The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Serene Highness

My dear Erin9,

Alexandra did quite a bit when one considers her views on the autocracy, how she fought to protect the tsar's powers and her involvement in the removal of a great many ministers, who essentially were put there to run the country. Don't forget that in the famous Maple Room, she had a hidden balcony where she could lie on a chaise lounge and listen to Nicholas meeting with his ministers to discuss state matters, then she would give him advice on what to do.

And my dear Russo makes another good point--Alexandra saw many (but I don't think all) things in black and white. I think she was tolerant of some things, such as allowing others to practice religious beliefs but, like most people who are insecure, when it came to things that mattered to her or affected her, you were either for or against her. Insecure people tend to be intolerant of other points of view in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AristoCat View Post
Nicholas was retreating into the role of a constitutional monarch, but ALix kept reinforcing his belief in the autocracy...
I really just.....disagree with this. lol

I don't have much time, but for one thing, Alix was hardly the only person upset about the Duma. His mother was. Nicky was VERY upset about the the Duma. He was NOT happy about it. I really don't think he would have "gratefully" become a constitutional monarch. He didn't want to be Tsar, but he did think God put him there.

And, well, I just don't put that much responsibility on Rasputin, period. I think his importance is over-stated.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
My dear Erin9,
Alexandra did quite a bit when one considers her views on the autocracy...
IA-- she was very protective of the Tsar's powers. No argument there. But, she was hardly the only one who felt strongly about maintaining the autocracy. IA- she didn't push him in a liberal direction, but I have trouble faulting her too much for that. Russia's history was that of an autocracy. There was no history of gradual liberal reform there--setting aside the brief period of Alexander II's reforms.

I know she certainly helped keep the revolving door of ministers moving....but so did Nicholas.

I'm not certain about this, but I think I read somewhere that the hidden balcony is a myth. I'm not sure though....

I don't deny that she HAD influence. I just don't think she had AS MUCH as other people do. I don't think her being there altered the ultimate result much either.

I do agree that Alexandra saw many things in black and white terms, that people were for her or against her. I hesitate to use the word "intolerant", but she wasn't the most flexible of personalities!lol
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think Alexandra herself was the only one pushing for the the autocracy to be sustained, Nicholas himself had it drilled into his head that being an autocrat was his right I think he would have refused a constitution with or without Alexandra. She did encourage him in his beliefs because she had similar one's, but in no way was Nicholas Alexandra's passive husband whom she told to work against the idea of a Duma.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Courtier

I have to agree with you there; the combination of the two was just bad news.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Courtier

That is the very spirit of autocracy...

That the ruler himself will be blamed for the actions of anyone in the system, just as he is hailed, and immortalised for the good work done by others.
And my point here is after all the autocrats are humans..Their thoughts and actions are in no way complete or perfect. Hence there will always be some people on whom he heavily depends..either just mentally or even emotionally. All the attitudes and policies of these people are reflected in the rule of the autocrat.So it is inevitable that Nicolas II depend on someone..and unfortunately..with a very bad judgement and intuition ( in hindsight, of course), he turned to his wife..who neither comes from a ruling family..nor is aware of the Russian mindset nor tried to endear herself to the people of that country..

Ok that was that..But would Russia been still a Romanov Empire had Alexandra never interfered in the governance..Of course no way..the whole world was changing..But Russian monarchy wanted to stay behind..on the pedestal of autocracy "By The Grace Of God"..Its the simplest theory of evolution..Those who dont adapt themselves to changing environment..just perish..

Nicolas' grandfather..with lot of foresight, has started the reforms..But his father totally reversed them, only to doom his son's fate..Nicolas was hardly someone who would take charge and lead from front..So it is natural that he always prefers status quo..rather than the challenges of change..
Old 12-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Courtier

Well, Alexandra didn't do her bit in regards to socializing and making sure that the Crown was staying in touch with the people. The job of the Consort is to maintain social links and take a lead in society. She was born to that station and knew the job, but she refused to do it. She isolated herself, her husband, kids, and didn't tell the Russian people the truth about Alexei's illness. Lying and hiding it didn't help and it created a lot of mistrust. The Russians knew the Imperial Family were not telling them the truth about Alexei.

Another issue is that she let Rasputin interfere in politics and also interfered in how the war was run. She never set solid boundaries that Rasputin would only be allowed to heal her son, nothing else.