Russian Palaces

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Massandra Palace, Yalta, Crimea

In 1881 Prince Vorontsov engaged a team of French architects to design for him a chateau in the Louis XIII style. He died the following year and construction work was suspended until 1889, when the messuage was purchased by Tsar Alexander III. The tsar asked architect Maximilian Messmacher to finish the palace for his own use but he did not live to see it completed in 1900.
During the Soviet years, the palace was used by Joseph Stalin as his dacha.

Massandra Palace
... these photos were taken in April 2009. I posted the photos of both the exterior and interior. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Massandra Palace looks very lovely. Thank you for showing the pictures, AnastasiaEvidence. It made me want to visit this palace and other Russian palaces and castles as well.:)

Massandra Palace looks very lovely. Thank you for showing the pictures, AnastasiaEvidence. It made me want to visit this palace and other Russian palaces and castles as well.:)
You're welcome! I'm glad that you like the Massandra palace, Chantalc. ;)
I like to post photos for many members to see how beautiful the Russian Palaces are.

Photos of the Alexander Palace exterior 1

For Warren's sake... I wrote the title.
"Photos of the Alexander Palace exterior":

Information about the Alexander Palace

Home to the last Tsar of Russia, Alexander Palace may not be one of the most impressive palaces in the country, but it is certainly steeped in history. Located just 15 miles from St. Petersburg, Alexander Palace is situated on the Tsarskoe Selo estate. Alexander Palace is definitely worthy of attention.
Tsarkoe Selo estate takes in some 1 482.6 acres of land, chiefly donated by Peter I to the Russian court way back in 1701. The original palace on the grounds of Tsarkoe Selo was only a 16 room summer palace. Peter I had it constructed for his wife Catherine Alekseyevna. His daughter, Elizabeth, later had the palace enlarged and improvements were made. Years later Catherine-the-Great also added her input to the Alexander Palace. She spent much time on perfecting this project. This new palace was built for Catherine's gandchild, Alexander I. Alexander Palace was given to Alexander and his bride in 1793 as a wedding gift. He too contributed to the design of the remarkable Russian palace.
Alexander Palace's chief architect was Giacomo Quarenghi. The palace was designed to be a home and was thus simple, but elegant. In the end the design left out ornamental structures and expensive interior additions. It certainly cost much less than the opulent Romanov summer palaces. Even ornamental statues planned for the roof were removed to further simplify the design. The final product included both Roman and Paladin styles with a touch of Neo-Classicism. The facade that greets visitors is marked by a double row of columns which link two pavilions, making up the entire Alexander Palace structure. Perpendicular wings creating the courtyard of the entranceway give the palace an urban feel. In the 1830s the Alexander Palace was adorned with two bronze statues. Located in the central colonnade they provide images of young men who are playing Russian games.
In 1905, Tsar Nicholas II and his family came to reside at Alexander Palace. He remained her until August 1917, the date when he was taken with his family by the Bosheviks. They were later shot in 1918. In 1997 the “Recollections of Alexander Palace” exhibit was set-up in the left wing. Alexander Palace holds a unique place in the history of the Russian monarchy.
Alexander Palace, Russia | By Russia Channel

Attachments

• Russia Livadia Palace, Yalta, Crimea.jpg
    Russia Livadia Palace, Yalta, Crimea.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 5,135
  • Russia Livadia Palace, Yalta, Crimea 1.jpg
    Russia Livadia Palace, Yalta, Crimea 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,003
In college, I wrote a history paper on the Yalta conference. This paper was a requirement for graduation. I focused on what the superpowers wanted to do with Poland and after researching the topic, decided that Roosevelt was taken in by Stalin and essentially consigned Eastern Europe to its fate under the Soviets. Roosevelt was very ill and died shortly thereafter and this contributed to his decision but Churchill saw through Stalin and said the wolf was at the door.

I find this news item fascinating because you would think that some kind of deed or document would be in existence to show who is the legal owner of the building. It seems that one or the other side of this dispute should prove the history of the place, how and at what point did it become used as a governmental/national building from being a "private" or "princely" residence all those years ago. There's one thing for sure: I wouldn't want to be the one to walk in and ask the Russian president to move out!

Hum It seems to me that the Great Prince of Kiiv and family confiscated the land and little kremlin of one of his vassal.
So Why to ask for the return of the Kremlin to the current leaders and to refuse that the descendants of the massacred boyard ask them (Rurik family) for the return ?

And in France why would not all the Bourbons of the world ask for the return of Versailles? And the French people would not ask that the part of the taxes which served to build the palace is not paid off by Bourbons?

I find it strange that the Rurik descendants would make the claim. The majority of the structures within the Kremlin with the exception of the Churches were built under the Romanov's. Maybe the Romanov's will make a claim on their ancestors properties.

Mme Xenia Sfiris went back to St Peterburg to lay claim on the Yussupov Palace, being the last surviving descendant. Since the Palace was private property till the revolution came about, one would think she had better chances than the Romanovs would. She was politely and sternly told that the government does not and will not return any of the properties it claimed after the revolution..:whistling:

I was reading about life at the Alexander Palace under the last Tsar's reign. During feasts and huge dinners, there needed to be TWO servants for each guest because Russian Court Etiquette demanded that dinner last only 45 minutes, maybe an hour but never longer! At the same time, there were seven courses served at dinner: fish, soup, fowl, salad, entree, roast, dessert, sweets. And woe to the diner who place knife and fork on the plate, perhaps to have a sip of wine (Nicholas II was reputed to have the best wine cellars in Europe). This was a cue to the servants to remove the plate immediately, never to be returned. And because each course had to be strictly timed, a slow eater (like me) would see the food whisked away when hardly any of it had been touched.

Wouldn't it be grand to have been witness to such a sumptuous feast?

The catherine palace
The Alexander palace
The winter palace
Pavolsk palace
Kremlin palace
Yussupov(moika) palace
Constantine palace
Peterhof palace
Oraniebum palace
Yelagin
Livadia palace
And the list continues....but which is the most beautiful?
And are there any books or movies about the Russian palaces?

Peterhof palace in tsaskoe selo was built to rival that of the palace of Versailles but compared side by side I think they are both wonderful especially the fountains and canals

The winter palace in St Petersburg is a magnificent palace/museaum too bad the romanovs didn't like it very much because it was very cold in the winter but I like it and wish to someday go there myself to see what the romanovs saw and walked

The moika palace of the yussupov family is said to be one of the most spectacular Of palaces

The country and winter residences of the Romanov family where the romanovs have lived located in St. Petersburg and tsarskoe selo

I wonder what goes though a russian's mind when they pass by or hear constantly about a Romanov palace or a place

Russia truly had the best palaces I have ever seen. The Winter Palace alone is the best palace I have ever seen, the only thing that comes close is probably Versailles and/or Hampton Court.

Sure, they didn't have to answer to anyone for their expenses. They didn't care what they spent, they were, toally, self-indulgent.

And how is that any different from any other group of people who think they are somehow "royal" and/or "better" than anyone else. Numerous royal houses played the self-indulgent game, I just think the Russians have the prettiest palaces to show for it.

Do you have any photos to post of the Winter Palace and the Alexander Palace in Tsarskoe Selo?

The Alexander palace was the palace of Nicholas II and his family and located in tsarskoe selo right near the Catherine palace. It was the residence where Nicholas II and his family were able to get away from the city.

Attachments

• image-3991509863.jpg
    image-3991509863.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 329
The winter palace was a winter residence of Nicholas II and his family as well as other czars and their families but after a certain czar Alexander III? it ceased to become a royal residence and now is known as the hermitage museum where great pieces of art are housed throughout the past palace of the imperial family as well as Romanov belongings including gowns and military uniforms.

Attachments

• image-514334119.jpg
    image-514334119.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 336
Back
Top Bottom