Crown Princess Mary of Denmark Visits Jordan: August 20-22, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, Duke. As if the only thing these children need is a royal hug and smile. Disgusting, IMO. And we live in the 'era of information', everybody knows what is going on in Syria and everywhere else in the world. Diana could 'raise awareness' back in the 80s and 90s, because the times were different. These ladies had better find something more productive to do.

I agree, Duke. As if the only thing these children need is a royal hug and smile. Disgusting, IMO. And we live in the 'era of information', everybody knows what is going on in Syria and everywhere else in the world. Diana could 'raise awareness' back in the 80s and 90s, because the times were different. These ladies had better find something more productive to do.

Like what?

Syria is on the main news several times a week - and then forgotten by the next cookie.
Syrian refugees? Who gives a hoot? Several million refugees, that's an abstract incomprehensible figure to most people. (And fortunately for that)! So they are ignored, it's easier to relate to someone who's dog has been run over by the neighbor. That we can comprehend.
But refugees in Syria? That's far away and archived under: "none of our business".

What Mary has done is to put a face on the refugees and their plight, even for only a few days. Also among those who usually let the news go in one ear and out the other.
Tell me what Mary could have done that was more productive than this?

In contrast to you, I imagine, I've been to refugee camps myself in the 90's.
So permit me to be blunt: You don't know what you are talking about.

And Mary putting focus on refugees and women who have been abused, is very much in line with the current governments policy on aiding refugees and offering assistance to humanitarian organisations working in the aftermath of the Arabic Spring.

This is what I like about Mary, bringing awareness of difficult situations that need to be highlighted. Fantastic that she draws comparisons to 'real life' we often forget that refugees are the displaced, worried mums and dads, ordinary citizens scared of the conflict. I really hope for resolution.

And that is exactly what is the point of the visit. And it has been successful. Mary is good (also because of the fact that she's the most covered royal in the DRF) to create a lot of attention about neglected situations and she is good at getting her message out to the individual Dane. The Danish media have covered Marys days in Jordan closely - also in the news in the evenings.

Mary's visit in Jordan is also the frontpage of our newspaper B.T. today.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/935946_706729759354245_1901387289_n.jpg

Other articles

Hola! Mary de Dinamarca, evacuada de un campamento de refugiados por estar en peligro su seguridad

B.T. Mary midt i tragedien: Nu er tre millioner syriske børn på flugt eller fordrevet - Udland | www.bt.dk

HerogNu Mary trøster flygtningekvinder - HER&NU

Last edited:
What Mary has done is to put a face on the refugees and their plight, even for only a few days.

Tell me what Mary could have done that was more productive than this?

For a couple days, exactly. You basically just supported my argument, so I don't need to add anything here. :D

I'll tell you: given the fact that this particular lady has shown no specific talents, she could just sit at home with her many children, who are so young and need her so much. :flowers:

You may go on fantasizing about this Saint Mary of yours, but you can't convince us that she raised awareness of this tragic topic and situation, that has been going on for almost two years now. Unless the Danes are indeed as slow as your Crown Princess once described them and still haven't got a clue about the civil war in Syria. And you can also go on distorting my words, no problem. ;)

Last edited:
For a couple days, exactly. You basically just supported my argument, so I don't need to add anything here. :D

I'll tell you: given the fact that this particular lady has shown no specific talents, she could just sit at home with her many children, who are so young and need her so much. :flowers:

So little attention is worse than no attention?

And Mary should rather stay at home and look after her children? - Children who at least have a home and a mother, who are safe and whose relatives are not getting killed...
Rather than try, despite her lack of talents, try to make just a little difference? However insignificant it may be?

We look at things differently I guess. You may end up needing help too one day. If that happens let's hope not too many think it's better to stay at home.

@NoorML

That would at least be something,yes. Most monarchies are pointless, the Danish one seems on top of that......:)

So little attention is worse than no attention?

And Mary should rather stay at home and look after her children? - Children who at least have a home and a mother, who are safe and whose relatives are not getting killed...
Rather than try, despite her lack of talents, try to make just a little difference? However insignificant it may be?

We look at things differently I guess. You may end up needing help too one day. If that happens let's hope not too many think it's better to stay at home.

Mother Mary may come one day to safe us all,but let's not think it will be Mary Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, dear Muhler. I love a dashing Prada outfit, but I don't think it can safe little kids in war areas....... :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, we all know that Saint Diana and Saint Elizabeth Taylor were the only ones who could raise awareness (with totally pure motives of course), everyone else who tries simply has to be insulted.:D

Cp Mary is the patron of the Danish Refugee Council, so IMO it's quite natural that she highlights their work abroad (e.g.: in Jordan) and in DK (don't worry Duke, she will open a new DRC language center in DK this month). And helps them raise awareness and not least money for their causes.

And this is the information we got about the DRC's work with Syrian refugees:
The Crown Princess is the patron of the Danish Refugee Council, which is in charge of distributing basic relief aid in refugee camps, both in neighbouring countries but also in Syria. The Danish Refugee Council and the Danish Red Cross are among the few relief organizations that have the Syrian regime’s permission to operate in the country and therefore play a central role in the international community’s humanitarian efforts.

Mother Mary may come one day to safe us all,but let's not think it will be Mary Donaldson. Don't get me wrong, dear Muhler. I love a dashing Prada outfit, but I don't think it can safe little kids in war areas....... :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Pity you :)

Any reminder of a crisis is a good thing for those suffering in the refugee camps. They are human beings who are forced from their lives and herded into pitiful circumstances at the whim of others, herded behind barbed wire.
But hey... who gives a damn 'mother Mary' just wanted more frequent flyer bonuses.:) :)

Get a life people! How disgusting, I hope you are never in this circumstance and have to rely on perfumed, Prada wearing 'princesses' to remind the world you are not animals and don't deserve this :)

If Mary managed to give these people 5 minutes of humanity and remind the world of their misfortune then she has been a major success :) :) :) :)

"have to rely on perfumed, Prada wearing 'princesses' to remind the world you are not animals and don't deserve this"

I hope you do realize that this reflects your own view of these people and not anybody else's and it's the most disgusting thing that has been said here so far. You are so delusional... The Syrians' drama has been on the news and newspapers, all over the world, every single day for the past two years at least. What is the purpose of Mary's visit? It's a pointless, desperate PR move that added absolutely nothing to these people's pain and sorrows.

Since Diana was mentioned above, I must say that back then at least we learnt a thing or two about Angola, for example. That was a fact, people in the West didn't even know where Angola was, let alone about the landmines and so on. Now what is the purpose? Tell me, who hasn't heard YET that there's a civil war in Syria and thousands of refugees and famine, diseases and so on? Know what, I would be hugely insulted by this visit if I were one of these women.

Last edited:

Prada? Good grief!

Oh, don't worry, I don't get you wrong.
But let me ask you a little question and you don't have to answer. Did you, during this week think for just one moment of the Syrian refugees before you came here and read about Mary's visit? - You do now. If for no other reason than to put Mary down.

If you find Mary's effort inadequate, how about you get your finger out and do something yourself? They can always use volunteers at refugee camps.
You might even grow up...

Prada? Good grief!

But let me ask you a little question and you don't have to answer. Did you, during this week think for just one moment of the Syrian refugees before you came here and read about Mary's visit? - You do now. If for no other reason than to put Mary down.

If you find Mary's effort inadequate, how about you get your finger out and do something yourself? They can always use volunteers at refugee camps.

Touché

Thank you for seeing this for what it is and no more :)

Prada? Good grief!

Well said Muhler, I second that statement.

"have to rely on perfumed, Prada wearing 'princesses' to remind the world you are not animals and don't deserve this"

I hope you do realize that this reflects your own view of these people and not anybody else's and it's the most disgusting thing that has been said here so far. You are so delusional... The Syrians' drama has been on the news and newspapers, all over the world, every single day for the past two years at least. What is the purpose of Mary's visit? It's a pointless, desperate PR move that added absolutely nothing to these people's pain and sorrows.

Since Diana was mentioned above, I must say that back then at least we learnt a thing or two about Angola, for example. That was a fact, people in the West didn't even know where Angola was, let alone about the landmines and so on. Now what is the purpose? Tell me, who hasn't heard YET that there's a civil war in Syria and thousands of refugees and famine, diseases and so on? Know what, I would be hugely insulted by this visit if I were one of these women.

The purpose is they should NOT be forgotten ever. I would not be hugely insulted if it reminds people they are still there and the crisis is not over.

Well, Diana is dead. She can't help anyone.

Surely that shouldn't hinder anyone else from trying to put focus on an issue?

You are back to let's do nothing, because it won't matter anyway. I don't agree on that view. Anything, no matter how insignificant, is better than nothing.
Syria has been on the news, on and off, for two years now. So what do you suggest? Nothing?
I don't blame you for not helping the Syrian refugees, what I do strongly object to is that you put down the effort of someone who is trying to put focus on the issue.
As if the refugees would be insulted. They have often lost everything and they are living in a camp, they have better things to worry about. They want help. And if it's a foreign Crown Princess, wearing Prada or not, so be it.

You have absolutely no idea about the priorities of refugees.

"I don't blame you for not helping the Syrian refugees"

And how do you know that? Oh sorry, I forgot... You obviously believe that people who help others, bring cameras with them, record everything and then splash it over the internet, boasting about it on the various forums (which is a klassy thing to do). :yuk:

What I tried to point out here to you royal fans is that Mary's visit was completely unnecessary, did not serve any meaningful purpose and did not highlight anything or helped anybody. The British journalists and reporters have been doing a great job, risking their lives to report back from Syria (I will not get tired of repeating this) every single day since early 2011. As an educated British citizen, who knows how to read and thoroughly comprehends what she's reading and hearing, I don't need an ambitious woman, who caught herself a Danish prince, to inform me or remind me of the drama of these unfortunate people in late 2013.

I've been crystal clear. That's all folks! :wave:

It's not often I read our discussions and think we really do care about the world's pressing issues (rather than how to curtsey, fashion, princes having opinions, paps, affairs, drinking and smoking of the royals, etc.). So :clap: for having the Discussion!

Mary made an effort, whatever her reason, and none of us can know what is in her heart. She did not solve the problem. No single person can or will. History tell us that. The poor and the powerless suffer the most - history sadly tells us that, as well.

Sorry for such a dour post - but it was the rest of you that made me think about this rather than tiaras... Thank you for reminding me.

What I tried to point out here to you royal fans is that Mary's visit was completely unnecessary, did not serve any meaningful purpose and did not highlight anything or helped anybody. The British journalists and reporters have been doing a great job, risking their lives to report back from Syria (I will not get tired of repeating this) every single day since early 2011. As an educated British citizen, who knows how to read and thoroughly comprehends what she's reading and hearing, I don't need an ambitious woman, who caught herself a Danish prince, to inform me or remind me of the drama of these unfortunate people in late 2013.
Well, there was a civil war going on in Angola since 1975 (+ international media coverage) but you didn't know where this country was until an ambitious woman who caught herself a British prince (= Diana) visited it in 1997?
And I guess in your estimation Prince Harry's recent visit to Angola was also completely unnecessary because you know about Angola and landmines since 1997? Did you complain about him as well?

I have been aware of the plight of the Syrian refugees from the beginning. Yet I won't be joining the cynics in proclaiming that Mary's visit serves no purpose. It may not have a global impact but it will no doubt highlight the hopelessness of the situation to her countrymen. And yes, there will be those who will watch the news clips and forget about it all in a few days. But there will also be those who will be feel the need to help out in whatever capacity they can.
I don't see anyone claiming that Mary was the first to get there or that others haven't been helping out or raising awareness long before her. The point is that she was doing her part of the job, as patron of the Danish Refugee Council.
Surely it's the refugees who deserve our attention, it's rather cynical to turn the situation into a competition between who showed up to visit them and what they were wearing.

"I don't blame you for not helping the Syrian refugees"

And how do you know that? Oh sorry, I forgot... You obviously believe that people who help others, bring cameras with them, record everything and then splash it over the internet, boasting about it on the various forums (which is a klassy thing to do). :yuk:

As far as I know, Mary hasn't been boasting about anything on any forum. Nor has the Danish Foreign Ministry. - It has been widely reported in primarily the Danish press and as a consequence here.

I'm glad you are an educated and well informed British citizen and that you have recieved adequate information about the situation in Syria as reported by British reporters.
However, there is a world outside Britain. There are less well informed non-British citizens living in that world and some of us don't mind being made aware of an issue by non-Britons.

Sarcasm aside, Mary went to Jordan hand in hand with the Danish government. Her visit has caused a lot of attention in Denmark and some attention in other countries.
No one here has compared her to Diana, before you brought it up. No one has claimed that this should make headlines in Britain or for that matter even be noticed in Britain. It is merely reported here on a royal forum.

Denmark is admittedly a small country, some would say insignificant, however if the press coverage Mary got here in DK means that we Danes can help just a little more, is that bad?

If the Danish Minister for Development had gone alone, there would at best have been an article on page seven. Because of Mary it's been headline news for days.

Again, I don't blame you for doing nothing, you've stated your reasons, fair enough. What I do object against is that you put down a (foreign) royal who is putting a serious issue on the agenda in another country.
I don't complain when a British royal do something similar, so what's your problem?

Last edited:
As far as I know, Mary hasn't been boasting about anything on any forum. Nor has the Danish Foreign Ministry. - It has been widely reported in primarily the Danish press and as a consequence here.

I'm glad you are an educated and well informed British citizen and that you have recieved adequate information about the situation in Syria as reported by British reporters.
However, there is a world outside Britain. There are less well informed non-British citizens living in that world and some of us don't mind being made aware of an issue by non-Britons.

Sarcasm aside, Mary went to Jordan hand in hand with the Danish government. Her visit has caused a lot of attention in Denmark and some attention in other countries.
No one here has compared her to Diana, before you brought it up. No one has claimed that this should make headlines in Britain or for that matter even be noticed in Britain. It is merely reported here on a royal forum.

Denmark is admittedly a small country, some would say insignificant, however if the press coverage Mary got here in DK means that we Danes can help just a little more, is that bad?

If the Danish Minister for Development had gone alone, there would at best have been an article on page seven. Because of Mary it's been headline news for days.

Again, I don't blame you for doing nothing, you've stated your reasons, fair enough. What I do object against is that you put down a (foreign) royal who is putting a serious issue on the agenda in another country.
I don't complain when a British royal do something similar, so what's your problem?

Well said Muhler, Well said, it seems that some people think everything the BRF does is holy but anything else done by any other royal family is just for PR.:bang:

Ricarda and Mulher, I completely agree with the last posts of both of you.

Mary's visit may not have raised any awarness to the educated brits and I'm sure that was never the purpose. The awarness was aimed at the Danes and it seems to be working since the visit seems to be having a great coverage in the Danish media.
But even if it doesn't translate in more attention and more help given to the syrians, calling Mary's visit a desperate PR move is completly foolish. Mary was there as a Patron of the Danish Refugee Council, which is very well-intended organization and very good choice of patronage to every royal. I aplaud Mary's involvement with the organization. Mary's visit to the refugee camp is part of her role as the patron of the DRC and it's not different than a royal visiting a hospital, or school or any other institution like that that she/he is a patron of. We're all very aware of the importance of health care and education, aren't we? I'm sure we don't need any royal to remind us of its importance in late 2013. And yet, I don't see anyone here in this forum criticizing any royal when visiting a hospital or a school.

Syria has been in the front pages of the online version of my newspaper every week since the conflict started. i presume this has been the case in other european media also.

a UN committee is over there at the moment judging on the use of chemical weapons. if 99% of the people around the world heard about syria this week, it is because of this UN field trip and NOT because of mary's visit.

personally, i like seeing royals visiting other countries and that's why i visit this thread. but i certainly DO NOT believe, like the previous posters here, that this visit had much impact in the people's perception of the syrian conflict or on its refugees. with this being said, maybe a donation of money directly to the UN would go a much longer way than this visit: particularly considering the costs of security, of plane and hotels for mary and all her staff, of her designer clothes. just that amount of money would make these refugees happier than a visit by yet another diplomatic representant who comes, smiles, takes pictures and leaves back to his/her 5 star hotel.

"

Im sorry, but have you asked everyone if it didnt help them?

And Im sure as an "educated British citizen" you know how to not open a link and ignore topics dont you?

I guess every royal from all families should just stay home, since we all know about the troubles in the world. :whistling:

did the someone from JRF receive the Princess yet?

Ricarda and Mulher, I completely agree with the last posts of both of you.

Mary's visit may not have raised any awarness to the educated brits and I'm sure that was never the purpose. The awarness was aimed at the Danes and it seems to be working since the visit seems to be having a great coverage in the Danish media.
But even if it doesn't translate in more attention and more help given to the syrians, calling Mary's visit a desperate PR move is completly foolish. Mary was there as a Patron of the Danish Refugee Council, which is very well-intended organization and very good choice of patronage to every royal. I aplaud Mary's involvement with the organization. Mary's visit to the refugee camp is part of her role as the patron of the DRC and it's not different than a royal visiting a hospital, or school or any other institution like that that she/he is a patron of. We're all very aware of the importance of health care and education, aren't we? I'm sure we don't need any royal to remind us of its importance in late 2013. And yet, I don't see anyone here in this forum criticizing any royal when visiting a hospital or a school.

very well said. Mary went there in her role as patron of the DRC. :flowers:
No, Mary did not solve the crisis, no one single person can, but if she helped make at least one person aware, who turns around and donates or volunteers, then i think it did serve a purpose.

very well said. Mary went there in her role as patron of the DRC. :flowers:
No, Mary did not solve the crisis, no one single person can, but if she helped make at least one person aware, who turns around and donates or volunteers, then i think it did serve a purpose.

really? unless they donate enormous amounts of money to compensate for the cost of this trip, or volunteer equal amounts of time, it won't really compensate.

really? unless they donate enormous amounts of money to compensate for the cost of this trip, or volunteer equal amounts of time, it won't really compensate.

okay then, everybody go home:flowers:

sorry i just think even the smallest amount can help. :)

Syria has been in the front pages of the online version of my newspaper every week since the conflict started. i presume this has been the case in other european media also.

a UN committee is over there at the moment judging on the use of chemical weapons. if 99% of the people around the world heard about syria this week, it is because of this UN field trip and NOT because of mary's visit.

personally, i like seeing royals visiting other countries and that's why i visit this thread. but i certainly DO NOT believe, like the previous posters here, that this visit had much impact in the people's perception of the syrian conflict or on its refugees. with this being said, maybe a donation of money directly to the UN would go a much longer way than this visit: particularly considering the costs of security, of plane and hotels for mary and all her staff, of her designer clothes. just that amount of money would make these refugees happier than a visit by yet another diplomatic representant who comes, smiles, takes pictures and leaves back to his/her 5 star hotel.

People do know about the conflict, to some extent, if they watch the news. However, as stated so many times before, this is aimed at the Danish public.
DR1 has an article today about how the relief organisations have big problems getting Danes to donate to Syrian refugees: Organisationer: Folk er ligeglade med Syrien | Nyheder | DR
People don't care about Syria.
Victims of a natural disaster and victims of famine, that is something people are willing to donate to. And people whose plight people can relate to. But refugees from a war that has been going on for two years? Nah.
So the awareness Mary's visit brought about might, just might, change that view.

Don't know if that is how the public in other countries percieve the Syrian conflict nor their willingness to donate.

Last edited:
:previous:I think a debate about the cost of the trip is rather going beyond the scope of this thread. If it wasn't acceptable the Danish Refugee Council wouldn't have sent her.
We've had two pages already of cynical arguments about whether or not Mary should have come, as a result of which the very reason for her visit, ie. the Syrian refugees, has been eclipsed.

Back
Top Bottom