Death and Funeral of Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria - 5 Oct. 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
My deepest condolences to his family. I am sure we will see most of the Familia del Rey paying their respects.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links lula. Nice that there was a small ceremony with guards.

What are these cheering & screaming school children doing there at a funeral?

Thanks for the links lula. Nice that there was a small ceremony with guards.

What are these cheering & screaming school children doing there at a funeral?

They are children of Alfonso XII Royal School in El Escorial. So it is normal to see them in events held there.

Maybe we can expect Prince Henri d'Orléans, Chef of the House of France and brother-in-law of the deceased, to attend the Funeral. The mother of the deceased, Princess Alice, is still living and a Princess de Bourbon de Parme by birth. The Duke of Parma would come handy to represent his own House as well his cousin the King of the Netherlands.

Last edited:
Has there been any sightings of HRH Infanta Alicia,Dowager Duchess of Calabria?

Maybe we can expect Prince Henri d'Orléans, Chef of the House of France and brother-in-law of the deceased, to attend the Funeral. The mother of the deceased, Princess Alice, is still living and a Princess de Bourbon de Parme by birth. The Duke of Parma would come handy to represent his own House as well his cousin the King of the Netherlands.

My guess is that he will perhaps attend the Memorial Service. And probably also other members of Orléans Familya. And probably members of the Families of Württemberg, Schönborn-Buchheim, Savoy-Aosta

Last edited:
T.M.King Juan Carlos,Queen Sfia,HRH The Infanta Elena in attendance at the Lying in state at El Escorial en Madrid.

Belga Image - Editorial

Thank you , one of the photos also shows Pss Adelaide of Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
May he RIP. Although the Duke of Calabria was in his old age, I was still surprised to read this news.
I can understand the reasonings for her absence, though I'm curious; do we know if Infanta Cristina had a good or bad relationship with the Duke of Calabria?

Has there been any sightings of HRH Infanta Alicia,Dowager Duchess of Calabria?

Here is a photo of her. She is seated next to former King Juan Carlos and Simeon of Bulgaria. :flowers:

I can understand the reasonings for her absence, though I'm curious; do we know if Infanta Cristina had a good or bad relationship with the Duke of Calabria?

I'm quite sure she's close to the late Duke's eldest daughter, Princess Cristina. But given the recent news about her trial, I'm not surprised Infanta Cristina chose not to attend a public event like this.Perhaps she's abroad and will attend the funeral tomorrow or the other ceremony in November.

Here is a photo of her. She is seated next to former King Juan Carlos and Simeon of Bulgaria. :flowers:

King Juan Carlos looks really sad, he was certainly very close to his cousin. And poor Princess Alicia, it must be so painful to lose a child, especially at her advanced age.

Is the lady next to the new Dowager Duchess one of the late Duke's sisters?

Last edited:
[....]
King Juan Carlos looks really sad, he was certainly very close to his cousin. And poor Princess Alicia, it must be so painful to lose a child, especially at her advanced age.

Is the lady next to the new Dowager Duchess one of the late Duke's sisters?

I learned that the late Infante was not only King Carlos' cousin, they also had the same age, went to the same school and the two were family, best friends, schoolmates and "colleagues" all their lives long. It must feel as a serious blow for Don Juan Carlos.

:previous: I couldn't feel less symphaty for Cristina, but I honestly couldn't care less if she goes to this funeral. It's not an official event, nothing is about the Spanish State here It's a private, familiar funeral and she belongs to the late Infante's family. If she's welcomed there by don Carlos' family, I'm fine. As long as she doesn't appear in an official event as a representative of our country, I'm completely fine. And, as a reminder, the Noos case has yet to be judged, for God's shake.

On the contrary Annie, it's an official event, the official funeral mass of an Infante of Spain at the Royal Site of El Escorial. There's press coverage and the Minister of Justice is present representing the Government, as well as representatives of National Heritage and the Monastery of El Escorial, a site so entrenched into the history of the Monarchy.
There was a private funeral mass on Tuesday at the Infante's state in Ciudad Real Cristina could have attended, this official funeral mass was organised by the Royal Household, and in case anyone forgot she embarrassed herself trying to discredit her brother the King and the Royal Household just three months ago when she was stripped of her title, and this week she was in the news again because there's a date set for her and her husband's trial. She has no shame, no respect towards her brother, the Crown and Spain.

Could spot in some of the pics the Duke and Duchess of Braganza and Archduchess Anna Gabriela of Austria nect to the members of the spanish RF and the Siclies Family.
Was the coffin carried of the Escorial again and then in or where the pics where the King and Queen together with the Duchess of Calab ria welcome the coffin made in one of the Inner Courts of the Escorial?

[...] She has no shame, no respect towards her brother, the Crown and Spain.

Does Spain not know the principle that one is considered innocent unless proven guilty? Judiging from your words, you have already nailed her on the cross...

The late Don Carlos was a brother of the Infanta's grandmother, was a close family friend, was her father's very best friend even and was an Infante de España. It is no more than normal that Infanta Doña Cristina did attend this sad farewell, of someone whom was so close to the royal family and someone with the same royal rank.

:ermm:

Last edited:
The family d'Orleans were present at the Auction of Estate of their parents.

No show up for their brother in law .

The problem is that Cristina always seeks to do it when there is more attention from the media. She could have attended on Tuesday the private mass in "La Toledana", or the funeral chapel yesterday. But she has to go to the big official event, chaired by his brother the King.

Discretion, prudence and respect are not in her dictionary... it is regrettable that instead of honoring the Infante Carlos, now the press will only discuss the controversial appearance of Cristina. She knows, and does not care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCQBMF198DE

The problem is that Cristina always seeks to do it when there is more attention from the media. She could have attended on Tuesday the private mass in "La Toledana", or the funeral chapel yesterday. But she has to go to the big official event, chaired by his brother the King.

Discretion, prudence and respect are not in her dictionary... it is regrettable that instead of honoring the Infante Carlos, now the press will only discuss the controversial appearance of Cristina. She knows, and does not care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCQBMF198DE

But this was the funeral, the official funeral of an Infante, in the presence of the King. This was the last farewell. Yesterday was "just" a build-up for today's events, yesterday was about visiting the Chapelle Ardente and greeting the deceased. Come on, let us be fair, Doña Cristina had every right to be there and she was correct in honouring the late Infante. I am sure Don Carlos would have expected nothing less from his cousin Cristina, than to be there at his last farewell.

Last edited:
:previous: I couldn't feel less symphaty for Cristina, but I honestly couldn't care less if she goes to this funeral. It's not an official event, nothing is about the Spanish State here It's a private, familiar funeral and she belongs to the late Infante's family. If she's welcomed there by don Carlos' family, I'm fine. As long as she doesn't appear in an official event as a representative of our country, I'm completely fine. And, as a reminder, the Noos case has yet to be judged, for God's shake.

I'd agree with that too Annie,infact I'd have been surprised if she wasn't there and had she brought Inaki I'd have been shocked!

I think if you want to honor a person and his family, and you know that your presence at the funeral will attract criticism from the press and will be controversial, you keep yourself in the background. That is to have dignity and respect.

I do not really know what would be best to do Cristina. I am between both views. But maybe she talked to her brother before coming to the funeral.

Back
Top Bottom