Royal House of Savoy News and Events 2 : March 2007 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After a protracted legal battle King Constantine won compensation from the Greek Government for the confiscation of some of his personal property.

I believe he donated the money to a good cause afterwards btw.

Anyway, Princess Marie-Gabrielle wrote a rather interesting letter that is published on the savoy-aosta website, you can read the letter here. She doesn´t agree with her brother, to put it mildly...

Apart from that the King didn´t exactly hand the country nover as Mussolini and followers took the power themselves. I doubt that they expect the whole sum though, they are probably hoping for a settlement like in the Greek case

The King could have arrested Mussolini, instead of waiting for 20 years later, as he did. So Vittorio Emanuele III was a party in the to the dictatorship. Do not forget that the King also ratified the racial law against the Jews.
What a different behaviour from that of the British and the Dutch Royals!

The current President of the Italian Republic said that Italy won't give a cent to the Savoia family. Mr. Napolitano a native of Naples, when he was younger gave cause for gossip because of his startling resemblance to the late King Umberto II. Berlusconi himself called him ironically "His Majesty"

President Napolitano

Last edited:
I'm not saying that Vittorio Emanuele was a saint but any king has positives and negatives,he might have fetal mistakes and deserved exile or even excution but what about king Umberto, his son and grandson?why were they exiled and were not allowed to put a foot on italian land till recently without at least a settlement as Marengo said?Was Mussolini family exiled?!!!!! .I read that his granddaughter was a parliament member.If the Savoys deserved exile,Mussolini family should have been exiled as well.
Another one thing,I find it ridiculous to not allowing King Umberto "last king of italy" to be buried in italy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jewish community from Treviso is going to sue Savoia family for racial law against the Jewish at Mussolini's time.
This is nonsense. According to the article the law in question was made in 1938; Vittorio Emanuele was 1 year old at the time, Maria Pia was 4, and the other two daughters were unborn. How can a "family" be sued for a law made by a Government?

I'm not saying that Vittorio Emanuele was a saint but any king has positives and negatives,he might have fetal mistakes and deserved exile or even excution but what about king Umberto, his son and grandson?why were they exiled and were not allowed to put a foot on italian land till recently without at least a settlement as Marengo said?Was Mussolini family exiled?!!!!! .I read that his granddaughter was a parliament member.If the Savoys deserved exile,Mussolini family should have been exiled as well.
Another one thing,I find it ridiculous to not allowing King Umberto "last king of italy" to be buried in italy.

I never knew of Vittorio Emanuele doing anything positive in his life, or at least the press never reported of him doing anything positive.
On these days I'm listening to a program aired by an independent radio, that you can listen to only by the sat dish outside the Milan area, reporting on Vittorio Emanuele involved in traffic in arm, with major prelates having covered his illegal activities, which several Italian magistrate's courts are investigating on. BTW he's not affiliate with the mafia, just a professional man!:lol: He shouldn't have come back to Italy, if he wanted to still carry on his activities in a neighbouring country.

However IMO the man isn't a genius, and most of this kind of work must be his manipulative wife's: I saw him interviewed by an Italian tv, where his answer to the interviewer's questions were prompted in French by his wife.

His son is more jovial and an ingenuous guy, that has no fear to mix up with ordinary people. IMO he think people love him, because he's a Prince Charming, but he must be a kind hearted guy despite his parents.

I agree that they are not responsible of what King V. Emanuele III did, but you surently do not know what the situation was back then.
Mussolini was arrested by the King, who signed an armistice with the Allied. Later on Mussolini was freed by the Nazis, and went up North where he established the Republic of Salò, so Italy was split into two countries once again : the Republic in the North, and the Kingdom of the South. This was the start of the civil war from Rome up with the Partisans fighting the Fascist and the Nazis. Perhaps you saw films like "Open City" (Roma città aperta) or "Paisà" by Rossellini, "La Ciociara" by De Sica starring Sofia Loren ( who also won the Oscar) and Jean Paul Belmondo. If you didn't, please do, so you will get an idea of what was happening in Italy back then.

According to journalist and historian Indro Montanelli, most of member of the newly established Constituent Assembly didn't really want to get rid of the monarchy ( a part from the Republicans, of course). Even the leader of the Communist Party agreed that little Vittorio Emanuele was educated by eminent democratic tutors, so that he could be the next King without suffering from the influence of the Savoia family. But both the Americans and the Vatican strongly opposed this project. Apparently the Vatican wanted to have their revenge for the Savoia family who had snatched the Papal state, so they urged the Catholic voters to choose the Republic.
The rest is history. Sorry for the long post. Hope it wasn't too boring:lol:

ETA: Mussolini was caught executed by the Partisan while he was fleeing to Switzerland with his mistress. She was shot too.
His youngest son married Sofia Loren's younger sister. So their elder daughter Alessandra is currently a member of the Italian parliament, but she is best know for being Sofia's niece.

Last edited:
It's just my opinion,I dout things said about someone when they are all positives or all negatives.
My country was a monarchy when it became a republic,all things said about the royal family and the last king were all negative and now after 55 years of the republic,another opinion begin to think that the king wasn't that bad and some positive things have appeared about him.
Please, consider that the reaction of most of the Italians to the request of the Savoia is not due to the fact that Italians hate the Savoia family and the monarchy.
We all consider King Umberto II a gentleman; we admire Princess Mafalda who died in Buchenwald; Prince Amedeo of Savoia Aosta, the uncle of the living Amedeo, is considered a hero; everybody loved Queen Elena, and so on.
We know what they did for our country.
In Italy there are a lot of streets, hospitals, etc. who still have their names and nobody want to change them!
We just don't like Vittorio Emanuele III for his behaviour as a King, the racial laws, etc, and above all we don' t like his grandson Vittorio Emanuele IV for his behaviour. The weapons, the sad episode in Cavallo, his business with strange people, his judgement on the people from Sardinia, and so many things that came out when he was in jail last year. Does anybody remember those phone interceptions?
When the Italian government decided to let them come to Italy, they promised they didn't want any money, but they didn't keep their promises.
So, why are you surpised if the Italians refuse even the idea of giving a penny to this man?
I doubt that they expect the whole sum though, they are probably hoping for a settlement like in the Greek case.
Last but not least, only one fifth of the Savoia's properties were confiscated by the Italian Republic.

Last edited:
Prince Victor Emmanuel de Savoie and his wife Marina attend the
Best Awards 2007 at the Bristol Hotel December 9, 2007 in Paris,
France. (Photos by Henry Duke/WireImage)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Hey giov, wouldn't you really compare Vittorio Emanuele II to his descendants bearing the same name? He, he?

Do you know of the legend surrounding the birth of V. E. II?

Sorry for the long post. Hope it wasn't too boring
actualy,I enjoyed your post alot. thanks for these precious informations.

BTW,what is the legend surrounding the birth of V.E the second ?

Last edited:
Last night I was watching the daily satirical TV show on one of the Mediaset channel, so I went to visit their website, where they host the video clips shown the night before. This one is about Prince Emanuele Filiberto being interviewed for the state run TV. It shows that the interview has been manipulated, but at the same time they're joking on Emanuele Filiberto's bent for wine:

Video Mediaset.it

The second one shows the prince of Venice interviewed by my fellow citizen, comedian Carlo Ghiozzi that takes a mickey out of him about the recent request of the Savoia family. Please notice the last part of the video: when asked if he's willing to apologize on behalf of his family about the racial laws his grand father signed, Vittorio Emanuele appeared to be confused. Look how quickly his wife Marina prompted him, talking to him in French: "But we did apologize for the past!" I guess she's the one that "wears the trousers" in that family!

Video Mediaset.it

Prince Vittorio Emanuele from Savoy, his wife Marina Doria and his son
Prince Emanuele participate in a memorial service for the 100th birthday
of the Polish-French artist Balthus, in Rossiniere, Switzerland, 29 February
2008. Balthus was born 29 February 1908 in Paris as Balthazar Klossowski
and died 18 February 2001 at the Grand Chalet de Rossiniere.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

La Venaria Reale - Mostre ed eventi

The palace Venaria Reale presents the exibition dedicated to coats worn by Queen Maria Jose'. The exibition started the 1 june and it will finished the 3 november 2008.
One of these coats was used durnig the baptism of Maria Pia and Vittorio Emanuele.

Princess Maria Pia di Savoia and her second husband Michele of Bourbon-Parma attending the wedding of Cornelia Brandolini d'Adda in Paris.

DIVAeDONNA

I'm sorry, but VE is not the Head of the Family, due to his wedding; Family Laws and Statuto Albertino are clear in this connection. Amedeo is the Head of the Family, since March 18, 1983.
Don't you think we can return to have the Monarchy in the future? I hope so...with Amedeo & Aimone

Dear Mafan, many years ago an important Monarchist association asked me an opinion about the whole thing. I wrote my report, it was also published on some magazines. The result of my analysis was clear: VE lost his rights due to his wedding with a commoner, Mrs Marina Ricolfi-Doria, and for other reasons.
But nowadays there is not a "superior power", who can say "the new Head of the House is Amedeo". There are only parties like Unione Monarchica, Consulta dei Senatori del Regno, Alleanza Monarchica, etc, who support the one o the other pretender, but they have no legal power...
At the very end: cui prodest all this? Nobody, it is only a game that involves "small potentates".
To be "Head of the House" means have the power to give decorations (=money, a lot of money...). This is what VE and many of the pretenders to different thrones do...

The different supporters at the highest level, want only to have an appointment in the "Royal Household".
I think a Monarchy can give stability to a country, but I do not think Italy will have one in the future...
I am a Monarchist, who knows our "Monarchs", this is why I wrote you this answer.

Thank you, Count. I agree with you when you say that a Monarchy can give stability to a country, and, living in Italy, I hope Monarchy will return as soon as possible. Only for that reason I say that Amedeo is the Head of the Family, because I hope that when this day will arrive Italians will know the real status of people who call themselves "Prince" (read: VE and EF) but are not so.

Don't you think we can return to have the Monarchy in the future? I hope so...with Amedeo & Aimone
At my beginning in this forum [nearly at 2004],I asked this question and the answer from italians at the forum was that most of the italian people don't care about savoy RF nor follow their news nor thinking about the return of the monarchy but now,I think there is a change as some italians begin to think of the return of the monarchy which wasn't all bad.

at my beginning in this forum [nearly at 2004],I asked this question and the answer from italians at the forum was that most of the italian people don't care about savoy RF nor follow their news nor thinking about the return of the monarchy but now,I think there is a change as some italians begin to think of the return of the monarchy which wasn't all bad.
Italy a Monarchy again?Not likely,even less so then seeing pigs fly.
Rain?On Patmos?In september?Never!It will be gorgious blue sky and a blistering sun as always that time of year:sun::star:
OK OK,sooner or later reality bites one in the behind to proof one is wrong.
Unfortunately,the weather in Greece at present is just downpour after downpour.
Hope that either the Gods on the Olympic,or/and St.John have mercy on Aimone and Olga this saturday.:ermm:

(St.John lived there after his flight from the Holy Land and wrote his Book of Revelations there,on beautifull Patmos.
The Island is a (happy & sunny usually) shrine almost,to the Greek Orthodox and all of the Christian Faiths).

a Monarchy can give stability to a country
By installing another dictator?

at my beginning in this forum [nearly at 2004],I asked this question and the answer from italians at the forum was that most of the italian people don't care about savoy RF nor follow their news nor thinking about the return of the monarchy but now,I think there is a change as some italians begin to think of the return of the monarchy which wasn't all bad.
Italy a Monarchy again?Not likely,even less so then seeing pigs fly.
Again, that's the average Italians think: they don't care much about the Savoy Family. Proof of this is that in Italy the British Royals and the Grimaldi are by far more popular than the Savoys are.

The Savoy Dinasty is not very popular in Italy but Prince Amedeo is quite respected and invited to different important events.Unfortunately Prince Aimone is not very known by the Italians.

Pics 1.10.2008

Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy and wife Princess Marina
Doria of Savoy with friends in Milan, Italy -01/10/2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Note to members

The Italian subforum will not be used as a propaganda vehicle to advance the claims of one side of the Savoy family over the other.
The slew of posts made today across various threads pushing such an agenda have been removed.

Warren
TRF Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom