The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 891
Read the Greg King and Richard Massie biographies and you'll see it there.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Basically one of Nicholas' uncles threatened to shoot himself right then and there in the head (in Nicholas' office) if Nicholas refused to grant a constitution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I didn't know this story; who was this uncle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
A couple of them threatened. Nicholas Nicholaivitch and who was the other? I think Sandro's father?
I don't know who the other Grand Duke may have been but my dear Russo was correct:

When the time came to make his final decision [about creating a constitution], Nicholas II prevaricated. The tsar's cousin, the tall and imposing Grand Duke Nicholas ("Nikolasha") was so furious about plans to proceed with a military dictatorship that he stormed into Peterhof and exclaimed: "I'm going now to the Czar and I will beg him to sign the manifesto and the Witte program. Either he signs or in his presence I will put a bullet through my head with this revolver."

Gelardi, Born to Rule, pp. 117-118. Her source is Salisbury Black Night, White Snow: Russia's Revolutions, 1905-1917.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-16-2011, 12:03 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Is Nikolasha, Nicholas Nickolaevich? He was one of the men put up to be head of the family after the murders.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 4,375
Yes, Nikolasha was Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich (the younger; 1856-1929); he had been proclaimed Tsar by the Zemsky Sobor of the Preamursk region in 1922.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Benedict XVI's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East Somewhere, United States
Posts: 116
Are there any good biographies on him?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:51 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Man I wish there was one on him. He was one of the few characters I like and who seems honorable when reading about the Romanovs. Then again when I read about him it is more about how Alexandra disliked him because he was so loved by the military; Nicholas took his place in command of the army during the late stages of Russia's involvement in the war and it all went downhill from there.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Benedict XVI's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East Somewhere, United States
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
Man I wish there was one on him. He was one of the few characters I like and who seems honorable when reading about the Romanovs. Then again when I read about him it is more about how Alexandra disliked him because he was so loved by the military; Nicholas took his place in command of the army during the late stages of Russia's involvement in the war and it all went downhill from there.
I do find It weird that there aren't books on the great tsar liberator.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Vasillisos Markos's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Crete, United States
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict XVI View Post
I do find It weird that there aren't books on the great tsar liberator.
My dear Benedict XVI,

You are confusing your Romanovs, I think. I am not sure what you mean by tsar liberator--the emancipator of the serfs was Nicholas's grandfather, Alexander II. Nikolasha was head of the army for a while during WWI but I never heard him described as the tsar liberator. To whom are you referring?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Alexander wanted to institute an elected parliament or Duma but his death occurred in the short amount of time preceding the planned announcement. His successor, Alexander III, tore up the plans. It is a shame because Alexander II, if he had lived, may have steered his country towards a constitutional monarchy.
I really think Alexander's assassination was one of Russia's great tragedies. He was moving Russia forward--and Russia desperately needed someone to do that. He might well have been the last decent leader Russia has had.

The People's Will, the group that assassinated him, was--imho--quite stupid and lacked the ability to think ahead.

I read a good book on the "Tsar-Liberator" a few years ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Benedict XVI's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East Somewhere, United States
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9

I really think Alexander's assassination was one of Russia's great tragedies. He was moving Russia forward--and Russia desperately needed someone to do that. He might well have been the last decent leader Russia has had.

The People's Will, the group that assassinated him, was--imho--quite stupid and lacked the ability to think ahead.

I read a good book on the "Tsar-Liberator" a few years ago.
This story is one that makes me mad. It was so close but the assassins released that if he was able to pass this law then many supporters would be lost because the tsar himself wouldn't be as responsible for there issues. And I think that if any of the history of the tsar they would learn that by killing him the tsarist repression would return.

If he only would have stayed in his carriage we wouldn't talk about him.

Norodnaya volya is the name of the group who killed him.

Do you know the name of that book?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I really think Alexander's assassination was one of Russia's great tragedies. He was moving Russia forward--and Russia desperately needed someone to do that. He might well have been the last decent leader Russia has had.

The People's Will, the group that assassinated him, was--imho--quite stupid and lacked the ability to think ahead.

I read a good book on the "Tsar-Liberator" a few years ago.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's so sad to wonder what could have happened if he had lived to implement his reforms. I can't believe they killed a Tsar who was actually for reforming the country! I can't even blame Alexander III for becoming a reactionary after seeing his father killed like that.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict XVI View Post
This story is one that makes me mad. It was so close but the assassins released that if he was able to pass this law then many supporters would be lost because the tsar himself wouldn't be as responsible for there issues. And I think that if any of the history of the tsar they would learn that by killing him the tsarist repression would return.

If he only would have stayed in his carriage we wouldn't talk about him.

Norodnaya volya is the name of the group who killed him.

Do you know the name of that book?
I get angry too and sad. So many things could have been different.

Iirc, in English, the group is The People's Will....Not that I think their will represented the views of most people. Their recruitment was quite unsuccessful.

The book is Alexander II: The Last Great Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Benedict XVI's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East Somewhere, United States
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9
I get angry too and sad. So many things could have been different.

Iirc, in English, the group is The People's Will....Not that I think their will represented the views of most people. Their recruitment was quite unsuccessful.

The book is Alexander II: The Last Great Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky.
thank you for the title and I get frustrated with the story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. It's so sad to wonder what could have happened if he had lived to implement his reforms. I can't believe they killed a Tsar who was actually for reforming the country! I can't even blame Alexander III for becoming a reactionary after seeing his father killed like that.
I think Alexander III was always a reactionary though. This simply further solidified his position. He was never going to be the reformer his father was imo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Benedict XVI's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North East Somewhere, United States
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9

I think Alexander III was always a reactionary though. This simply further solidified his position. He was never going to be the reformer his father was imo.
That is true. Although I am not much of a supporter of him I do support his reaction to his fathers death, it was to be expected for him to act the way he did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,619
In 1880 Alexander II appointed his son, Grand Duke Vladimir as President of the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,619
The Book of the Coronations of Their Majesties Tsar Alexander II and Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna was published in 1856 by the Imperial Academy of Sciences of St. Petersburg.
Seventeen lithographs and watercolors illustrate the stages of the coronation ceremony.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 1,619
The Wikipedia article on Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich mentioned that rumors circulated that Alexander II would have his son Alexander removed from the succession placing Vladimir as his heir.
Is there any further information about this?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alexander ii, catherine dolgoruky, marie alexandrovna, marie of hesse, tsar alexander ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Emperor Napoleon I (1769-1821) and Wives (Empress Josephine and Empress Marie-Louise) Toledo The Imperial House of Bonaparte 37 10-16-2014 07:40 PM
Tsar Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (Alix) (1872-1918) gaoshan1021 The Imperial Family of Russia 524 10-11-2014 08:57 PM
Tsar Alexander III (1845-1894) and Empress Marie Feodorovna (Dagmar) (1847-1928) TOMMIX The Imperial Family of Russia 142 07-19-2014 05:43 PM
Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962) Helena Dutch Royal History 109 04-22-2014 08:28 PM
Tsar Alexander I (1777-1825) and Empress Elisaveta Alexeievna (1779-1826) Marengo The Imperial Family of Russia 16 04-16-2014 05:41 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]