Prince Aimone of Savoy-Aosta engaged to Princess Olga of Greece, May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigheadshirmp

Courtier
City
Vancouver
Country
Canada
Today the Duke of Aosta announced the engagement of his only son Aimone and
Princess Olga of Greece, second daughter of Prince Michel and Princess Marina of Greece (nee Karella).

Aimone Principe di Savoia Aosta is the first son and second of three children born to Amedeo Duca d'Aosta and his ex-wife Princess Claude de France.

http://www.monarchia.it/home.htm

FIDANZAMENTI REALI:
AIMONE DI SAVOIA E OLGA DI GRECIA

S.A.R. Il Duca d'Aosta ha dato oggi la notizia del fidanzamento di suo figlio S.A.R. il Principe Aimone Savoia-Aosta, Duca delle Puglie, con S.A.R. la Principessa Olga di Grecia, figlia del Principe Michele di Grecia.

L'U.M.I. e FERT si uniscono alla gioia degli augusti Principi e si congratulano vivamente.

:)
Congrats to them & the families.
How old are the bride & bridegroom to be?

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
:) .
How old are the bride & bridegroom to be?

The bride is 34 and the groom is 37.

Here are the pics of the bride and the groom (quite a moustache):)

Attachments

• olgagreece.jpg
    olgagreece.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 2,752
  • 1971ogr.gif
    1971ogr.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 6,265
  • todaysaa.jpg
    todaysaa.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 6,336
  • fert003.jpg
    fert003.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 4,983
I've heard of Princess Olga but not of the Prince. Do you think this is an arranged marraige? Why would these 2 marry? Their royal houses are not reigning. Did they date long?

Pic of the couple

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 11,223
Royals still marry royals. I don't think modern royal marriages are of the arranged kind, but I think it's because of their exposures to one another. Being royals, your social circle isn't very wide and you tend to run into other royals in functions.

BTW, he's quite cute, IMHO.

The facial hair on the groom....its different for this day & age. He kinda looks like he stepped out of a time capsule (sp?) with it. I'm not saying its bad or anything....but different. :)

Doesn't he look like the pictures of Czar Alexander II of Russia? The last Czar with the mustache?

Has the wedding date been announced yet?

The two are related, both descendents of George I of Greece. Princess Olga is his great-grand daughter, and Prince Aimone is his great-great grandson.

George I - P. Christopher - P. Michael - P. Olga

George I - Constantine I - P. Irene, Duchess of Aosta - P. Amedeo, Duke of Aosta - P. Aimone

Last edited:
She could be out of a time capsule to. They look kind of creepy to me in that last shot with the forest in the background.

Wasn't Princess Olga Profiled in the Vanity Fair Issue (US Edition) from 2003.....in Sept. or Oct. It had all the Royals in the issue- with Prince William on the cover.
If I remember correctly it said she studied butterflies or something like that in the Rain Forrest? Am I thinking of the right Princess?? I have the issue still, but it is packed away so I can't look at it.

Lady Jennifer said:
Wasn't Princess Olga Profiled in the Vanity Fair Issue (US Edition) from 2003.....in Sept. or Oct. It had all the Royals in the issue- with Prince William on the cover.
If I remember correctly it said she studied butterflies or something like that in the Rain Forrest? Am I thinking of the right Princess?? I have the issue still, but it is packed away so I can't look at it.
She was included. The pic is posted in The Royal Library srction. Scroll down to post 11.

Thanks

Just wanted to say Thanks. I remember the picture now. :)

they not only both descend from king George I of Greece, but they also descend from the Duke of Guise (Orleanist pretender to the french throne).

DoGuise -> Henri, Count of Paris -> Claude, Dss of Aosta -> Aimone

DoGuise -> Francoise, Pss of Greece -> Michael, Ps of Greece -> Olga

Prince Aimone & Princess Olga

It was stated on the ERMB that Prince Aimone, Duke of Apulia, and Princess Olga have been living together for some time. They are currently living in Moscow where Prince Aimone is working.

It is not an arranged marriage.

Prince Aimone's father is HRH Prince Amedeo of Savoy, Duke of Aosta. Duke Amedeo was assaulted by Prince Vittorio Emanuele of Savoy at the reception after last year's Spanish Royal Wedding, to the horror of the other guests. Apparently he fell, bleeding, into the arms of Queen Anne Marie and an Arab Sheikh. King Juan Carlos was heard to mutter "never again!"

