Death and Funeral of Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria - 5 Oct. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find some comments about the infanta Cristina attending the funeral rather harsh. This is a funeral, to pay tribute to the life of a relative/ family friend. If we use the logic of some, it would mean that she would be forbidden to attend future funerals of her parents too?

And again: nobody is convicted yet, the trial still has to start. The Infanta's involvement is not clear either. I am glad she had the respect to show up to honour Infante Carlos, despite the negative reactions which she must have anticipated too. The easy way out would have been to stay away. I am sure that the family of the late duke is happy that she was there; they have known her from the day she was born probably.

Stefan said:
Could spot in some of the pics the Duke and Duchess of Braganza and Archduchess Anna Gabriela of Austria nect to the members of the spanish RF and the Siclies Family.

Also several members of the Bulgarian RF: princess Myriam, her eldest son Boris, prince Konstantin-Assen and his wife. From Spain as well the Infanta Margarita and her husband.

BTW: is there a reason why the Duchess of Noto is never walking or sitting next to her husband? She always seem to be in the background. Perhaps she doesn't like the camera's too much? I can't find a photo of her attending today's ceremony.

There will still be a mass in a few weeks I believe? I suppose more Orleans relatives will attend that one.

Last edited:
Doña Cristina de Borbón, Infanta of Spain, did attend the official and formal farewell of Don Carlos de Borbón-Dos Sicilias, Infante of Spain. That is the formal and official honour.

Besides that Don Carlos was also Doña Cristina's great-uncle, her father's best friend and a beloved member of the royal family. It is absurd to deny someone the right to attend a funeral. Come on.

Last edited:
Cristina is a source of embarrassment to Spain and the Monarchy. When her father was still King and she was member of the Royal Family she was pushed aside and didn't attend any official event. She wasn't allowed to witness her father's abdication ceremony, much less her brother's enthronement. When the foreign press writes about her is to present a Spanish princess embroiled in a corruption case, about to stand trial, reinforcing the worst image of Spain and painting the Royal Family in the worst possible light.
In Spain her reputation will never ever recover, she's toxic, a terrible burden for the current RF and one important reason that drove her father to abdication. And yet she has never made a gesture to distance herself from the Royal Family, to alleviate the pressure on them, on the contrary, when the King revoked her title she dared to try to discredit him and announced to the press that it had been her idea. The Royal Household had to issue a statement denying Cristina's claims, that's how embarrassing and disrespectful she is. There was a private funeral in Ciudad Real the day after the infante passed away, she could have attended and saved the King and her parents the heartache of seeing every TV news show, every newspaper, every gossip site, gleefully announcing that Cristina was present with the King.

If people don't see that when a royal is to be brought to trial (and in this case over stealing public money and cheating the tax agency!) it's not a case of innocent until proven guilty, but a huge embarrassment and nightmare for the RF, the government, and the whole country, and that that behaviour should not be rewarded, I don't know what to say :ermm:

Last edited:
The former King was an embarrassment too. Never an article will appear in the world media without mentioning that he shot an elephant while hunting with his maîtresse Corinna and that he is fighting various paternity claims. This did not prevent Don Juan Carlos to be present today. So the argument that Infanta Doña Cristina "brings embarrassment" can not be upheld for the one and denied for the other.

The family d'Orleans were present at the Auction of Estate of their parents.

No show up for their brother in law .

The d'Orleans brood can be relied to turn up where money is concerned.. matters of HONOUR have [throughout their history] proved an entirely different matter...

For me it's unfortunate today's headlines are not to honor an Infante of Spain and talk about his solemn funeral ... but to talk about Cristina and the trial.

Duc, the big difference is that she will sit in court in January by a corruption case. Juan Carlos admitted he had not done well, Cristina has always acted pride not recognizing any mistakes. At least until the trial was over, she could stay in the background.

Photos

Felipe VI y Letizia coinciden con la infanta Cristina en el funeral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLxGCAwaD0

Last edited:
The former King was an embarrassment too. Never an article will appear in the world media without mentioning that he shot an elephant while hunting with his maîtresse Corinna and that he is fighting various paternity claims. This did not prevent Don Juan Carlos to be present today. So the argument that Infanta Doña Cristina "brings embarrassment" can not be upheld for the one and denied for the other.

King Juan Carlos, who has done so much more good for Spain than his last few years on the throne, did nothing illegal, said he was sorry to the country in public immediately before leaving the hospital and stood down when he realised he was not the right man for the job anymore. There's no comparison at all.

He is not fighting any paternity claims, btw, only one was allowed to prosper and was quickly dismissed.

There were only primarily Spanish-resided royals or family present.

Most likely foreign royals will attend the formal funeral service which will follow. We saw the same when Prince Kardam of Tirnovo died: foreign royals turned up to attend the formal funeral service some weeks after his death. (Picture).

King Juan Carlos, who has done so much more good for Spain than his last few years on the throne, did nothing illegal, said he was sorry to the country in public immediately before leaving the hospital and stood down when he realised he was not the right man for the job anymore. There's no comparison at all.

He is not fighting any paternity claims, btw, only one was allowed to prosper and was quickly dismissed.

You know that. And I know that. But just read articles in the Washington Post, in The Guardian or in Die Welt and that nuance is nowhere to read. Then it is just an elephant-killer with a German mistress fighting paternity claims whom had to step down because he was a pain-in-the-ass for the Spanish monarchy. This is the international media framework for every article around Don Juan Carlos.

Last edited:
There were only primarily Spanish-resided royals or family present.

And yet the Duc et Duchesse d'Anjou were present...

I believe Luis Alfonso and María Margarita de Borbón reside in Spain.

Princess Adelaide d'Orleans (who also lives in Spain) was present yesterday, and I'm sure other member of the House d'Orleans will attend the ceremony next month.

Luis Alfonso de Borbón is a Spanish-born gentleman, residing in Spain so he fits in the description "There were only primarily Spanish-resided royals or family present".

Princess Adelaide d'Orleans was there yesterday. She lives in Spain so it may have been easier for her to attend. I suppose other relatives will attend the memorial mass at a later date.

Did the duke of Calabria support Don Luis Alfonso's claim? Or is he there as a relative / as the head of the house of Bourbon?

Seen the icy relationship between Don Luis Alfonso and Don Juan Carlos (the late Duke's best friend) and seeing that his very own spouse is a Princesse d'Orléans and they were married in Dreux, I can not imagine the Duke of Calabria supporting a claimant against the Orléans...

And I suppose next month the Orleans without Luis Alfonso .

Will the King and ex King of Spain attend a second time ?

And I suppose next month the Orleans without Luis Alfonso .

Will the King and ex King of Spain attend a second time ?

When foreign royals will attend, then I expect the King and Queen of Spain again. By the way, Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón and Prince Jean d'Orléans have attend ceremonies in each others' presence and did so with courtoisie. No problem. Prince Henri d'Orléans is in his 80's and not in good health. It is possible he will request his son to take the honneurs for him. Especially since the father of Prince Jean's spouse -Princess Philomena- was a close confidant, councillor and secretary to Infante Don Juan, Conde de Barcelona. He must have known the late Don Carlos from his earliest years on, being the best friend of Infante Don Juan Carlos.

Last edited:
I was wrong , I saw a picture of Princess Helène d' Orleans widow of Count Evrard de Limbourg Stirum.

He mentioned that Infanta Margarita was there with her husband but there's no mention of Infanta Pilar nor have I seen any photos of her,what a pity Infanta Alicia was unable to attend but understandable given her advanced age.

Members of the Spanish, Two Sicilies, Bulgarian, Portuguese and French Royal Families as well as members of the Imperial Family of Austria attended the funeral.

I do not really know what would be best to do Cristina. I am between both views. But maybe she talked to her brother before coming to the funeral.

I'm the same. Half of me thinks that Infanta Cristina was just paying her respects to a deceased relative though the other half of me thinks that her attendance was a little controversial.

I'm quite sure she's close to the late Duke's eldest daughter, Princess Cristina. But given the recent news about her trial, I'm not surprised Infanta Cristina chose not to attend a public event like this.Perhaps she's abroad and will attend the funeral tomorrow or the other ceremony in November.

Thanks for the information. What about the relationship between Cristina and the Duke himself (as my original question asked) - is it known of? :)

King Juan Carlos looks really sad, he was certainly very close to his cousin. And poor Princess Alicia, it must be so painful to lose a child, especially at her advanced age.

Is the lady next to the new Dowager Duchess one of the late Duke's sisters?

I agree about Infanta Alicia, losing a child (and at any age too) must be one of the most painful things to experience. I think parents should never have to outlive their own children, though sadly this happens sometimes.

I am not sure why Infanta Christina's attendance is viewed as controversial. Given the occasion, she just paid her respects to her departed relative.

Last edited:
:previous: I agree. When it comes to death and the farewell to loved family members, I would say that arguing she should not have been there merely reflects a hardness of heart and consequent unforgiveness.

She did not arrive with the rest of the SRF and I am in agreement that King JC did every bit as much to damage the position of the monarchy as Christina. Yet a family funeral is just that, family. Filled with the good or bad feelings of those who may have not even spoken to each other in years, but when it comes to a funeral, all should be put aside.

Did I miss the presence of Prince Carlo and Princess Camilla of Bourbon-Two Sicilies? I thought that the two rivalling branches of the House of Two Sicilies have reconciled?

In this set of photos by Vanitas, you can also see Simoneta Gomez-Acebo, daugther of the infanta Pilar and Alfonso and Maria Zurita, son and daughter of the infanta Margarita. On photo #30 you will see count Louis and countess Belem of Limburg-Stirum and prince Kyril of Bulgaria.

Edit:
according to Guy Stair Sainty, Pss Chantal of France and her husband baron Axel Sambucy de Sorgue also attended the funeral. He also states that it was difficult to travel to Madrid due to strikes of air traffic controllers in France. Due to these strikes also the high speed trains between Paris and Madrid were fully booked. Still over 120 relatives attended.

Last edited:
The website of the other claimant to the headship of the House of Two Sicilies still has no word about the death of Infante Don Carlos... (link)

Of course the other branch of the House has mentioned it on their website... (link)

Even when you do not accept the late Prince Carlos as head of the House, he still was a Prince de Bourbon, a Prince of the Two Sicilies, an Infante of Spain and should have been honoured as such by "the other side". Probably Don Carlo and his spouse Camilla were too busy living their jet-set life.... What a missed chance.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has already been posted though Princess Helene, Countess of Limburg Stirum was also at the funeral:

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/w...ttend-Corpore-Insepulto-Mass-kS02JtW_lwYl.jpg

In the photo she's with Simoneta Gomez-Acebo.

I am not sure why Infanta Christina's attendance is viewed as controversial. Given the occasion, she just paid her respects to her departed relative.

I think for some, it's due to the NOOS scandal (even though we don't know if Cristina was actually involved in the business itself) and that she wanted to show up at an event where there would be cameras so that she could be in the news.

After thinking about this more I think I'm now leaning more towards the point of view that she was simply paying her respects to a deceased relative.

It was effectively an intimate and royal ceremony, not at all a State Ceremony. The only state authority attending was the Minister of Justice and this for his formal role as guardian of the royal burial site in El Escorial. So complaints that Infanta Doña Cristina 'profiled' herself during a formal state event are unjustified. She did attend a last farewell to her grandmother's brother, her father's best and lifelong friend and a fellow Infante de España.

Back
Top Bottom