Prince Zeid Bin Ra'ad & Princess Sarah Zeid

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rossina

Former Moderator
City
Country
India
Jordanian joins race for UN secretary-general post
Kofi Annan’s term as UN secretary-general set to end in 3 months; Jordanian prince applies as candidate to replace him. If chosen, he will be first Muslim to lead UN
Jordanian Prince Zaid Hussein joined on Tuesday the race to replace Annan whose tenure as secretary-general of the organization is set
to end in less than three months.
Prince Zaid, 42, is the cousin of King Abdullah, and serves as Jordan’s ambassador to the UN. If appointed, he will be the first Muslim to become the UN secretary-general. The appointment of the secretary -general is carried out in two phases – a secret ballot phase at the Security Council, followed by an open vote in the UN General Assembly.
Prince zaid is the eldest son of HRH Prince Raad bin zaid of jordan (and Iraq) and his wife princes Majda raad (born Margratta Lind).
brothers & sisters:
HRH Prince Mired bin Raad
HRHPrince Feras bin Raad
HRH Prince Faisal bin Raad
HRH Princess Fakhrelnissa bint Raad

http://www.jordantimes.com/thu/homenews/homenews1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I Hope it will work out...It wud be great!

The big favourite for this place is former americain president Bill Clinton,he's also a candidate.

Salomé said:
The big favourite for this place is former americain president Bill Clinton,he's also a candidate.

Bill Clinton would be a great successor of Kofi Annan. But it is Asia’s turn. Thus, all official candidates are from that continent. Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

Veram98 said:
Bill Clinton would be a great successor of Kofi Annan. But it is Asia’s turn. Thus, all official candidates are from that continent. Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

Do you think it's a question of continent?If so why we had on the head of UN two successive secretary general from Africa Boutros Boutros-Ghali from Egypt and Kofi Annan from Ghana.

What about Lakhdar Ibrahimi (princess' Rym father), UN envoy to ME,he was also a candidate,is he still?

editted multiply empty lines

The UN’s past Secretaries-General are:

Name Country Term Trygve Lie Norway 1946 - 1952 Dag Hammarskjold Sweden 1953 - 1961 U Thant Burma/Myanmar 1961 - 1971 Kurt Waldheim Austria 1972 - 1981 Javier Perez de Cuellar Peru 1982 - 1991 Boutros Boutros-Ghali Egypt 1992 - 1996 Kofi Annan Ghana 1997 - 2006

The four official candidates are:

Ban Ki-moon South Korea Foreign Minister Jayantha Dhanapala Sri Lanka Senior Advisor to the President Surakiart Sathirathai Thailand Deputy Prime Minister Shashi Tharoor India UN Under Secretary-General for
Communications & Public Information

Other potential, but still non-official, candidates being discussed in the press and in UN circeles include:

Kemal Dervis Turkey UN Development Program Administrator Goh Chok Tong Singapore Former Prime Minister Prince Zeid Hussein Jordan Permanent Representative to the UN Maleeha Lodhi Pakistan High Commissioner to the UK Ashraf Ghani Afghanistan Chancellor Kabul University

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKISNqEmG/b.1867287/k.F23A/SecretaryGeneral_Watch_Choosing_Kofi_Annans_Successor.htm

Veram98 said:
Besides, it is said that the US administration is supporting the candidacy of Prince Zeid.

hmmm, don't you think that it has something to do with Prince Raad's interests in Iraq,who claimed to be rightful to succession to rule Iraq after US invasion,this caused a crisis within Iraq,and King Abdallah then toned down the situation by saying that Prince Raad is NOW a jordanian and doesn't have to be involved or to think about interests in Iraq.

I think if Prince Zeid would be choosen on UN's head,that will serve only US and Raad's interests in Iraq, and will not very welcomed by some middle eastern countries,and this is not the purpose of a such as organization:cool:

There's a whole thread already discussed in The Royal Forums about the crisis in Iraq and about the jordanian royal family interests there.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f83/ex-crown-prince-hassans-interest-iraq-1667.html?highlight=prince+hassan+iraq

That the next secretary general should come from Asia is part of a tradition to rotate among regions in awarding the job. It’s not a rule (therefore the exceptions in the past). It seems that diplomats have already agreed to follow this time the tradition (therefore only Asian candidates). I heard about it on TV (CNN International, if I remember well).

Lakhdar Brahimi has no chance to get elected, he would be the third African UNSG one after the other.

