess and then Muna received the same designee, I assumed Muna was just following in the path of Dina--per King Hussein's thinking at that time. Now that I realize Dina was Queen, I wonder why Muna was not named Queen, as well. Perhaps it was because she did not come from money or the area..... But one of the more plausible explanations why KH made her Princess is that Roland Dallas, his biographer, explained KH was trying to downplay Muna's background as British. She was described as a muslim to his people just before the marriage but little else was said. The "chattering classes," aka the wealthier circles in Jordan, were rather cruel to Muna, calling her "the typist from Ipswich." In a way, I suppose, KH was trying to ruffle as few feathers as possible....or so I thought until I learned about Queen Dina.

In retrospect, it seems very thoughtless and unfeeling of KH to have three Queens--including one from the US--and not give Muna the same title. I agree that it must have hurt terribly to stand by and watch him whisk first Alia, then Lisa Halaby off their feet and make them Queens. I give her credit for standing by silently and with dignity, remaining in Jordan and raising their children--even providing him a shoulder to lean on after QA's death. I understand their divorce decree was quite clear she would retain her title as Princess.

I have no idea if she asked to be named Queen. The thought occured to me if KA could change that. It's been speculated that once Prince William becomes King, he might well restore the HRH to his mother, Princess Diana. Different countries, different rules--but she is, for all intents and purposes, she is Queen Mother. "Princess Mother" sounds silly and is not a title even used. If the country can have two Queens, why not a third? Dina, Queen Mother.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Princess Muna wasn't named Queen because she was British and at the time of her marriage, the political situation wouldnt allow it.
It was infact the King's ministers who advised him not to name her Queen.
a brief video about the wedding here (it mentions that the King, upon his ministers' advice, agreed not to name her Queen)
http://www.britishpathe.com/product_...SEIN+WEDS+TONI
click on "Download video" and fill out the required info. to watch the clip.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:14 AM
Courtier

I remember flipping through King Hussein's book (which he wrote while married to Muna, I think) and he mentioned how Muna never argued with him regarding the title of Queen - or something to that effect. I'm not quite sure since I just flipped through the book and it was some odd months, maybe even a year, ago.

Maybe someone else has read the book? I'm pretty sure it mentions that Muna never asked for the title of Queen and settled into her "behind-the-scenes" role comfortably.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Courtier

well if KH did divorce Princess Muna,she wouldn't be called princess nowadays she would have lost the title,but she never did,which means,he never divorced her, or well at least that's what I know.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Serene Highness

So Dina lost her title, as well? I don't know. Did King Hussein petition for the divorce? I read they had been quarreling before she left for Egypt and some of the problems in their marriage occured because Dina was widely regarded as "an intellectual" who had a circle of like-minded friends. Some of their theories about how KH should rule did not sit well with him. I wonder if some of Dina's "well meaning" friends (insert sarcasm) reported back some inaccuracies about Dina to KH. That is what was implied in a book called "King Hussein" by an author whose name escapes me now. I have it put away in my room and will dig it out and try to write the associated paragraphs. It certainly might explain KH's fury--as one has to be very, very angry to keep Dina from her young daughter, and it just doesn't seem in keeping with his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil Monkey
well if KH did divorce Princess Muna,she wouldn't be called princess nowadays she would have lost the title,but she never did,which means,he never divorced her, or well at least that's what I know.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
not necessarily. King Hussein would've allowed her to keep the title of Princess because she was the mother of 4 of his kids including his first son.
Just like when Princess Diana was divorced she was allowed to keep the title of Princess. Other royal women have also kept their titles in some form after a divorce, more recently, Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Isnt Princess Firyal divorced as well?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
not necessarily. King Hussein would've allowed her to keep the title of Princess because she was the mother of 4 of his kids including his first son.
Just like when Princess Diana was divorced she was allowed to keep the title of Princess. Other royal women have also kept their titles in some form after a divorce, more recently, Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Isnt Princess Firyal divorced as well?
well,my knowledge is humble when it comes to royal issues,but I THINK,I am not sure,the Jordanian constitution states that when the king divorces his wife she looses the title.
I know Queen DIna did loose the title ,cuz she remarried after KH.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness

Alls well that ends well, princess or queen, friend or outcast, she is the king's mother and has some respect at last! She deserves it, she definitely seems very dignified.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
well,my knowledge is humble when it comes to royal issues,but I THINK,I am not sure,the Jordanian constitution states that when the king divorces his wife she looses the title.
well I think that only applies to women who remarry after their divorce from a royal, even then it is not always the case in all countries (Princess Alexandra of Denmark will lose her "princess" title if she remarries but she'll still be a Countess)
Both Princess Firyal and Princess Muna didnt remarry after their divorces which is why they still have their titles

Antoinette (Toni) Avril Gardiner (born Chelmondiston, England, in 1941) renamed Muna al-Hussein on conversion to Islam) before her marriage to King Hussein (November 14, 1935 - February 7, 1999), the King of Jordan (1952-1999) on May 25, 1961.
An award-winning field hockey player, former typist, and daughter of a British army officer turned innkeeper, Ltn. Col Walter Percy Gardiner, she was given the title Princess Muna al Hussein on January 30, 1962. They divorced in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Muna_al-Hussein

The 1972 divorce between KH and Princess Muna is also mentioned here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/276136.stm

and here:
http://www.royalty.nu/MiddleEast/Jordan/Hussein.html
Old 11-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Nobility

I've always sympathized with Princess Muna. She must not had thought that one day her son would become the king!! What a big compensation to her!! She deserved it so much!

Why did the King divorce her??? Is it because after 10 years of marriage, he got tired of her and plus he met the beautiful and charming Queen Alia?? No matter how charming Queen Alia was, the King should not have had divorced her. Poor Muna...but isnt this one of the common fates of many women...
Old 11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
well I think that only applies to women who remarry after their divorce from a royal, even then it is not always the case in all countries (Princess Alexandra of Denmark will lose her "princess" title if she remarries but she'll still be a Countess)
Both Princess Firyal and Princess Muna didnt remarry after their divorces which is why they still have their titles

Antoinette (Toni) Avril Gardiner (born Chelmondiston, England, in 1941) renamed Muna al-Hussein on conversion to Islam) before her marriage to King Hussein (November 14, 1935 - February 7, 1999), the King of Jordan (1952-1999) on May 25, 1961.
An award-winning field hockey player, former typist, and daughter of a British army officer turned innkeeper, Ltn. Col Walter Percy Gardiner, she was given the title Princess Muna al Hussein on January 30, 1962. They divorced in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Muna_al-Hussein
well thats what we all knew,till KH appointed KA as the CP back in 1998,that's when people said that it turned out that he didn't really divorce her...oh well,what difference does it make,she's the mother of the king now
Old 11-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Serene Highness

Whether or not it was part of the divorce decree as reported in King Hussein by Roland Dallas and other books, I think Muna would have maintained her silence on the matter. She strikes me as a very discreet, selfless person.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

The Hashemite Family tree from KH's official website:
http://www.kinghussein.gov.jo/rfamily_immediate.html

It lists both of KH's first two marriages as ending in divorce.
Its not up-to-date, ie. it only has the names of King Abdullah's first two kids.
But the rest is accurate.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Princess Muna Patronizes Ceremony
Pictures from Petra: