Pan Arab Games in Jordan: August 15-31, 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great thread, Humera. Thank you. This is an old article from JTimes capturing the spirit of those days:

Royal family brings magic, keen interest to Arab Games

By Ziad Raad
Agence France Presse

AMMAN — His Majesty King Abdullah and the Royal family have brought magic to the home teams and keen interest to the 9th Pan-Arab Games which they are hosting, in the fine tradition set by the late King Hussein.
A sports fan and athlete in his own right, King Hussein, who died in February after a long battle with cancer, raced cars, water-skied and had advanced belts in taekwondo and karate.

http://www.jordanembassyus.org/082599001.htm

I really liked Rania's look back then - fresh and pretty, not too much make up.

thanks for the article barbara, I saved it :)

Pictures from the last day of the games

August 31, 1999 - Part 1

SPORT-ARAB:AMMAN - Members of the Royal family embrace each other after the Jordanian soccer team won the gold medal at the Ninth Pan-Arab Games in Amman August 31. Jordan beat Iraq 7-5. aj/Photo by Majed Jaber REUTERS/Newscom & Corbis

August 31, 1999 - Part 2

AMMAN, JORDAN: Queen Rania waves as the crowds attending the 9th Pan Arab Games soccer final between Jordan and Iraq, started singing "Happy Birthday" while her husband King Abdullah II looks on. The Queen celebrated her 29th birthday at the King Hussein International Stadium during the half-time of the game. Jordan 7-5 after penalty shootout. (KHALIL MAZRAAWI/AFP/Getty Images) other pics by Olycom

August 31, 1999 - Part 3

Newcom, Olycom, & Corbis

September 1, 1999
Original caption: The queen comes to congratulate the Jordanian athletes who participated in the Pan-Arab Games. Corbis

Princesses Iman, Ayesha, & Zein. Undated pic from the games (DPA)

Last edited:
i don't think any of the royal members - especially abdullah and rania - have ever been as natural and easygoing as they are right here...

thanks for this thread, humera - it's nice to look at these wonderful events.

~*~Humera~*~ said:

August 31, 1999 - Part 1

SPORT-ARAB:AMMAN - Members of the Royal family embrace each other after the Jordanian soccer team won the gold medal at the Ninth Pan-Arab Games in Amman August 31. Jordan beat Iraq 7-5. aj/Photo by Majed Jaber REUTERS/Newscom & Corbis

That was an amazing day,even KA was so natural and just showed his true emotions...I miss the old KA :(

madonna23 said:
i don't think any of the royal members - especially abdullah and rania - have ever been as natural and easygoing as they are right here...

thanks for this thread, humera - it's nice to look at these wonderful events.

Yea they were AMAZING!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely pictures, where was the Games held after Jordan? After all there should have been 1 in 2003 if it's held every 4 years?

the games were held in Algeria after Jordan.
You can find the list of countries here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Arab_Games

the games are supposed to be held every 4 years but because of the obvious turbulent situation in the middle east, the length of time between the games has fluctuated since the 1960s.

lil Monkey said:
That was an amazing day,even KA was so natural and just showed his true emotions...I miss the old KA :(

Allah help him , he is a king in ME and this not very easy job .

those pictues lovley and show how they love sport :)

PA congratulate the Egyption team :)

from Alrai newspaper

Attachments

• Clip_2.jpg
    Clip_2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 918
  • Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 649
queen rania at pan-arab games:

from mgaproduction.com

Yes and Princess Muna was there too. Two of King Hussein's former wives and his widow at the same event, doesn't happen very often.

August 31, 1999 - Part 1

Vedio
YouTube - ‫

Sweet pic .. prince Hamzah & princess Iman bint Abdullah:)
http://img814.imageshack.us/i/getimager.jpg/

King Abdullah II,Queen Rania ,Prince Faisal ,Prince Ali, Prince Hussein & Prince Omar.

1.. 2

ORDAN, Amman : King Abdullah II of Jordan (L), wearing a national soccer team jersey, watches Jordan battle Qatar with his son Prince Hussein and brother Prince Faysal (R), 16 August 1999, during the ninth Pan Arab Games in Amman. Jordan won 3-0. (ELECTRONIC IMAGE)

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2015 they wil make again in Jordan

how nice, hopefuly things will be in favor 4 years from now and will make this a good event for jrf and jordan.

Sweet pic .. prince Hamzah & princess Iman bint Abdullah:)
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

King Abdullah II,Queen Rania ,Prince Faisal ,Prince Ali, Prince Hussein & Prince Omar.

1.. 2

ORDAN, Amman : King Abdullah II of Jordan (L), wearing a national soccer team jersey, watches Jordan battle Qatar with his son Prince Hussein and brother Prince Faysal (R), 16 August 1999, during the ninth Pan Arab Games in Amman. Jordan won 3-0. (ELECTRONIC IMAGE)

this is a cute picture for Hamzah playing with Iman.

I really miss the Pan Arab Games days...The days when the JRF were more united, hugging each other & celebrating their national team`s victory.I cant believe those wonderful moments were 17 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvfZhcUByqw

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom