The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Italy

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Sean:

To address your contention first, I used the term "noteable exception" in regards to the absence of Spanish royals at Maria Carolina's baptism, not "sole exception". "Noteable" means "worthy of notice", not "solitary".
You said that Europe's royals turned out in large numbers and that the notable exception was Spain. This gives the impression that you were referring to to reigning houses (which Spain is) & that Spain was the only noteable exception among them. The fact of the matter is that none of the reigning houses were represented (in any capacity), with the exception of two. Perhaps you should have worded it better and stated that they were perhaps not present because of the enmity between the two families.

Quote:
I really didn't feel that it was necessary to list every single royal house, reigning and non-reigning, that was not represented at the event in my original post, but simply to note that it was "noteable" that the Spaniards did not attend. Considering the fact that this was not a state event, but a private celebration, and given the past enmity between the two families, I'd venture a guess that they weren't invited. As far as reigning monarchies sending representatives in an official capacity, we can review the differences between "private celebrations" and "state events" in more depth if you feel it necessary to do so.
Snort. Firstly, no one said anything about an official capacity. Secondly, I'm very familiar with the difference between State and private functions, thank you. Obviously it is you that needs the review. There can be no "state event" if there is no state to begin with.

Quote:
Even if every reigning monarch, consort , and heir-apparent in Europe had attended, they all would have been there in an unofficial capacity as it was private function.
Yes, I'm well aware. The fact of the mater is that the reigning houses of Europe were not represented -- either officially (which is impossible in this case) or unofficially.

Quote:
As for the rest, I've never seen quite so many hairs being split simultaneously in my life!
Well, what can I say, I'm pedantic and tend to generally know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
(and no, I didn't claim they were royal - thanks again for putting words in my mouth).
Actually, you did. You prefaced the top half of your list of names with the following sentence: " Among the other royal guests, there were..." :P

Quote:
However, I note with satisfaction that you did catch the names of those whose royal status is generally unquestioned (even if they don't satisfy your rather exacting moral standards, or come from non-reigning houses, or simply aren't appealing to you)
Well, don't get too "satisfied", because, their status *isn't* generally unquestioned. More specifically, they are all non-reigning and only carry titles of pretension. These titles have no legal currency per se and, thus, their (supposed) royal status can be questioned (and has been).

Quote:
conveniently left off when you capped the royalty on the guest list at the "jet-setting" Grimaldis, Prince and Princess Laurent, and "a Bonaparte".
Quote:
Read the above. I didn't convienently leave them off. I just don't consider all of them royalty. And the "a Bonaparte" was in reference to the husband of Beatrice de Bourbon, not the guests in attendence.

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but several scions of reigning royal houses have their share of moral and behavioral shortcomings as well. Their messes just get cleaned up more quietly.

Who's denying that? I don't kow-tow to any of them, so don't worry about bursting my bubble. I hold everyone to the same standard. [/QUOTE] And I don't have exacting moral standards. I just draw the line at certain things, particularly when people are touting themselves as 'leaders'.

Quote:
(And just in case you feel compelled to subtlely remand me for referring to the Grimaldis as "royalty", I already know the technicalities, thank you - it's just that there's no such word as "princelty").
The correct way to refer to them is as princely. The Princely Grimaldi's or the Grimaldi's of Monaco.

Quote:
salute your vast and varied knowledge, even if I don't necessarily agree with your interpretations or share your conclusions. We could go around and around on this issue and it would get us nowhere, as the two factions of the House of the Two Sicilies themselves have been unable to put it to rest and end it amicably for 43 years.
Quote:
Likewise. And actually, I'm not even remotely interested in them, although I know quite a bit about the imbroglio. I was just pointing out that, going by the rule of law, your conclusions are not correct.
Quote:
By the way, the senior Bourbon is Luis Alfonso, not Juan Carlos. Speaking in terms of strict primogeniture, that is, although you may qualify things in terms of reigning and non-reigning, or apply particular moral filters in your assessments.
AFAIC, he isn't the senior Bourbon because his grandfather renounced his rights and his French claim is questionable to say the least. And I do tend to qualify things in the sense of reigning and non-reigning or the last reigning (as the case may be). They tend to have more legitimacy.

I'm off to the gym. Have a nice day.

Sean

Old 12-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Perillos@Dec 5th, 2003 - 3:53 pm
Sean:

Just to clarify, I can see why you thought I had described all the non-royals on that guests list as royals - I did a cut-and-paste from the Duke of Castro's website, so those were not actually my words lumping all the non-royals in with the royals. I acknowledge the fact that it looked that way, and that you weren't actually putting words in my mouth.
Don't worry about it. It's all in good debate. I didn't see this post before posting my previous message. In any event, for a change it's nice to debate/discuss with someone that knows what they're talking about (and/or presents good, thought out arguments. Even if we disagree.

Have a fabulous evening.
:flower:
S

Old 01-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Photos from IBL of the Duke and Duchess of Calabria and their two daughters:
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Aristocracy

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Don't worry about it. It's all in good debate. I didn't see this post before posting my previous message. In any event, for a change it's nice to debate/discuss with someone that knows what they're talking about (and/or presents good, thought out arguments. Even if we disagree.

Have a fabulous evening.
:flower:
S

It is a really a very interesting debate about Primogeniture/ Reigning...
Thank you for such interesting information...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Carlo and Princess Camilla of Borbone attend the Heart Of Children Benefit Gala at the Protomoteca Terrace at the Capitole on June 8, 2005 in Rome, Italy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53039841.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	156999   Click image for larger version

Name:	53039842.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	157000   Click image for larger version

Name:	53039844.jpg
Views:	1763
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	157001   Click image for larger version

Name:	53039847.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	157002  

Old 08-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

You can find pictures of the baptism of the Duke and Duchess of Calabria's second daughter, Maria Chiara, here (only small ones though, as Rex don't allow making them bigger).
Old 08-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Courtier

You'll probably need to delinieate exactly who you consider to be the head of the house - the Italian, or the Spaniard. Most houses (AIUI, all except Spain) recognise the Italian, but it could lead to conflicts.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Duke and Duchess of Calabria's second daughter, Maria Chiara, was baptized at Stella Maris De Porto Cervo Church in Sardinia, Italy on August 2, 2005. Princess Michael was one of the godparents. Prince Henrik of Denmark was also present.

Part 1
www.rexfeatures.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	538361A.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	178260   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361B.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	178261   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361D.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	178262   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361H.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	178263  

Name:	538361I.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	178264   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361J.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	178265   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361K.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	178266   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361L.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	178267  

Name:	538361M.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	178268   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361N.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	178269  
Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Part 2
www.rexfeatures.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	538361O.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	178270   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361P.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	178271   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361Q.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	178272   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361R.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	178273  

Name:	538361S.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	178274   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361T.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	178275   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361U.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	178276   Click image for larger version

Name:	538361V.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	178277  

Name:	538361AD.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	178278  
Old 08-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Majesty

Thanks pdas! What a beautiful baby!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Michael is a godmother to the new baby?? She is close to the Italian Royals??
Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Did the King of Spain invite this Duke and Duchess of Calabria to his sons wedding? I assume that he supports the claim of the other duke of Calabria, Infante Carlos (and his lovely wife Anne of France).
Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201
Duke and Duchess of Calabria's second daughter, Maria Chiara, was baptized at Stella Maris De Porto Cervo Church in Sardinia, Italy on August 2, 2005. Princess Michael was one of the godparents. Prince Henrik of Denmark was also present.

Part 1
www.rexfeatures.com
Thank you for posting the photos. Aww, their daughters are so beautiful. I think this photo is very sweet: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=178265 I'm sorry, but I don't really know much about this family. Who is the other child being baptised as well?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

i didn't know princess michael of kent was so close to the duke and his wife camilla either... :s
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Royal Highness

Princess Maria Chiara is a beautiful baby!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Bourbon-Two Sicilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle
I'm sorry, but I don't really know much about this family.
The Kingdom of the Two Sicilies was ruled by a branch of the Spanish Bourbons until it was forcibly annexed into the new Kingdom of Italy in 1860.

The Royal House of the Two Sicilies has a disputed succession. Since 1960 the Headship of the Royal House has been claimed by Prince Don Carlos, Duke of Calabria, and by Prince Don Ferdinando, Duke of Castro.

Don Carlos is married to Princess Anne of France and was granted the title of Infant of Spain by King Juan Carlos in 1994. Needless to say, the Spanish Royal House recognises Don Carlos as the rightful Head.

Don Carlos and Anne have one son and four daughters: Prince Pedro, whose first child was born in 1993 (scandal!), married the mother, Sofia Landaluce y Melgareja, in 2001, and has two more children. This marriage is not considered dynastic. The daughters are Cristina, married to Pedro Lopez-Quesada; Maria Paloma, married to Archduke Simeon of Austria; Ines, married to an Italian aristocrat; and Victoria, married to Marco Nomikos of the Greek shipping family.

The rival, Don Ferdinando, married Chantal, a French aristocrat (who died a few weeks ago). There are three children: Charles (Carlo) (styled Duke of Calabria as well, to add to the confusion), who married Camilla Crociani (the subject of this thread) in 1998; best man at the wedding in Monaco was Prince Albert; Beatrice, who married (and divorced) Charles, Prince Napoleon, and Anne, who married an aristocrat.

The bitter dispute over the Headship of the House may well resolve itself if Prince Pedro's sons are disqualified from the succession, and if Prince Charles has the longed-for son.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

Maria Chiara is sooooo beautiful and cute
Old 08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Princess Michael is Senior Dame of the British and Irish Delegation of the Constantinian Order, closely associated with the Calabria family. The other baby being christened is the daughter of the Duchess's sister, Cristina Crociani Delrieu. Cristina is married to Nicolas Delrieu. Their daughter is named Delia.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the pictures. The children are absolutely beautiful!! I am surprised that we didn't see Prince Laurent and Princess Claire present.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Courtier

that baby is so cute......i especially like the one where she put her finger in her mouth~!!!!

Tags
bourbon two sicilies, calabria, duchess of calabria, duke of calabria, two sicilies