Death and Funeral of Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria - 5 Oct. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How sad. My condolences to his family, especially his mother, the Dowager Duchess. Lose a child at her age, that's horrible.

Sad news but not surprising. He has had health issues for some time now, though at times he was well enough to attend public occassions such as the abdication of king Juan Carlos and the enthronement of king Felipe VI.

May he rest in peace.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2015/10/05/estilo/1444071118_049066.html

http://www.diezminutos.es/famosos-c...primo-y-amigo-del-rey-emerito-don-juan-carlos

http://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...icilias-primo-hermano-de-juan-carlos_1048715/

El Pais writes that he never failed his cousin, king Juan Carlos. The newspaper also says that he died in his house 'La Toledana' in Retuerta del Bullaque, between Toledo and Ciudad Real.

Last edited:
Requiescat in pace.
Good that he lived so long to see his youngest grandchild.
His mother will probably follow him soon...

My condolences to the family and especially the mother. No mother deserves to watch the death of a child. :sad:

I am sad for his wife Princess Anne d' Orleans , but he was so ill.
Carlos was Infant of Spain , the last one.
His wife was never Infanta.

The second son in law of the late Count and Countess de Paris who passed away. The first one was Count Evrard de Limboug-Stirum, Princess Hélène's husband.

Last edited:
As Marengo said, it's a sad news but not surprising. I knew he was in frail health, but I had no idea that his condition was so grave and has been such for several years.
My condolences to his family.

I hope the Duke of Castro will attend the funeral of the late Duke of Calabria.

How sad for his family,I had read he was ill of late.Rest in peace Don Carlos,Infante of Spain, Prince of the Two Sicilies, Duke of Calabria and Count of Caserta.

Last edited:
Oh, RIP. How sad. He used to be a quite important personality at my city (I'm from Ciudad Real). I will miss seing him at the Corpus Christi Day as he used to show up every year.

On the other hand, how nice is that he will be buried at El Escorial. That is a big honour and we'll get to see a burial there after a long time, which is a great thing for me at least.

His father is also buried at the Pantheon of Infantes at El Escorial I believe.

:previous:

I believe his father is also in the Pantheon de los Infantes at the Escorial, as is his paternal grandmother Mercedes, Pss of Asturias.

I suppose the last funeral at this pantheon must have been that of Infante Don Jaime de Borbon y Battenberg, Duke of Segovia. IIRC the late count and countess of Barcelona will go to the Pantheon de los Reyes?

Yes, also Infante Alfonso is buried there indeed, near to his mother Infanta Maria de las Mercedes and his brother Infante Fernando.

After the Duke of Segovia, also Infante Luis Alfonso (born Prince Ludwig Alfons of Bavaria in 1906) was buried there in 1983 and three years later also Infanta Isabel Alfonsa, Princess of the Two Sicilies and Countess Zamoyska by marriage was buried in the Pantheon of Infantes.
IIRC they are currently buried in the "pudridero".

The Count and Countess of Barcelona are currently in the "pudridero" of the Pantheon of the Kings, where they will be buried in a number of years.

Last edited:
Was He the last Infant of Spain for the moment or will the Duke of Noto , his sun , be Infant now ?

Was He the last Infant of Spain for the moment or will the Duke of Noto , his sun , be Infant now ?

Up until his death Don Carlos was the only Infante of Spain having being created one by King Juan Carlos in 1994 by royal decree,his son is not an Infante unless Felipe VI grants him that title.

After the Duke of Segovia, also Infante Luis Alfonso (born Prince Ludwig Alfons of Bavaria in 1906) was buried there in 1983 and three years later also Infanta Isabel Alfonsa, Princess of the Two Sicilies and Countess Zamoyska by marriage was buried in the Pantheon of Infantes.
IIRC they are currently buried in the "pudridero".

Are they also in the pudridero? I thought it is only for those who are to be buried in the Pantheon of the King's.

Are they also in the pudridero? I thought it is only for those who are to be buried in the Pantheon of the King's.

I believe the last person to be interred at the Pantheon of Kings was was Queen Victoria Eugenia, grandmother of Juan Carlos and that there were only 2 spaces left?

I believe the last person to be interred at the Pantheon of Kings was was Queen Victoria Eugenia, grandmother of Juan Carlos and that there were only 2 spaces left?

Yes there are only 2 places left which will be for the Count and Countess of Barcelona as was the wish of King Juan Carlos.
But my question was if those who are buired in the Pantheon of the Infantes also have to be in the pudridero first.
I thought the pudridero is only for those who will be buried the Pantheon of the Kings because the Urns are very small.

From my understanding the pudridero chamber houses the remains of Monarchs/Consorts for 25 years before being re interred at the Pantheon of Kings.

AFAIK there are two "pudrideros".
One is near to the Pantheon of the Kings and houses the remains of the Kings and of the Queens, who are to be buried in that Pantheon. Currently it houses the remains of the late Count and Countess of Barcelona.
The other is near to the Pantheon of the Infantes and houses the remains of the Infantes who are to be buried in the Pantheon of the Infantes. It houses currently the remains of Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia, of Infante Luis and of Infanta Isabel, Countess Zamoyska.

Will now his son become The Duke of Calabria or is the title not inheritable?

My condolences to the family of Prince Charles, Duke of Calabria. :sad:

Unlikely, for the Duke of Noto to be created an Infante of Spain by King Felipe V. Carlos' creation was a special gift from his first cousin and good friend, King Juan Carlos as they had grown up together, and Carlos provided support to his cousin.

Will now his son become The Duke of Calabria or is the title not inheritable?

Most likely, but this will not happen until after the funeral. The two heads agreed to recognized each other titles in the recent reconciliation, but it is not yet known if this recognition will include succession of the titles.

Back
Top Bottom