Tsar Alexander I (1777-1825) and Empress Elisaveta Alexeievna (1779-1826)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Alexander I, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias (St.Petersburg, 23 December 1777 – Taganrog, 1 December 1825); married in St.Petersburg on 9 October 1793 Princess Luise of Baden, babtised Elisabeth Alexeievna (Karlsruhe, 24 January 1779 – Bjelev, 16 May 1826)

Reign: 1801 - 1825

Dynasty: Romanov-Holstein-Gottrop

Predecessor: Emperor Paul I of All the Russias

Succeeded by: Emperor Nicholas I of All the Russias

Children: Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna and Grand Duchess Elisabeth Alexandrovna of Russia

Parents Alexander: Emperor Paul I of All the Russias and Princess Sophia Dorothea of Wurttemberg (Empress Maria Feodorovna)

Parents Luise: Prince Kar Ludwig of Baden and Landgravine Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt

Siblings Alexander: Grand Duke Constantin Pavlovitch of Russia; Archduchess Alexandra Pavlovna of Austria; Hereditairy Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Mecklenburg-Schwerin; Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach; Queen Catherina Pavlovna of Wurttemberg (formerly Duchess of Oldenburg); Grand Duchess Olga Pavlovna of Russia; Queen Anna Pavlovna of The Netherlands; Emperor Nicholas I of All the Russias and Grand Duke Michael Pavlovitch of Russia

Siblings Luise: Princess Katharina of Baden; Queen Karoline of Bavaria; Queen Friederike of Sweden; Duchess Marie of Brunswick; Prince Karl Friedrich of Baden; Grand Duke Karl I of Baden and Grand Duchess Wilhelmine of Hesse and the Rhine

Alexander I of Russia (Russian: Александр I Павлович / Aleksandr I Pavlovich) (December 23, 1777December 1?, 1825) served as Emperor of Russia from 23 March1801 to 1 December 1825 and Ruler of Poland from 1815 to 1825, as well as the first Grand Duke of Finland.
He was born in Saint Petersburg to Grand Duke Paul Petrovich, later Emperor Paul I, and Maria Feodorovna, daughter of the Duke of Württemberg. Alexander succeeded to the throne after his father was murdered, and ruled Russia during the chaotic period of the Napoleonic Wars. In the first half of his ruling Alexander tried to introduce liberal reforms, while in the second half he turned to a much more arbitrary manner of conduct, which led to the abolishing of many early reforms. In foreign policy Alexander gained certain success, having won several campaigns. In particular under his rule Russia acquired Finland and part of Poland. The strange contradictions of his character make Alexander one of the most interesting Tsars. Adding to this, his death was shrouded in mystery, and location of his body remains unknown.

Soon after his birth on December 23, 1777, Alexander was taken from his father, Paul I of Russia, by his grandmother, Catherine the Great, who utterly disliked Paul and did not want him to have any influence on the education of the future emperor. Some sources allege that she created the plan to remove Paul from succession altogether. Both sides tried to use Alexander for their own purposes and he was torn emotionally between his grandmother and his father, the heir to the throne. This taught Alexander very early on how to manipulate those who loved him, and he became a natural chameleon, changing his views and personality depending on whom he was with at the time. Reared in the free-thinking atmosphere of the court of Catherine, he had imbibed the principles of Rousseau's gospel of humanity from his Swiss tutor, Frédéric-César de La Harpe, and the traditions of Russian autocracy from his military governor, Nikolay Saltykov. Andrey Afanasyevich Samborsky, whom his grandmother chose for his religious upbringing, was an atypical, unbearded Orthodox priest, who had long lived in England and taught Alexander (and his younger brother Constantine) excellent English. Young Alexander sympathised with French and Polish revolutionaries, however, his father seems to have taught him to combine a theoretical love of mankind with a practical contempt for men. These contradictory tendencies remained with him through life and are observed in his dualism in domestic and military policy.
On October 9, 1793 when Alexander was still 15 years old, he married 14 year old Louise of Baden. Meanwhile, the death of Catherine in November 1796 before she could appoint Alexander as her successor, brought his father, Paul I, to the throne. Paul's attempts at reform were met with hostility and many of his closest advisers as well as Alexander were against his proposed changes. Paul I was murdered in March, 1801.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

Empress Elizabeth Alexeievna of Russia (Russian: Елизавета Алексеевна), born Louise Maria Auguste, Princess of Baden (13/24 January 1779 - 4 May/16 May, 1826) was the wife of Tsar Alexander I of Russia.

Elizabeth Alexeievna was born in Karlsruhe, on 24 January, 1779 as Princess Louise Maria Auguste of Baden of the House of Zähringen. She was the third of the seven children of Charles Louis, Hereditary Prince of Baden and his wife Amelia Frederica of Hesse-Darmstadt. Her grandfathers were Charles Frederick, Margrave of Baden and Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt.
Princess Louise of Baden grew up in a close, warm family environment. She would remain particularly attached to her mother, with whom she maintained an intimate correspondence until her death. (The Margravine of Baden outlived her daughter). Princess Louise was only twelve years old when her fate was determined. Empress Catherine II "the Great" of Russia was looking for a bride for her eldest grandson, the future Alexander I, and set her eyes on the Princesses of Baden. After receiving favorable impressions, Catherine invited the two eldest unwed Princesses, Louise and her younger sister Frederica, to Russia. In the fall of 1792, the two sisters arrived in St. Petersburg.
The Empress Catherine was delighted by Louise, finding her a model of beauty, charm, and honesty. Louise herself was attracted to Alexander; he was tall and handsome. At first, Alexander was shy with his future bride -- very young and inexperienced, he did not know how to treat her -- and she mistook his reserve for dislike. However, the young couple soon grew fond of each other. “ You tell me that I hold the happiness of a certain person in my hands,” she wrote to Alexander. “ If that is true, then his happiness is assured forever… this person loves me tenderly, and I love him in return, and that will be my happiness…you can be certain that I love you more than I ever can say,” she added. They were engaged in May 1793.
The Princess of Baden learned Russian, converted to the Orthodox Church, took the title of Grand Duchess of Russia and traded the name Louise Maria for Elizabeth Alexeievna. The wedding took place on 28 September 1793 . “It was a marriage between Psyche and Cupid” Catherine wrote to the Prince of Ligne. Elizabeth was only fourteen, her husband a year older.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

I just started reading 'Rites of Peace; The Fall of Napoleon & The Congress of Vienna' by Adam Zamoyski and her eit is said that Empress Elisabeht had an affair with Alexander's chief minister Prince Adam Czartorski. It said that the couple had a daughter. Does anybody know which daughter (Elisabeth of Maria) was mhis?

Still reading the same book, funny to see how the general public and women worshipped the Tsar while statesman like Metternich called him a spoiled child, and others noted his wo sides, autocrate but always trying to please.

Interesting info on the Emperor and Empress..... someone should do a thread on the whole Imperial Family like that - great reading.
Question... is this daughter of Paul I, Hereditairy Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, the maternal grandmother of HIH Grand Duchess Marie Pavlovna (Grand Duchess Vladimir)??
She is a descendant of Paul I, correct? Is there were HIH Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna (Princess Nicholas of Greece) go her name??

Alexander I heirs? How does it change things?

There is mystery surrounding the death of Alexander I. His body's whereabouts are unknown and it is said he secretly renounced the throne and went on to live.

Out of curisosity, if he had gone on to live and produced heirs and a line that continued til today, how would these heirs change the line of succession? I would assume that a male line would take precedence over MV and her son as well as Nocholas Romanov. But I am not an expert in the ultimately complicated succession laws.

Also, what would the differences between a Morganatic marriage and an equal effect the succession. I assume a Morganatic marriage would put these at a backseat situation.

Children of morganatic marriages are excluded from inheriting titles, thrones, or property. Often, the non-royal mother would eventually be granted a lesser title and rank which the children will take on. Example: Countess Julia von Hauke was given the title of HSH Princess of Battenberg so her children with HGDH Prince Alexander of Hesse took her HSH rank and titles.

Alexander I had two daughters by his wife, Louise of Baden, who both died young and wouldn't have been able to inherit the throne under the Pauline laws, so the throne would have passed to his brother Nicholas I as he was the closest surviving male relative. Illegitimate children are always excluded from the line of succession (like children from morganatic marriages) unless they are legitimized in some way.

Some people questioned the paternity of these daughters and said they were actually the children of Elizabeth's lover. I know Alexander I had illegitimate children though including a daughter who died in her teens or so which really devastated him.

anyone think Feodor Kuzmich was AIR
How does one explain the supposedly empty coffin??

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered about- there's a good book on it I read a few years ago. I think he likely wasn't though.

Hi, I am new on this forum and since a long time I am very interested in the Russian Imperial Family (and the French Royalty as well). I want right now to start with a question, I hope anybody can help me.

Some time ago I found this portrait by a German auctioneer who offered it as Empress Marie-Louise of France.

I am very irritated and I strongly believe this must be a fault by the company. M-L has never received the Russian order of St. Katherine, which the Lady is obviously wearing.

In my opinion this must be Empress Elisabeth Alexejewna or another female member of the Romanov family during this period. But due to the the close similarity of her face and the order I am more convinced of EA.

Anyway, in both cases this portrait seems to be a very rare example with a highly bejewelled Lady of this period.

Hopefully I am looking forward for an answer about this mistery.
EAunknown.jpg
mpress Elisabeth Alexejewna or another female member of the Romanov family during this period. But due to the the close similarity of her face and the order I am more convinced of EA.

Anyway, in both cases this portrait seems to be a very rare example with a highly bejewelled Lady of this period.
EAVergleich.gif

I found myself a copy of "Jewels of the Tsars" by Prince Michael of Greece. In it, Elisaveta is known as Elizabeth Feodorovna, nee Princess Marie of Baden. I've never seen her referred by those names anywhere else, yet I find it hard to believe that Prince Michael would make a mistake about a relative of his ancestors. Maria was one of Louise's names but she also had a sister known as Marie. Anyone know why the discrepancy?

:previous:
Sometimes such errors are not the author's fault but occur in production when a type-setter's attention drifts and the proof-reader doesn't check carefully enough.
Books that make it to a second edition will usually have these production and editing faults corrected.

Hello,

Recently I have dived into books about Alexander 1 (after reading about Napoleon I couldn't help but be facinated by the accounts that some of his aides gave of this sovereign.) I would very much like to read more work besides the importand and well known books about this Tsar. Preferably memoirs.
As happens so often I find myself lost in google world. ;) so I could realy use some help.

Is there anyone here who could and would like to share with me some titles or links?
Or could you tell me who's memoirs, of those close to Alexander, are available in English?

Sunset

How did Princess Louise of Baden select the name of Elisaveta (Elizabeth) when she became a Grand Duchess?

Living Heir of Alexander I

I know of at least one living male heir of Alexander I. He's the Great-Great Grandson of Alexander I and Countess Elena Polyakov. It's not me, as I'm the wrong gender. My Russian line goes back to Yaroslav I of Kiev, and through him, to Riurik.

There is mystery surrounding the death of Alexander I. His body's whereabouts are unknown and it is said he secretly renounced the throne and went on to live.

Out of curiosity, if he had gone on to live and produced heirs and a line that continued til today, how would these heirs change the line of succession? I would assume that a male line would take precedence over MV and her son as well as Nicholas Romanov. But I am not an expert in the ultimately complicated succession laws.

Also, what would the differences between a Morganatic marriage and an equal effect the succession. I assume a Morganatic marriage would put these at a backseat situation.

As a wedding present, his grandmother, the Empress Catherine, gave Alexander a palace. :castle3:

She was apparently very beautiful and Alexander took pity on her and her children just as he did with the Empress Josephine.

You have been busy Cyril finding all these wonderful pictures. Tsar Alexander I was a very interesting man.

Tarlita, Pictures to a response add more explanation than just the written words. One can thus see that Queen Louise of Prussia was lovely.

Yes. Queen Louise of Mecklenberg Strelitz wife of King Frederik William III of Prussia. On oct 14 th 1806, at the battle of Jena, the French defeated the Prussian army. The royal family fled to Memel, East Prussia, where they fell on the mercy of Emperor Alexander I, who rumour has it, had fallen in love with Queen Louise.

I can't remember which book I retrieved this info from sorry.

Yes. Queen Louise of Mecklenberg Strelitz wife of King Frederik William III of Prussia. On oct 14 th 1806, at the battle of Jena, the French defeated the Prussian army. The royal family fled to Memel, East Prussia, where they fell on the mercy of Emperor Alexander I, who rumour has it, had fallen in love with Queen Louise.

I can't remember which book I retrieved this info from sorry.

Poor, short living Queen Louise (still many squares, streets, parks, pharmacies etc., especially in Berlin, are named in Germany after this particular Queen) even gave one of her youngest daughters the name "Alexandra" in honour for her affection she and her husband felt for the Tsar.

Paintings and drawings including Tsar Alexander I

At the time of their marriage, Elizabeth was 14 and Alexander was 15. Were they too young to get married?

Back
Top Bottom