Royal House of Savoy News and Events 2 : March 2007 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are a little more complicated; according to the rules of House Savoy, her brother Vittorio Emanuele lost all his titles, rights and pretensions for himself and his descendants when he married to a commoner without the allowance of the King (allowance that he actually never asked). Therefore de jure the dynastic successor to the late King Umberto is Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta. Btw, Vittorio Emanuele denys this interpretation of the rules and the facts.

But Vittorio Emanuele also committed during his life several other "mistakes", misbehaves and false-steps: the murder of Dirk Hamer in 1978, his statement in 2003 that 1983 anti-semitic laws were "not that terrible", the punchs to the Duke of Aosta in 2004 at the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias, the inquirys and charges of criminal association, corruption and exploitation of prostitution in 2006, his declaration, in 2006 too, that Sards are "pieces of ****", the request to the Italian Republic in 2007 to pay him and to his son 260 million Euros as compensation for the moral injustice suffered during the exile, and last but not least the management of the Order of Saints Maurice and Lazarus (asking the the payment of membership fees and in general transforming the activities of the Order in a business for gaining money).

I don't say that the Duke of Aosta is a saint, but imo his scandals (mainly caused by extra matrimonial affairs) are nothing compared to his cousin's, and it seems to me that the Duke of Aosta, beyond who is the rightful successor of King Umberto II according to the laws of House Savoy, is much more a suitable entrant as King in the eventuality of a restoration.

Thank you MAfan. I read recently the Fall of the House of Savoy. I did not get an opinion from the author about Vittorio Emanuele's father Urbino not letting him marry a commoner. King Urbino gave both Vittorio Emanuele and his son, Emanuele Filiberto royal titles, so I really don't see this part of the Savoy family out of royal contention. I do agree that Prince Amedeo and his family are the better candidates.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't say that the Duke of Aosta is a saint, but imo his scandals (mainly caused by extra matrimonial affairs) are nothing compared to his cousin's...
Absolutely! As you state, the Duke of Aosta is no angel either, but his flaws pale in comparison to that of his cousin's. His son married a Princess of Greece and has quietly worked as a businessman, avoiding the limelight. The Duke himself has not been involved in any felonious behavior to my knowledge.
Vittorio Emanuele and his son have done nothing except behave as B list celebrities and money hungry poor relatives. Maria Gabrielle supported her brother at one time, but after the last several years came to support the Duke.
Even though Italy would not bring back the Monarchy, Vittorio and his family should have carried themselves as Royals and not cheap knock offs.

Vittorio Emanuele was created Prince of Naples at his birth by his grandfather, King Vittorio Emanuele III; than he became Hereditary Prince in 1946, when his father became King Umberto II, but as far as I know the King never gave him any more titles.

As for Emanuele Filiberto's title, it is disputed; it seems that King Umberto II created his grandson Prince of Venice at his christening in 1972; but there are no written evidences about that (no letters patent, and this is strange because King Umberto always issued them when giving titles). It is also interesting to notice that the title of Prince of Venice isn't a typical title of House Savoy (this title was used only one time in 1805 by Eugene de Beauharnais, Napoleon's stepson), while the traditional titles for the eldest son and grandson of the King of Italy are Prince of Piedmont (at the time nobody was carrying this title) and Prince of Naples. Later in 1984 Vittorio Emanuele created Emanuele Filiberto Prince of Piedmont (why to do? If EF already had a royal title, why the necessity to give him another one?), but if Vittorio Emanuele isn't the Head of the Royal Family he cannot give any title to anyone.

Thank you. MAfan I think The House of Savoy died with King Umberto. If Italy ever brings back royalty it should be from the Duke of Aosta lineage.:flowers:

Princess Maria Pia with husband Michel de Bourbon-Parma and son Serge of Yugoslavia is spending an holiday in the former royal mountain resort of Sant'Anna di Valdieri, Piedmont.
In that occasion she visited a royal hut named Queen Elena after her grandmother, she opened an exhibition of paintings about Savoy family battles, was visited by the president of the province of Cuneo, paid visit to the mayor of Cuneo and gave a brilliant interview to La Stampa. "Io, figlia dell?ultimo re nell?alcova della Bela Rosin"- LASTAMPA.it
Today she will be present in a Mass for Queen Elena that will be celebrated in the forest nearby.

Elisabeth de Balkany and her husband Olivier Janssens had their second son and third child Louis somewhere in 2009.
A brother for Gabriella (7-3-2004) and Tommaso (13-1-2006).
Does someone know the exact birthday of this grandson of princess Maria Gabriella?
Thanks for any information.

Which member of the Royal House of Savoy will attend the funeral of the Duke of Parma ?

Which member of the Royal House of Savoy will attend the funeral of the Duke of Parma ?

Just back from the funeral, no member of the House of Savoy was there...no invitation...

The Grandducke of Luxembourg, Crown Prince & Princess of The Netherlands and Archduke Martin of Austia-Este were present.

As soon as I will be back home (monday) I will publish the invitation and the official program of the funeral.

Interview made by Diario de Ibiza (Spain) to princess Maria Gabriela de Saboya (she talks about european monarquies, princess Letizia, King Juan Carlos -ex boyfriend- and the saboya jewels issue at the Bank of Italy):

http://www.diariodeibiza.es/diario-verano/2010/08/29/princesa-trabajo-diario/429787.html

Yesterday night Italian TV channel RaiTre broadcasted a documentary called "Duello reale" ("Royal duel"), about the history of the two brances of the Royal House descending from King Umberto I and his brother Prince Amedeo, the first Duke of Aosta.
It contains several interviews to Princess Maria Gabriella, the Duke and the Duchess of Aosta, King Simeon II of the Bulgarians (whose mother was an Italian Princess) and Emanuele Filiberto.
Rai Tre La Grande Storia - 10 settembre 2010
Here is possible to watch the documentary.

On May 2006 , I studied italian 2 weeks in Florence. Just before living I saw on place royale Princess Marie-Gabrielle speaking about her new book.
So I went to Florence's biggest library and asked in italian the book of principessa Marie gabrielle di savoie . Their answer ; Savoie , just at the end of the row. It was ONE general book about the RF.
I said to myself : M.G. 's book seemed not to be a best-seller..

Prince Victor Emmanuele of Savoy with wife Marina Doria and son Prince
Emmanuele Filiberto and Clotilde Courau during a photo call at Le Crazy
Horse on September 19, 2010 in Paris, France.

It may be a questionable project, but it's nice to see the whole family
supporting Clotilde!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** zimbio: Clotilde Courau Performs At Crazy Horse - Photocall **

Clotilde seems to be a bit tired, her features are tighten and she looks older than usual.

Prince Victor Emmanuele of Savoy and his wife Marina Doria attended an
exhibition at the Palazzo Reale in Turin about Victor Emanuel II, the first
king of united Italy in 1861, October 29, 2010.

According to the agency a group of young anarchists held a protest outside
shouting praise for Gaetano Bresci, the anarchist who killed King Umberto I.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Prince Emanuele Filiberto, Princess Clotilde,Prince Victor Emmanuele of Savoy and his wife Marina Doria attended a Gala charities for Christmas. Palazzo Serbelloni, Milan.
December 01, 2010

Google Traduttore

Pic 1 * Pic 2 * Pic 3 * Pic 4 * Pic 5

It's nice to see the whole family partecipating in the same event, it's rather rare IMO.

«A Dirk Hamer sparai così» Un video inguaia Vittorio Emanuele - Corriere della Sera
Turning back to old story...
Website Corriere.it presented a video which is showing prince Vittorio Emanuele during his stay in prison in 2006. Inside his cell there was a hidden camera which registered a moment when he was speaking about the accident from 1978 when Dirk Hamer was accidentally shot by him and died in consequences of injuries.

Yes, it's quite an old story; the content of his "confession" was known since 2006, the real news is the video.

Here's the link to the full video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU49yXS_YW8&feature=player_embedded

He basically tells how he "was in the wrong", but managed to change six members of the jury; then thanks to his "battery of lawyers", twenty witnesses and the intervention of several public personalities he has been able to "fool" the French judges and therefore to be acquitted from the charges, despite the state prosecutor asked for him to be sentenced five years and six months' inprisonment. Instead, he has been sentenced six months' inprisonment because of the possession of the rifle, but thanks to an amnesty he never served his time.

Prince Vittorio Emanuele, Marina Doria, Prince Emanuele and Princess Clotilde
payng their respects at the tomb of Italian King Vittorio Emanuele II inside
the Pantheon in Rome on March 17, 2011 during celebrations marking the
150th anniversary of Italy's unification.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

previous.gif
I watched live the broadcast of the event.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5

Last edited:
today is a great day for Italy! i'm very happy because they are sharing the celebration with us!!

The event was attended also by Prince Amedeo and Prince Aimone; see here the post in the Savoy-Aosta thread.

Prince Victor Emmanuele of Savoy and his wife Marina Doria at the airport
Roma-Fiumicino in Rome, Italy, March 19, departing to Nice, France.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom