King Vittorio Emanuele III (1869-1947) and Queen Elena neé Montenegro (1873-1952)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mknyazev

Commoner
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
I'd appreciate portrets and detailed info on Elena del Montenegro (most of all) and her husband.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
pics from VAT and Casa Savoia

Queen Elena of Italy (1873-1952), wife of King Vittorio Emanuele III, daughter of Nicholas II, King of Montenegro

QueenElena2.jpg
. . .
QueenElena1.jpg

QueenElena.jpg
. . .
KingVittorioEmanueleIIIQueenElena.jpg

My Mom, who was a kid when Italy was still a monarchy, told me that people used to call her " a shepherd king's daughter. I also read that her mother-in-law, Queen Margherita usually referred to her as the shepherd-girl.

That's interesting detail as a royal trivia. Gives us an idea of how the Montenegro family was viewed by more established royal families. In the Russian section, the part on the Grand Duchess Maria's Bragation mother, I read that a similar problem arose when some grand dukes married a couple of Montenegro princesses. The question was then if they are an equal marriage to a royal/imperial prince or not.
But the nickname you mentioned throws a new light that the Montenegro princess that married Victor Emanuel was not that welcome as an equal in Italy.

Queen Elena and Grand Duchesses Militza and Anastasia were the daughters of a reigning monarch and therefore equal. However, royal equality in rank and status did not make them social equals in the minds of the insufferably snobbish, due to their Balkan Slavic ancestry.

Last edited:
According to what late journalist/historian Indro Montanelli wrote in his book "History of Italy" the king of Montenegro was not a reigning monarch , but just the most powerful chieftain of the Montenegro area.

Tosca said:
According to what late journalist/historian Indro Montanelli wrote in his book "History of Italy" the king of Montenegro was not a reigning monarch , but just the most powerful chieftain of the Montenegro area.
True to a degree, but every dynasty has to start somewhere (the Grimaldis were described as pirates).
The Turkish Sultan recognised Montenegro's independence in 1799 and Russia recognised the Vladika (elected but hereditary bishop/ruler) as a Sovereign Prince in 1852. Prince Peter declared himself King in 1910. The dynasty of Petrovic-Njegos had ruled sinced 1696, which is quite a bit longer than the Bonapartes, or Bernadottes.

Kind of put into perspective the double standard between royals who are seeking for a bride. Montenegro was geographically bigger than some German states and in an important spot in Europe, yet their royals were viewed as upstarts compared to their equivalents in the German states? Ironically, the Montenegro princesses were viewed as the most beautiful royal catch in Europe, from what I get from my books praising their looks and height. Something inherited by Gabriela os Savoy, sister of the claimant to the Italian throne. I saw a picture of her (with a young and skinny Juan Carlos) in Vanidades magazine a couple of years ago when she was in her teens, circa late 50's, and she was like a modern day statuesque supermodel. A family trait I doubt she inherited from the Savoy side of the family. She was the girlfriend of a young Juan Carlos and later I read she even bewitched the Shah of Iran with her looks.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies and pictures of Elena.
I know that she deslikes Mussolini. I'd like to learn more. I live in Russia and there is no info on Italian royalty here. I'm interested in her life in exile, her interests\hobbies, palaces, her support to her daughter Giovanna and grandson Simeon... I'd like to have a portrait od Giovanna too.

mknyazev said:
Thanks for replies and pictures of Elena.
I know that she deslikes Mussolini. I'd like to learn more. I live in Russia and there is no info on Italian royalty here. I'm interested in her life in exile, her interests\hobbies, palaces, her support to her daughter Giovanna and grandson Simeon... I'd like to have a portrait od Giovanna too.

Well, we can't help on the portrait but we can help on tracking down interesting sources of information about her life. Here are some things on her to help you, the sites mention her and the people associated with her life. Happy reading:;)
http://www.thepeerage.com/p10406.htm

E-Books: Suitors and Suppliants: The Little Nations at Versailles
From the above E-Books link, a more specific search:
King Nicholas of Montenegro and Essad Pasha of Albania: The Black Mountain Folk vs. the Sons of the Eagle

titles of available books and articles about them: http://www.picrare.com/Royalty_Digest/RDTableOfContents/RDContentsItaly.htm

An interview with Princess Milena Petrović-Njegoš Thompson

:eek: And the best find of the day, to my surprise there is even a VHS tape available titled "The Kingdom of Montenegro" : VHS. I will put in in my shopping list myself

Hope that helps your hobby research so you become our TRForums' Elena of Montenegro Expert soon! :)

Last edited:
A picture of King Vittorio Emanuele III and Queen Elena taken in Rome in 1905, where the King appears to be ironizing on his short height:

La Domenica del Corriere

I read some where that he was an atheist can anyone tell me whether or not it is true.

King Vittorio-Emanuele III was not an atheist and he had a very devout wife.

Princess Yolanda of Savoy,Countess of Bergolo was born on June 1st,1901

435px-Princess_Yolanda_of_Italy.jpg

Fabrizio Bertot,member of the European Parliament, asked the European Parliament to help for the return of King Victor Emanuel III of Italy's remains to Italy because of the risky situation of Egypt:

U.M.I. - News

King Vittorio Emanuele III would bring Queen Elena roses from the garden he collected himself. :rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2:

Mr Emanuele-Filiberto di Savoia speaks again about the burial of the last two King and Queens of Italy at the Pantheon and not at Superga:

Politica - iltempo

I did not know King Vittorio Emmanuele was interred in Alexandria. After the blast of the Italian consulate there, indeed the cri de coeur by Princess Maria Gabriella is understandable. I hope that also King Umberto II is granted to be interred in Rome. At the other hand, his last resting place, the Abbaye Royale d'Hautecombe, has always been the burial site for the House of Savoia.

It won't be easy to convince the Italian politicians to allow the burial of King Victor Emanuel III in Rome.

And why not also the remains of her father? He also isn't buried in Rome.

I believe the Princess asked about her father as well. But al least her father is resting in the historic mausoleum of the House of Savoia, so it is less urgent than the last remains of King Vittorio Emmanuele III.

King Vittorio Emmanuele is buried at Saint Catherine's RC Cathedral in Alexandria,Egypt.

180px-Alexandria%2C_Kirche_St._Katharina.jpg

In her letter, the Princess asked for the reburial in Rome of her grandfather in order to preserve his remains from possible attacks of IS, after the recent IS attack at the Italian Consulate in Cairo.

:previous: Could you please give a summary of the interview? Very few people here are able to understand Italian.

Back
Top Bottom