Opening of Parliament: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
AMMAN, JORDAN - DECEMBER 1: Jordan's King Abdullah II reviews the honour guard as he attends the official opening of parliament December 1, 2003 in Amman, Jordan. King Abdullah met separately with Palestinian Prime Minister Qorei and U.S. Envoy William Burns over the weekend. King Abdullah stated in his meetings that the separation wall currently being built by the Israelis and continued Israeli settlements in Palestinian areas may endanger possible peace plans in the future. (Photo by Salah Malkawi/Getty Images)

Attachments

• JR_abdullah_502.jpg
    JR_abdullah_502.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 692
  • 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 301.jpg
    301.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 604
Last edited by a moderator:
  1. AMMAN, JORDAN - DECEMBER 1: Jordan's King Abdullah II attends the official opening of parliament December 1, 2003 in Amman, Jordan. King Abdullah met separately with Palestinian Prime Minister Qorei and U.S. Envoy William Burns over the weekend. King Abdullah stated in his meetings that the separation wall currently being built by the Israelis and continued Israeli settlements in Palestinian areas may endanger possible peace plans in the future.
  2. AMMAN, JORDAN - DECEMBER 1: Jordan's Queen Rania attends the official opening of parliament December 1, 2003 in Amman, Jordan. King Abdullah II met separately with Palestinian Prime Minister Qorei and U.S. Envoy William Burns over the weekend. King Abdullah stated in his meetings that the separation wall currently being built by the Israelis and continued Israeli settlements in Palestinian areas may endanger possible peace plans in the future.
  3. AMMAN, JORDAN - DECEMBER 1: Princess Mona, the mother of Jordan's King Abdullah and his sister, Princess Aysha (L), attend the official opening of parliament December 1, 2003 in Amman, Jordan. King Abdullah II met separately with Palestinian Prime Minister Qorei and U.S. Envoy William Burns over the weekend. King Abdullah stated in his meetings that the separation wall currently being built by the Israelis and continued Israeli settlements in Palestinian areas may endanger possible peace plans in the future.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 685
  • 301.jpg
    301.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 726
  • 303.jpg
    303.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 741
Great photos, Alexandria!

Does anyone know what role Princess Mona plays nowadays? Does she live in Jordan?

Originally posted by Julia@Dec 2nd, 2003 - 1:16 am
Great photos, Alexandria!

Does anyone know what role Princess Mona plays nowadays? Does she live in Jordan?
Princess Muna seems to have more and more of an 'official role' as the King's mother. For instance, she represented the King in Rome recently. She also represented him at the funeral of Britain's Queen Mother in 2001.

She has lived in Jordan since her marriage to Hussein.

S

Many thanks, Sean. She must have lead a very interesting life while King Hussein was alive and seems to continue to!

www.hellomagazine.com

Queen Rania Joins King Abdullah at the Opening of Parliament

2 DECEMBER 2003
Jordan's King Abdullah was warmly embraced by his wife Queen Rania after making his "Speech From The Throne" to open Parliament on Monday.

Dressed in a blue satin ensemble, Rania looked on as her husband made his opening address in which he called for the promotion "tolerance, freedom of thought, creativity and excellence" in the country.

"Our vision of the Jordan that will emerge in the future is based on a solid foundation, whose substance is that Jordan is a modern, democratic country," said the king. He went on to advise parliament to act "with absolute conviction in order to promote Jordan as a civilized model for tolerance, freedom of thought, creativity and excellence."

The 41-year-old king, whose high-profile spouse is a well-known champion of human rights, also called for laws aimed at equality for women. "Women should be provided with all the necessary capabilities and due rights in order to ensure their full participation in political, economic and social life," he declared.

www.hellomagazine.com - After delivering the speech, in which he championed Jordan's female population, he was embraced by one of the country's leading women's rights campaigners, his wife Rania.

Attachments

• abdullah_dop1a.jpg
    abdullah_dop1a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,604
  • abdullah_dop2a.jpg
    abdullah_dop2a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 926
Opening of Parliament 2004

1. KIng Abdullah II Opens Parliament Sessionwith Queen Rania
  2. King Opens Parliament Session: Princess Muna Al Hussein, Prince Feisal, Princess Alia Al Faisal and Princess Aisha.

Attachments

• withRaniaI.jpg
    withRaniaI.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 899
  • openparliament2004.jpg
    openparliament2004.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,381
AMMAN, JORDAN: Jordan's King Abdullah reviews Bedouin guards of honour on his arrival at the lower house of parliament in Amman 01 December 2004. The Jordanian parliament re-elected Abdelhadi Majali, an ex-minister of public works and former head of the public security department, as its speaker at the opening of the new session of parliament. In addition to the 110-seat lower house which was elected in June 2003, parliament also comprises a 55-member upper house appointed by the king.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 603
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 602
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 578
AMMAN, JORDAN: The half-brothers of Jordan's King Abdullah II, Prince Faisal (R) and former Crown Prince Hamza (L), chat during the opening of the new session at the lower house of parliament in Amman 01 December 2004. The Jordanian parliament re-elected Abdelhadi Majali, an ex-minister of public works and former head of the public security department, as its speaker today. King Abdullah announced 28 November 2004 his decision to renounce his younger half-brother's title of Crown Prince, in a public letter explaning that the decision was to free Prince Hamza to pursue "other functions". AFP PHOTO/KHALIL MAZRAAWI (Photo credit should read KHALIL MAZRAAWI/AFP/Getty Images)

Attachments

• 51809329.jpg
    51809329.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 580
Opening of Parliament 2004

Pics from the 2004 opening of the parliament session.

Attachments

• 3220I.jpg
    3220I.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 758
  • 3221I.jpg
    3221I.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 641
  • 3222I.jpg
    3222I.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 648
  • 3223I.jpg
    3223I.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 608
  • 3219I.jpg
    3219I.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 648
  • 3224I.jpg
    3224I.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 689
  • 3225I.jpg
    3225I.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 610
  • 3226I.jpg
    3226I.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 590
and more pics..

Attachments

• 3227I.jpg
    3227I.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 666
  • 3228I.jpg
    3228I.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 694
  • 3229I.jpg
    3229I.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 545
  • 3230I.jpg
    3230I.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 793
  • 3231I.jpg
    3231I.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 615
Amman, Dec.1(Petra)-- His Majesty King Abdullah inaugurated on
Wednesday the 14th parliament second ordinary session by delivering
a speech from the Throne .

The King stressed that Jordan's security and stability is a
priority that tops all other priorities.

King Abdullah said that it is an opportunity to evaluate our five year march in which we achieved a lot of what we aspire to achieve with God's blessings and in spite of the unstable conditions in the region, indicators show a rise in the rate of economic growth and in exports and investment as well as an invigoration of the stock exchange market, a reduction of debts and an increase in foreign exchange reserves. This assures us that we are on the right track but still, what is required from us is to intensify the efforts and
accelerate the implementation of the plans and programs which we have designed to achieve the development we aspire to, these plans and programs stem from our vision for our national interest and from our conscience and aspirations of our people.

Last edited:
Any body saw him in the speech of the throne, Did you notice that he made his very long speach without looking to a paper.

Prince Hamzah looks sombre.
Who's the gentleman kissing king Abdullah in the last picture?

King urges acceleration of development projects

hnews2_2_12.jpg
Badia Forces parade before the opening of the second ordinary session of the 14th Parliament on Wednesday (Reuters photo by Ali Jarekji) Following is the official translation of the full text of His Majesty King Abdullah's Speech from the Throne delivered at the opening of the 14th Parliament's second ordinary session on Wednesday:

In the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

And prayers and peace be upon our Prophet Mohammad, the Arab, Hashemite and Faithful Prophet.

Honourable Senators,

Honourable Deputies,

Peace and God's Mercy and Blessings be upon you.

In the name of God and with His blessings we inaugurate the second session of the 14th Parliament, asking of God the Almighty to help all of us shoulder our responsibility, continue our march, complete the building-up of the modern state and achieve comprehensive development through reform, modernisation, and development, and preparing and enabling the Jordanian individual to actively participate in formulating the present and the future in a manner that is based on a firm belief in Jordan First and Jordan Always, and that will and resolve are stronger than all challenges, and that we all owe it to Jordan to make it the model nation, the example to be followed in the region.

The convening of your honourable assembly today is a consolidation of the democratic approach we have chosen for ourselves, and to which we are committed on our path to a society of freedom, pluralism, justice, equal opportunities and the rule of law.

Honourable Senators,

Honourable Deputies,

It is a good occasion for us to review and evaluate our five-year march in which we achieved much of what we aspired to achieve, with God's blessings, and in spite of the unstable conditions in the region. Indicators show a rise in the rate of economic growth and in exports and investment, as well as an invigoration of the stock market, a reduction in debts and an increase in foreign exchange reserves. This assures us that we are on the right track. But still, what is required of us is to intensify the efforts and accelerate the implementation of the plans and programmes which we have designed to achieve the development we aspire to. These plans and programmes stem from our vision for our national interest and from the conscience and aspirations of our people to whose service I have dedicated my life, and they are an embodiment of our free will and not a reaction or a response to conditions beyond this will. Doubting the feasibility of these plans and programmes or their Jordanian identity without offering a practical alternative cannot be categorised except as being acts of outbidding or cover-ups of foreign agendas.

From the first day of my shouldering responsibility, I took it upon myself to be amongst the sons and daughters of our kind and generous people, and to visit them, whenever conditions allow and wherever they are, in order to listen to them directly and to acquaint myself, firsthand, with their conditions, problems, concerns and aspirations, and to carry these in my conscience always.

And I am here to share with you some of what I heard from those good honest people. A party member told me: “We have suffered all through our life from economic recession;” another citizen said: “Poverty and unemployment are a sword threatening our necks;” a third citizen said, “We heard a lot about development, but saw nothing of it.”

From these direct encounters with people, I am convinced that the fruits of what we achieved during these years, although important, have not yet reached all sectors of society, and that citizens have doubts concerning the ability of the state to fulfill promises and implement the plans and programmes about which we are talking. I know that the difficult unstable conditions that engulf the region around us affect our situation negatively, but we should not allow these conditions to be an excuse to justify the negligence or errors that sometimes occur; rather, these conditions should stimulate us to intensify and double our efforts, and to accelerate our achievements, so that we can overcome the negative and future effects of these conditions, and be a stronger supporter of the causes of our nation and brethren, especially in Palestine and Iraq.

Honourable Senator,

Honourable Deputies,

We are facing a new phase in the march of reform, modernisation and development, and we have to identify the priorities at this stage and concentrate our efforts on these priorities to complete the qualitative transformation to which we aspire.

My first concern has always been to improve the quality of life of every citizen, in this country. Therefore it is imperative to fight poverty and unemployment, and to implement reform and correctional measures that would produce basic and permanent solutions to these problems, through: Reviewing training and educational programmes, procuring additional funding and new job opportunities, enhancing the individual's respect for work values away from “the shame culture,” giving special attention to the development of governorates, and, improving and upgrading the agriculture sector which provides employment opportunities for many families and individuals.

Improving the standard of living for citizens also requires paying attention to healthcare, which is every citizen's right, male or female. A healthy human being who has no worries concerning his health or that of his children and family is the one who is able to work and produce. The government has already started expanding health insurance coverage to include all citizens with special attention to mother and child programmes.

As for the development of human resources, it is amongst our priorities in the upcoming stage, because Jordan's truest and greatest wealth is the Jordanian human being. And so my government will invest human resources within the context of the comprehensiveness of the knowledge-based economy which includes computerisation, rehabilitation of teachers, improving and developing curricula, and upgrading the standards of research and higher education.

Honourable Senators,

Honourable Deputies,

Investment is a key factor in the development process; thus it is imperative to encourage investment and maximise its contribution to development by implementing reform packages that would help attract foreign investment, and encourage Jordanian investors, and promotional campaigns that would introduce the world to our country's available opportunities and capabilities.

As for tourism, mass media and culture, they are priorities that are closely linked with investment; therefore a strategy for each of these sectors should be prepared so that each can support our national economy.

As for administrative reform, we call for profound reformist change in all aspects of administration and government institutions, one that is based on efficiency and accountability and rehabilitating human resources which are the basic component of the administrative process.

As for our judicial body, of which we are proud, it will receive from us all the necessary attention to preserve its independence, and to support it with more qualified personnel who would increase its capability for achievement.

Honourable Senators,

Honourable Deputies,

We have called before for the activation of political life and parties, and focused on the importance of the role of youth and the role of women in our political life; we called for a permanent comprehensive national dialogue that would enhance the concept of pluralism and respect for the opinions of others; and this for us is an irreversible priority, that must go hand-in-hand with administrative development, taking into consideration that progress and economic openness contribute to political development.

Here, it must be born in mind that the priority that comes ahead of all is Jordan's security and stability. Without security and stability, development would not be possible, and applying the rule of law to all is what guarantees the realisation of justice and equality. I take this occasion to greet — with love, appreciation and pride — our sons and daughters in our armed and security forces. They are the nation's shield and the watchful eyes for its security and stability; we will work towards reshaping these forces in accordance with our vision for its modernisation and upgrading its efficiency, while preserving its size and numbers, so that it will remain — as it has always been — a role model in efficiency, excellence and belonging.

Honourable Senators,

Honourable Deputies,

The ambitions of all Jordanians are great; they match their resolve. Jordanians entrusted us and your good selves with the responsibility of leading our march and realising these noble ambitions and goals. Let us all rise to the level of this august responsibility. To that end we need concerted joint efforts and the highest degree of cooperation and complementarity between all authorities, especially the legislative and the executive so that relations between them would be founded on mutual trust and full cooperation, free from personal ends or partisan or narrow geographical affiliations. The essence of such relations should be committed to our higher national interest away from taking positions or exchanging accusations.

Let everyone be absolutely certain and highly confident that we march hand-in-hand, with sure steps on the right path, and that the realisation of our goals will match what Jordanians are — the Jordanians of resolve and strong will. Tomorrow will be brighter, God willing.

The Almighty God is the provider of success.

Peace and God's mercy and blessings be upon you.

Who is the personne kissing the king' head? :cool:

Attachments

• 3231I.jpg
    3231I.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,666
Safaa Batin said:
Any body saw him in the speech of the throne, Did you notice that he made his very long speach without looking to a paper.
He may have been using a teleprompter.... he has used them in the past.

Safaa Batin said:
It depends how long the speach was. Did he was at home when he made the speech of the throne? If so then he could have a TV in front of him and he was looking to the text as journalist do in TV.
I saw his last speech in London, he didn't read from a paper. Maybe he learn it by heart or repeat it several times at home. I beleive this how it works at the beginning, and when the personne gain experience he will not look to a paper but still he has to think about main points before.

queenkat101 said:
He may have been using a teleprompter.... he has used them in the past.
I was just going to say that. He has used teleprompters regularly for some years now. Even his father, whose command of Arabic was superb, always read the speech from the Throne, because it is not 'his' speech, but the Government's.

shelley said:
I was just going to say that. He has used teleprompters regularly for some years now. Even his father, whose command of Arabic was superb, always read the speech from the Throne, because it is not 'his' speech, but the Government's.
Teleprompters and speech which he didn't write, it's easy than what I thought :)

abir said:
Teleprompters and speech which he didn't write, it's easy than what I thought :)
Much....that is why I really only respect politicians, and kings and princes where it is relevent, who have the command of both language and subject to take questions and answers where the the questions are completely unplanned. Now that is a skill that really separates the sheep from the goats. Prince Hassan is hugely skilled at this as is evidenced by his frequent appearance on live talk shows on the various non Jordanian televsion channels, as was his late brother.

why has muna attended the opening,she's not a member of royal family while other members like noors (both the princess and the queen)are not present????

shelley said:
No king Abdullah was not looking at any thing during his speach, even if there was on for backup I don't know, but I observed him carefully he was not looking to any thing.

Some more pics...

Attachments

• 290223.jpeg
    290223.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 587
  • 290226.jpeg
    290226.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 575
  • 290228.jpeg
    290228.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 615
  • 290231.jpeg
    290231.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 613
  • 290232.jpeg
    290232.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 290233.jpeg
    290233.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 494
  • 290234.jpeg
    290234.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 596
Could it be Dr. Ahmad Hilayel--Minister of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs???

pdas1201 said:
Could it be Dr. Ahmad Hilayel--Minister of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs???
No idea. I thought it was the speaker of the house but it wasn't.

Back
Top Bottom