The Arab states seem to support Prince Zeid:

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=902605

They would not do it, if the prince or his father had actively claimed the throne of Iraq in the past few years (the one who did this was rather Sherif Ali bin Hussein: a cousin of late king Faisal II by his mother).

Veram98 said:
PYes you are right, it's Asia's turn. I didn't know the US supports the candidancy of P.Zaid that's interesting!
my dad met him once in a conference or smthing sometime ago he sayd he's such a very well educated and intelligent man.
I really hope he wud be the successor of Kofi Annan, we need sm1 like him.

Prince Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi throne,and so will be his oldest son Zeid,that's why I am thinking that was not a good idea to be candidate for such as delicate position.

Sooner or later the personnal interests would be confused by the interests of nations,and the US support doesn't surprise me then.

I don't say that Zeid doesn't have good skills for such as position,but it would be better if that was used only for diplomacy of Jordan,the country to whom he's supposed to belong now.

Salomé said:
Prince Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi throne,and so will be his oldest son Zeid,that's why I am thinking that was not a good idea to be candidate for such as delicate position.

Sooner or later the personnal interests would be confused by the interests of nations,and the US support doesn't surprise me then.

I don't say that Zeid doesn't have good skills for such as position,but it would be better if that was used only for diplomacy of Jordan,the country to whom he's supposed to belong now.

It's not Zaid bin Raad who claimed interest in Iraq Salome.

I know the one who claimed in fact is his cousin Sherif Ali.
In my last post I didn't say Zaid bin Raad claimed the throne of Iraq,but I said his father Raad is still the pretendent for Iraqi Throne,and so will be his oldest son Zaid,and that means they have interests there even without claiming.

Because he doesn’t show any real interest in the throne of Iraq there will be no conflict of interests. Besides, it is now obvious that the US are prefering a republic in Iraq to a monarchy.
I wish Prince Zeid all the best for the election. I think he would be a good choice for the post.

i would love to see a muslim in the post - but isn't prince zaid too close to the king to be considered for such a position? and wouldn't it be odd to have a prince as a secretary general? that would be truly something for royalty...

i would hope that if he is selected, he gives up his title...

Ryal hashemite famely of Iraq

• HRH Prince ZAID ibn Husain 1958/1970, Head of the Royal House of Iraq, born 1898 in Constantinople, son of HM King HUSAIN ibn Ali, King of the Hijaz, Grand Sherif of Mecca, married 1934, Fahrinissa, born 1905, and had issue. He died 18th October 1970 in Paris.
    • HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid (qv)
    • HRH Princess Badia bint Zaid
    • HRH Princess Abdiyah bint Zaid
  • HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid
PRESENT HEAD OF HOUSE: HRH Prince RA'AD ibn Zaid (1970/-)born 18th February 1936 in Berlin, Head of the Royal House of Iraq since 1970, married HRH Princess Majda [née Margaretha Inga Lind], born 5th September 1942 in Arboga, Sweden and has issue.
  • HRH Prince Zaid ibn Ra'ad, born 26th January 1964 in Amman, married Sarah Godfrey.
  • HRH Prince Mired ibn Ra'ad, born 11th June 1965 in Amman, married Dina Khalifeh, and has issue.
    • HRH Princess Shiran bint Mired
    • HRH Prince Arkan ibn Mired
  • HRH Prince Firas ibn Ra'ad, born 12th October 1969 in Amman.
  • HRH Prince Faisal ibn Ra'ad, born 7th March 1975 in Amman.
  • HRH Princess Fakhrelnissa bint Ra'ad, born 11th January 1981.

Last edited:
madonna23 said:
i would love to see a muslim in the post - but isn't prince zaid too close to the king to be considered for such a position? and wouldn't it be odd to have a prince as a secretary general? that would be truly something for royalty...

i would hope that if he is selected, he gives up his title...

I doubt he will give up his title,he is the Jordanian council in UN because of his royal connetions,regardless to his skills.

In my opinion, to be a pretendent for throne of Iraq which is still in conflict,and also to be the cousin of King Abdallah who's ruling Jordan like an absolute monarchy,is too much delicate to be considered for such as position. The UNGS should be a neutral person.

I totally agree Salome - I don't know too much about his relationship to Iraq and whether or not his family still considers themselves heirs their, but he is so closely tied to King Abdullah. Of course, the US would love to see him in this position - they would be able to boss him around pretty easily compared to the current Sec. Kofi Annan. I think it would be wonderful to have a Muslim - but one who doesn't have ties to a ruling monarchy or government.

Prince Raad bin Zaid is not and was never an iraqi, his uncle prince Faisal bin alhussein was put on the throne of Iraq by the british after he was kicked out by the syrians who rejected him, so he was given Iraq instead. The same went for the other brother Abdallah who was appointed ruler of Transjordan, they were all Hijazis from Mecca but their father stood by the British against the ottomans in what was known as the great arab revolution, thus his children were awarded those thrones with the help of Lawrance of Arabia, the father himself was kicked out and died in exile. As the brother of the by then King Faisal, prince Zaid was appointed ambassador of iraq in England, that was as much for prince Raad as being an iraqi and as was mentioned previously in this thread his mother was not an iraqi either but turkish, so what on earth give him or any other Hashemite the right to the throne of iraq which doesn't exsist anymore. They were brought by the British and their rule was ended so tragically and in a terrible blood bath by the Iraqis , if I were them I'll never go back.

Last edited:
All the discussion about HRH Prince Zaid bin Raad has been fine and civil so far, but please don't forget that political discussions are strictly forbidden on this board and be careful not to start one.

Thank you for cooperation

tesaweer said:
Prince Raad bin Zaid is not and was never an iraqi, his uncle prince Faisal bin alhussein was put on the throne of Iraq by the british after he was kicked out by the syrians who rejected him, so he was given Iraq instead. The same went for the other brother Abdallah who was appointed ruler of Transjordan, they were all Hijazis from Mecca but their father stood by the British against the ottomans in what was known as the great arab revolution, thus his children were awarded those thrones with the help of Lawrance of Arabia, the father himself was kicked out and died in exile. As the brother of the by then King Faisal, prince Zaid was appointed ambassador of iraq in England, that was as much for prince Raad as being an iraqi and as was mentioned previously in this thread his mother was not an iraqi either but turkish, so what on earth give him or any other Hashemite the right to the throne of iraq which doesn't exsist anymore. They were brought by the British and their rule was ended so tragically and in a terrible blood bath by the Iraqis , if I were them I'll never go back.

I don't want to discuss the legitimity of throne of Iraq or of any other country or how they successed to get,because then, lot of royal families who came from other countries and are still reigning and reigned before won't exist,but I was talking about prince Zaid connection to that "Iraqi throne" which is a fact.

Indeed NOW prince RAAD is considered the head of the Iraqi royal house,which makes him the pretendent for the throne,and so is his oldest son Zaid.

http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Iraq/iraq3.htm

Veram98 said:
Because he doesn’t show any real interest in the throne of Iraq there will be no conflict of interests.

Really?why then he didn't make any dicision or official declaration to abdicate from the head of the iraqi royal house,because untill now,he considers himself the pretendent for the Iraqi throne and considers himself the head of the Iraqi Royal house.
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Iraq/iraq3.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2950371.stm#royalists

Besides, it is now obvious that the US are prefering a republic in Iraq to a monarchy

So it was before 2003;) , but sometimes, interests change the choices.

I wish Prince Zeid all the best for the election. I think he would be a good choice for the post

I wish also a Muslim or Arab as a UNGS,it will give an other perception for the role of the UN in that area full of conflicts,I was happy with the good job of the Egyptian (even christian)Boutros Ghali though,BUT not prince Zaid, too much delicate in many sides, and would look like an other lobby which serves the interests on some rather than a neutral organisation which uses the diplomacy for conflicts.

At this time, I would like to reinforce Avalon's comment that we try to stay off the subject of politics. The moderators are trying to allow a free and honest discussion, so please be careful...we would hate to close this thread or delete political posts.

I would also like to point out this is thread is about the Royal Family of Jordan and not Iraq. And yes, while it is possible for a person to be in line to succession for two or more countries, this particular thread is increasingly becoming a discussion about the Iraq throne and this is not the place for that discussion.

Thank you.

okay, so even if we ignore zaid & iraq, isn't anyone else bothered by the idea that someone at the head of the un would be a royal? i just think it's very odd - maybe not for members of this forum because we read about royalty and are familiar with it but for the majority of the world, royalty is a very odd thing and to have the representative of the un be royal would just be weird.

Madonna,of course it's bothering,especially if the royal in Question Zaid,is a very close relative of a king who's ruling and still reigning like an absolute monarch.

If it was a non reigning royal with no power,we could have ignored that,but it's not Zaid's case.

I admire Prince Zeid (in English docs he seems to spell it that way, Zeid not Zaid). He has done a great job for Jordan in the US and is very moderate. I think he'd be a great UN ambassador. It is good to see his branch of the family featured in the forum.

Frothy said:
I admire Prince Zeid (in English docs he seems to spell it that way, Zeid not Zaid). He has done a great job for Jordan in the US and is very moderate. I think he'd be a great UN ambassador. It is good to see his branch of the family featured in the forum.
Can you please tell me of any publication or links about his job or the things he did to jordan in his role in the UN, as many of us have never heard about him before. I read he's just 42 and worked in the UN since the year 2000. Any links would be appreciated ;)

Last edited:
From the NYT note he spells it "Zeid" not Zaid

http://www.nytimes.com/glogin?URI=http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/opinion/28zeid.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=1b82c26eQ2FQ27(XAQ27Q5CQ60MHqQ60Q60wWQ27WVVQ7DQ27VQ2FQ27WzQ27Q60fZOZQ60OQ27WzQ20XZQ5C.Q51wQ7Ek

By ZEID RAL-HUSSEIN
Only if the United Nations has the will to change itself can it change the world.

THE United Nations faces a daunting range of challenges in the 21st century: promoting development without fostering dependency; combating climate change without reducing growth; defending human rights without insisting on one true path. But in the past five years, a specter has risen, casting a shadow across the world: the specter of extremism, instability and injustice gripping the Middle East.

Salomé said:
Paper blasts Qatar for failure to back Jordan's UN candidate

Amman - A pro-government Jordanian newspaper on Sunday lashed out at Qatar's Foreign Minister Sheikh Hamad Bin Jabr al-Thani for his refusal to back Jordan's candidate for the post of UN secretary general, Prince Zeid Bin Raad.
The daily al-Rai charged in a front-page article that Qatar's representative at the Security Council 'not only voted against the Jordanian candidate but urged others to follow suit'.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/middleeast/article_1207011.php/Paper_blasts_Qatar_for_failure_to_back_Jordans_UN_candidate

Race for Annan’s successor hots up

Jordan’s UN Ambassador Prince Zeid al-Hussein, who entered the race to succeed Annan only on September 5, came in fourth ahead of former UN disarmament chief Jayantha Dhanapala, a Sri Lankan, they added.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=world_news&month=september2006&file=world_news2006091743547.xml

Jordan called their ambassador in Qatar,as Qatar won't support the Jordanian candidate for the UNSG post.

I am not understunding the attitude of Jordanian officials,I think this is a vote,and every country is free to support the candidate who convicts it,and there's no obligation from Qatar to support the Jordanian candidate,if it was so,every vote would create diplomatic crisis as now?

Salomé said:
Jordan called their ambassador in Qatar,as Qatar won't support the Jordanian candidate for the UNSG post.

I am not understunding the attitude of Jordanian officials,I think this is a vote,and every country is free to support the candidate who convicts it,and there's no obligation from Qatar to support the Jordanian candidate,if it was so,every vote would create diplomatic crisis as now?

As I understood from arabic newpeaper that all Arabs country support Jordan's candidate include Quter but without a reason they changed their mind and support another candidate !
so we don't know what is going on between the two countries .

Last edited:
houri said:
As I understood from arabic newpeaper that all Arabs country support Jordan's candidate include Quter but without a reason they changed their mind and support another candidate !

Apparently not,this is only the jordanian version and jordanian papers' version,Qatar was clear before candidature of prince Zeid about the candidate they are supporting,say they never talkek about supporting Zeid's candidature any time,to be accused by changing their mind.

Article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061003/ap_on_re_mi_ea/jordan_qatar_un;_ylt=ArHqGnf58BKCIA3ibLxgfLILewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

In Monday's poll, .....
According to the results, Ban received 14 votes in favor and a white "no opinion" ballot cast by one of the 10 rotating members of the council. Every other candidate received at least one no vote from a veto-wielding member.
Zeid had only two votes in favor and eight against, with one veto.
After the vote on Monday, Qatar's U.N. Ambassador Nassir Al-Nassir confirmed that his nation did not vote for Prince Zeid. He did not specify whether he cast a no vote or expressed no opinion, but said Zeid had entered the race after Qatar had already promised to vote for someone else.
"My foreign minister told them it's late for Jordan to come now with a candidate," al-Nassir said. "We already, a year ago, we gave our commitment to one of the candidates and we cannot play with this."

Back
Top Bottom