Who is the Head of the Imperial Family?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COUNTESS said:
It is all moot. They can argue about this, until the cows come home (An American expression), it, really, doesn't matter.

Ditto, you can come up with any argument or theory for or against Maria or any other cousin to be the head of the family.

When Grand Duke Vladimir died all the other branches of the Imperial Family had lost their rights because of morganatic marriages.Grand Duchess Maria is the rightful Head of the Imperial House if we read carefully the laws of Paul I.

That is Maria's position on the matter, which is a matter of dispute with the other branches of the family. They contend that Vladimir married unequally making Maria as morganatic as they are.

Given that point, Maria would not be the Head of the House as she is female and there are morganaut males that take precedence ahead of her. In reality, however, she is the sole dynast remaining because her father was already the Head of the House when he married. The Tsar was the only arbitrator of whether any marriage of a dynast was equal or not.

After Nicholas II the "de iure" Tsars were Kyril and Vladimir.

Isnt it between
Prince Nicholas Romanov and
Grand duchess Maria vladimirovna
But I think Maria is the rightful head nevermind because she us female , I just think because she is the one closest by blood to the last czar Nicholas ii through his uncle Vladimir alexandrovich she is also a decendent of queen Victoria through her grandmother Victoria Melita who married her cousin Cyril vladmirovich .

I just wonder, what would it take ot put an end to this ridiculous squabbling.

When Grand Duke Vladimir died all the other branches of the Imperial Family had lost their rights because of morganatic marriages.Grand Duchess Maria is the rightful Head of the Imperial House if we read carefully the laws of Paul I.

None of the Romanovs anticipated that Communism would end as soon as it did and few planned on ever returning.

I think the squabbling is because Maria is a woman and because her ancestors were the first to renounce loyalty to the Tsar when the Revolution came. No doubt they were saving their skins, or thought so, but it probably still rankles many who revered the royal family.

Apparently she went to the wedding of Prince Albert and (now) Princess Charlene.

because her ancestors were the first to renounce loyalty to the Tsar when the Revolution came.

I think that's it really. She's so greedy for a throne and the body of the Dowager Empress was barely cold when Kiril staked his claim to be Head of the Imperial Family. Since then it's been a family split and Maria has claimed that only she and her (at hte time) mother and now her son are the only 'real' Romanovs and the rest might have the name, but not the rights.

Did she really come to the wedding, and did she come alone ?

Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna was accompanied by her son.

Last edited:
Hehe, she really keeps him on lockdown, no? :)

Very interesting tidbit here. Thanks for keeping us posted on her whereabouts.

I just wonder, are the contesting heads taking into consideration the wishes of Russia? It should be up to Russia and the Russians, not the Romanovs themselves. Prince Nicholas seems interested more in moving forward while Maria is still eager to find out more about the death of Nicholas II and seems to really want a throne of her own to plonk down on. It's like Maria is holding it over the heads of the Russians all the time. A restoration is something that would be a massive undertaking and a restoration could never be done in it's past form.

This situation has irritated me for a heck of a long time. It seems that they just can't resolve this issue. If 100% of Russians said they wanted their Tsar back tomorrow; would these people start another war trying to decide who would sit on the throne?

If 100% of Russians said they wanted their Tsar back tomorrow; would these people start another war trying to decide who would sit on the throne?

I think Maria would end up hiring a bunch of snipers while the opposing side would kidnap her and stuff her full of doughnuts, hoping she has a heart attack.

I think Maria would end up hiring a bunch of snipers while the opposing side would kidnap her and stuff her full of doughnuts, hoping she has a heart attack.

LOL! One can actually envision such a scenario...wouldn't put it past either camp. :whistling:

Ok screw these crazy folks, centuries ago Russia chose who they wanted to be their Tsar and they chose Michael Romanov. If it ever came that they wanted the system to return, I say the choose again; hopefully from amongst the Romanov family.

I just don't know how on earth such a rivalry can last for so long.

I think that's it really. She's so greedy for a throne and the body of the Dowager Empress was barely cold when Kiril staked his claim to be Head of the Imperial Family. Since then it's been a family split and Maria has claimed that only she and her (at hte time) mother and now her son are the only 'real' Romanovs and the rest might have the name, but not the rights.

Grand Duke Cyril had already assumed the Head of the Imperial House in-exile before the death of the Dowager Empress Marie. His claim was indisputable under the Pauline Laws and was publicly supported by almost all of the remaining dynasts.

The split comes down to whether you accept Vladmir's marriage to a Bagration princess as equal under the Pauline Law. The male descendants take the position she was not royalty and, therefore, Vladimir could not possibly transmit rights to the throne to Maria over the rights of the surviving males.

Am I being too naive and nostalgic in thinking that after what the family went through and how close they were to being wiped out; that this argument is freakin tedious? You would think they would get a long better after the revolution and all this stuff about morganic marriages and such wouldn't matter.

At hte moment the nobility of Russia (other than Maria) have settled on the descendant of Grand Duchess Xenia and with Prince Rotislav as the Heir. Basically and Oldenburg.

So there are 3 "claimants"
Maria
Prince Rostislav (descended from Xenia)
Nicholas Romanovich

Supposedly Prince Nicholas supports Rotislav and Maria is still determined to have Georgi as the one who will inherit.

You mean one of the Windsors? That would certainly be a cruel irony; the Windors deny the Romanovs asylum and then go figure, inherit the Russian throne.

You mean one of the Windsors? That would certainly be a cruel irony; the Windors deny the Romanovs asylum and then go figure, inherit the Russian throne.

Im not Russian or British but even I have to go Whitney Houston and say "he-- to the naw"! It's bad enough the BRF has so many of the Romanov jewels.

It's bad enough the BRF has so many of the Romanov jewels.
"Bad enough"? At least some of them still exist and are still worn. The BRF has but a fraction of "the Romanov jewels"; if Queen Mary hadn't bought what she did, most of those would have been broken up into engagement rings and other trinkets long ago.

actually there is a fiction book about that involving prince michael of kent becoming the new tzar the novel is called Icon

That would certainly be interesting, with Princess Michael as the Tsarina.

I jsut wonder, why would they (the Romanovs) want to bother with the whole country. Many disputed heads might have made 'unequal' marriages, but it was mainly because they didn't presume that they would go back to Russia or that anything that has happened, would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom