Royal House of Savoy News and Events 2 : March 2007 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply jonnydep, of course I do not feel offended, I only wanted to clarify this matter in a neutral way.

thanks, with due respect, how can you say it has been done in a neutral way, when you have quoted myself within your post to clarify the matter. i do very much feel it cast's me in a bad light somewhat.....

btw you are forgiven count, whats done is done !! :flowers:

cheers jonnydep

I may understand that when King Umberto died he was sure he was the last King of Savoie.

I may understand that when King Umberto died he was sure he was the last King of Savoie.

You're not totally wrong, and this can explained (and can be explained by) the fact that His Majesty wanted the seal of the Kings of Italy to be buried with him, under His armpit.

Prince Victor Emmanuel wins court battle against Duke of Aosta

Italian aristocrat cousins fight over defunct throne - Telegraph

The family of Italy's last king are locked in a bitter court feud over who has the right to lay claim to the country's defunct throne more than 60 years after the monarchy was abolished. The battle pitches Prince Victor Emmanuel, the son of Umberto II, against his third cousin, Duke Amadeo of Aosta, both of whom are descended from the 19th century king of Italy, Umberto I.

But now a court in Tuscany has finally ruled the 73-year-old prince is the true heir to the dynasty, which has its roots in the north-east of Italy and ruled the whole country after it was unified in 1861. It ruled the Savoy royal title can now only be used by Prince Victor Emmanuel and his son, Prince Emmanuel Filiberto.
It also ordered the Duke of Aosta to pay his cousin £43,000 in compensation as well as the costs of the trial.

The court pointed out that the "dynastic squabbles underlying this affair" had no legal relevance to the modern Italian state because the monarchy had been abolished more than 60 years ago. It also highlighted the fact the prince was descended from the last king of Italy while the duke came from only a "junior branch" of the royal family. The court ruled that the duke's use of the Savoy name had been "unmerited" and ordered him to bring his "harmful conduct" to an immediate end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that has solved the issue 'once and for all'. Dynastic squabbles in the courts of law are most unbecoming any dynasty.

Of course, this decision of the Court regards a totally different matter then the dynastic quarrels.
This decision is about the legal surnames of Amedeo and Aimone in Italy: their legal surname is "di Savoia-Aosta" (for Amedeo since 1946, for Aimone since his birth), and they can't use another surname, even if only "di Savoia". In the Italian Republic they have a certain surname, and must use it.
The dinastycal quarrel is a completely different matter; nobody can say that Amedeo and Aimone belong to Savoy Family, and during the Monarchy Amedeo's official name was "His Royal Highness Prince Amedeo of Savoy", but only when Italy was a Kingdom; after the proclamation of the Republic his surname changed, but this has nothing to do with the quarrels about the Headship of the Family, that can't be solved by a decision of a court of the Italian Republic.

Princess Marina, Prince Vittorio Emanuele and Prince Emanuele Filiberto
of Savoy leave the square San Carlo after the mass in Turin, Italy, on
May 2, 2010. Pope Benedict XVI celebrated a Holy Mass at Piazza San
Carlo in Turin.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Vogue-Italy (March issue) magazine brings a beautiful interview of Princess María Pia of Saboya. You can read it completely in the following websites:

“A SINGULAR ROYAL TALE
MARIA PIA OF SAVOY: WOMAN, MOTHER AND PRINCESS”
VOGUE UNIQUE, March (issue 715), Italy
By Alain Elkann

Read pages 116 – 125 at:

http://www.vogue.it/en/vogue-starscelebsmodels/focus-on/2010/03/maria-pia-di-savoia

Vogue Unique - Vogue.it

Video: http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine/people-in-vogue/2010/03/a-singular-royal-tale

Sorry, my english is bad.

Princess María Pia de Saboya wrote her memories for Mondadori of Italy. Check the facts about the book:
Título: La mia vita. I miei ricordi
Maria Pia di Savoia
Editore: Mondadori Electa
Numero di pagine: 192

Last edited by a moderator:
Another joined event:

of Savoy visited the exhibition 'Casa Savoia e l'Unita d'Italia' (lit.: House
of Savoy and the Unification of Italy) at the Palazzo Saluzzo di Carde in
Turin, Italy, 03 May 2010. The exhibition held on the occasion of the
150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy runs until 15 June.

Interesting to see that the youngest members of the family are also
included in the exhibition.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Princess Marina, Prince Vittorio Emanuele and Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy visited the exhibition 'Casa Savoia e l'Unita d'Italia' The exhibition held on the occasion of the 150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy runs until 15 June.
** Pic 3 **

Princess Marina does have some wonderful Italian designed jewelry. I like her choker. She also seems to wear a lot of black outfits.

I think the Princess Marina and her son, Prince Emanuele look like they are mother and son. The Prince has her jaw.

She was a very glamorous when she was young.:);):)

and Princess Clotilde of Savoyin the robes of a knight and dame of the
Order of St. Maurice and Lazarus during a mass for knights and dames
of the Savoy Orders at the abbey Saint Maurice in Switzerland and
afterwards at an signing event and a gala dinner at the Intercontinental
Hotel in Geneve also in connection with the event. Must have been
yesterday or at the weekend.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** Pic 7 ** Pic 8 ** Pic 9 ** Pic 10 ** Pic 11 ** Pic 12 **

Clotilde looks beautiful in both her outfits.
What a wonderfully traditional event.

The Order of St. Marice and Lazarus is being investigated by the Roman magistrates these days on account of slush and offshore (the Vatican) funds.

:previous:
I can't find a news link to an investigation into the affairs of the Order but Wiki has this:

[In February 2006] all three of his sisters resigned from their positions as Dames of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus. Princess Maria Gabriella has criticised her brother for instituting "the payment of membership fees [and] activities such as the sale of objects with the Savoy coat of arms and credit cards of the order".

Princess Maria Gabriella is definitely the most critic towards Vittorio Emanuele and Emanuele Filiberto among her sisters; but on that matter all three sisters agreed condemning the menagement of the Order (that was indeed tacky, imo).
And just to be even more tacky, in the last years VE and EF have taken out a patent on the coat of arms of Savoy Family (so Aosta cousins can't use them) and EF has turned into a stylist with his collection of clothers "Principe d'Italia" (Prince of Italy), of course using the coat of arms of Savoy Family...

Such a different style from the late King Umberto II :sad:

EF has turned into a stylist with his collection of clothers "Principe d'Italia" (Prince of Italy), of course using the coat of arms of Savoy Family...

Sounds real tacky to do that with the coat of arms of Savoy Family.:);):)

:previous:
I can't find a news link to an investigation into the affairs of the Order but Wiki has this:

[In February 2006] all three of his sisters resigned from their positions as Dames of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus. Princess Maria Gabriella has criticised her brother for instituting "the payment of membership fees [and] activities such as the sale of objects with the Savoy coat of arms and credit cards of the order".

Actually the House of Savoy is not directly involved in this new scandal that has hit the top management of the Civil Protection, and one of the members of the staff of Vice Minister Bertolaso in particular, who was created Knight of St. Mauritius and Lazarus. So the magistrates in Perugia, not Rome, sorry, are investigating this man, and consequently the Order.
The media didn't put much emphasis on this piece of news, apart few newspapers, so, I guess the international press didn't either.
The foreign press usually "copy and paste" mostly from La Repubblica newspaper.;):whistling:

the princess thinks that all monarchies will disappear sooner or later. And among other things she said that princess Letizia seems intelligent. She stays diplomatic about president Berlusconi. She explains why she supports the duke of Aosta and not her own brother, etc. An interesting interview! Thanks for posting the link.

Can someone translate the point where she talks of Berlusconi?
(I don't want to introduce politics in the discussion, at all, just I'm curious to know her opinion)

She explains why she supports the duke of Aosta and not her own brother, etc. An interesting interview!

Please Marengo why does the Princess support the Duke of Aosta and not her own brother? Is it because of his marriage or behavior?

I think she is a historian and maybe that might color her view.:ermm:

I really can't understand why the daughter of King Umberto speaks like this about Monarchy.

I really can't understand why the daughter of King Umberto speaks like this about Monarchy.

Reading the article, I belive she is talking about the Spanish Monarchy disappearing.

Please Marengo why does the Princess support the Duke of Aosta and not her own brother? Is it because of his marriage or behavior?

I think she is a historian and maybe that might color her view.:ermm:

From Google Translate

Why it is in favor of the Duke of Aosta, cousin, not his brother and heir to his father, King Umberto II?

–​
"My brother did some things wrong in his life and is not a good representative of the dynasty. It should be like in Germany. People respect to heads of families, but when he misbehaves a quick throw for the cousin or little brother.

Can someone translate the point where she talks of Berlusconi?
(I don't want to introduce politics in the discussion, at all, just I'm curious to know her opinion)

From Google Translate again.

And Berlusconi?

–​

"People love it. Perhaps because it makes you laugh, I do not know whether it is for Italy. The classic phrase is that if he goes, who will come if there is terrible, worse. There is a tremendous crisis of values, corruption
.​

Now VIP says now is the 'Viewed in Prison. "

From Google Translate

Is the google translation saying that the princess brother misbehaves for a king and the royalist think his first cousin and his son should be ahead of the House of Savoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom