King Umberto II (1904-1983) and Queen Marie-José (1906-2001)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Photo of King Umberto II.
He reigned only 34 days between May 9 and June 12, 1946.

Attachments

• 106810506_2654577898149542_3890259897228930709_n.jpg
    106810506_2654577898149542_3890259897228930709_n.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Who was the individual who gave King Umberto II the title of "the King of May"?

People in Italy surname Umberto II the King of May because he reigned only one month, the month of May. Also Queen Maria José is named the Queen of May.

Princess Marie José announced her engagement in a letter she send to her parents !
I wonder if they were happy ?
The Wedding Celebrations took 10 days wich made King Albert angry and Queen Elisabert was ill !

Princess Marie José announced her engagement in a letter she send to her parents !
I wonder if they were happy ?
The Wedding Celebrations took 10 days wich made King Albert angry and Queen Elisabert was ill !

I doubt Princess Marie José could have married without the King's consent so they must have approved it.

The House of Savoy was one of the oldest and most distinguished royal houses of Europe and Italy is one of the largest European countries in population. So, at first sight, a marriage to the Crown Prince of Italy would be a plus for a Princess of Belgium.

Unfortunately, King Vittorio Emanuele III disgraced his and his family's reputation by putting up with a dreadful fascist dictator whom he could have removed from power several times, especially in the 1920s before Mussolini's power grab. Maybe that was a factor in Marie José's parents not being ecstatic about the marriage? Ultimately, at a personal level, it didn't end up being a happy marriage either, so I feel sorry for Queen Marie José.

The arrangement was done since they were born .. but Adult Umberto waited a lot before asking our Princess to be his wife...

Indeed, their marriage was arranged many and many years before it actually took place. IIRC the plans for a marriage to Umberto was one of the reasons (if not the main reason) why Maria José was sent to study in Italy during World War I.

We had Years ago an exhibition with Queen Marie José Glitteriing Clothes.
I saw the letter of the Princess annoncing endly her engagement.

King Umbero did the sketch for most ot her evening dresses.

The day of her Wedding the Princess broke her sleeves which were to narrow. She is seen on her Wedding Day without sleeves and her Veil covering her Shoulders !

Her Veil : as tey had no time to do it they took two pieces of lace and gahered them!

Last edited:
Yes.

Gossip of the time says that Umberto was in love with the Italian singer Milly.
Other rumours say that Prince Umberto took a very close interest in the gentlemen of the court.

A documentary about King Umberto II. Includes an interview with Queen Maria José.

As she was engaged to Umberto since her birth !! she went during WW1 in an italian catholic School , so she spoke italian fluently.

Yes she spoke italian.
I know she spoke italian, french and english and a little swedish. I don't know if she spoke spanish.
I read she know german, but she had made a promise never to speak it again.

On Wednesday 15 September at 5 pm in the Councilors room of the Metropolitan City of Turin at Palazzo Cisterna (via Maria Vittoria 12), the "Pannunzio" Center and the "Regina Elena" Association will remember, 20 years after her death, the last Queen of 'Italy Maria José of Savoy.

On the occasion, a video - interview conducted by Enzo Biagi will be screened and the historian Pier Franco Quaglieni will remember Maria José whom he met in person.

https://iltorinese.it/2021/09/12/in-memoria-dellultima-regina-ditalia-maria-jose/

Back
Top Bottom