King Hussein and his wives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that journalist (I think you posted the article, it was written in in the 70's after QA's death) that interviewed KH? He came on to her, but she did not return the advances. I really admired her. I really think she had herself together. SHe probably could have been Queen, but yet she immediately adn totally knew that she did not want that.

maryshawn said:
Being Queen or royalty in any country is not easy because of lack of privacy and gossip and personal issues which have to be worked out largely on one's own because to confide in anyone risks that conversation being repeated and made public. There are many, many "perks" but sometimes the price is just too high?????
I agree with much of this, but I think not all members of the JRF are as lacking in confidantes as QN has claimed she is. Most people need other people in their lives. . .that just seems to be the human condition. But I would imagine they are ver-r-r-r-ry careful about whom they let in, and I bet they put a high value on discretion and loyalty in their personal relationships. They are probably understandably very cautious. Blabbermouths need not apply. ;)

I agree totally. KH made the exact same approaches he made to QN and yet this woman was "together" enough to know pursuing anything further with KH--no matter how charming or lost or attentive he seemed at the time--was a bad idea. History does tend to repeat itself and he had a history of not being a faithful or devoted husband. I admired her a lot too for having the common sense and--I don't know what you call it but she wasn't guided by any need to be in the spotlight, have tons of money, have the title of Queen,.....--and so she got on the plane and went home. Very wise woman.
Reina said:
You know that journalist (I think you posted the article, it was written in in the 70's after QA's death) that interviewed KH? He came on to her, but she did not return the advances. I really admired her. I really think she had herself together. SHe probably could have been Queen, but yet she immediately adn totally knew that she did not want that.

QN was definitely an "extreme" in this. She said on one of her Larry King appearances she knew how lucky she was to have a circle of friends who'd been her friends since high school and would be there for her till her dying day. But then she talks about how she would never confide in any of them, including her sister, as "they couldn't understand." That's not giving her "friends" nor her sister a lot of credit. Sure, she lived a different life but the fundamental elements of being married to a challenging individual, raising kids and stepkids, dealing with extended families, finding purpose in one's work,......these are all issues I'm sure they could've understood quite easily and perhaps helped her with. QN is definitely a loner and obviously likes it that way.
papillon said:
I agree with much of this, but I think not all members of the JRF are as lacking in confidantes as QN has claimed she is. Most people need other people in their lives. . .that just seems to be the human condition. But I would imagine they are ver-r-r-r-ry careful about whom they let in, and I bet they put a high value on discretion and loyalty in their personal relationships. They are probably understandably very cautious. Blabbermouths need not apply. ;)

Can she not confide in her mom. That is the number one human being I confide in (God being the only deity). But yoyu know soemtimes I feel sorry for her mom. SHe is a long-suffering woman. And you know what else-I cna kind of see the same pattern that is in QN in her mom. Her mom, Doris (?), stayed with Najeeb (?), QN"s dad, even when he treated her bad. It is like she was dependent on him and did not stand up for herself. ASNd so this is the way with QN. Of course KH probably wasn't as bad as NAjeeb. But this goes to show that women need to be confident and sure of themselves so they don't have to depend on abusive men and stay in demeaning situations. I know I have learned this from watching QN and others and slo what my mom and church has taught me. (watching oprah helps too:rolleyes:)

maryshawn said:
QN was definitely an "extreme" in this. She said on one of her Larry King appearances she knew how lucky she was to have a circle of friends who'd been her friends since high school and would be there for her till her dying day. But then she talks about how she would never confide in any of them, including her sister, as "they couldn't understand." That's not giving her "friends" nor her sister a lot of credit. Sure, she lived a different life but the fundamental elements of being married to a challenging individual, raising kids and stepkids, dealing with extended families, finding purpose in one's work,......these are all issues I'm sure they could've understood quite easily and perhaps helped her with. QN is definitely a loner and obviously likes it that way.

I doubt Queen Noor didnt know that King Hussein was the play boy type.
But the thing is, a lot of women are either attracted to men like that or think that they will be the ones to change their man and make him settle down.
Ofcourse the prospect of being a future queen is no less of a motivating factor.
When Noor talks about her late husband now it really does sound like she loved him deeply, whether that had anything to do with his cancer, I dont know.
But there is something called being responsible for your own actions.
If Noor didnt confide in her family and friends than that was her decision, whatever the reason behind it. You can't put up walls around yourself and then be surprised that you're alone. Even friends and family cant force anyone to be forthcoming with their feelings and problems.

I also think that ther is a confidence/emotianal probelm. I think these type of women cater to men who are controlling (it can be sexy, I have had my days when I felt like having a man who was in control, but then again I was only a teen and had a lot of growing up to do. I am only 20 so I still ahve some growing up to do, but at least now I know that I like men my own age. WHew!:D) ANyway yeah...these women tend to not have a good relationship with their father, so in consequence they marry someone who is like their father, whom they still seek to gain acceptance and love from

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I doubt Queen Noor didnt know that King Hussein was the play boy type.
But the thing is, a lot of women are either attracted to men like that or think that they will be the ones to change their man and make him settle down.
Ofcourse the prospect of being a future queen is no less of a motivating factor.
When Noor talks about her late husband now it really does sound like she loved him deeply, whether that had anything to do with his cancer, I dont know.
But there is something called being responsible for your own actions.
If Noor didnt confide in her family and friends than that was her decision, whatever the reason behind it. You can't put up walls around yourself and then be surprised that you're alone. Even friends and family cant force anyone to be forthcoming with their feelings and problems.

maryshawn said:

This seems to be a rather contradictory statement by Noor. She's "lucky" to have had friends who have been at her side for more than 20 years but yet she can't really trust them with her innermost thoughts, concerns, or feelings. So then why does she have these friends? :confused:

While Noor is/was in a unique position as Queen, a role that most people would be hard pressed to really understand or identify with, a good friend doesn't have to understand your position 100% to support you. She just has to listen to your concerns, problems, fears, and feelings.

My friends will never know 100% what it is like to be me, or me to be them. But we still turn to each other when we are each frustrated, concerned, scared or whatever.

It must be lonely to isolate yourself as much as Noor has done. It is certainly not how I'd like to live my life.

Reina said:
who's this story about?muna?

No. It is an interview with KH. It was a little after QA died too. It was posted somewhere in this subforum though.

Well she had an interview with KH so it was about alot of things. The journalist said in her article that after teh interview KH flirted with her and invited her to stay in Jordan. But she did not. She had sense. Therefore I am not talking about any of KH's wives.

Reina said:
Well she had an interview with KH so it was about alot of things. The journalist said in her article that after teh interview KH flirted with her and invited her to stay in Jordan. But she did not. She had sense. Therefore I am not talking about any of KH's wives.
and who was the journalist?Oriana Fallacci?

i don't remember. If I have time I will look for it. others can to. I think maryshawm posted it though.

La la said:
:D I don't think he had that bad taste in women.
you know in all her interviews with high ranking officials you can read that she found all men having crush on her and found all women jealous of her!!!!!!!!!!!:D
I dont think a sensible man like KH'd put his position danger with flirting with some journolist who'd spread the story everywhere!

Last edited:
The journalist's name was Celeste Fremon. She is/was a writer for the L.A. Times. Now this is a different journalist than the one KH was rumored to be involved with in 1991. That one was 25 and a Jordanian journalist in the Diwan. I think I remember reading her name somewhere but can't locate it right now.

I totally agree with you, Genevieve, this is a very contradictory statement and, you are right; people who are your friends don't have to be living 24/7 in your skin to be empathetic and understanding. If I were her friend--though I think she defines the concept of "friendship" far different than I do--I would be a bit upset with her for stating "friends couldn't understand." It really is a slam on their abilities to act and be real friends who are there for you, even if it's just to listen. I think it would be very sad and difficult to isolate oneself the way QN does. She says her sister, Alexa, is her best friend but even they don't seem particularly close.

I also think QN has an odd relationship with her mother. She goes out of her way to talk about her father and his achievements--kind of puts him up on a pedestal--but scarcely mentions her mom except to say she "resented my fascination with my arab roots" and "was very upset about saying our family was 'moderately dysfunctional' in an interview." Suffice to say, I don't think QN treats her kindly--which is very unfortunate. While we will never know all the circumstances of her life when she was young, the dynamic in her family seems to be her father was very ambitious and moved the family a lot around the country and also had an eye for other women. I don't know if Doris Halaby got fed up and filed for the divorce or if he did. He was remarried twice before he died; I don't believe she remarried at all but could be wrong. Neither QN nor her mom are getting any younger; it would be nice if they established some sort of supportive relationship now. I can't remember QN mentioning one kind word about her mother. Really sad and hurtful for Doris Halaby IMO.

And QN knew exactly what she was getting into when she married. Even her father told her KH was a womanizer and court life would be challenging because of its politics. She married someone who was a lot like her father and, by doing so, set herself up for a lot of hurt and anxiety. Sometimes her obsession with appearance and clothes seems more inspired by insecurity than greed. Her husband told her he loved it when women wore beautiful clothing and told her Valentino dressed QA--and off she goes to Valentino who dressed her exclusively for 3 years. I also wonder if the "ghost" of QA was something she found hard to deal with privately and in her public role. Here she is a newcomer to Jordan and QA was still very revered--and you know on some level the only reason you are KH's wife is because QA died. Must have been challenging.
Genevieve said:
This seems to be a rather contradictory statement by Noor. She's "lucky" to have had friends who have been at her side for more than 20 years but yet she can't really trust them with her innermost thoughts, concerns, or feelings. So then why does she have these friends? :confused:

While Noor is/was in a unique position as Queen, a role that most people would be hard pressed to really understand or identify with, a good friend doesn't have to understand your position 100% to support you. She just has to listen to your concerns, problems, fears, and feelings.

My friends will never know 100% what it is like to be me, or me to be them. But we still turn to each other when we are each frustrated, concerned, scared or whatever.

It must be lonely to isolate yourself as much as Noor has done. It is certainly not how I'd like to live my life.

Marriages and Divorces of Late King

Hi,

I recently came across and article where Princess Haya talks about her marriage and status as a second wife and uses her fathers as an example.

In the article she says King Hussein was not divorced from Princess Muna when he married Queen Alia? When did he divorce her, if at all? Might that be why she holds a higher standing in Jordan today (seemingly having replace Queen Noor)?

Princess Haya of Jordan: A modern Arabian tale | Mail Online

That is an interesting article. I find it very interesting that she says Princess Muna was as much a mother to her as anyone (and she doesn't mention Noor as a mother figure at all). It probably speaks to Princess Muna's generosity of spirit that she could embrace this orphaned child.

I pretty much figured that Princess Muna's recent dominance came from the fact that she was the mother of the king. Maybe I'm wrong?

I pretty much figured that Princess Muna's recent dominance came from the fact that she was the mother of the king. Maybe I'm wrong?

You are right. That's the reason.

When King Hussein married Alia Toukan on December 24, 1972 it was officially announced that he had divorced Princess Muna on December 21.

All official sources mention that there was a divorce between King Hussein and Princess Muna, maybe it just happened later than we thought it did.
The Family tree on the late King's website makes note of the divorce The Hashemite Royal Family

I also find it interesting that she mentioned that Princess Muna has been a more of mother figure to her. Wasn't she raised by Noor and Hussein?

All official documents mention Princess Muna and King Hussein having been divorced when he married Queen Alia. Which is why I found it interesting that she said the opposite in the interview. I would figure she would know more or better than anyone on the subject which is why I was so confused!

Thank you for clearing that up!

All official documents mention Princess Muna and King Hussein having been divorced when he married Queen Alia. Which is why I found it interesting that she said the opposite in the interview. I would figure she would know more or better than anyone on the subject which is why I was so confused!

Thank you for clearing that up!
Perhaps they had divorced on paper but were still married in the eyes of God??

This is a rather intriguing question; every single source I've ever read on King Hussein and his wives clearly state he never had more than one wife at a time. It is also clearly stated the King divorced Princess Muna days before he married Queen Alia.

I also find it interesting Princess Haya names Muna as a mother figure, not Noor. It has always been my impression that Queen Noor raised Alia's children after their mother's untimely death. Still, I guess such a high praise from a daughter of your former husband speaks volumes of Princess Muna's character. My respect towards her has certainly gone up.

^ that's strange that haya names muna as her mother figure. wasn't Noor who raise her and I thought they have a close relationship.

Anyway, I think all Hussein's wives are beautiful, especially Dina, Alia and Noor. But I think Noor is his favorite, is that right?

^ that's strange that haya names muna as her mother figure. wasn't Noor who raise her and I thought they have a close relationship.

Anyway, I think all Hussein's wives are beautiful, especially Dina, Alia and Noor. But I think Noor is his favorite, is that right?

Queen Alia was his favorite too but she has passed away in 1977 ,,, And yes Queen Noor was his favorite that's why he stayed with her 20 years .

I don't think King Hussein broke up with her because she was Jewish,
because Princess Muna was Jewish born !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom