The Duke and Duchess of Castro and Family 2: June 2008- 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the 10th International Monte-Carlo Jumping in Monaco on June 27. On pic 2 they are pictured with the Duchess of Anjou.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Who is the lady with him a sister or cousin?

The Duchess of Castro viewed the installation of French artist Nicolas Lefebvre at the Club 55 in St. Tropez on October 1:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

When Camilla is not in Barbie-mode, she can look utterly charming actually.

What do these people do? How do they live?

I am not asking this to provoke or annoy anyone. I am really puzzled. This family had some political relevance for maybe a decade after they lost their kingdom in 1861. At first they were still recognized by other countries and it wasn't totally crazy to believe they would be restored. But already in the late 19th century that was no longer at all realistic.

For a while they continued to intermarry with other royal families, some of which remained on their thrones, but that too seems to have ended generations ago.

My understanding is that unlike mediatized German royal houses they did not get to keep property and palaces in Italy.

So how have these people made a living for the past few generations? What do they do all day long? Do they just marry rich non-royals and live off of those families?

I am not asking this to provoke or annoy anyone. I am really puzzled. This family had some political relevance for maybe a decade after they lost their kingdom in 1861. At first they were still recognized by other countries and it wasn't totally crazy to believe they would be restored. But already in the late 19th century that was no longer at all realistic.

For a while they continued to intermarry with other royal families, some of which remained on their thrones, but that too seems to have ended generations ago.

My understanding is that unlike mediatized German royal houses they did not get to keep property and palaces in Italy.

So how have these people made a living for the past few generations? What do they do all day long? Do they just marry rich non-royals and live off of those families?

Both Prince Carlo of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro as well his spouse Princess Camilla are dazzling rich. They probably live from a sensible and well-managed estate which does not include money-swallowing mediaeval palaces but money-generating modern financial portfolios.

The father of Princess Camilla, Don Camillo Crociani, was one of the wealthiest Italians, president of Finmeccanica, a multinational in aeronautics, defence systems, electronics, space technology and (military) helicopters with -at present- around 45.000 staff and an annual revenue of 16 billion Euro.

So Prince Carlo can indeed lead the lifestyle of a grand seigneur, without the intrusion of media and the critical eyes of a Parliament, like his "colleagues" in reigning monarchies... His branch of the family still holds the grand heirloom jewels, the enormous collection of artworks and antique inventories from the palaces, castles and stately homes.

:lol:

Last edited:
I have a question: where does the title Duke of Castro come from? I can't find any historical precedent for this particular title in the history of either Naples or Sicily. The only example I can find was a Duchy of Castro in central Italy once held by the House of Farnese. Is it the same title or is it one invented after the Bourbon-Two Sicilies was deposed, like the Dukedom of Noto?

The title of Duke of Castro was indeed an old title belonging to the Farneses. King Francesco II of the Two Sicilies, after losing the throne, assumed for himself the title of Duke of Castro, to which he was entitled because he was the heir to the titles and estates of the Farnese family (in short: the last member of the Farneses, Elisabetta, was the second wife of King Felipe V of Spain and the mother of King Carlo III of Neaples and Sicily, later King Carlos III of Spain, and the titles and estates of the Farneses passed to the Kings of the Two Sicilies).

As for the title of Duke of Noto, it was used in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to designate the eldest son of the heir apparent, who used the title of Duke of Calabria.

The title of Duke of Castro was indeed an old title belonging to the Farneses. King Francesco II of the Two Sicilies, after losing the throne, assumed for himself the title of Duke of Castro, to which he was entitled because he was the heir to the titles and estates of the Farnese family (in short: the last member of the Farneses, Elisabetta, was the second wife of King Felipe V of Spain and the mother of King Carlo III of Neaples and Sicily, later King Carlos III of Spain, and the titles and estates of the Farneses passed to the Kings of the Two Sicilies).

As for the title of Duke of Noto, it was used in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to designate the eldest son of the heir apparent, who used the title of Duke of Calabria.

Kinda strange when you think about it. I thought that the Farnese titles and estates were transferred to the Dukes of Bourbon-Parma.

I should check a couple of book to be sure that I remember all right, but I recall that when in 1731 Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma, died, he named in his will as his sole heir his niece Elisabetta. Elisabetta in turn ceded her rights to her eldest son, Infante Carlos of Spain, who succeeded as Duke of Parma and moved there in 1731. Carlos therefore inherited the Dukedom of Parma and all the other titles of the Farnese family as well as all the estates and art collections.
In 1734 Carlos became King of Naples and Sicily; he relocated to Naples, bringing with him most of the art collections. Later the 1738 Treaty of Vienna recognized Carlos as King of Naples, but he had to cede the Dukedom of Parma to Austria. He still however kept the rights to the other titles and estates inherited by the Farnese family.
In 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle the Dukedom of Parma was ceded by Austria to Spain, and King Fernando VI in turn ceded Parma to his half-brother Felipe, who became Duke Filippo I of Parma and was the ancestor of the Bourbon-Parmas.
This explains why the bulk of the Farnese inheritance and the titles of the Farnese family passed to the Kings of Naples (and later of the Two Sicilies).
The inheritance included the title of Duke of Castro, the ownership of the Farnese Palace in Rome (where King Francesco II lived in exile; later the Palace has been sold to France, re-aquired by the Italian State and leased for 99 years to France; it now houses the French Embassy in Rome) as well as the art collections. To host the art collections of the Farneses, King Carlo decided to build the Royal Palace of Capodimonte.
I hope to have explained all right and clear.

I should check a couple of book to be sure that I remember all right, but I recall that when in 1731 Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma, died, he named in his will as his sole heir his niece Elisabetta. Elisabetta in turn ceded her rights to her eldest son, Infante Carlos of Spain, who succeeded as Duke of Parma and moved there in 1731. Carlos therefore inherited the Dukedom of Parma and all the other titles of the Farnese family as well as all the estates and art collections.
In 1734 Carlos became King of Naples and Sicily; he relocated to Naples, bringing with him most of the art collections. Later the 1738 Treaty of Vienna recognized Carlos as King of Naples, but he had to cede the Dukedom of Parma to Austria. He still however kept the rights to the other titles and estates inherited by the Farnese family.
In 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle the Dukedom of Parma was ceded by Austria to Spain, and King Fernando VI in turn ceded Parma to his half-brother Felipe, who became Duke Filippo I of Parma and was the ancestor of the Bourbon-Parmas.
This explains why the bulk of the Farnese inheritance and the titles of the Farnese family passed to the Kings of Naples (and later of the Two Sicilies).
The inheritance included the title of Duke of Castro, the ownership of the Farnese Palace in Rome (where King Francesco II lived in exile; later the Palace has been sold to France, re-aquired by the Italian State and leased for 99 years to France; it now houses the French Embassy in Rome) as well as the art collections. To host the art collections of the Farneses, King Carlo decided to build the Royal Palace of Capodimonte.
I hope to have explained all right and clear.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me!

The Duchess of Castro together with her husband and daughters attended the UN Women for Peace Association (UNWFPA) Annual Awards Luncheon, in celebration of International Women's Day, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City on March 4. She received the Humanitarian Award for "her intense social and charitable activities in support of disadvantaged children":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** ACCEPTANCE SPEECH OF H.R.H. PRNCESS CAMILLA OF BOURBON TWO SICILIES, DUCHESS OF CASTRO **

The Duke and Duchess of Castro at the Rose Ball in Monaco yesterday evening, March 19:

** Pic **

The Duke and Duchess of Castro at the Rose Ball in Monaco yesterday evening, March 19:

** Pic **

Like the look and it does seem to go very well with the topic of the event "Cuba"

For once Camilla looked good and appropriate. This outing is the proof that she looks so much better when she only leaves the childish lipstick-colours and the peroxyde at home.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the Society of Friends of the Musee D'Orsay's private dinner and tour of the exhibition "Henri Rousseau - The archaic innocence" held at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris on April 4:

** Pic **

Together with their daughters the Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the Children for Peace Gala in Paris yesterday, April 12:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

The Duke and Duchess of Castro together with Princess Antonella of Orleans-Bourbon enjoyed the opening ceremony of the 69th annual Cannes Film Festival in France on May 11:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Ready to jump into the pool?! ;)

The Duchess of Castro attended the Amber Lounge Fashion Show in Monaco yesterday, May 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

:previous:
What else could one expect?
:ermm:

For Pete's sake, this is Donna Camilla - at this point, I believe everyone is accustomed to the unique fashion sense of HRH The Duchess of Castro.

Among the women of the Gotha, HIH Grand Duchess Maria of Russia and HRH Princess Kalina of Bulgaria are also well-known for their colorful styles.

What not everyone can understand, probably, is how the elevated levels of vapidity experienced by some members of this forum does not force them to be admitted to hospital - one would think the condition to be toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom