Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading the article, it appears that it isn't a "gift" from the British Monarch to the Kremlin Museum, but just a loan to the Museum. So the Queen remains the owner of the Chain, if I have correctly understood.

So... I guess that we can only hope that Maria and Alexei will be buried again in 2017 or 2018.

100 years ago today saw [with the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia] the beginning of a cataclysm of vast scope and enormous tragedy. Not merely for the 'principal players', but for the entire Russian people.
Vicious civil Wars, WHOLESALE organised extra judicial Murder, repression, mass flight, starvation and barbarism on a scale never before seen was the direct result...
So [imho] it's 'God save the Tsar'.. who for all his manifest faults was a better,more caring ruler of his peoples than those who usurped him.

They were all terrible. The Russian people never had a fighting chance. The Tsars were uninterested in improving the lot of those underneath them. Please don't mention freeing the serfs. You then had to educate them, fed them and grant them land. The Tsars and family lived in enormous splendor. Beyond any other reigning monarch. The war did not improve their lot, but at least they got education and work. Either way it was a great failure.

100 years ago today saw [with the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia] the beginning of a cataclysm of vast scope and enormous tragedy. Not merely for the 'principal players', but for the entire Russian people.
Vicious civil Wars, WHOLESALE organised extra judicial Murder, repression, mass flight, starvation and barbarism on a scale never before seen was the direct result...
So [imho] it's 'God save the Tsar'.. who for all his manifest faults was a better,more caring ruler of his peoples than those who usurped him.
In history, there are no givens or History knows no "if". The enlightened regimes viewed Russia's Byzantine approaches as alien. The enlightened western Europe detested/detests/will detest Russia in all its forms. Hopefully new generations of tough pragmatic Russians will take care of the country.

Last edited:
I wonder how things would be if the European nations in the West ever faced what Eastern Europeans have had to.

In history, there are no givens or History knows no "if". The enlightened regimes viewed Russia's Byzantine approaches as alien. The enlightened western Europe detested/detests/will detest Russia in all its forms. Hopefully new generations of tough pragmatic Russians will take care of the country.

One thing I will never understand, is why the West believes that Russia and Russians have to justify themselves at all. Russia does not owe anyone an explanation for her choices and the direction she goes in. The West needs to stop trying to pressure Russia to conform to Western ways.

Pistol used to execute Nicholas II exhibited in Moscow

Hi,

I know, it is a bit evil sith like and freakish, but the russian news outlet "Russia Today" has put a video on youtube, which shows the handgun, the Tsar Nikki II was killed with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRPK023R_sY

Below the video on youtube is a transcription and translation into English.

One thing I will never understand, is why the West believes that Russia and Russians have to justify themselves at all. Russia does not owe anyone an explanation for her choices and the direction she goes in. The West needs to stop trying to pressure Russia to conform to Western ways.

Fully agree.

I see sometimes instagram accounts where you can see plenty of photos of the children. Despite the political affairs (which were terrible, Russian pple was starving at that point) I cannot help but being really impressed by the tragic end overall for the children. However I know this is the way sadly History has worked until now. So sad.

:previous:

I read British author Coryne Hall's book about her.

After Nicholas ended the affair in preparation for his marriage to Alix of Hesse, Mathilde entered into a sort of menage a trois with three of his relatives.:eek::cool:

Mrs Kennedy Onassis edited a couple of wonderful books about Russia, including "In The Russian Style" and the fabulous biography of Nicholas II by Edvard Radzhinski.

Maybe she was doing research.

Mrs Kennedy Onassis edited a couple of wonderful books about Russia, including "In The Russian Style" and the fabulous biography of Nicholas II by Edvard Radzhinski.

Maybe she was doing research.

I didn´t know it I am gonna try to read something of this. Thanks!

On the BBC show "Antiques Roadshow" a photoalbum with private photos of the last Tzar and his family turned up in Wales.
I hope the photos will be published someday, would be a shame if they stayed in a safe...

Tsar Nicholas II: HIS VOICE
Oh dang, it made me cry to listen to that knowing how it ended. Poor guy and his poor family.

You are so right, we need to watch out for Russia because it's potentially dangerous and I understand some of Europe's apprehension because of the Cold War; but I am beyond tired of the West trying to dictate what is best for people in other countries. I understand Russia has always been on the "outside" of all things Europe and many Western Europeans have never understood the country or it's people; but I think people can get a better understanding by not being condescending or combative.

Last edited:

They don't, but since they wanted to become an ally and part of European Culture, they failed to progress at the same time of European advances. Russia's culture was far more primitive. Their hatred for Jews and the pogroms they encouraged were no worse than the Nazis. Their own people living in abject poverty with shoes made from the bark of trees, clothing in tatters in the late19th century, early 20th century, was an anathema to some extent. A ruler that had no responsibility to answer to his subjects was a difficult political stance. Nicholas should have been a farmer. He was a good man and he liked that idea. Alexandra was kind, but her self absorption and her over used hysteria and lack of knowledge of her surroundings made her a failure, also. Their deaths were a travesty in justice.

From the Instagram of Håkan Groth, a swedish born antique expert and dealer, author and photographer.

At Tullgarn Palace, Sweden. From 1909:
A page open in the guestbook at Tullgarn with the signatures of the last Russian Imperial family's visit 28 June (15 June Russian date) aboard their ship Standart. 'Nicolas, Alexandra, Olga, Tatiana, Marie, Anastasia and A (for Alexis)'. This was their last official foreign state visit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXdgDeEnXw9/?taken-by=hakan_groth

I'm reading Massie again, it's like my third time. I was wondering if somebody could give me a good definition of Cossack. The word frequently appears in the book and this time I would like to know what significance they have to the story.

Cossacks by the 18th Century had been transformed into a semi military state down in the Ural Basin. Kind of like Knights of the medieval times. During the Tsarist times they were used as police and anti-terrorist service. They guarded boarders and led attacks on what was considered undesirable to the Tsars, like Jews. They often instigated pogroms against them.

Nicholas and Alexandra (Alix of Hesse, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria) were very much in love and well-suited, even if they did not have particularly strong or decisive personalities. Alexandra did come under the spell of Rasputin, but she should not be blamed for the Russian Revolution, nor for her family's eventual unconscionable and cruel slaughter.

The historical denigration of Alexandra reminds me of how Queen Marie Antoinette of France is always blamed for the French Revolution and for the way the revolutionary captors and guards sexually abused, starved and tortured her four-year-old son to death during his four years of despicable, isolated captivity.

Meanwhile, the aggressive, scheming, sexually promiscuous, powerful and victorious Catherine the Great of Russia (reputed to have had her husband killed prior to taking over the throne) is aggrandized and admired. She created The Hermitage and amassed great artworks by stealing from countries throughout Europe, Asia & Africa. Yeah sure she was great because she ruled with an iron fist and got away with it. Often those royal women who were less powerful or whose personalities were weaker are portrayed as villains when they were actually victims.

As far as the Russian Revolution, so many different historical factors were at play, and so many situations were out of the Tsar's control, even in spite of his and his wife's missteps and mistakes. It's an abiding shame that the British royals did not try to rescue their Romanov cousins in Russia. There was talk of trying to do so, but they dragged their feet because of not wanting the taint of 'overthrow by the people' to infect their rule in Britain. King George V of Britain and Tsar Nicholas II of Russia were first cousins (their mothers were sisters: Alexandra of Denmark who married Edward VII of Britain, and Dagmar of Denmark who married Emperor Alexander III of Russia looked strikingly alike, as did their sons George and Nicholas respectively).
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/king-george-tsar-nicholas-1913/

Last edited:
The Romanovs could have been rescued and sent to any corner of that VAST empire. I am certain that they didn't need to come to Britain and I am certain if there had been any objections, George V would have ended up telling everyone that he was just getting a family member out of harms way and could have explained to the royalists that he was saving fellow royals. The Danes tried to save them despite not having an empire.

Had George even tried to rescue the Tsar he may very well have found himself without a throne or empire - that is the reason why he withdrew his invitation - he was told that should he try to get them out he would be seen as a supporter of a ruthless autocrat and that wouldn't have gone down well given the political situation in the UK at the time.

As for sending them to somewhere else in the Empire - the dominions would have certainly said 'no way' and the others states would have been too 'backward' for the Russians - can you really see them settling down to live in the Caribbean or on a Pacific Islands.

Australia, Canada and New Zealand were all self-governing dominions with total control over who entered their countries.

I notice that no one suggests that the US could have taken them - Wilson who advocated so much for people's rights etc didn't lift a finger either. The supposed country that accepted anyone refused as well.

That says a lot about what democratic countries believed about the Tsar - he was a pretty awful ruler who was responsible for the repression of his people. He refused to share power and so was worse even than the Kaiser.

There was no where that would take the Tsar - simple statement.

^^ What are you, an authoritative expert historian on Russian and World history during that period?!

If you hang around and read you'll find that there are a few folks here that are very very knowledgeable about historical issues.

LaRae

^^ What are you, an authoritative expert historian on Russian and World history during that period?!

If that last comment is directed at me - the answer is 'ummm' - Yes if you count a Masters Degree in Russian and British history in the 19th and early 20th century as an expert.

Just so you know - I have two Masters Degree - one in education and one in History.

I also have a Bachelor's degree in History - with an emphasis on the Tudors and Stuarts.

I am also just starting my Ph.D in English/British royal history.

Back
Top Bottom