There is a rivalry between these two branches of the Royal House of Savoy; the Duke of Aosta is seen to be a gentleman, and Prince Vittorio Emanuele less so. It will be interesting to see if any of the rival Savoys are invited to the wedding. Probably unlikely!

Prince Aimone's mother is Princess Claude, the daughter of the late Comte de Paris, Head of the Royal House of France. She and the Duke were divorced in 1982, and both have since remarried.

ps.. in some other photos Prince Aimone's beard and moustache look very Salvador Dali.

Attachments

• Savoy-Aosta.jpg
    Savoy-Aosta.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,856
  • Aimone S-A.jpg
    Aimone S-A.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 812
A beautiful couple, they have been dating for a while...I hoped they would get married :)

At last an equal marriage again.

I highly doubt it that the picture was the reason they met. I think that the two must have known each other long before the picture was taken as Olga appeared on various celebrations of the Orleans family (with her parents) Her father was an orphen when he was 14 and the late count of Paris oversaw his nephews education etc. The late countess of Paris (Aimone's grandmother) was close to him as well.

ohhh!!! i loved this notice!! the monarchy really needed an equal marriage!! it's great they are going to marry and that they are happy... :)

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE COUPLE!!!

any ideas on when will the engagement be?

tiaraprin said:
They are rivals because they both claim to be the heir to the throne of Italy.

Vittorio Emanuele is the son of ex King Umberto II. Vittorio Emanuele put his status in limbo according to the following passage from Royal Families of Europe by Geoffrey Hindley:

"According to others who would style themselves true legitimists, the claim to the crown in fact passed to a distant cousin, Prince Amadeus of Savoy, Duke of Aosta, on the day in 1970 when Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples, married without his father's prior consent. By a family statute or patent of 1780, any claimant to the titles of the House of Savoy who marries without the permission of the Head of the House loses all entitlement for himself and his descendants. In January 1970, the Prince married his companion of some years' standing, the Swiss-born Marina Doria, by civil ceremony in Las Vegas, Nevada. King Umberto certainly withheld his permission, though without giving a reason. Whether it was that the lady was a commoner, or that the ceremony was a civil one is not clear. The decision of the Prince and Princess to go through with a religious ceremony in Tehran in 1971 made little difference to King Umberto's attitude. But he did attend the baptism of their son Filiberto and pronounced him Prince of Venice."

Hence this is a fight over who is the legitimate heir.

I got this from the Felipe wedding thread. Aside from love could this be the reason why these 2 are marrying? Marrying royalty would certainly give them a better chance of getting back on the throne.... Doesn't royalty have to marry royalty to ascend over there?

lashinka2002 said:
I got this from the Felipe wedding thread. Aside from love could this be the reason why these 2 are marrying? Marrying royalty would certainly give them a better chance of getting back on the throne.... Doesn't royalty have to marry royalty to ascend over there?

As for Italy and Greece, I would think it has about the same chance as a snowball in Hades before the monarchies is restored. I don't think a majority of Italian and Greek people are too anxious to have a king/queen again.

In regards to the legitimate heir for Italy, I would think that the Duke of Aosta would be the true heir by a technicality. Vittorio Emmanuele is heir by birth, but because he married without his father's permission, it was clear he cut himself and his descendants from the line of succession. The Duke of Aosta, though not a direct descendant of the former king, is the heir due to a legality, not by birth.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
Doesn't he look like the pictures of Czar Alexander II of Russia? The last Czar with the mustache?

My mistake, it was Czar Nicholas II, not Alexander.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
As for Italy and Greece, I would think it has about the same chance as a snowball in Hades before the monarchies is restored. I don't think a majority of Italian and Greek people are too anxious to have a king/queen again.

In regards to the legitimate heir for Italy, I would think that the Duke of Aosta would be the true heir by a technicality. Vittorio Emmanuele is heir by birth, but because he married without his father's permission, it was clear he cut himself and his descendants from the line of succession. The Duke of Aosta, though not a direct descendant of the former king, is the heir due to a legality, not by birth.

Maybe they are still hopeful and that's the reason for a royal match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom