Videos and Links to Russian/Romanov websites

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, there's me ;D and everyone else on this part of the forum :) No really, I honestly like Massie better. Awesome job on all sites, your own and others :)

How many Romanov historians are out there anyways?
Robert k massie
Greg king ...
Penny Wilson
Coryne Hall
the Crawfords
Ian Lilburn
Christopher Warwick
Edvard Radzinski
Julia Gelardi
My Darling Peter Kurth
And I'm not even scratching the surface.

Great websites, everyone. Thank you for posting them - we lurkers are appreciating them, thought you should know.

What about Helen Rappaport as a Romanov historian?

I don't know, if this youtube channel was already mentioned here in the forums - "The Romanov royal Martyrs"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn5qoubm8zVqOY-Mn9O8nVA/videos

It consists of some, mostly short videos about and around the end of the imperial nuclear family. They are very well made and excerpts from a book of the same title.

Of, course, as you can imagine by the title, they are a bit apologetic but worth a try!

At the before mentioned youtube-channel "The Romanov royal Martyrs" are new videos - collections of photos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn5qoubm8zVqOY-Mn9O8nVA

One is about the vacations of the Imperial Family at Livadia/Crimea. Around nine minutes of at least to me largely unkown black and white photos.

The second vid is about the captivity in Tobolosk. Around eight minutes.

Another flick with pictures from "The Romanov royal Martyrs" channel at youtube. Mainly of summer enjoyments...

To imagine, that the kids got murdered...:sad:

And another vid with pics from the "The Romanov Royal Martyrs" channel at youtube. Just indirectly linked:

It shows in a lot of photos mainly the Emperor, his son and the daughters in Mogilev/Belarus, at the headquarter of the Imperial Armed Forces, "Stavka".

Interesting: The Emperor, albeit a military amateur, took personal command of the General Staff in 1915. And the Empress? Was probably back in the capital, decommissioning ministers...

The cruelty of the war is not to be seen here... just the Emperor and his beautiful children...

And this makes me wonder: Why has the Emperor taken personal command of the armed forces? Does anybody here in The Royal Forums know this? And why has the Emporer not waited for the opponents to attack first? The Russian People has been always willing to endure unbelievable pain and sacrifices, if it was in a holy defence war... But for the vanities of an Emperor?

Imperial Yacht "Standart"

And yet another vid with pics from the "Romanov - Royal Martyrs" channel at youtube. This time about the Imperial Yacht. Just indirectly linked:

"The Standart was an Imperial Russian yacht serving Emperor Nicholas II and his family, being in her time -late 19th/early 20th century- the largest Imperial Yacht afloat. The correct pronunciation of the yacht is Shtandart (Штандарт) and it was built by order of Emperor Alexander III of Russia, and constructed at the Danish shipyard of “Burmeister & Wain”, beginning in 1893. She was launched on 21 March 1895 and came into service early September 1896.

The yacht was manned and operated by a crew from the Russian Imperial Navy. During the reign of Nicholas II, Standart was commanded by a naval Captain, although the official commander was a Rear Admiral. Her commander in 1914 was Nikolai Pavlovich Sablin.

In 1907, Standart ran aground on an uncharted rock off the Finnish coast. Although damaged, the yacht did not sink and was repaired and soon returned to service.

The Russian Imperial Family was vacationing on the Standart during the summer of 1914, when they received the news of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, in Sarajevo. With the outbreak of World War I, Standart was placed in drydock. After the fall of the Romanov Dynasty, Standart was stripped down and pressed into naval service. She was scrapped at Tallinn, Estonia, in 1963." (ibid)

A video of a talkshow on C-Span, in which Simon Sebag Montefiore promotes his book "The Romanovs: 1613 - 1918", has been put up recently onto Youtube.

"Epic history on the grandest scale. . . . Game of Thrones seems like the proverbial vicar's tea party in comparison."— Financial Times

The vid is from 2016 and in the "The Film Archives" channel.

Just indirectly linked.

My personal take without a spoiler: In my humble opinion Montefiore circles always around absolute power, sex and that the Romanov's did not give the Russian Empire a modernizing constitution... (and by that it was somehow their fault, they were murdered).

And this is over-simplyfying:

Without the church, the bureaucracy and the nobility the Romanovs would have been the mayors of the mere capital and not much else.

Sex - what?

And the world has seen, what happened, when the Romanovs were kicked out and the self declared constitutional democrats came in.

But: He is a respected historian and one should watch the vid above!

Video about the history of the Russian monarchy:

Back
Top Bottom