Royal, Princely and Comital Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Counts and Count Palatine.

I am new on here, but just replying on your messages about counts and count palatine in Italy. My family is from Italy. We do have a crest in our family which states that our family was of noble blood and already had the title of Count
(Conte) in Cingoli in the late 1700/early 1800's, but also the title of Count Palatine given by Pope Pius IX, in 1854,
I believe. Both titles were handed down to the first male child of the line, and so forth. So it is, or was, used in Italy until a certain time.

some info I've read:

8.4. Count-Palatine.
"Palatine" refers to extraordinary powers granted to a noble. The English word "palatine" means a region under the authority of a noble where the king's writ was suspended. While the noble owed allegience to the king (or Holy Roman Emperor), the holder of a palatine had absolute authority, including the right to grant titles of nobility, create knights, raise armies, coin money -- i.e., powers normally reserved to a sovereign. There were palatinates in British history, in both England and in Ireland, and could be given to either lords temporal or spiritual. There was a case of a "bishop-palatine"; Louis Epstein reports "the English Lords Bishop of Durham used to rule a 'county palatine'".
"The Palatinate", however, refers to the Rhineland Palatinate in Germany, or in German, "Rheinland-Pfalz" (as with the state in the modern Federal Republic of Germany). There was also the "Upper Palatinate", or "Oberpfalz".
The Counts-Palatine of the Rhineland Palatinate (in German, "Pfalzgraf, Pfalzgräfin"), were one of the premier noble houses of the Holy Roman Empire, and were electors, i.e., the Elector-Palatine.

Would Vittorio Emanuel (Victor Emmanuel), Prince of Naples be referred to as King Victor Emmanuel IV if Italy was a monarchy?

Yes, Bourbon-Parma are Royal Highnesses. And the Austria-Este and the Habsburg-Lothringen-Tuscany are Imperial and Royal Highnesses. However they all have this styles because of their appartenance to non-Italian Royal or Imperial families: Spanish RF for the Parma, Habsburg for the others.

The current Bourbons of Parma are not Spanish HRHs or members of the Spanish royal family. In Spain, there are strict limits on the form of address Royal Highness and membership of the official Royal Family:

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1981-28756
https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1987-25284

Yes, the Bourbon-Parma are Princes and Royal Highness; but what I meant is that in the Kingdom of Italy (House Savoy) and in the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies the children and the grandchildren of the Sovereign (or of the Head) carry a specific title, that is Royal Prince of Italy and Royal Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, whule the other members of the two families are Princes of Savoy and Princes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.

And of the grandchildren, only the grandchildren by the oldest son and heir were entitled to the Royal Prince or Royal Princess title, according to the January 30, 1821 constitution of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and the royal decree of January 1, 1890 in the Kingdom of Italy.

In the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, the royals utilized the surname of Bourbon and the title Royal Prince, Royal Princess, Prince or Princess of the Two Sicilies. After the end of the monarchy the surname "of Bourbon" became combined with the title "of the Two Sicilies".

The provisions concerning titles and predicates in the current constitution of Italy, which has been in force since January 1, 1948:

https://www.quirinale.it/allegati_statici/costituzione/costituzione_inglese.pdf

TRANSITORY AND FINAL PROVISIONS

[...]

XIV

Titles of nobility shall not be recognised.

The predicates of those existing before 28 October 1922 shall serve as part of the name.

The Order of Saint Mauritius shall be preserved as a hospital corporation and shall function in the ways established by law.

The law shall regulate the suppression of the Heraldic Council.

Back
Top Bottom