Who is the Head of the Imperial Family?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not insist he is waging a war against her. I just say he could have a rightful claim.

Yes, he has one. Or better, he had. He was I think about nr. 200 in line to the throne according to the laws of succession valid in the Uk, but lost his place when he married a Catholic.

On the one hand you accept that there was inheritance through the female line to this Ilya, on the other hand you make fun of the same case of inheritance through the wife of a duke of Holstein-Gottorp. Sounds strange to me.

I do not make fun. I point out to the rightfulness of the Kishkins' claim, as they inherited their rights, contrary to Holstein-Gottorps, who wrestled it from each other in coups.

I may be mistaken, but it seems to me he was something like No. 70.
Ernst August's place in the line of succession to the British throne comes via Queen Victoria's eldest daughter and, if he was still in the list, would be in about 400th position.
King Harald of Norway will soon be pushed into the 70th position.
source: Line of Succession

l thought this was a Russian Throne thread ?

http://russianwelfare.org.au/pdf/imperial.pdf

Again l ask interested people to read this recent PDF and see what it says on the memorial head stone --what is the name on it ? according to the Russian Comunity ?

the file is both in English and Russian -- great photos too !

Stepan

:previous:
This is a very well-presented album of Grand Duchess Maria's visit to Australia in September 2007. Noteworthy is the semi-official nature of the visit which included meeting with various State Governors and accommodation at Government House in both Brisbane and Melbourne, formal visit to the Australian Parliament, and a formal reception given by the Russian Ambassador.

The only non-reigning royal in the World to give out decorations and titles is Mariya Vladimirovna, which shows what type of "royal" she is.

If the monarchy is to be restored in Russia, who will become the Tsar of All Russia ? Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna or Prince Nicholas Romanov ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the monarchy is to be restored in Russia, who will become the Tsar of All Russia ? Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna or Prince Nicholas Romanov ?

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Lev Lvovitch.

SIDOROFF said:
The only non-reigning royal in the World to give out decorations and titles is Mariya Vladimirovna, which shows what type of "royal" she is.

That is nonsense, the Duke of Parma bestowed titles on all his 4 children in the 90-ties, and he hands out orders too. The 2nd Duke of Calabria does the same thing (handing out -or some even say selling out-) orders, and there should be many others. In Germany a few royals even went as far as to adopt people for money, so that they could use the last name 'prinz von X'.

It is clear you have a strong opinion about Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna, but it is not based on correct facts.

The Duke of Parma and the 2nd Duke of Calabria are not "royal", they are "ducal".

SIDOROFF said:
The Duke of Parma and the 2nd Duke of Calabria are not "royal", they are "ducal".
SIDOROFF, you really need to do some basic royal research before continuing to make incorrect statements of fact.

HRH the Duke of Parma is the Head of the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma, and HRH the Duke of Calabria is the (disputed) Head of the Royal House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.

SIDOROFF, you really need to do some basic royal research before continuing to make incorrect statements of fact.

HRH the Duke of Parma is the Head of the Royal House of Bourbon-Parma, and HRH the Duke of Calabria is the (disputed) Head of the Royal House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.

And both are the - hm, how do you call that correctly? - Heads of their family orders which have a long history and are still honoured, so they can bestow the membership of these ancient and acknowledged orders according to the rules that govern these orders. The fact that HM The Queen of the UK is the head (?) of the Order of the Garter and the Order of the Thistle does eg not make these orders superior to the Order of the Golden Fleece, founded in 1430, which in his Spanish part is governed by the HM The King of Spain (reigning) and in his Austrian part by Karl Habsburg-Lothringen, who is not reigning but the current Head of the House of Habsburg-Lothringen.

This topic is controversial. By “royal” I mean starting from King and above.

She holds the de-jure rights of the Imperial House of Romanov as Head of the House and that includes the right to confer personal honours, titles and determine the House Laws. Same as any other formerly reigning house.

Maria is recognized as the Head of the Imperial House by the Russian Government, but in the event of a restoration, anyone could be chosen to succeed to the throne.

Maria is recognized as the Head of the Imperial House by the Russian Government, but in the event of a restoration, anyone could be chosen to succeed to the throne.

Oh, I see. However, did she not decide to attend the state burial of the Tsar Nicholas II and his family or something because she did not think that those mortal remains were those of her relatives etc ?

Oh, and .., doesn't Prince Michael accept Prince Nicholas Romanov or somebody as the rightful head of the House of Romanov or whatever ?

Please tell me.

Last edited:
I do not make fun. I point out to the rightfulness of the Kishkins' claim, as they inherited their rights, contrary to Holstein-Gottorps, who wrestled it from each other in coups.

Ultimately, they all wrestled it from on another in coups.

Oh, I see. However, did she not decide to attend the state burial of the Tsar Nicholas II and his family or something because she did not think that those mortal remains were those of her relatives etc ?

Oh, and .., doesn't Prince Michael accept Prince Nicholas Romanov or somebody as the rightful head of the House of Romanov or whatever ?

Please tell me.

Maria chose not to attend the burial because the Russian Orthodox Church did not accept the remains as being that of the imperial family at the time.

I don't know Prince Michael of Kent's position on who is the head of the house, but Nicholas Romanov is most certainly not. He is a morganatic descendant and not the senior male in any case.

My view has always been that we need to go back to the manifesto of Grand Duke Michael when he decided not to accept the throne and passed the Imperial power to the Duma until such time as there was a vote on the dynasty. As he handed power to the Duma this brought the dynasty to an end and power lay with the Duma from that time on. It was his wish that they debate and vote both on government in general and the Crown and therefore it is a matter for the Russian people if the Crown is restored and also in my view that would wear the Crown.

I do not accept Maria's claim for a number of reasons but mainly because of the actions of GD Kyrill in taking his troops from the Alexander Palace and thus leaving the Empress and her family un defended and in extreme danger and swore allienge to the revolutionary powers and this breached his oath of office to the Tsar and committed, in my view, treason. In fact the people he went to with his troops sent him away in disgust at his actions.

Maria's attitude to other members of the Romanov family is a disgrace and she shows no respect to the Russian people when she said recently that she would be willing to live in Russia if they accepted her as head of the dynasty. This is a matter for the people to decide and only goes to show her views of the Russian people -v- her own personal interests.

There should be in time a full debate in parliament and the country with perhaps a referendum on the subject of restoration and who is restored as there is more than one candidate.

I have to disagree. Maria's claim can't be made void because of the actions of a relative, even if it's from that relative that her claim stems. That was monarchy is, you don't get a choice whether the ancestor to the successor is a good person or not. I think Maria's been more than accomodating to the other Romanovs, she simply doesn't like them pretending to be things they're clearly not. Let's face it; Maria undertakes world-wide official visits, she's accepted by a fair few Royal Families worldwide, she's extremely active in Russian life, she's very proud of her heritage and promotes Russian culture, she does a vast amount of charity work, she isn't in the least opportunistic, she realises that any return of a monarchy to Russia needs the Russian people's support and she's a good Orthodox Christian accepted by the Russian Church as the real head of the family. Now let's measure that against Elizabeth II - she undertakes official visits, she promotes British culture, she's proud of heritage etc etc. In my view Maria is definately monarch material and she puts herself head and shoulders above the other pretenders by refusing to get involved in family arguments and making Russia her priority. When you measure up Nicholas against Maria, there's simply no question of who is the Head of the family. He does sweet FA for Russia, his only priority is to accumulate titles and medals and swank about at foreign weddings. So practically he isn't nearly as right for the position as the Grand Duchess and as has been said here numerous times, his claim lineage wise is inferior to Maria's.

My view has always been that we need to go back to the manifesto of Grand Duke Michael when he decided not to accept the throne and passed the Imperial power to the Duma until such time as there was a vote on the dynasty. As he handed power to the Duma this brought the dynasty to an end and power lay with the Duma from that time on. It was his wish that they debate and vote both on government in general and the Crown and therefore it is a matter for the Russian people if the Crown is restored and also in my view that would wear the Crown.

That was very well put. I also feel that GD Kyrill forfeited his right to sucession by his treasonous acts. Maria V, by virtue of descent from a traitor, cannot hold the throne that her ancestor betrayed.

However, I really haven't seen the Russian people clamoring for a royal family.

since Alexander III decreed in 1886 that the title of Grand Duke be restricted to the sons and grandsons of the tsar, the titles died with murdered tsar IMO. The correct style would be princes and i assume share equal rank.

"It was his wish that they debate and vote both on government in general and the Crown and therefore it is a matter for the Russian people if the Crown is restored and also in my view that would wear the Crown. "
i agree michaelHR, thank you for your thoughtful post

i quote Prince Rostislav Romanoff in 1992
"The Romanoff family today consists of some twenty nine members. We are a family all of whom, except for Vladimir Kyrilovitch, his heirs and his father before him, have respected the wishes of my great-grandmother, the Dowager Empress Marie Feodorovna, that there should never be a question of a pretender or successor to the throne of Russia by the Romanoff family in exile. The questions could and should only be decided by the Russian people in Russia at the time appropriate to them"

"GD Kyrill forfeited his right to sucession by his treasonous acts

I've always thought this, Not a Pretender, he's always been a vile example of a traitor, when he was Commandant of the Palace Guard in 1917, he quickly sold out his birthright marching under a red flag through the streets of Petrograd!

Most likely bbb, Kyril did it to save his arse what with the purge of Romanovs going on around him. But it doesn't speak well of his courage, or lack of . . .:rolleyes:

GD Kyril and courage and not words that I would place in the same sentance. He was a traitor to the Tsar and his Country by his actions in 1917 and nothing can erase that. There are other reasons why I do not feel his line can assend the Throne such as his Mother's religion, his marriage and of course his son's marriage and thr fact that George is a Prussian Prince and I am not convinced that Russia wants to put a member of the German Imperial family on their throne after all that has happended.

As I said earlier I feel in light of GD Michael's wish that the matter go to the russian people. If they vote for a crown then so be it. If they vote Maria then so be it but if they vote for someone else then so be it.

I find it slightly offensive that Princess Maria Romonova spends part of her time handing out titles that no longer exsist and have not done so since 1917 and, as we have seen, tries to trash every other member of the family to ensure that she and only she is seen as a possible sucessor to Nicholas II when there are other persons who may have a claim.

She is in the same position as other members of the family with regard to marriage due to her parents and is not in a position to throw stones.

If her son George does not make an "equal" marriage or does not marry at all that will be the end for her line once and for all.

I feel the Russian people should decide how their country is run and by whom and in what fashion.

Grand Duchess Maria Wladimirovna is a Grand Duchess of Russia by fact of being the daughter of the late Grand Duke Wladimir, former Head of the Imperial House of Romanov and thus de-jure Tsar.
This is all a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing. Cyril was disqualified due to his mother's tardiness in accepting Orthodoxy. It doesn't matter WHEN Cyril's wife accepted it--it was too late. Also Catherine The Great's son passed a law preventing ANY female from ascending the throne ever again. Cyril wasn't ever in a position to change inherited titles; HIS children would be ONLY titled Prince or Princess. All changes he made were to further his progress toward his empty goals and courtiers who hung on to him sycophantly believed (still) they were receiving benefit from a fantasy restoration. Marie is NOT a Grand Duchess much less the head of the house of Romanov. I have met and spent time with Romanovs whose bloodlines are pure and not diluted by morganatic or divorced marriages--they politely ignore her and her son. The senior branch of the House of Romanov is represented today by Prince Nicholas (Nicholaeivichi) who is supported by the above-mentioned family members. Also recognized by Queen Elizabeth IIin public at a reception. The next house which would be considered would be the Michaelovichi). Both these houses use the appropriate term "prince or princess" So, you're influenced by one side of the story but might want to do a little investigation.

She's a pompous pretender and eats too much. :cool:

There is nothing in the Pauline Law disbarring Cyril from succeeding. It's a matter of historical record that Maria Pavlovna converted to Orthodoxy in 1908 and her children remained in-line to the imperial throne. Cyril's son, Vladimir, succeeded to his father's position as Head of the Imperial House and was born of an equal marriage (Victoria Melita was a Princess of the UK and daughter of Grand Duchess Marie Alexandrovna and Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh).

While it's true there certainly are questions about Vladimir's marriage and whether Maria should be considered a dynast, there is no question Nicholas Romanov was morganatic and is not the senior male agnate in any case. He has no right to be Prince of Russia or His Highness because his mother was not royal.

None of the current Romanovs are in compliance with the Pauline Laws and the dynasty died with Vladimir's death.

This is all a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.
Hardly fury, dear Susana. Just the facts. :D

Also Catherine The Great's son passed a law preventing ANY female from ascending the throne ever again.
Care to cite this law? Don't bother, I'll save you the trouble of searching for something that doesn't exist :flowers:. Here is the text of Article 30 of the Fundamental Laws (which Tsar Paul promulgated):
"When the last male issue of the Emperor's sons is extinct, succession remains in the same branch, but in the female issue of the last reigning Emperor, as being nearest to the throne, and therein it follows the same order, with preference to a male over a female person; but the female person from whom this right directly proceeds never loses this right."
Hmmm, sounds like females have succession rights after all :queen4:.

I have met and spent time with Romanovs whose bloodlines are pure and not diluted by morganatic or divorced marriages
So, you're influenced by one side of the story but might want to do a little investigation.
May I endeavor to suggest that perhaps it is you who has been unduly influenced by one side of the story, and thus could benefit from further unbiased study on the subject? :reading:

She's a pompous pretender and eats too much.
How do you know if HIH is pompous (or anything about her character, for that matter)? Have you ever met her? And how are you so well-informed as to be aware of the Grand Duchess's eating habits?
Purely my opinion, but: detractors of the Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna would probably be taken slightly more seriously if they could participate in discussions about the Russian succession without resorting to such childish remarks (ie commenting disparagingly about someone's figure and personality). ;)

And I would love to know just who these Romanovs are that are "pure and not diluted by morganatic or divorced marriages", a criteria none of the current descendants meet.

They are ALL morganatic under the strictest interpretation of the Pauline Law. Given that point, Maria Vladimirovna arguably takes precedence since the senior line male, Dimitri Iliynsky, is an American and carries no titles of nobility.

How can ya'll talk about the 'dynasty' passing through or to a woman? It wasn't happening guys. The oldest living MALE descendent of a tsar would have been ruler after Michael abdicated. Some say GD Nicholas some say GD Cyril but at any rate it could not and would not involve a woman. AND it was rather presumptous for Cyril and his son PRINCE Vladimir to generously bestow titles they had no legal or dynastic right to bestow. PLUS the Romanovs I've met and spent time with don't acknowledge Maria--they seemed to pointedly ignore her. Queen Elizabeth II recognizes Prince Nicholas Romanov (note that he doesn't affect a grand ducal title which isn't his) as the Head of the House of Romanov. You can bestow all the titles you want but you can't change laws of succession in a defunct dynasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom