The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Courtier

Website hola.com has a lovely article about Queen Maria- Jose'.
María José de Bélgica, la última reina de Italia

Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Proclamation of King Umberto II on 10th May 1946 under the thundering joy of tenths of thousands of Romans at a balcony of the Quirinale Palace.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AgH6LDobnq...Re+Umberto.jpg

Old 09-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Commoner

A curious episode of Maria José's life in Naples:

Here
Old 01-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Crowds of Italians greeted Marie Jose when she was Crown Princess in 1930.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Let's hope the remains of King Umberto II and of the queen Maria Jose will soon be brought to Vicoforte soon. The idea of the Pantheon won't certainly be accepted by Italian authorities.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The castle of Merlings, in Switzerland, former residence of the late Queen Maria José in exile, has been put up for sale:
https://pacificunionla.com/listings/...-switzerland-0
Old 05-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Let's hope the remains of King Umberto II and of the queen Maria Jose will soon be brought to Vicoforte soon. The idea of the Pantheon won't certainly be accepted by Italian authorities.
Isn't King Victor Emmanuel II buried in the Pantheon?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King Vittorio Emanuele II is indeed buried in the Pantheon in Rome, as well as his son King Umberto I and his daughter-in-law Queen Margherita.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Crowds of Italians greeted Marie Jose when she was Crown Princess in 1930.
Seeing these videos I ask how the monarchy fell? I think it's weird. The Kings were popular, from what I've seen in the videos.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Seeing these videos I ask how the monarchy fell? I think it's weird. The Kings were popular, from what I've seen in the videos.
The way I've understood it the main reasons was Victor Emmanuel's refusal to abdicate in time before the referendum to make it possible for his son to save the monarchy by having enough time to distance it from the fascist regime, while southern Italy had been liberated for a substantial time before the referendum and had allowed Umberto & Maria Jose opportunities to endear themselves to the population there in the north their opposition to the fascist regime was practically unknown and finally the referendum was flawed and performed in a country still in chaos and with large parts of the electorate unaccounted for.

Tags
italy, king umberto ii, marie jose, queen marie jose, savoy, umberto ii