The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Italy

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 12-06-2015, 10:54 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

The Monegasque Association of the Constantinian Order of St. George presented an ultrasound scanner to the Accident and Emergency Department of the Princess Grace Hospital in Monaco last week. The Duke of Castro as Grand Master of the Order and the Duchess of Castro were present.



** Pic ** mc: Remise de don de l’Association Monégasque de L’Ordre Constantinien de Saint Georges **
__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 01-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 19
What do these people do? How do they live?

I am not asking this to provoke or annoy anyone. I am really puzzled. This family had some political relevance for maybe a decade after they lost their kingdom in 1861. At first they were still recognized by other countries and it wasn't totally crazy to believe they would be restored. But already in the late 19th century that was no longer at all realistic.

For a while they continued to intermarry with other royal families, some of which remained on their thrones, but that too seems to have ended generations ago.

My understanding is that unlike mediatized German royal houses they did not get to keep property and palaces in Italy.

So how have these people made a living for the past few generations? What do they do all day long? Do they just marry rich non-royals and live off of those families?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 02-16-2016, 05:11 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizier View Post
I am not asking this to provoke or annoy anyone. I am really puzzled. This family had some political relevance for maybe a decade after they lost their kingdom in 1861. At first they were still recognized by other countries and it wasn't totally crazy to believe they would be restored. But already in the late 19th century that was no longer at all realistic.

For a while they continued to intermarry with other royal families, some of which remained on their thrones, but that too seems to have ended generations ago.

My understanding is that unlike mediatized German royal houses they did not get to keep property and palaces in Italy.

So how have these people made a living for the past few generations? What do they do all day long? Do they just marry rich non-royals and live off of those families?
Both Prince Carlo of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Castro as well his spouse Princess Camilla are dazzling rich. They probably live from a sensible and well-managed estate which does not include money-swallowing mediaeval palaces but money-generating modern financial portfolios.

The father of Princess Camilla, Don Camillo Crociani, was one of the wealthiest Italians, president of Finmeccanica, a multinational in aeronautics, defence systems, electronics, space technology and (military) helicopters with -at present- around 45.000 staff and an annual revenue of 16 billion Euro.

So Prince Carlo can indeed lead the lifestyle of a grand seigneur, without the intrusion of media and the critical eyes of a Parliament, like his "colleagues" in reigning monarchies... His branch of the family still holds the grand heirloom jewels, the enormous collection of artworks and antique inventories from the palaces, castles and stately homes.

Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 03-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Jacksonville, United States
Posts: 6
I have a question: where does the title Duke of Castro come from? I can't find any historical precedent for this particular title in the history of either Naples or Sicily. The only example I can find was a Duchy of Castro in central Italy once held by the House of Farnese. Is it the same title or is it one invented after the Bourbon-Two Sicilies was deposed, like the Dukedom of Noto?
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,536
The title of Duke of Castro was indeed an old title belonging to the Farneses. King Francesco II of the Two Sicilies, after losing the throne, assumed for himself the title of Duke of Castro, to which he was entitled because he was the heir to the titles and estates of the Farnese family (in short: the last member of the Farneses, Elisabetta, was the second wife of King Felipe V of Spain and the mother of King Carlo III of Neaples and Sicily, later King Carlos III of Spain, and the titles and estates of the Farneses passed to the Kings of the Two Sicilies).

As for the title of Duke of Noto, it was used in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to designate the eldest son of the heir apparent, who used the title of Duke of Calabria.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Jacksonville, United States
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
The title of Duke of Castro was indeed an old title belonging to the Farneses. King Francesco II of the Two Sicilies, after losing the throne, assumed for himself the title of Duke of Castro, to which he was entitled because he was the heir to the titles and estates of the Farnese family (in short: the last member of the Farneses, Elisabetta, was the second wife of King Felipe V of Spain and the mother of King Carlo III of Neaples and Sicily, later King Carlos III of Spain, and the titles and estates of the Farneses passed to the Kings of the Two Sicilies).

As for the title of Duke of Noto, it was used in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies to designate the eldest son of the heir apparent, who used the title of Duke of Calabria.
Kinda strange when you think about it. I thought that the Farnese titles and estates were transferred to the Dukes of Bourbon-Parma.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,536
I should check a couple of book to be sure that I remember all right, but I recall that when in 1731 Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma, died, he named in his will as his sole heir his niece Elisabetta. Elisabetta in turn ceded her rights to her eldest son, Infante Carlos of Spain, who succeeded as Duke of Parma and moved there in 1731. Carlos therefore inherited the Dukedom of Parma and all the other titles of the Farnese family as well as all the estates and art collections.
In 1734 Carlos became King of Naples and Sicily; he relocated to Naples, bringing with him most of the art collections. Later the 1738 Treaty of Vienna recognized Carlos as King of Naples, but he had to cede the Dukedom of Parma to Austria. He still however kept the rights to the other titles and estates inherited by the Farnese family.
In 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle the Dukedom of Parma was ceded by Austria to Spain, and King Fernando VI in turn ceded Parma to his half-brother Felipe, who became Duke Filippo I of Parma and was the ancestor of the Bourbon-Parmas.
This explains why the bulk of the Farnese inheritance and the titles of the Farnese family passed to the Kings of Naples (and later of the Two Sicilies).
The inheritance included the title of Duke of Castro, the ownership of the Farnese Palace in Rome (where King Francesco II lived in exile; later the Palace has been sold to France, re-aquired by the Italian State and leased for 99 years to France; it now houses the French Embassy in Rome) as well as the art collections. To host the art collections of the Farneses, King Carlo decided to build the Royal Palace of Capodimonte.
I hope to have explained all right and clear.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 03-06-2016, 01:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Jacksonville, United States
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I should check a couple of book to be sure that I remember all right, but I recall that when in 1731 Antonio Farnese, Duke of Parma, died, he named in his will as his sole heir his niece Elisabetta. Elisabetta in turn ceded her rights to her eldest son, Infante Carlos of Spain, who succeeded as Duke of Parma and moved there in 1731. Carlos therefore inherited the Dukedom of Parma and all the other titles of the Farnese family as well as all the estates and art collections.
In 1734 Carlos became King of Naples and Sicily; he relocated to Naples, bringing with him most of the art collections. Later the 1738 Treaty of Vienna recognized Carlos as King of Naples, but he had to cede the Dukedom of Parma to Austria. He still however kept the rights to the other titles and estates inherited by the Farnese family.
In 1748 with the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle the Dukedom of Parma was ceded by Austria to Spain, and King Fernando VI in turn ceded Parma to his half-brother Felipe, who became Duke Filippo I of Parma and was the ancestor of the Bourbon-Parmas.
This explains why the bulk of the Farnese inheritance and the titles of the Farnese family passed to the Kings of Naples (and later of the Two Sicilies).
The inheritance included the title of Duke of Castro, the ownership of the Farnese Palace in Rome (where King Francesco II lived in exile; later the Palace has been sold to France, re-aquired by the Italian State and leased for 99 years to France; it now houses the French Embassy in Rome) as well as the art collections. To host the art collections of the Farneses, King Carlo decided to build the Royal Palace of Capodimonte.
I hope to have explained all right and clear.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me!
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 03-06-2016, 04:19 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

The Duchess of Castro together with her husband and daughters attended the UN Women for Peace Association (UNWFPA) Annual Awards Luncheon, in celebration of International Women's Day, at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City on March 4. She received the Humanitarian Award for "her intense social and charitable activities in support of disadvantaged children":



** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **


** ACCEPTANCE SPEECH OF H.R.H. PRNCESS CAMILLA OF BOURBON TWO SICILIES, DUCHESS OF CASTRO **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro at the Rose Ball in Monaco yesterday evening, March 19:



** Pic **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro at the Rose Ball in Monaco yesterday evening, March 19:



** Pic **
Like the look and it does seem to go very well with the topic of the event "Cuba"
__________________
Wisdom begins in wonder - Socrates
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,924
For once Camilla looked good and appropriate. This outing is the proof that she looks so much better when she only leaves the childish lipstick-colours and the peroxyde at home.
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 04-05-2016, 08:26 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the Society of Friends of the Musee D'Orsay's private dinner and tour of the exhibition "Henri Rousseau - The archaic innocence" held at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris on April 4:


** Pic **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 04-13-2016, 11:43 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

Together with their daughters the Duke and Duchess of Castro attended the Children for Peace Gala in Paris yesterday, April 12:



** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 05-15-2016, 05:27 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

The Duke and Duchess of Castro together with Princess Antonella of Orleans-Bourbon enjoyed the opening ceremony of the 69th annual Cannes Film Festival in France on May 11:


** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM
zarat's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Szczecin, Poland
Posts: 742
María Carolina y María Chiara de Borbón de las Dos Sicilias celebran su Confirmación en Roma
The young princesses have received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 5,536
Posts about the succession issues and the Duke of Castro's act of abolition of the Salic law have been moved to the following thread:

Two Sicilies: rival claims, 2014 reconciliation and succession issues
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:43 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,694
.

Ready to jump into the pool?!

The Duchess of Castro attended the Amber Lounge Fashion Show in Monaco yesterday, May 28:


** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,924

What else could one expect?
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

What else could one expect?
For Pete's sake, this is Donna Camilla - at this point, I believe everyone is accustomed to the unique fashion sense of HRH The Duchess of Castro.

Among the women of the Gotha, HIH Grand Duchess Maria of Russia and HRH Princess Kalina of Bulgaria are also well-known for their colorful styles.

What not everyone can understand, probably, is how the elevated levels of vapidity experienced by some members of this forum does not force them to be admitted to hospital - one would think the condition to be toxic.
__________________

__________________
Sii forte.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bourbon two sicilies, calabria, castro, duchess of castro, duke of castro, two sicilies


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit september brunei royal family catherine middleton style christening of prince oscar coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl gustaf king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary and womens rights princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises