The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Gentry

I thought Victoria Melita was her first cousin? And sister in law when she married Ernie.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

Victoria Melita was Alix's first cousin and did become her sister-in-law when she married Ernie.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Victoria Melita was Alix's first cousin and did become her sister-in-law when she married Ernie.
They were indeed first cousins through Queen Victoria, but Alix and VM were also second cousins through Wilhelmine of Baden, Grand Duchess of Hesse.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Nobility

Let me know if/when you find them, Russo!! And WHERE.
I had always heard that Marie Mignon was possibly Grand Duke Boris' child.... How funny Marie Mignon was a double first cousin to her Cyril cousins... eh?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She was also Nicholas' first cousin through Alexander II of Russia
Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 AM
Gentry

I've read this entire thread, and it's been fascinating.

There are some things I'd like to mention about Alix. First, she was a devout Lutheran, and her hesitation regarding marrying Nicky was based on her hesitancy regarding the need to convert to Orthodoxy. When she was finally coaxed into conversion, she really went "whole hog", as many converts do. Her immersion in Orthodoxy and its mysticism made those who had been born to Orthodoxy very uncomfortable. Not to mention her disapproval of the racier Russian court whose ladies displayed far more of their skin than she was used to, and whose dalliances were perhaps less than discrete!

It's awfully unfair to compare Alix with Minnie, who went to Russia as Tsarevna, and had many years to assimilate before becoming Tsaritsa. Nor did Minnie have the terrible shadow (to the Russian people) of coming to Russia "behind a coffin" as Alix did. I think that being fully open about Alexei's hemophilia might have only confirmed that perception to the Russian people.

I'm afraid that both Nicky and Alix were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that is their tragedy.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness

While I agree that anyone following Minnie would be at a disadvantage, from everything I've read, both by admirers and critics of Alexandra, it is doubtful Alexandra would have been embraced by the public even if she had time to assimilate before becoming Empress. I just don't think it was in her nature to be warm and affectionate.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Gentry

Vasillisos, I agree with your assessment. Alix was shy and reserved, whereas Minnie was outgoing and extroverted. However, I think had Alix not had the pressure of going into Russia directly as Empress, had she had time to become more fluent in Russian (a difficult language, from my own experience!) and had she not had the pressure to produce an heir (where Minnie had an heir and two spares!), perhaps her lot would have been less arduous. The fact that she was German didn't help much, either, unfortunately.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
While I agree that anyone following Minnie would be at a disadvantage, from everything I've read, both by admirers and critics of Alexandra, it is doubtful Alexandra would have been embraced by the public even if she had time to assimilate before becoming Empress. I just don't think it was in her nature to be warm and affectionate.
Your assessment is absolutely right. She was shy and cold by nature. It wasn't her fault. That's who she was. She wasn't suited to the job. She had a obsessive nature, making her conversion from being a Lutheran to being Orthodox to become of big focus in her life. Her, overly, religious fervor, turned the aristocracy away. She didn't make many friends.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Countess and Pamela-- I agree with both of you, and it is true Pamela that Alexandra was hampered by her sudden accession to the throne without a chance to live in Russia for years before taking on so public a role. But like Countess points out, it just was not in Alexandra's nature to perform such a crucial and public job as consort. It is difficult, if not impossible, to find a single photograph where she looks happy or even content. While many people did not smile because it took so long for the photograph to be taken, you can see merriment or happiness in the eyes but not when you look at Alexandra. And I am not just writing about her photographs as Empress, I also include her photographs as a teenager and young woman before marrying Nicholas.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Gentry

Ducky was the family nickname for Princess Victoria Melita of Edinburgh, who was one of the daughters of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh and therefore a granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Ducky first married Ernest Louis, Grand Duke of Hesse (and Alix's brother). She later divorced him, and married Grand Duke Kyril Vladimirovich of Russia.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

One has to remember that Alix suffered a major tradegy as a young girl~most of her family, including her mother, wiped out by a diptheria epidemic. Horrible.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, it was horrible, Duchessmary, but others in her family managed to cope and were not as icy and remote as Alexandra. Indeed, many were known for their nice personalities. Perhaps the tragedy of losing her mother at a young age enhanced her frostiness, rather than the death of Princess Alice being the cause of Alexandra's remoteness.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Nicholas and George V when together, were often mistaken for one another by family and courtiers. Their mothers as sisters had a strking resemblance to one another so it is understandable the two rulers resembled each other.
I sure can understand, that they were mistaken for each other (especially when they both had the same hairstyle and beard, as seen in the photo, that Dralcoffin posted).
Old 06-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, it was horrible, Duchessmary, but others in her family managed to cope and were not as icy and remote as Alexandra. Indeed, many were known for their nice personalities. Perhaps the tragedy of losing her mother at a young age enhanced her frostiness, rather than the death of Princess Alice being the cause of Alexandra's remoteness.
But different people, even two siblings, can react to the same tragedy in different ways. I don't know if Alexandra became frosty because she lost most of her family, but maybe it was a part of it.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm confused. She lost her mother, not most of her family.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
And May, was it? The baby of the family.

Russo just got back from a cruise to Alaska. One stop was Sitka where they have a Russian Orthodox church there. Inside that church are icons GALORE! Russo took many pics and as soon as the lap top transfers them over will post. The reasoning behind this is the way the icons were EVERYWHERE. I remember reading in "Born to Rule" Alix had icons covering a wall in her room. I looked at those icons and I could see how she went over board in her devotion. It's almost like someone taking astrology to the nth degree.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
An older brother also died (prince Friedrich -who fell from the window), but Alix was 1 years old at the time so that wouldn't have stayed in her mind. Her younger sister Marie died in 1878, when Alix was 6, so that must have an impression...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Erickson cites letters or diary entries written by Alexandra where she muses about the loss of people in her life and its affect on her, but although she mentions the death of May several years later, and the loss of her father, Alexandra does not mention once the death of Princess Alice. Curious.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

Russo dear, Looking forward to seeing your photographs. My better half is Greek Orthodox and several icons occupy wall space in one corner of the bedroom. A friend of mine asked about this "fetish." They can be a little overwhelming

Tags
alexandra, alix, empress alexandra, nicholas, nicholas and alexandra, tsar nicholas ii