Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed that the empress is actually smiling in a few snaps!

:lol:

Al_bina, I like the photograph of Alexis with his drum.

Even in public surrounded by government ministers, his sister, the Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna addressed Mikhail by her own pet name for him.
Her pet name foe Mikhail was "Floppy".

In Nicholas and Alexandra, Robert K. Massie wrote:

In a second boost of enthusiastic patriotism, after returning from Moscow, Nicholas suddenly changed the name of his own capital. On August 31, 1914 the German St. Petersburg was changed to the Slav Petrograd.

Tsar Nicholas II: HIS VOICE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpEEwZBcmJg

Private moments of Tsar Nicholas II
Private moments of the last Russian Tsar and his family captured on camera before they were executed by the Bolsheviks | Daily Mail Online

Grand Duke Michael leaving Ballater Station on a visit to Queen Victoria at Balmoral.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/802496508

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. I'm amazed that the empress is actually smiling in a few snaps!

:lol:

The only photos I have ever seen of her smiling were in the period of her engagement to Nicholas and very early in their marriage. She was a beautiful young woman indeed!

Great photos Al Bina, many thanks. So many of them I believe were taken in the Crimea.

Haikko is a gracious house in the Finnish country-side where the Tsar and his family used to holiday.

Many decades ago it came on the market, and a lady who had won the lottery brought it for herself and turned it into a wonderful hotel. Imagine sleeping in the same room as a Tsarina or one of the Archduchesses.

(She sounds like a lot of fun. Her white Rolls Royce is parked out the front, and she used to let her guests borrow it to drive to the shops if they needed to get something. How generous.)

I only went for afternoon tea, but it was poignent to see the photos on the walls of the Tsar, and his family's times there - and to hear they were offered this place as a refuge, but declined.

Although not opulent or grand, it is lovely and tranquil, set on a slope that at the rear rolls down and down and down a massive lawn to the water.

There is a wooded area to the side, with paths to stroll along.

The back also has a very large terrace, and catches the sun.

The whole place is just gracious and lovely.

Here are some of my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_6353.jpg
    IMG_6353.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_6357.jpg
    IMG_6357.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6360.jpg
    IMG_6360.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_6364.jpg
    IMG_6364.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6369.jpg
    IMG_6369.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_6377.jpg
    IMG_6377.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
What is the topic of Olga, Tatiana, Maria, Anastasia and Alexei?

https://mode-tagebuch.livejournal.com/2885.html

The above link contains information about Russian couturiere Nadezhda Petrovna Lamanova, who had Empress Alexadra Fedorovna and Princess Zinaida Yusupova among her clients. The blogger mode_tagebuch provided excellent photos and closeup of Lamanova's creations. The dresses 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 in the II section belonged to Empress Alexandra Fedorovna.

Last edited:
May they rest in peace and I hope that the other bodies will be buried with the other members in the cathedral.
It was a tragedy . poor tsarevitch! who was ill during all his life and cannot be buried as his sister Maria.

There is no harm in wanting. Hopefully the descendants in question are aware of big costs of renaming.

Last edited:
The majority of the people - 67 percent - said that Russia should leave the monarchy in the past and remain a democracy.
I'm sorry if I go off topic here, but does the writer of that article not know about a thing called "constitutional monarchy"?

The Moscow Times ‏@MoscowTimes
The reign of Nicholas II began #OnThisDay in 1894. He was Russia's last Tsar. #history #russia #romanovs

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/660691505615532032

The remains of Tsar Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Fyodorovna have been authenticated by genetic analysis, the Investigative Committee's website reported Wednesday.

DNA samples taken from the bones of Nicholas II have matched with samples taken a blood-stained shirt of Russia’s last tsar.
Read more: DNA Testing Verifies Bones of Russia's Last Tsar | News | The Moscow Times

Last edited by a moderator:
Comments under the article are frightfully vacuous.

Last edited:
Why did the English monarch not send help to Nicholas? His wife was of English blood and royalty. Why weren't they put into exile in Englan?

The Royal Victorian Chain awarded by a British monarch to Russia’s last Emperor, Nicolas II, has been presented on long-term lease to Moscow Kremlin Museums from the art collection of the British Royal Family — a gesture of friendship, Russia’s deputy culture minister told a handover ceremony on Thursday.

"We are witnessing an historic moment — acquisition of a priceless relic, a symbol of friendship and cooperation between Russia and Great Britain," Vladimir Aristarkhov said. "This is especially symbolic coming on the eve of 100 years since the events of 1917 resulted in the tragic death of Emperor Nicolas II," he said.
Read more: TASS: Society & Culture - Last tsar’s award back to Russia as sign of UK friendship

Back
Top Bottom