Duke Carlos Javier and the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma 1: August 2010- 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bea is Cecilia's, so I'd not be surprised if WA is godfather to this baby. He is one of Zita's godparents

The cousins do live quite apart but I'd think they see each other at holidays and such. I always wished I had cousins close in age, mine were either 3 years older or 3 years younger, and that difference seems huge as kids.

Very happy for the House of Bourbon Parme who could give him the surname of Carlos.

Bea is Cecilia's, so I'd not be surprised if WA is godfather to this baby. He is one of Zita's godparents.

Prince Carlos, the present Duke and proud father of the newborn Prince, was more or less the fourth boy in the family of -then- Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. He did spend a lot of time together with his cousins Willem-Alexander, Johan Friso and Constantijn.

Picture: Carlos between aunt Beatrix and uncle Claus

Picture: Carlos between cousin Willem-Alexander and cousin Johan Friso

Picture: Carlos on the lap of aunt Beatrix

Prince Carlos, the present Duke and proud father of the newborn Prince, was more or less the fourth boy in the family of -then- Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus. He did spend a lot of time together with his cousins Willem-Alexander, Johan Friso and Constantijn.

Picture: Carlos between aunt Beatrix and uncle Claus

Picture: Carlos between cousin Willem-Alexander and cousin Johan Friso

Picture: Carlos on the lap of aunt Beatrix

Claus was a second father to all of Irene's kids. After the divorce, they moved back to the Netherlands and lived with Irene's parents. Claus would have filled a void caused by their dad not being a constant in their life. They seemed to have been close to their Uncle before that, which likely helped the kids adjust after the divorce, strengthening the bond.

This link shows a bundle of requests for incorporation into the Nobility of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. From Devivere, De Bourbon de Parme, Von Balluseck and De Lange van Bergen.

Page 4 and 5 shows the request of the four children of Princess Irene:

[To Her Majesty The Queen]

With due respect give to know:

Carlos Javier Bernardo de Bourbon de Parme
born in Nijmegen, 27 Januari 1970,

Margarita Maria Beatriz de Bourbon de Parme,
born in Nijmegen, 13 October 1972,

Jaime Bernardo de Bourbon de Parme,
born in Nijmegen, 13 October 1972,

Maria Carolina Christina de Bourbon de Parme,
born in Nijmegen, 23 June 1974,

children of His Royal Highness Charles Hugues Xavier Marie Sixte Louis Robert Jean Georges Benoît Michel Prince de Bourbon de Parme and of Your sister Her Royal Highness Irene Emma Elizabeth Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Princess of Lippe-Biesterfeld,

that the Nobility Act states in Article 8 that incorporation into the Nobility is possible for persons whom already hold Dutch citizenship, when a request has been submitted before 1 August 1999 and the requestee descends from a family which belongs to the legally recognized nobility of a state with a comparable statute of nobility,

that the requestees have, amongst more, the Dutch and the Spanish citizenship,

that they descend from a family which successively has delivered Kings of France, Kings of Spain and Dukes of Parma,

that the branch De Bourbon de Parme is a branch of the reigning Royal House of Spain,

that Spain is a state with a legally recognized nobility and a comparable statute of nobility,

therefore respectfully requests Your Majesty to incorporate them into the Nobility of the Kingdom of the Netherlands as Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme with the to this title attached predicate of Royal Highness.

11 January 1996,
Wijk bij Duurstede,

Carlos de Bourbon de Parme [signed]

Margarita de Bourbon de Parme [signed]

Jaime de Bourbon de Parme [signed]

Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme
[signed]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally Queen Beatrix issued the following Royal Decree:

We Beatrix, by the grace of God, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, Etc., Etc., Etc.,

Given the nomination by Our Minister of the Interior d.d. 9 May 1996, Nr. BK/961323,

Having read the request d.d. 11 January 1996 by
Carlos Javier Bernardo de Bourbon de Parme, born in Nijmegen, 27 Januari 1970, at present residing in ..........,
Margarita Maria Beatriz de Bourbon de Parme, born in Nijmegen, 13 October 1972, at present residing in ..........,
Jaime Bernardo de Bourbon de Parme, born in Nijmegen, 13 October 1972, at present residing in .......... and of
Maria Carolina Christina de Bourbon de Parme, born in Nijmegen, 23 June 1974, at present residing in ..........;

With the purpose that the first and the third requestees with their descendants in the male lineage, both male and female, and the second and fourth requestees, for their persons only, become incorporated into the Nobility of the Netherlands with the title of Prince (Princess) and the predicate Royal Highness;

Given Article 8 of the Nobility Act;

Having seen the advice by the High Council of Nobility d.d. 12 March 1996, Nr 96/83-87(86);

HAVE APPROVED AND UNDERSTAND HEREWITH;

Article 1
To incorporate into the Nobility of the Netherlands with the title of Prince (Princess) and the predicate Royal Highness:
Carlos Javier de Bourbon de Parme and Jaime Bernardo de Bourbon de Parme as beforementioned, with their descendants in the male lineage according legal regulations, both male and female;
Margarita Maria Beatriz de Bourbon de Parme and Maria Carolina Christina de Bourbon de Parme as beforementioned, for their persons only;

Article 2
To designate that this Decree, according to the existing regulations, will only be executed after a registration has been made into the General Register of the Nobility of the Netherlands.

Our Minister of the Interior is in charge for the execution of this Decree, which will be published in the State Gazette.

The Hague,
15 May 1996

B e a t r i x [signed]

The Minister of the Interior

H.F. Dijkstal [signed]

Last edited:
Congratulations to the family! :flowers:
Little Carlos is beautiful and I love his outfit in those photos. His name is also very nice, and also rather traditional (which I kind of expected).

"Going to be driving me nuts too, because now I'm going to be trying to figure out how to make his sweater. :)"

Exactly my first thought :) I wish I had better knitting skills.

The Duke of Parma as Director of INSID, the institute for sustainable innovation and development, attended the 5th "Rede van Fryslan" in Leeuwarden yesterday, May 25. The subject was the circular economy.

** ppe gallery **

It is almost as if His Majesty The King is received: picture. I like it that the Friesians do it in style as well for the Duke of Parma, himself equally a descendant of the Friesian Nassaus as his cousin Willem-Alexander.

:previous: Those are precious photos, thank you for sharing them with us An Ard Ri. The Duke and Duchess of Parma's children are so sweet, I love Princess Luisa's smocked dress! It has quite a vintage feel, which is nice. The photos of little Prince Carlos are adorable, too.

Very sweet! Cecilia is a copy of her mother and the little boy looks like his father.

But I can't see any similarity to a parent in Luisa. Maybe time will work this out :)

[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Don Carlos Javier and doña Ana Maria of B-P announce The celebration of a Te Deum in Barcelona next October to officiallly present his first son, Carlos Enrique.
As Head of the (Spanish) Dynasty and Head of the House of B-P, he wants to affirm the Spanish condition of his son, born in the Netherlands.
The act will also remind the boy's grandfather, Carlos Hugo, who lived in Barcelona in his last years and who was not allowed by the regime to officially present Carlos Javier, Carlos Hugo and Irene's son, to the Spanish people when he was born.
The couple invite their supporters to attend to know their son Prince Carlos Enrique and their daughters, Infantas Luisa Irene and Cecilia Maria. Their parents and their families will be present.

Por Don Carlos: COMUNICADO DE LA SECRETARÍA PARTICULAR DE DON CARLOS JAVIER DE BORBÓN PARMA

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Interesting announcement. I wonder if Jaime and his family will attend? Jaime is the Dutch Ambassador to the Vatican. He would be seen as supporting his brother's Carlist Claim to the Spanish Throne in contradiction to the alliance of the Netherlands and Spain, with the Netherlands recognizing the present ruling Monarch and his family. It's hard to believe Carlos has decided to carry on the Carlist Claim, he should have left it up to his Uncle Sixtus.

What a farce. I certainly hope that Prince Jaime does not attend. And if he does the diplomatic service should fire him.

What a farce. I certainly hope that Prince Jaime does not attend. And if he does the diplomatic service should fire him.

Indeed!!Totally pompous over nothing & nada!

Really,these non-reigning houses have the silliest et redicule du monde..and proof they
learned nothing from history...Nice decoration,but other then that totally of the planet!
What a shame,I thought/hoped Princess Irene's eldest son had more sense of reality.

But as the Te Deum is also in honour of the Duke's late father,our Carlos Hugo,I think all his
siblings will be in attendance,unless ofcourse Jaime & Viktoria have a "diplomatic cough",or
are otherwise indisposed...which I hope,as it doesn't befit a Dutch Ambassador to attend a
ceremony honouring a non-existent but nonetheless present heir to a throne they have no
business with other then historic claims,or call it hysteric like i do,from times long gone..and Thank Goodness for that!

We here celebrate history,but my word,I would lead a rebellion if most of 'm would ever gain power again!
Amen.Other then that,it's a bloody rainy monday...

Last edited:
It is just acknowledging the Carlist Tradition, no more, no less. No one has heard Prince Carlos or Prince Jaime making claims on the throne of Spain or calling for an overturning of the throne of King Felipe VII.

The Duke of Parma, officially representing the King of the Netherlands, did attend the funeral of Queen Ana, the spouse of a claimant on the throne of Romania. When he can do that, then Prince Jaime can attend the presentation of his very own nephew in the framework of the Carlist Tradition. Nonsens to shout for a Berufsverbot to attend a familial event in Barcelona.

Last edited:
Interesting announcement. I wonder if Jaime and his family will attend? Jaime is the Dutch Ambassador to the Vatican. He would be seen as supporting his brother's Carlist Claim to the Spanish Throne in contradiction to the alliance of the Netherlands and Spain, with the Netherlands recognizing the present ruling Monarch and his family. It's hard to believe Carlos has decided to carry on the Carlist Claim, he should have left it up to his Uncle Sixtus.

There is no "claim". The Duke of Parma sees himself as the standardbearer of the Carlist Tradition. There is no any active encouragement to deny the King of Spain his throne. It is the same as the Duke of Calabria attending events in Sicily and Naples, seeing himself as the claimant to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. There is no any desire to overturn the Government in Rome or so.

:previous:

Duke Carlos released a statement in 2014 in which he says that he is the lawful heir of the Spanish throne. A few days later he clarified through a spokesperson that he does not claim the Spanish throne but that he also does not reject it.

What Carlos does is his own business of course. But Prince Jaime officially represents the Netherlands abroad. For King Willem-Alexander the issue must be a nuisance and an embarrassement. The duke only re-vived the claim after the abdication of his aunt Queen Beatrix.

The Carlist claims of the Parma's are shaky at best. Indeed, best left to the nutty Prince Sixtus.

Last edited:
He also referred to his daughters as "Infantas" in that press release. :whistling: :lol:

Marengo, fortunately for his brother Jaime, I don't think many outside of the very select group of world royal watchers know what Duke Carlos is doing or claiming, or cares. I doubt it will make the mainstream press in any form. I think Jaime can attend without really any backlash.

Last edited:
:previous:

[...]

What Carlos does is his own business of course. But Prince Jaime officially represents the Netherlands abroad.

[...]

Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme is the Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands at the Holy See. His possible private attendance at a familial event in the framework of the Carlist Tradition is not against any interest of the State of the Netherlands.

In fact there is no difference with the private attendance of Prince Jaime at the annual events in Parma and Piacenza. Also here he is not acting against any interest of the State of the Netherlands.

I would say: laissez faire, laissez passer (let it go). No one takes it serious, maybe not even the Bourbon-Parmas themselves.

Don Carlos Javier and doña Ana Maria of B-P announce The celebration of a Te Deum in Barcelona next October to officiallly present his first son, Carlos Enrique.

You think his other "first" son will be invited?
:lol: sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

In essence it is a religious event, a Te Deum, and the Duke will show the infant prince to the Carlists.

The head of state (Queen Juliana) and various members of the Royal House have been present at quite carlist-coloured baptisms in Lignières.

The head of state (Queen Juliana) has officially included the then future carlist pretender during her State Visit to President Pompidou of France.

The King of Spain (Don Juan Carlos) included the carlist pretender in his contra-prestation during his State Visit to the Netherlands.

The head of state (Queen Beatrix) used Noordeinde Palace and the state airplane for funeral arrangements of the carlist pretender.

If all this was no problem, then also the possible attendance of Ambassador Prince Jaime at this Te Deum is nothing. Even Ambassadors have free time to attend Mass...

I can see the let it be, but if there's doubt that the Bourbon Parmas take the Carlist movement seriously, why the official pronouncements by Carlos?
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm being serious in questioning. Was this something that perhaps his father wished or perhaps to keep Sixtus in check? Didn't Carlos Hugo tone down his Carlist position in his later years or am I mistaken?

In 2003 the Duke of Parma suddenly renewed the carlist claim during a doom-and-gloom speech in Arbonne (in French Pays Basque) to Carlist supporters. With a quite prophetic eye (we can now say in 2016) already then the Duke saw 4 major crises coming:
1 - a political crisis with parties maintaining a partisan attitude instead putting the interest of the common good first;
2 - a crisis in states, with regions drifting apart in their zest for more autonomy or even independence;
3 - a social crisis with a deepening gap between the haves and the have-nots which will lead to uncontrollable migrations;
4 - a mondial crisis of terrorism (the Twin Towers were attacked and the Second Gulf War was in full scale then).

We tend to see Carlism as fighting the rightful King, but the Duke of Parma saw it more as a "movement" with a quite leftist agenda showing a too optimistic view in the goodness of mankind. So it was more a strange mix of maintaining the Carlist Tradition and encouraging "change", without being specific.

All the four warnings uttered in 2003 have come true, I must admit. The sort of "enlighted and progressive" Carlism the Duke wanted has caused a deep rift in that House. His late mother, his eldest sister and his brother all desavoued him for being "a traitor to true Carlism" (= the arch conservative, extreme right and ultra-Catholic version).

When I hear the current Duke or read about him, I see that he has been infected with the unrealistic, sometimes surreal and esoteric worldviews of his mother Irene and his father Carlos-Hugo. With really aiming to the throne of Spain, all this has nothing to do.

When Carlos Hugo died, the King and Queen of Spain officially sent their condoleances and ordered a wreath of flowers with their royal monograms to be laid at his coffin. So the Dutch and Spanish Royal Houses seem to take it lightly and with pragmatism.

Also the King of Spain has a lot of titles which are part of the royal patrimonium but have no factual importance anymore.

Last edited:
The connection with the Duchy of Parma is far more pragmatic for the Duke himself. He attended different eve ts especially linked with the Order.
Will his youngest son be baptized in Parma or Piacenza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom