Death of HRH The Duke of Parma 18 August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Bourbon-Parma.gif

HRH Prince Carlos Hugo, Duke of Parma and Piacenza, Head of the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma, has died.

He died at 8am, Wednesday morning, August 18, 2010 in Barcelona, Spain.​

As to the following article a book of condolence will be placed on the website
of the family. The prince will be buried in the family crypt in Parma, Italy.
An additional memorial service will be held in Madrid after the funeral.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 80, was he suffering from any illness?

My condolences to the family,
May he rest in peace.

He was suffering from prostate cancer, his illness had been announced some time ago (see his thread).

Here is the official announcement of the death of the Duke.

The funeral will be celebrated at the Sanctuary of Santa Maria della Steccata, in Parma; the date will be announced in the next days.
He'll be buried in the vault of the Sanctuary.

How sad!
But on the other side, he is not suffering any more...:sad::sad:

It's well he lived so long to meet his granddaughter Julia & see his children's (Carlos & Margarita) happiness in marriage.
Now he will be their guardian angel.:angel:

Sad news , my he rest in piece. Lucky he visited the Pope with his four children.

I noticed on the italian annoncement that only his 3 unmarried sisters are mentionned and not Françoise de L and his brother Sixte.

He knew he was dying.... may he rest in peace...

Call me ignorant if you like but what exact link did he have with the Dutch Royal family ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke was married from 1964 to 1981 to Princess Irene, sister of the present Queen Beatrix.

My condolences to the Ducal House and their many friends at this sad time.

I want to wish the family my condolence. This is really sad news.

Death of Prince Carlos Hugo of Borbon-Parma, Duke of Parma and Plasencia, 18 Aug 2010

The Royal and Ducal House of Borbon-Parma ("Borbone di Parma" in Italian, and "Bourbon-Parme" in French) announced today the death of His Royal Highness Carlos Hugo, Duke of Parma and Plasencia:

Borbone Parma - Home

The Duke of Parma was born in Paris on 8 April 1930, a son of Prince Xavier of Borbon-Parma and Madeleine of Bourbon-Busset, and died today in Barcelona of prostate cancer. He was a Carlist claimant to the throne of Spain. On 29 April 1964 he married Princess Irene of the Netherlands - a marriage that caused a political crisis in the Netherlands at the time - and which produced four children: Carlos, Prince of Plasencia; Jaime, Count of Bardi; Margarita, Countess of Colorno; and Maria Carolina, Marchioness of Sala. The Duke of Parma and Princess Irene divorced in 1981. He was estranged from his brother Sixto and his sister Maria Francisca, who hold ultra-conservative views, but enjoyed good relations with his other three sisters, Maria Teresa, Maria de las Nieves, and Maria Cecilia. He also maintained good relations with the Dutch Royal Family.

The religious marriage of the Duke's eldest son was originally scheduled for August 28 but has been postponed.

The funeral will take place in the Constantinian Magisterial Basilica in Parma (Italy); the date has not been announced yet.

My condolences. May this lovely man rest in peace after his gallant fight against cancer. I'll say a prayer for his children and for Princess Irene.:sad:

I wish the family my condolences at this very sad time !

I presume Carlos' wedding will be postponed?
Borbone Parma - Home
Yes i do believe that the wedding was postoned some days before the death of the Duke, due to his grave condition ! no new date has been set for the wedding as yet, besides which theres the period of mourning to contend with, does anyone know the length of mourning is ?

I presume Carlos' wedding will be postponed?
Borbone Parma - Home

:bourbonparma:
That was already announced a week ago,Carlos and Annemarie had decided to postpone the wedding to a later date not yet set.Now,what was to be their weddingday,will see the funeral of their beloved father and father-in-law.Too sad.

The Municipality of Wijk by Duurstede where HRH Princess Irene has her residence decided to have all national flags at half mast,as has the Province of Utrecht where Wijk by Duurstede,and Soestdijk Palace,is part of.Allthough divorced,both Princess Irene and the late Duke kept a good relationship once the initial pain of the separation was over,they remained close.The late Duke was also very close to all his former in-laws as he was always a close and dear friend to HM Queen Beatrix and always invited at all major family occasions.He will be sadly missed by all.

The late Duke will be interred in the family crypt at the Santa Maria della Steccata at Piacenza,Parma on saturday august 28th.

His remains will be flown to The Netherlands on friday august 20th,after which He will lie in State at
the Fagel Pavillion in the Noordeinde Palace gardens.

On monday august 23rd the remains will be flown to Parma and Piacenza where the general public can pay their respects,
followed by the interment in the family vault.

At a later date a Memorial Mass will be held in Madrid.

Borbone Parma - Home

R.I.P.

Last edited:
My Condolences to his family and friends.

Poor Princess Irene and the children.

:bourbonparma:

Not exactly a,or the,funeral but a Memorial and farewell from Spain as the body will be flown to The Netherlands tomorrow.
Very moving,about 300 persons attended the service.

Duke Carlos Javier and Duchess Annemarie as well as TRH Prince Jaime,Princesses Margarita and Maria Carolina and three sisters
of the late Duke of Parma,Marie Therese,Cecilia and Maria de las Nieves were in attendance.

The wreath in the back with the blue ribbon is from TM King Don Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain.

May I ask which decoration the new Duke of Parma is wearing ?

Back
Top Bottom