Cryptic reference to Queen Margherita's affair

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lissydan

City
San Antonio
Country
United States
I am currently researching the life of Queen Margherita, for a novel based on her life, and recently came across the name of a town in Apulia (southern Italy) named for her: Margherita di Savoia. The very brief Wikipedia article on the town makes this cryptic reference to why the town's name was changed to that of the Queen: "It was given this name in 1879 in honour of Queen Margherita of Savoy, who had an important love affair in the town; previously it had been known as Saline di Barletta."

While I have found references to the many adulterous (as well as pre-nuptial) love affairs of her husband, Umberto I, this is the lone reference I have come across concerning Margherita. If anyone could give me assistance in this, I would appreciate your efforts in that.

The Italian page of Wikipedia contains no reference to this "love affair". Maybe it is simply a bad translation in English of an Italian text, stating that Queen Margherita loved the town and for this reason the name of the town was changed from "Saline di Barletta" to "Margherita di Savoia"

I'd be trying to get in touch with local guides, historians, etc. via social media to ask about this. Social media because I can't afford the research trip. :lol: But that's where I would start to look.

The Italian page of Wikipedia contains no reference to this "love affair". Maybe it is simply a bad translation in English of an Italian text, stating that Queen Margherita loved the town and for this reason the name of the town was changed from "Saline di Barletta" to "Margherita di Savoia"

Agree, I suspect something has been lost in translation :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom